Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,727 members, 7,824,061 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:36 PM

Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? (48190 Views)

With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope / I Graduated With 2.2,can I Have My Masters In Canada? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Sep 12, 2006
ishmael:

Infact being an employee should only be for those that graduated with 3rd class or pass if that be the case that they are not too sound. Prove your 1st class or 2.1 by being self employed, else you don't worth having that 1st class or 2.1. After all people pay money to get 1st class and 2.1 degrees in nigeria because they know what nigerian employers want; just the certificate and not the knowledge and skills.

I laugh at your ignorance when i read posts such as these! Since when did those with a 1st class or 2.1 have to "prove" their "worth" by being employers of labor? In the Nigeria whose economy is in the doldrums?
I am sick and tired of lazy and unintelligent people who blame others for their own failure, is it EVERY single 1st class or 2.1 degree holder who "bought" their degrees? What were 3rd class or pass holders doing? You mean ONLY the poor are 3rd class or pass degree holders?
Why do mediocres keep inundating us with lies such as only 3rd class holders have the skills but not the knowledge? Who told you those with 1st class degrees do not have the skills to succeed too?

So a 1st class degree holder who works in Shell is only proof that he is not "too sound"? Your argument alone is enough proof that you yourself are not too sound. All hail 3rd class degree holders with all their "skills"! Funny how being a failure is now equivalent to having "skills"!

So only Nigerian employers look for high scoring candidates? What of US employers? German, British, Japanese, Chinese employers? Whom do they look for? Those without knowledge but with "skills"?
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by MyPeace(f): 4:01pm On Sep 12, 2006
@ daviddylan

I buy ur idea jari.

Most pple graduated with 2:2, 3rd classs because they were playing away their time in the campus and now they blame others for their misfortune, may not necessary be that they are not brainy - but na party and women carry them go -So they are paying for it. I dont really knw how someone will claim to be inteligent without it showing on the certificate. First class, 2;1 will always rule anyday anytime.

@ Lucifer

U funnny ooo!
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by SixSigma1(m): 5:01pm On Sep 12, 2006
All of you first class and 2.1 should go and sit down somewhere. We the drop-outs (Bill Gates), third class (Gani Fawehinmi) and pass graduates rule all the time. We are the best. We are more intelligent and have better skills than you first class and 2.1 guys.

Go to anywhere all over the world (Canada, US, Japan, Britain etc), nobody wants to employ first class or 2.1 graduates anymore because they have no skills. The only skill they have is buying their way through the university while we the third class and pass graduates study hard and that is why we graduated with pass and third class.

The company I work for, here in Canada, does not employ anybody with grade better than third class because drop-outs and people with third class grades and below are the best. In fact, we the management team (all drop outs and pass graduates from NIGERIA) are looking at changing our requirements to employ only drop outs that are Bill Gates of tomorrow to come and help bring our company to grater heights.

Davidylan, I am surprised that you were able to get into a PhD program with a first class. Count yourself very lucky because no school anywhere in the world (Canada, US, Nigeria etc) will admit first class and 2.1 graduates into postgraduates programs henceforth. All postgraduate students must be a drop-out or have a pass or third class from NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES ONLY.

Oh, I love all of us drop-outs, third class and pass graduates. Keep the flag flying. We rule the world.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by rotbog(m): 5:40pm On Sep 12, 2006
Very Funny or Is It? shocked Oops what was it again. Never mind im out.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by Radiant(f): 12:26am On Sep 13, 2006
Six Sigma, from all you've said, I can only say you a disgrace to NIGERIA and a waste to the society. What kind of talk and conclusion is that? angry You are completely wrong Mr drop out.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by SixSigma1(m): 1:42am On Sep 13, 2006
Hey Radiant, thanks for the compliments. Your response above shows that you do not understand my message.

You, Radiant, wrote in your earlier post:

Radiant (f)   

Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class?
« #39 on: September 11, 2006, 02:23 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We all talking about interviews here. I wish that could be a genuine standard for employers.Gimme a break please. Have you thought about how many people get jobs based on the result of their interview? Most jobs are through connections and for the ladies an interview isn't necessary sometimes as the alternative could be having an affair with the boss or whoever. (Prove me wrong as some of you would)  Infact, how many workers in Nigeria have a degree   Most times, productivity is what really matters not necessarily the so called "degree"
Besides, a degree in a particular field don't mean you'll end up working in that filed. I know a pharmacist who's the manager of a car company in PH.
Also know a chemical engineer working at first bank. And so many others. How d'u explain that? 

The above quote from your earlier post proves to me who between you and me is really a drop-out and a disgrace to Nigeria. Keep promoting mediocre performance under the disguise that getting most jobs depends on connections or having an affair with the boss and not on what you know. So go ahead and have a third class, then sleep with the boss at the interview to get the job.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by Radiant(f): 2:58am On Sep 13, 2006
Oh my days!!! what kind of people do we have here? Mr drop out, there's no way on this planet you can compare my post with yours. I was only saying that I wish the interviews along with the right credentials will be a genuine standard for employers. We all know the Nigerian system so it's no news. I'm disappointed by the system and didn't understand why someone will be killing himself over the UBA manager or whoever having a 3rd class. In essence, incase you still don't understand me, I'm saying they should spare Elumelu.I am not promoting mediocrity in anyway, just sad the way our system functions. undecided Besides i didn't go beyond the borders of Nigeria. You went ahead to state this [b]Go to anywhere all over the world (Canada, US, Japan, Britain etc), nobody wants to employ first class or 2.1 graduates anymore because they have no skills. The only skill they have is buying their way through the university while we the third class and pass graduates study hard and that is why we graduated with pass and third class.

The company I work for, here in Canada, does not employ anybody with grade better than third class because drop-outs and people with third class grades and below are the best. In fact, we the management team (all drop outs and pass graduates from NIGERIA) are looking at changing our requirements to employ only drop outs that are Bill Gates of tomorrow to come and help bring our company to grater heights.

Davidylan, I am surprised that you were able to get into a PhD program with a first class. Count yourself very lucky because no school anywhere in the world (Canada, US, Nigeria etc) will admit first class and 2.1 graduates into postgraduates programs henceforth. All postgraduate students must be a drop-out or have a pass or third class from NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES ONLY. [/b] Oh, I love all of us drop-outs, third class and pass graduates. Keep the flag flying. We rule the world
How could you open your mouth to make such shameful and irresponsible statements. Just go over it again and tell me if you can't find where to bury your brain angry you are promoting dropoutism (whatever that means) in and out of Nigeria and you tell me you rule the world? Bet your canadian Visa sef is Oluwole. I repeat, you a waste to this world Your company should be wrapped in a bin bag and thrown into the pit of hell.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by GNature(m): 3:17am On Sep 13, 2006
*clearing throat*

eeeh Radiant, I just want to make sure I have a good understanding of what you are saying.

Are you saying that the firm you work for in Canada hires only third class graduates and below ? Just
checking to make sure I am not mis-interpreting info.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by rotbog(m): 5:02am On Sep 13, 2006
@Radiant was only trying to be funny. Or was he? shocked. Cnt say . Anyway this is nairaland. Different Strokes. Different Folks. Diverse Views. Thats what brings me back here over and over again. And thats why Nairaland has broken several relationships. Some of us spend more time here than with our loved ones. What did I just Say? shocked shocked

Baby , baby I'm sorry. Didnt mean it. lipsrsealed       I swear!!!!!!!! cry
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by babe1(f): 5:14am On Sep 13, 2006
Ha, ha
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by ishmael(m): 8:01am On Sep 13, 2006
Radiant, that was nt fair. Six Sigma was only joking i believe. Obviously no one can take his posting serious. Because all he just said can only be imagined; it can never be true. I believe the guy was only trying to make people laugh. We could still give him some benefit of doubt if you think was n't joking.
Cheers!!
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by MyPeace(f): 8:45am On Sep 13, 2006
I think he should be my brother.

Because i cant just image such CELEBRATION of mediocrity and failure.

Anyway, if he is not joking, Nigerian system will always show them lessons.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by saintchux(m): 9:14am On Sep 13, 2006
Tony Elumelu grduated with third class, that was then, Now thing has changed. In those days, once you finish your university education a job is waiting for you. You will be given a car and a decent accomodation. But now when you graduate, you are own your own. Nobody cares for you.

My uncle was the first graduate from my Local government. He graduate in 1954, during his convocation, almost the whole town went for the ceremony, but nowaday, you will be surprised that your dad will not be around during your convocation.

You can never compare someone with a third class in those days with someone in 1st class now. Our standard are falling. U will be surprised that if Tony is subjected to the condition of education now, he would have made 1st class.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by Ynot(m): 10:05am On Sep 13, 2006
Six Sigma was trying to satirize the topic. His name says it all. Six Sigma is an industrial Quality standard developed by Motorola. You can never put failure and quality side by side.

1 Like

Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by SixSigma1(m): 1:23pm On Sep 13, 2006
@Ynot,

You wrote:

Ynot:

Six Sigma was trying to satirize the topic. His name says it all. Six Sigma is an industrial Quality standard developed by Motorola. You can never put failure and quality side by side.

You got the message 100%. Let those lazy bones and dummies like "Radiant" keep promoting mediocre performance instead of promoting world class / world best, outstanding quality performance (in education, work, living etc) as Motorola the father of Six Sigma did.

Hey buddy, Ynot, are you by any chance practicing six sigma? If yes PM me and let us share experiences.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by pssword: 2:42pm On Sep 13, 2006
2.2 degree is affectionately called the drinking man's degree, pls no disrespect intended to those who worked very hard to get the 2.2. But it usually the case that guys/gals hang out and party then end up with 2.2, when in reality there are 2.1 or 1st class candidates. These are the ones that you will find excel when they get into the work place irrespective of their degrees. However, I really think that there is no justification whatsoever for someone with average intelligence to pop out of uni with a 3rd class. Even party must get limit!
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by Genial(m): 3:33pm On Sep 13, 2006
Six Sigma:

All of you first class and 2.1 should go and sit down somewhere. We the drop-outs (Bill Gates), third class (Gani Fawehinmi) and pass graduates rule all the time. We are the best. We are more intelligent and have better skills than you first class and 2.1 guys.

Go to anywhere all over the world (Canada, US, Japan, Britain etc), nobody wants to employ first class or 2.1 graduates anymore because they have no skills. The only skill they have is buying their way through the university while we the third class and pass graduates study hard and that is why we graduated with pass and third class.

Davidylan, I am surprised that you were able to get into a PhD program with a first class. Count yourself very lucky because no school anywhere in the world (Canada, US, Nigeria etc) will admit first class and 2.1 graduates into postgraduates programs henceforth. All postgraduate students must be a drop-out or have a pass or third class from NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES ONLY.

Oh, I love all of us drop-outs, third class and pass graduates. Keep the flag flying. We rule the world.

A lesson in effective sarcasm, if I ever saw one.

Radiant:

Oh my days!!! what kind of people do we have here? Mr drop out, there's no way on this planet you can compare my post with yours. I was only saying that I wish the interviews along with the right credentials will be a genuine standard for employers. We all know the Nigerian system so it's no news. I'm disappointed by the system and didn't understand why someone will be killing himself over the UBA manager or whoever having a 3rd class. In essence, incase you still don't understand me, I'm saying they should spare Elumelu.I am not promoting mediocrity in anyway, just sad the way our system functions. undecided Besides i didn't go beyond the borders of Nigeria. You went ahead to state this [b]Go to anywhere all over the world (Canada, US, Japan, Britain etc), nobody wants to employ first class or 2.1 graduates anymore because they have no skills. The only skill they have is buying their way through the university while we the third class and pass graduates study hard and that is why we graduated with pass and third class.

Davidylan, I am surprised that you were able to get into a PhD program with a first class. Count yourself very lucky because no school anywhere in the world (Canada, US, Nigeria etc) will admit first class and 2.1 graduates into postgraduates programs henceforth. All postgraduate students must be a drop-out or have a pass or third class from NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES ONLY. [/b] Oh, I love all of us drop-outs, third class and pass graduates. Keep the flag flying. We rule the world
How could you open your mouth to make such shameful and irresponsible statements. Just go over it again and tell me if you can't find where to bury your brain angry you are promoting dropoutism (whatever that means) in and out of Nigeria and you tell me you rule the world? Bet your canadian Visa sef is Oluwole. I repeat, you a waste to this world Your company should be wrapped in a bin bag and thrown into the pit of hell.

Dear Radiant,

Please don't keep being so serious that you don't know when your leg is being pulled. It could help prevent ulcers, you know.

@ Topic,

What has the fact (if indeed it is one) that Tony Elumelu graduated with a third class got to do with anything? Did you know that Albert Einstein was told when he was in high school that he was dumb? Or perhaps you know that Andriy Shevchenko was left out of the football team of his choice during his earlier years for not being good enough at football?

Does that affect the fact that Festus Odimegwu graduated with a first class, Mozart was a child prodigy who wrote his first symphony at 6 - and remained a prodigy till his death? Or that Condoleeza Rice has consistently excelled in every area of endeavour, culminating in her appointment as a US secretary of state?

What is your point exactly?
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by pfowighz(m): 4:15pm On Sep 13, 2006
Quote from: edmondo on September 10, 2006, 06:51 PM
Whether first or third class does not really matter to me. What really matters most is your ability to deliver.

There are so many first class materials that can not defend their certificates. It's only in Nigeria that we worship certificates, that all these count. In developed countries they do not care about what you come with.
Still, I am not suprised if Tony had third class. Still he was able to turn UBA to a merged bank, right?

1. Everyone finds if very easy to mouth the oft abused phrase; "there are so many first class materials that can not defend their certificates". I wonder how many third class materials can actually defend their own certificates too. Afterall they are products of the same institutions that produced the "non-productive" first class materials!
2. Which "developed countries" are you refering to? Are you aware of the national honor roll program in the US?
Here is an excerpt from a website on the University of Oklahoma:
The University of Oklahoma Honors College has established unique requirements for graduating come laude, magna come laude, or summa come laude. Both the final transcript and the diploma carry the designation. Degree candidates graduating come laude wear a crimson satin hood with their cap and gown during the commencement ceremony.

The Honors College Office communicates directly with the Registrar's Office to determine which students earn the degree designation. The designation come laude requires:

successful completion of the 18-23 hours of honors designated course work, including one Honors Colloquia (HON 3993),
filing an honors thesis (the end result of the honors reading and research project) with the Honors Office.
both an OU Retention GPA and a Combined Retention GPA of
3.40-3.59 for come laude
3.60-3.79 for magna come laude
3.80-4.00 for summa come laude
No student subject to disciplinary sanctions for academic misconduct at the University will be graduated come laude.
(Students entering OU August 2000 or later must take Hon 2973, Perspectives. This is not a requirement for students entering the OU Honors Curriculum before that date.)

Please bear in mind that the US uses a 4.00 scale as compared to a 5.0 or 6.0 scale in some Nigerian universities.
To say that it is only in Nigeria that "paper qualifications" count is a falsehood, to further perpetuate that ignorance by claiming that developed countries "don't care" what you come out with is just plain unfortunate!
Since you allege that developed countries "don't care" what you come out with, i wonder how they determine recipients of the limited available scholarships!

Davidylan has said it ALL.

And Texxazpete, bout grading mid of class in Law schl!

See peeps, the US pay MOST attention to paper certificates oh! Cuz there, they ENSURE that a 1st class certificate is equivalent to a 1st class BRAIN, here, we dont NECESARILLY do!

In England, a graduate of Oxford, Cambridge, or LSE is a demi-god!!! WHY do pips like saying dust Its baffling!!!
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by Radiant(f): 5:22am On Sep 15, 2006
Y'all slaves of mediocrity back off my case pls. tongue I don't believe it's a joke and even if it's one, that was dumb. Six sigma, keep decieving yourself Dumbo.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by Chxta(m): 11:52am On Sep 15, 2006
Genial:

@ Topic,

What has the fact (if indeed it is one) that Tony Elumelu graduated with a third class got to do with anything? Did you know that Albert Einstein was told when he was in high school that he was dumb? Or perhaps you know that Andriy Shevchenko was left out of the football team of his choice during his earlier years for not being good enough at football?

Does that affect the fact that Festus Odimegwu graduated with a first class, Mozart was a child prodigy who wrote his first symphony at 6 - and remained a prodigy till his death? Or that Condoleeza Rice has consistently excelled in every area of endeavour, culminating in her appointment as a US secretary of state?

What is your point exactly?

Responsio superba!!!
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by Seun(m): 11:57am On Sep 15, 2006
Actually, Genial is the one who doesn't have a point. If third class graduates as well as first class graduates can succeed, the point is that third class graduates should not be written off as failures. That point is quite clear.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by bukkyboy(m): 1:01pm On Sep 15, 2006
the UBA chief finished wirh first class
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by Chxta(m): 2:10pm On Sep 15, 2006
Seun:

Actually, Genial is the one who doesn't have a point. If third class graduates as well as first class graduates can succeed, the point is that third class graduates should not be written off as failures. That point is quite clear.

You just made his point.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by lafile(m): 2:54pm On Sep 15, 2006
texxazpete i couldnt agree wit u more, and come to think of it, why wouldn't the developed countries care about grades they invented the thing for Christsake!!!
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by Genial(m): 3:19pm On Sep 15, 2006
Seun:

I hate to say proverbs and have to interpret them as well.

Chxta:

You just made his point.

Touche.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by adewaleafolabi(m): 4:55pm On Sep 16, 2006
Thats no big deal, have you ever noticed that the world's richest men are never college graduates see Bill gates, IKEA (He deals in furniture), Okoya(Eleganza), Dangote and a whole lots of others. School or no school wat matters is the economic power you are able to obtain. Even read all the ababio 4 this world you would probably work for4 some one with only O levels and youwould start saying Yes Sir!
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by EmemJU(f): 5:08pm On Sep 16, 2006
Nigeria has never had a university graduate for president (I stand to be corrected).
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by 2old4that(m): 5:25pm On Sep 16, 2006
EmemJU:

Nigeria has never had a university graduate for president (I stand to be corrected).

Isn't that alarming!
That those with no credible educational background are the ones ruling us. No wonder why our education sector is dilapidated to date.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by Nobody: 3:26am On Sep 18, 2006
EmemJU:

Is it any wonder our educational system, transport, health, social services, infrastructure are all in shambles? Is it any wonder our "leaders" are still busy hawking fake certificates?
Is it any wonder we have so much oil and yet are so poor?

Is it a coincidence that the most powerful countries in the world today are those with well educated leaders? Clinton attended Yale law school, is it any wonder he led the US through one of its most properous 8 yrs?
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by Radiant(f): 1:05am On Sep 20, 2006
David thank you jare wink Six sigma and co una deh hear so? You rule your slackers club not the world Mister tongue
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by kitaun(m): 8:17pm On Sep 20, 2006
@Radiant

What are you driving at?

Don't you know when to stop a fight? :P8)
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by Radiant(f): 8:20pm On Sep 20, 2006
Kitkat why don't you get back to ur ghetto tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Celebrates Pretty Female Barber Who Cut His Hair In A Saloon In Abuja. Photo / Aggrieved Ciscon Staff Warri Seal Off Office Premise (Photos) / Nigerian Institute Of Management Registration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.