Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,326 members, 7,819,116 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:33 AM

How To Cope With Unemployment - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Cope With Unemployment (892 Views)

Please How Do I Cope With An Unstable Boss? / How Do You Cope When Sacked? / If You Are In Edo State, Here Is A Quick Way To Break Up With Unemployment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Cope With Unemployment by oshoademola1(m): 4:44pm On Feb 09, 2015
Some years back, I felt like the world was collapsing over me because there was no job. I had sent different applications via mail, e-mail and also applied online using application portal. Most times, Nigerian owned companies would not give me feedback on my applications while most Nigeria based foreign companies would send me feedback like “We have now completed the process of shortlisting candidates for the above position. Unfortunately you have not been invited for interview on this occasion…..” It was frustrating and disappointing.

The state of unemployment may affect the perception, belief, and personal brand of anyone caught in the web. It may turn the vibrant personality of student leadership, creativity and initiative acquired and exhibited while in school into a mess. Notwithstanding, we should ensure that the loss of job or new search does not define our brand and perception .It may sound difficult but below are the tips that can help in the “trying” period

Thought of Forces

It is time you stopped thinking something is wrong with you or probably the “power” from your village is preventing you from securing your dream job. I believe that you can only be stopped if you allow it. ”No one can make you inferior without your consent”. Pray hard, search hard and work hard.

Thought of Foreign Certificates

It is a fact that employers in Nigeria prefer graduates with foreign certificates, they may not express that fact but it does exist. However, NEVER limit yourself in your thought. Cultivate that mindset that if the company requires just one person for the position that would be YOU.

Thought of a Low Grade

There are a lot of reasons why people may graduate with a low grade- Second Class Lower, Lower Credit, Third Class or Pass. In this write up, I am not concerned about why you graduated with a low grade .I am just interested in telling you that it is not the end of your life and career. I know of people with low grades that got a good job. They know people you would say! Right? “It is all about mindset, preparation for the greater height and ability to use your network effectively that counts” Lucas said.
Never allow this to weigh you down just be optimistic. If you have the money, apply for PGD, M.Sc., take professional courses, take ICT training and upgrade your skill set.

Thought of HND Dichotomy

This is a major concern in Nigeria. I am not interested in the problem anyway, all I see is possibility. Keep your mind open, keep in touch with your network and never relent.

Thought of Rejection

“I just feel like I am being constantly rejected, and it is hard to understand why”. Kelechi said .This thought comes when you go for interview and you are constantly being rejected.
It can be extremely frustrating and disappointing. But it can also be an opportunity to learn something new. Every rejection email you receive can take you one step further to that acceptance email if you make sure you learn from the experience. As you proceed, take cognizance of the interviewer’s questions and reactions, your response during the interview, w and evaluate your general performance. It can serve as a learning process to perform better next time.

REMEMBER

• Unemployment can happen to anyone, when it happens you may not be able to control it but you can control how you think and act.

• Your social media platforms are one of the best ways to get your dream job. Explore it!–Online Networking (we will learn about these in
another write up)

• Your friends, family, religious group and other value added organisations are your best bet for getting job. Use them. Do not be afraid,
shy or tired to ask for help – Physical Networking.

• Let your CV be concise, straight forward and neat-It is your first brand

• Always prepare well for interview. Understand the content of your CV, Read about the company, study likely interview questions and
always appear neat.

• Learn new skills set especially IT related

• Take new courses-Professional, Postgraduate, Public speaking etc.

• Register for an entrepreneurial training

• Money is not everything. You can start small. Do not despise little beginning.

• You can volunteer for organisations like Rise Network, Gemstone, LEAP Africa etc.

• Do not ignore contract jobs. You might just be lucky to be absorbed

• Put in for internship to learn all the way

• You can start little business. It will grow big if you are focused and determined.

• You can earn income by being an affiliate for companies like , konga.com, dealdey.com, Amazon etc. Everyone around you
need something!

• Turn your passion to money.

“Finally, do not let unemployment define you — you are not an unemployed person, you are just someone who happens to be temporarily between jobs while adjusting to the demands of the labor market. This too will come to an end, and how quickly that end comes is directly proportional to the effort you put into learning where you best fit into the labor market and refining your application to do so”- Penelope

http://easyaccesstolife..com/2015/02/how-to-cope-with-unemployment.html

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Audition Audition Audition - Be The Voice Of Chichi / CSC Orion 18 Training / Donald Trump’s Cadillac - “the Beasts" Has No Key Holes?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.