Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,465 members, 7,954,819 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:07 AM

Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? (48980 Views)

With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope / I Graduated With 2.2,can I Have My Masters In Canada? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by beewhyfocs(m): 12:22am On Nov 04, 2008
@Davidlan,
Hi, im new in this forum and was just drawn to the discuss on the third class stuffs. I must say that davidlan made some beautiful points up there. I initially guessed you made a first class before I later saw it confirmed on the forum. Good one, keep it up. At times, people who use Bill gate as a self defence for their laxity with academics never thought of the reason why he dropped out of school. I think he dropped out, not because he was unable to cope but because the system was rather too slow for him. so people should get their point clear.

Well, I think if one does not make a first class or 2:1 out of school, it actually does not mean the end of the road but an indication that you have missed out on a possibility. This is because people usually realize after school that they could have actually performed better. Nevertheless, I believe a sound decision to be the best in other future life endeavour could be a panacea in this regard.

Though I planned to make a first class but eventually finished with a strong 2;1 from a federal university in Nigeria, I believe there is no much big deal about the first class stuffs. Its only people that never aspired for it that tried to make a nonsense of the ones that eventually paid the price to make it. And as such, the ones that made it should be accorded their due respect at least.

Even in the U.K here, companies emphasize on grade. I used to think it was only in Nigeria until I came here to see for myself.

The ultimate is to be the best at what we do, and the sky would definitely be a spring board

@davidlan, I would like to have your email so we could discuss better.mine is beewhyfocus@yahoo.com.

takecare man, U will succeed!
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by Patrick25(m): 12:34pm On Nov 04, 2008
well that should be an encouragement for those that graduated with a degree lower than 2.1. that should also tell us that much should not be placed on paper qualification for we know what happens in our universities like soughting, upgrading of scores and CGP. Emphasis should be placed on what you can do and deliver, your skills and potentials cool matters alot. The skills you acquire is what really determine who you are and what you will become, just like TONY ELUMELU of UBA. ENOUGH OF PAPER QUALIFICATION,
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by solowealth(m): 4:00pm On Nov 04, 2008
hmnnnnnnnnnnn
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by cheeze: 1:48pm On Nov 13, 2008
we nigreians most times think the grade we obtain is what define who we are but i tell it's not.it only gives us an edge in life.at a point the 10 riches men in the world were not graduate even d no 7 that was a graduate droped out of post graduate school.you see every man is a genuis in its own field.if anyone find's himself doing smething and he is not exceeling it's b'cos it's not is field let him try order things.look at the likes of (Dele Momodu,Fela ,wole soyinka and others) came out with 2.2 and below but they are very sucessful today.so don't be sad if u fall into that category.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by server34(m): 6:32am On Nov 19, 2008
@Poster, go and read your books.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by ibrahim007: 6:55pm On Jan 21, 2009
My hommie is a first class in computer science with a G.P.A 4.79.His final year project was based on this popular traffic light system project,he takes his system to system to otigba every time he has issue with it,he claims programming is his area of specialization yet he knows nothing about programming.I remember when we had a get together party sometime last month,i was discussing with some IT gurus he was looking like pedestral immediately i discovered he doesn't even understand what we're talking about.A lot of them like that.

1 Like

Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by tkb417(m): 8:07pm On Jan 21, 2009
Hey people i know it's not news that Bill Gates has no formal university degree, and Gani Fawehinmi had a third class degree in law from university and Tony Elumelu would not be news to people who know about UBA ,standard trust bank and all that merger talks during the the consolidation period of banks in nigeria and one thing about all these guys is that they've achieved some level of success in their fields and are really respected as well.the point is i just got out from one of the UBA branches in abuja here and i overheard someone(a staff) say their oga had a third class from from uniben or sumtin.someone should please tell mi this is a lie or anybody who know if this is true should confirm please,
Tony didnt go to UNIBEN
so go look for some other lies. what school did Gani go to?
rubbish common lies on the streets
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by Jonohjon: 1:48pm On Jan 22, 2009
I wonder where u guys get ur information from concerning Tony Elumelu.
The guy did not finish with a 3rd Class, and neither did he attend Uniben.

Second class candidate from then Edo state university,in Economics and he also bagged an Msc in Economics from Unilag.
Just think about how many 3rd class candidate do u see that have the courage to go and further in thesame field they've earned a third class? Very few if any.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by tkb417(m): 4:46pm On Jan 22, 2009
Second class candidate from then Edo state university,in Economics and he also bagged an Msc in Economics from Unilag.
Just think about how many 3rd class candidate do u see that have the courage to go and further in thesame field they've earned a third class? Very few if any.
thank u my brother
i will like to know where these peeps get these rubbish info from. an econs grad with a second class grade from ekpoma suddenly turns another thing.

same goes for Gani and Wole Soyinka.
its so common u hear it even in a place u'll feel they should know better. Im sure this started from someone who in a bid to supress the dejection and humiliation of coming out with a 3rd class degree, crafted the story of the nobles who finished with 3rd class degrees

omo na hunger go kill u for this country if u no find another degree tongue
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by DareBally: 8:48am On Jan 23, 2009
it is not about grade, but what you can do. it is unfortunate that nigeria hardly place emphasis what you can do, but result/certificates.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by yungwun(m): 9:43am On Jan 23, 2009
[size=8pt]What I think the poster was trying to get was this: If Tony Elumelu graduated with a 3rd class, no biggie, a lot of people did, but at least someone gave him a chance to prove himself. WHY IS HE NOT GIVING OTHER 3RD CLASS HOLDERS A CHANCE AT UBA?
what if he was sent away because he had a 3rd class? Where do you think he would have been?

Apart from being serious in school, a lot of issues can contribute to someone's grade. I worked all nights, Sunday to Sunday, from 6pm to 6 am in order to pay my fees and my sister's too. I will get off work at 6.30 am, fly that early morning okada ( those early rides, that tears will dripping from your eyes cos of the early morning wind), get home, shower and hit the class for a 7.15am lecture. I know I slept through most of the lectures. I graduated with a 2:2 when I could have made the a first class comfortably if the conditions were different. It is not affecting me now because I was given an opportunity in a fortune 500 company and it took just 2 months for me to prove myself.

I had a classmate who was delayed after graduating in 2003 from going for the mandatory NYSC, because a lecturer suspected he dated a female student that he was interested in. The lecturer in a show of power, deleted his records and the guy who was supposed to graduate with a 2:1, graduated with a 3rd class.

So if chances can be given to people no matter their grades, this will never be an issue.
Yes we know that outside of Nigeria, companies stand in line to pick the best graduating students, yet chances are given to the rest to still prove their mettle.
[/size]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by Jonohjon: 11:30am On Jan 23, 2009
Ignorance thats all I can say
If not do you think that the Nigerian employer Elumelu inclusive do not know that some people that graduated with a pass degree can perform on the job? Sure they know that. Employers insisting on a particular grade limit use it as an opportunity to screen the number of application / applicant they want to attend to or can u imagine Mobil trying to recruit fresh graduate without a grade limit, do u think they want to waste manpower and resources controlling and organising crowd when it is obvious that they can still get the right candidate even if the list is limited to only 50.

Ignorance I say is a killer. I pray God bless u folks that believe otherwise really well and when you become an employer place an advert for fresh graduate without a grade limit and try and see if u can cope with it.

Bottom line , do whatu can that will guarantee u a minimum of a second class degree period.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by tkb417(m): 1:17pm On Jan 23, 2009
Ignorance thats all I can say
If not do you think that the Nigerian employer Elumelu inclusive do not know that some people that graduated with a pass degree can perform on the job? Sure they know that. Employers insisting on a particular grade limit use it as an opportunity to screen the number of application / applicant they want to attend to or can u imagine Mobil trying to recruit fresh graduate without a grade limit, do u think they want to waste manpower and resources controlling and organising crowd when it is obvious that they can still get the right candidate even if the list is limited to only 50.

Ignorance I say is a killer. I pray God bless u folks that believe otherwise really well and when you become an employer place an advert for fresh graduate without a grade limit and try and see if u can cope with it.

Bottom line , do whatu can that will guarantee u a minimum of a second class degree period
nice one.
imagine Chevron telling everybody to come write a test, im sure u'll get at least a million people

one more thing
peeps actually in this part of the world distort facts to whip up sentiments. Tony and co didnt graduate with 3rd class!!!
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by yungwun(m): 1:46pm On Jan 23, 2009
You guys are just skewing this discussion out of context, maybe because, you think you are not concerned. Probably, if you had a 3rd class, you will be more considerate in the way and manner that you spew forth all the gibberish from your mouth. Chevron did this, chevron did that. bloody hell!!
Anyway, I believe everyone's destiny is in his or her hands. If you decide to sit back and wail because you graduated with a 3rd class, oh well. But if you decide to work hard to improve yourself, I promise you, God will give you that one chance to have one good shot at that dream job. Just ask for the grace to see that chance when it comes.
Whether Elumelu made 3rd class or not is actually immaterial. His destiny is not tied to any other person's. he is who he is, you are who you are, chikena![size=8pt][color=#000099][/color]

1 Like

Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by Marketiva: 10:55pm On Jan 27, 2009
HAVE YOU HAVE AN ENCOUNTER WITH GOD BEFORE.

IF YES, THEN YOU CAN UNDERSTAND WHY A BEGGAR CAN RISE TO THE POSITION OF AA KING
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by slimes(m): 3:20pm On Nov 23, 2009
George W Bush, a perfect example.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by Lolladey(f): 8:46pm On Nov 30, 2009
so, kini big deal
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by ikennahill: 9:27am On Jan 04, 2010
well we know how some people make first class here,even 2.1.Gani had 3rd class he did well,making a does not mean you know it, some can cram a whole text book and reproduce it in exam but ask them to do same the next day ,they cant.i dont care about class ,i have seen a lot to know that it means nothing
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by kidgenious(m): 3:17pm On Jan 12, 2010
Time and time again,i would put the blame on the Nigerian educational system for letting someone graduate with a third class.Besides we put so much emphasis on certificates this certificates that when in reality its just a mere joke passing through most of our school.Little wonder our development is in shambles with a sick president in a sick country with sick thought.
Its time we re-orientate ourselves and put our academic syllabus in order to make sure we actually start producing intellectually sound graduates who can make a difference to this Nation and the world beyond, peace
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by kika41(m): 12:51pm On Sep 17, 2013
Am very well disappointed with the way most of you are taking pride in 3rd class degree...How can you bag a 3rd class and expect to be given an equal opportunity with one who graduated with a 1st class....are u aware,that top managerail positions are specified for 1st class holders...are u telling me that a 3rd class holder is more focused and disciplined than a 1st class holder?...Let me tell you,a 3rd class degree is nothing if you have hopes of working for a fortune 500 company,it may be a stepping stone to your business idea...1st class all the way
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by Nobody: 2:17pm On Sep 17, 2013
Six Sigma: @Ynot,

You wrote:

You got the message 100%. Let those lazy bones and dummies like "Radiant" keep promoting mediocre performance instead of promoting world class / world best, outstanding quality performance (in education, work, living etc) as Motorola the father of Six Sigma did.

Hey buddy, Ynot, are you by any chance practicing six sigma? If yes PM me and let us share experiences.
hello. I'm very interested in six sigma. I would like to know whether I can get the green or black belt certification in nigeria. thank you
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by EMega(m): 1:44pm On Nov 11, 2013
I just saw Tony Elumelu on African Voices and trying to get an enquiry i was led here and after reading all the comments,i just imagined what would be going through the minds of those who were so bent on knowing what he graduated from school with as a way to diminish his achievements.Our schools doesn't give us a true judgement of who we are or who we can become.
Re: Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? by OutofdboxPrjCns: 10:42am On Jan 26, 2015
@Danjumacse

Increasingly, employers are requesting Six Sigma certification (also Project Management).

We offer international certification exams for both.

Kindly visit www.OutofDbox.com.ng for more information.

We are an Accredited Exam Provider for the International Association for Six Sigma Certification (IASSC) and EXIN.

Follow us on LinkedIn (www.linkedin.com/company/outofdbox-project-consult),
on Twitter (/twitter.com/OutofDboxProCon) and
Like us on Facebook (/facebook.com/outofdboxprojectconsult)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Breweries Salary Structure: Salary Of Nigeria Breweries PLC / Fayose Gives Kia Cerato To Bamisile Lucy, Ekiti Best Civil Servant, 2016 / Barristers Have Fun At Their NBA Conference In Portharcourt (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.