Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,478 members, 7,770,169 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:34 AM

The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story (18503 Views)

Fate And Fortune(a Short Story) / Pleasure And Pain - A Short Story / A Cold Day In Hell ( A Short Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by Cityofdavid(m): 7:48am On Feb 04, 2015
The Wonders of Hell: A Short Story

The first time you heard about hell was when you were seven. Then, you were a naive, slender-looking boy - faultless. The Sunday school teacher, a heavy-bearded man in his early forties, painted hell as a very horrible place. He grimly told you that hell was a huge, blazing and unquenchable wild fire where sinners would everlastingly roast like cashew nuts when they died. He told you that hell was very hot and stark dark - darker than the back of your mother's pot. There will be gnashing of teeth and regrets, tortuous soldier ants and worms everywhere, your Sunday school teacher taught.

Your Sunday school teacher's teachings threatened the tots in the class on that memorable morning. Of course, it threatened you too. You didn't want to go to hell. You didn't want to roast like cashew nuts. You didn't want to live in stark darkness, like a bat, in afterlife. You hated hell and pledged to be good, to be kind to your fellow man. You wanted to make heaven, where you would wear white robes, walk on the streets of gold, play with lions, eat fresh fruits and fishes, and sing psalms to the Almighty forever and ever.

Seventy years ago, these were your wishes as a lad. But you died at seventy-seven, yesterday, and this is your first night in hell - the place that made you have sleepless night when you were seven. Still having a staunch belief about heaven, you struggled to be good in your youth. But you veered off in adulthood when the vicissitudes of life stormily confronted you. You compromised - compromise is the greatest weapon in politics, a game you mastered when you were yet alive and kicking.

The things that landed you in hell are many, very many. The newspapers and history books have them. You killed the innocent. You sent letter bombs to your political opponents. You embezzled monies that were budgeted for 'light', leaving your people in stark darkness. You rigged elections. You granted state pardon to criminals. You didn't pay salaries on time, leaving workers and their children to starve. You sent soldiers to battlefield with sticks and sentenced to death the ones who dared to protest. You falsified facts. Above all, you made too many promises that you didn't fulfil when you held public offices. Although you romanced clerics, they couldn't help you bribe your way into heaven.

On your first night in hell, you were impressed, very impressed because you discovered that hell was not exactly how your Sunday school teacher had painted it. You found out that hell, although a relatively unpleasant place, was not a burning fire, was not dark. There was, as a matter of fact, 'light' in hell. You saw unblinking, bright bulbs in the cramped room you were alloted. The room, painted red, had the breadth of a coffin and the length of a tunnel. The room looked strange but the bulbs consoled you. You loved it. You brought out the free phone you were given at the embassy of hell, plugged it to a squarish switch at a corner of your new room, thinking the light may go off any moment soon - the way it used to be in your country.

You found a little bed in the extreme of the weird room, on which you collapsed, and slept off. Your sleep was long and sound. There was no single mosquito bite - no mosquitoes in hell too?

In the morning, when you woke up, you found out that there was still 'light' in your little room. You also noticed that some demons had dropped a cup of milk and some loaves of bread on the small wooden table near your bed. You, very hungry, grabbed the loaves and gulped down the milk, free milk. Afterward, you stood up and stretched, ready to have your bath.

You undressed yourself and walked down to a door at the end of your room. There, you found a small, luxurious bathroom. You opened the shower; it vomitted water and you soaped yourself. You noticed, for the first time, that there was plenty water in hell. You felt relieved. You remembered the biblical parable of Lazarus and the rich man and wondered the part of hell the story took place. Perhaps the story was a myth, you thought.

You returned to your room and found your phone beeping. You picked it up and found a new text message. You opened it. It ran:

"Hello Chief Toga, welcome to hell. Hell is real. We believe you had a sound sleep. We've put everything in place to make you comfortable. Call 666 if you have any complain, but NEVER leave this room UNTIL you are told to do so. Best regards."

Toga, you jumped, excited, screaming as you read the text message. It lifted your soul. You have never imagined a hell where there was no torture, no worms, no fury fire. You have never imagined a hell where there was love, free milk, free food, free water, free phones and free 'light.' This hell was different, very different from the hell you made out of your country.

While you were still lost in the euphoria of the incredible hell you have found yourself, your phone rang, you picked and the voice sounded strangely familiar. It was the voice of your great grandmother. She died over a hundred years ago. She was a witch doctor.

"Hello, Toga, my great grandson. I heard you came in last night. Welcome to hell."

"Thank you," you answered, unsure of who the caller was.

"Who's this please? I don't think I know you."

There was silence, a still silence that was punctuated by deep howls. You thought the caller was a wolf.

"It's me. Mamee, your great grandmother. Welcome to hell. I heard you came in last night."

"Ah, Mamee, are you in hell too? You were surprised.

"Of course, where else do you expect me to be? There is 'light' in hell; at least it has not been interrupted in the past three hundred years. There was no 'light' in Nigeria when I died. Do you have constant 'light' now?"

"We don't."

"What about constant water?"

"We don't."

"Free and fair elections?"

"We don't."

"Good roads?"

"We don't"

"Security?"

"We don't."

"Does every citizen get a free milk every morning?"

"No ma'am."

"Unbelievable."

"These are some of the reasons I was condemned to hell."

"I don't understand. Did you squander the budget for these things?"

"Yes, mamee."

"You're a disgrace to the Kofata family. People like you do not deserve to be in hell. You deserve to be in a worse place."

You were stunned. "And where should that be?"

"Nigeria, of course. I'm dialing 666 already."

Ademule David is a Lagos-based executive.

36 Likes 8 Shares

Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by Pinnacle(m): 8:20am On Feb 04, 2015
Abeg abeg, let s free this country na. Naija is not that bad! Btw, well put together write up. I enjoyed it.

What is happening? Second time making FTC on FP this week! Surely I am in for good things this month.

Things you have been dreaming of will come your way easily this month in Jesus name!

7 Likes

Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by Maczeelly(m): 10:04am On Feb 04, 2015
Ok
Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by kika23(f): 10:05am On Feb 04, 2015
Loooooool.....
Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by falconey(m): 10:05am On Feb 04, 2015
God will take me through HELL just to see me make HEAVEN #mastermind
Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by jnrbayano(m): 10:05am On Feb 04, 2015
Satire from the quill of a swift writer cool

1 Like

Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by Burger01(m): 10:06am On Feb 04, 2015
Naija is hell, we need Buhari to make it heaven tongue

Buhari is the way forward!!!

#iHaveDecided

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by lawrenzez(m): 10:06am On Feb 04, 2015
Dis write up shaa undecided
Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by Baba419(m): 10:07am On Feb 04, 2015
Warrisdis??

1 Like

Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by Opiosko: 10:08am On Feb 04, 2015
Hmm! What a shiit of a writer..

3 Likes

Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by remsonik(f): 10:08am On Feb 04, 2015
Sarcasm at its best!! Nigeria is worse

2 Likes

Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by Jostico: 10:08am On Feb 04, 2015
shut up your funky mouth
Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by apcmustwin(f): 10:09am On Feb 04, 2015
The man to get us out of this messy hell is here .....

First, Buhari is Bokoharam
Then he wants to islamatize Nigeria.
Then he wants to introduce sharia.
then he is too old...
Then he has no ssce result.
Then he jailed corrupt people......that's a
crime to some idiots.
Then his daughter has sickle cell
Then he divorced his wife.
Now it is he must debate.
And now...... APC is a Christian party
PDP .......give it up already. This change we
must have come 14th.

4 Likes

Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by Nobody: 10:09am On Feb 04, 2015
SO YOU MUST JOKE ABOUT YOUR COUNTRY IN SUCH A MANNER AND RUBBISH THE NAME OF NIGERIA IN MUD...GOOD SIR wink

1 Like

Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by bizngr(f): 10:10am On Feb 04, 2015
Hahahaha, what a satire... I really had a good laugh. So, at the end, Nigeria is worse than hell.grin

The 2015 Nigeria General Election is around the corner and Bizngr has set up an online poll to assess the political mindset of the voting populace. Be rest assured that the results of this poll will not be tampered or doctored in any form as to favour any political candidate. This poll has been setup using trusted security measures which will help to weed off robots programmed for multiple voting.

VOTE WISELY!!! [size=14pt]CLICK HERE TO VOTE[/size]

UPDATE 10:30am on 04/02/2014:
- Goodluck Jonathan = 23% (46 Votes)
- Mohammadu Buhari = 76% (150 Votes)
- Other Candidate = 0.5% (1 Vote)
- I Don't Care = 0.5% (1 Vote)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by menesheh(m): 10:11am On Feb 04, 2015
Shiit
Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by Akalia(m): 10:12am On Feb 04, 2015
Long and boring
Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by dodoniyi: 10:12am On Feb 04, 2015
Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by Youngzedd(m): 10:12am On Feb 04, 2015
"There is only one hell, the one we live in now"
Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by iceberylin(m): 10:14am On Feb 04, 2015
Go Bleep yaself angry

2 Likes

Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by MARKone(m): 10:15am On Feb 04, 2015
undecided undecided
Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by Crixina(f): 10:16am On Feb 04, 2015
Nice piece of work!
Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by Joshkid(m): 10:18am On Feb 04, 2015
Impressive!!
Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by Nobody: 10:19am On Feb 04, 2015
Lubbish
Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by Nobody: 10:20am On Feb 04, 2015
Nice sarcasm. But try visit hell come back write another one.

2 Likes

Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by pekeyim: 10:20am On Feb 04, 2015
This is a very unprofessional write up, trying to blame 1 man for all our problems.

May God help us.
Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by PastorOluT(m): 10:21am On Feb 04, 2015
coming back to comment cos this is the kind of topic i will want to. On the road.

EDITED

Smile,, though its not what I was expecting but it was sure a good read. But unfortunately Hell is never gonna be as the picture the op painted, Hell is going to be far worse than mind would ever comprehend.

So my advice to everyone is to avoid Hell at all cost, accept Jesus today as ur Lord and personal savior and be saved and safe!

5 Likes

Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by Chrisx1x(m): 10:27am On Feb 04, 2015
I was here
Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by lamborghinifcb(m): 10:30am On Feb 04, 2015
lyk cewiozly u are a disgrace to d nation as a whole @ writer....comparing our dear nation to hell...u mzt b sick upstairs am zorry 2 say...f u kno u are tayad of dis country berra go to Gambia and reside dere or berra stil pakistan. anyway he who ghat a head ghat no cap and vice versa! cherish ur country fo once pls coz dere z no place like home. GOD BLESS NIGERIA!!!! GOD BLESS AFRICA!!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by Warlord3000(m): 10:30am On Feb 04, 2015
Sounds and looks like it was addressed to our past and current leaders cheesy

Enjoyed the sarcasm though...

Things can't get worse than it already is...

It can only get better smiley

A man who is down shouldn't be afraid of falling wink

1 Like

Re: The Wonders Of Hell: A Short Story by gozzy007(m): 10:32am On Feb 04, 2015
Naija is a hell of its own! I concur with ur article sir...

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

in dependence" By Sarah Ladipo Manyika / The Deadly Seduction / Legend Of An Ikotun Boy By Callmefemi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.