Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,993 members, 7,952,975 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:33 AM

What's The First Word You Picked Up From The Other Tribe? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What's The First Word You Picked Up From The Other Tribe? (769 Views)

Do Igbos Like Money More Than Any Other Tribe?. / Ela In Creation Myth Of Yoruba As The First Word Spoken By Eledumare / What Is The Best Habit You Picked From Someone Else? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The First Word You Picked Up From The Other Tribe? by theunusualmoon(m): 11:00pm On Feb 04, 2015
I was at a gathering today and a lady who came to lagos from the east about a week ago told me the first Yoruba word she picked up was ''were'' (pronounced weyray), which means mad person.She talked about how she heard it from conductors,bus drivers and co each time she went out and also how it seems to her like the number 1 insultive word in the yoruba dictionary.
Another friend who was with us at that time expressed his opinion by saying most times the fastest way to learn another language is by learning the vulgar and unprintable words first.
He backed up his claim by sharing the first major words he picked up during his NYSC in Abia..
I am of a different opinion because the first Hausa word I picked up was ''Saanu'' and the first Ibo word I picked up was ''Bia''.
Was the first word you picked up from another Nigerian tribe vulgar? and what was it?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The First Word You Picked Up From The Other Tribe? by Proxy001(m): 11:04pm On Feb 04, 2015
am a typical Bini boy but currently serving in akwa ibom . the first word I learnt was "ufok me" my house....
Re: What's The First Word You Picked Up From The Other Tribe? by theunusualmoon(m): 11:08pm On Feb 04, 2015
Proxy001:
am a typical Bini boy but currently serving in akwa ibom . the first word I learnt was "ufok me" my house....
ok.....We'll probably see other translations from Nairalanders soon.
Re: What's The First Word You Picked Up From The Other Tribe? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Feb 04, 2015
inakwan.......plateu state...those hausa peeps...

bia.......anambra state ......those igbo peeps....

ekpa.....delta state .....those urhobo peeps....

ekpa actually means fool....in urhobo.....

bia actually means come ...in igbo...

inakwana.....maybe how u doing or sometin like dat.....forgotten sha
Re: What's The First Word You Picked Up From The Other Tribe? by Tocheagle(m): 11:42pm On Feb 04, 2015
"Eku" this and that
Re: What's The First Word You Picked Up From The Other Tribe? by Nobody: 12:00am On Feb 05, 2015
Amu - igbo
Ikpu - igbo
Oko - yoruba
Obo - yoruba
Bura - hausa
Aboki - hausa
Abadie - akwaibom
Etongma - akwaibom, etc

I usually learn d dirty ones 1st wink
Re: What's The First Word You Picked Up From The Other Tribe? by Penssuwa(m): 6:14am On Feb 06, 2015
I learnt "agbaya nie & olodo" first in Yoruba,
"Salam' alekun & zokachi abunchi" in Hausa
Re: What's The First Word You Picked Up From The Other Tribe? by theunusualmoon(m): 7:46am On Feb 06, 2015
Penssuwa:
I learnt "agbaya nie & olodo" first in Yoruba,
"Salam' alekun & zokachi abunchi" in Hausa
Lol, I think all non yoruba's who had their primary education around the early 80's and 90's in the SW probably learnt ''olodo'' first...........olodo rabata.

(1) (Reply)

Traditional Uses Of Noni Fruit By The Polynesians / Why Dont Nigerian Musicians Praise Politicians, Sport Stars, Actors In Der Songs / Can You Guys Please Help Me Settle This Issue In My Mind Once And For All?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.