Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,063 members, 7,956,972 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 12:52 AM

Merc. Engine Swap - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Merc. Engine Swap (2158 Views)

C Class 180 Merc Benz 1997 Model / Questions On Toyota Camry 2004 Engine Swap / Engine Swap. Please Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Merc. Engine Swap by boazic: 8:29pm On Feb 09, 2015
Good pple of this forum,
I'd like to know if an A class engine can be swapped with a C class or any other better Merc. Engine
Re: Merc. Engine Swap by Nobody: 9:23pm On Feb 09, 2015
boazic:
Good pple of this forum,
I'd like to know if an A class engine can be swapped with a C class or any other better Merc. Engine

If you're asking if a Mercedes-Benz C Class engine will be a direct swap into an A Class, the simple answer is no.

If you're simply asking if the swap can be done, the answer is yes. With enough money and skill, anything's possible.

Would I consider this swap? No. I can think of better platforms to work with, the Mercedes-Benz A Class is not the best handling car, even with a modest 1.4 I4 motor, the A Class is unstable when pushed anywhere close to it's design limits. The engine in the C Class and beyond is designed for RWD application. The A Class is a FWD supermini. Even with the larger B Class, it'll take a lot of cutting, welding and fabrication to get a RWD motor in. The floor pan will need major work, and a transmission tunnel will have to be welded in.

The rear floor section too will need work - welding in pick-up points for a rear subframe and differential. Cutting out the rear strut turrets, to accept RWD components.

The front section won't be spared either - the A Class steering rack will have to go, the location will have to change too, the original location will interfere with a RWD gearbox.

Major surgery.

Are you still interested in doing this swap?
Re: Merc. Engine Swap by Nobody: 12:07am On Feb 10, 2015
Siena:

If you're asking if a Mercedes-Benz C Class engine will be a direct swap into an A Class, the simple answer is no.

If you're simply asking if the swap can be done, the answer is yes. With enough money and skill, anything' possible.

Would I consider this swap? No. I can think of better platforms to work with, the Mercedes-Benz A Class is not the best handling car, even with a modest 1.4 I4 motor, the A Class is unstable when pushed anywhere close to it's design limits. The engine in the C Class and beyond is designed for RWD application. The A Class is a FWD supermini. Even with the larger B Class, it'll take a lot of cutting, welding and fabrication to get a RWD motor in. The floor pan will need major work, and a transmission tunnel will have to be welded in.

The rear floor section too will need work - welding in pick-up points for a rear subframe and differential. Cutting out the rear strut turrets, to accept RWD components.

The front section won't be spared either - the A Class steering rack will have to go, the location will have to change too, the original location will interfere with a RWD gearbox.

Major surgery.

Are you still interested in doing this swap?
gbam, na there he end

1 Like

Re: Merc. Engine Swap by oweniwe(m): 12:26am On Feb 10, 2015
^^
Game Over.........!!....
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Merc. Engine Swap by Nobody: 5:33am On Feb 10, 2015
Live!
Re: Merc. Engine Swap by boazic: 6:26am On Feb 10, 2015
I get that Siena.
I was feeling more enthusiastic when I read about a successful swap of a Freelander with a Camry engine.
Pls advise, what other brand (apart from Merc. Engines) can swap for the A Class?
Re: Merc. Engine Swap by oweniwe(m): 11:22am On Feb 10, 2015
^^ u dis stubborn guy..... angry

A-Class miss road.....!!...

I guess u don spoil the car's engine already..... If that's the case....

Try Picanto engine tongue

1 Like

Re: Merc. Engine Swap by Nobody: 11:49am On Feb 10, 2015
boazic:
I get that Siena.
I was feeling more enthusiastic when I read about a successful swap of a Freelander with a Camry engine.
Pls advise, what other brand (apart from Merc. Engines) can swap for the A Class?

There is no alternative engine that will bolt straight into your Mercedes-Benz A Class. Space has always been an issue with this car.

An example is the A190. To replace the starter motor involves pulling the engine and transmission, both assemblies are installed at a slant, almost lying on their sides due to space limitations. There simply isn't enough height in the bay to install the engine and transmission upright. Most of both assemblies are actually under the dash area, making access to the most simple components extremely poor.

There is no way to install another engine and transmission in this car, unless you've got extremely deep pockets. The differential of most cars is behind the transmission, in the A Class, it's in front, making another transmission swap virtually impossible. For example, a Kia Picanto gearbox installed will mean the driveshafts will be inside the car, and protrude from the front doors. My advice? Drop this idea, and save your sanity.

Out of interest, what's wrong with the original Mercedes-Benz engine?
Re: Merc. Engine Swap by Nobody: 12:37pm On Feb 10, 2015
oweniwe:
^^ u dis stubborn guy..... angry

A-Class miss road.....!!...

I guess u don spoil the car's engine already..... If that's the case....

Try Picanto engine tongue

Nigerian mechanic never do you something sha.
Re: Merc. Engine Swap by Nobody: 1:19pm On Feb 10, 2015
Just passing by in Denn's' humble VW beetle 1500 flat engine R-RWD config.
Re: Merc. Engine Swap by Denn(m): 1:31pm On Feb 10, 2015
lomomike:
Just passing by in Denn's' humble VW beetle 1500 flat engine R-RWD config.

Don't deplete the fuel o.... I know you have a heavy foot when on the gas pedal.
Re: Merc. Engine Swap by Nobody: 2:17pm On Feb 10, 2015
Denn:

Don't deplete the fuel o.... I know you have a heavy foot when on the gas pedal.

Na only 40naira fuel you buy and put inside the carburettor inlet na. cry embarassed
Re: Merc. Engine Swap by Coldplay007(f): 4:04pm On Feb 10, 2015
Denn:

Deplete wetin! grin that vehicle is so rugged it will run on kerosine and you know kero is now 50 naira per litre.... grin
I drove that car for a year! Very rugged thing..
Re: Merc. Engine Swap by Nobody: 5:06pm On Feb 10, 2015
Coldplay007:

Deplete wetin! grin that vehicle is so rugged it will run on kerosine and you know kero is now 50 naira per litre.... grin
I drove that car for a year! Very rugged thing..

grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Merc. Engine Swap by Nobody: 9:22am On Feb 11, 2015
Thinking aloud "A Class tho, i wonder if Mercedes was reallz behind that concept b4 it was pushed to the market" meanwhile am gladly overtaking Lomomike driving denn's Bug with Siena's hilux and wishing the volkswagen a happy custom ending.
Re: Merc. Engine Swap by Denn(m): 9:27am On Feb 11, 2015
Bossforeva:
Thinking aloud "A Class tho, i wonder if Mercedes was reallz behind that concept b4 it was pushed to the market" meanwhile am gladly overtaking Lomomike driving denn's Bug with Siena's hilux and wishing the volkswagen a happy custom ending.

Relax mate.... The race is 5 laps and the bug is on the last lap.... You are on the first lap....
Re: Merc. Engine Swap by simiolu1(m): 9:04am On Feb 13, 2015
The banter on this thread, no be here o!

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Car Rental Service In Benin City, Edo State / My Engine Is Smoking / Customs Papers Confirmation Online- Help Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.