Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,601 members, 7,809,185 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:37 AM

Publishing My Book: Do I Need An Agent? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Publishing My Book: Do I Need An Agent? (1477 Views)

Any Publisher Interested In Publishing My Manuscript Tagged 'the Conflict"?? / Money 4 Publishing My Book / My Book Of Rants! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Publishing My Book: Do I Need An Agent? by aleepac(m): 8:16pm On Aug 22, 2006
Hey got somes book but someone told me to first look for an agent before publish do you think this is ok
Re: Publishing My Book: Do I Need An Agent? by dennylove(m): 10:20pm On Aug 27, 2006
aleepac, don't look for any agent. They'll just use your talent to feed themselves, like all the Musicians who go to sing and these guys just stay at one corner pirating their songs on CD.
Re: Publishing My Book: Do I Need An Agent? by qblaze(m): 5:26am On Aug 30, 2006
I think you need an agent. Most conventional writers in developed countries work with an agent. An agent could be an invaluable business accessory that could help you get very high prices for your book, arrange book signings and paid appearances. He could also help you if you want to option your story into a film. The problem with Nigeria is that everyone feels that the next guy wants to steal his idea. Maybe we should strenthen our patent laws
Re: Publishing My Book: Do I Need An Agent? by Seun(m): 10:23am On Aug 30, 2006
Our copyright laws are fine. We just need to have an efficient judicial system that can be relied upon to compensate creaors whose works are stolen.
Re: Publishing My Book: Do I Need An Agent? by mkpirike: 9:57am On Aug 31, 2006
A book writer has two options, either you meet a publisher who will take your manuscript, print copies and pay you royalties as he markets the work( you are not paying a dime) or you work up to a press and arrange for predetermined quantity to be printed at your own cost. In the latter case you can reach an agreement for the materials to be given to you at the end of the printing of the first edition to prevent them from having more copies, you can also monitor the production process since you are paying for all the stages of production. in this case you are responsible for the marketing of your work
Re: Publishing My Book: Do I Need An Agent? by LoverBwoy(m): 1:15am On Sep 02, 2006
Just heard of this my friend used this but they sell via internet only when someone orders it they print it

http://www.lulu.com/uk
Re: Publishing My Book: Do I Need An Agent? by kodewrita(m): 6:19pm On Sep 04, 2006
the site looks cool enough but how much did they pay your friend?
Re: Publishing My Book: Do I Need An Agent? by LoverBwoy(m): 6:21pm On Sep 04, 2006
It's a self publishing site basically you load your work, and when someone orders your novel depending on the format you want it to be printed they'll dispatch it to the customer and get their cut

so its basically like pay as you go
Re: Publishing My Book: Do I Need An Agent? by Seun(m): 3:02pm On Nov 28, 2006
Is your book a work of fiction (novel) or non-fiction?

(1) (Reply)

Gentlemen's Club. Sex Series. / Best Website To Download Free Pdf Ebook / Hillary Clinton Twitter Bio Saga: Chimamanda Adichie Finally Reacts To Criticism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.