Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,782 members, 7,824,264 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:54 AM

Questions On Toyota Camry 2004 Engine Swap - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Questions On Toyota Camry 2004 Engine Swap (2050 Views)

Engine Swap / Engine Swap / Engine Swap Needed For 2005 Acura MDX (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Questions On Toyota Camry 2004 Engine Swap by iguita: 10:33am On Apr 15, 2016
Hi guys,

My 2004 Camry got an engine knock-out. I am planning to change the said engine in the car. The engine is VVT-I V6 24V
My questions are

1. What will it cost to get the engine
2. Where can I get the engine?
3. Can I fix a V4 engine into a V6 car, people are advising me to do so.
4. Is an engine swap reliable?

I I based in Lagos.

cc: sienna, gazzuzz, carxus, marpol, chelseabmw, ikenna
Re: Questions On Toyota Camry 2004 Engine Swap by Readonee35L(m): 11:20am On Apr 15, 2016
Some people shaa.
They use their hand too bring problems into their life.
Never ever
I repeat never ever do an engine swap in that car , because your mechanic always think it's by changing the engine , then join wires to the ecu to make it work,
But it's more than that, in fact if you want too do it in the right way you'll spend MONEY!!!!!!!!
And I know the 2004 v6 uses 1mz-fe which is even cheaper than the i4 2az-fe,
If you think the v6 fuel consumption is high,
Sell that cat with the bad engine for like 400-500k
Add 200-250k to the money and buy a standard i4 2004 camry .
Re: Questions On Toyota Camry 2004 Engine Swap by Nobody: 11:33am On Apr 15, 2016
Whilst it is possible to install an I4 engine from a similar year Camry, it is not advisable to do so. You're just creating more room for problems that will benefit no one except your mechanic. Such a conversion will involve the following:

Replacing the transmission with one that bolts to an I4 engine.
Replacing the driveshafts with a pair that bolt to the above transmission.
Replacing the engine harness with one that plugs to an I4 engine.
Replacing the ECU with one that plugs to the above harness, and powers an I4 engine.
Replacing the exhaust front section with one that bolts to an I4 engine.
Replacing the radiator and coolant hoses with I4 items.
Replacing the engine and transmission mounts with I4 items.
Replacing the front crossmember with one that will allow an I4 engine and transmission to bolt to it.
Replacing the transmission TCU with one compatible with the I4 transmission (if you wish to retain automatic transmission).
Replacing the transmission harness with one compatible with the above transmission and TCU.

I would advise you to replace the engine with the correct one. Why are you even considering a swap? Because your "mechanic" said so? It's time to swap mechanics too.

8 Likes

Re: Questions On Toyota Camry 2004 Engine Swap by Marpol: 12:22pm On Apr 15, 2016
iguita:
Hi guys,

My 2004 Camry got an engine knock-out. I am planning to change the said engine in the car. The engine is VVT-I V6 24V
My questions are

I I based in Lagos.

Take the car to Gazzuzz. Most times V6 is cheaper than I4 engines. I don't know why.
Re: Questions On Toyota Camry 2004 Engine Swap by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:29pm On Apr 15, 2016
iguita:
Hi guys,

My questions are

I I based in Lagos.

your engine should be the 3mz-fe engine, call me I might have a good deal on ground for you wink 08033910382 Whatsapp
Re: Questions On Toyota Camry 2004 Engine Swap by iguita: 7:08pm On Apr 15, 2016
Thanks Gazzuzz, Whatsapping you now.
GAZZUZZ:

your engine should be the 3mz-fe engine, call me I might have a good deal on ground for you wink 08033910382 Whatsapp
Re: Questions On Toyota Camry 2004 Engine Swap by iguita: 7:10pm On Apr 15, 2016
Thanks Siena. I prefer a V6, love the power the car had. Just an uncle based in the US and who sends cars home that insists that I should do V4 instead of V6.

Siena:
Whilst it is possible to install an I4 engine from a similar year Camry, it is not advisable to do so. You're just creating more room for problems that will benefit no one except your mechanic. Such a conversion will involve the following:

Replacing the transmission with one that bolts to an I4 engine.
Replacing the driveshafts with a pair that bolt to the above transmission.
Replacing the engine harness with one that plugs to an I4 engine.
Replacing the ECU with one that plugs to the above harness, and powers an I4 engine.
Replacing the exhaust front section with one that bolts to an I4 engine.
Replacing the radiator and coolant hoses with I4 items.
Replacing the engine and transmission mounts with I4 items.
Replacing the front crossmember with one that will allow an I4 engine and transmission to bolt to it.
Replacing the transmission TCU with one compatible with the I4 transmission (if you wish to retain automatic transmission).
Replacing the transmission harness with one compatible with the above transmission and TCU.

I would advise you to replace the engine with the correct one. Why are you even considering a swap? Because your "mechanic" said so? It's time to swap mechanics too.
Re: Questions On Toyota Camry 2004 Engine Swap by Nobody: 8:50pm On Apr 15, 2016
iguita:
Thanks Siena. I prefer a V6, love the power the car had. Just an uncle based in the US and who sends cars home that insists that I should do V4 instead of V6.

Then you need to ask him why he insists you should pull the V6, and swap in an I4.
Re: Questions On Toyota Camry 2004 Engine Swap by iguita: 10:06pm On Apr 16, 2016
Same 'ol 'ít's cheaper to maintain blah blah blah'.
Siena:

Then you need to ask him why he insists you should pull the V6, and swap in an I4.
Re: Questions On Toyota Camry 2004 Engine Swap by Macmilla(m): 10:34pm On Apr 16, 2016
iguita:
Same 'ol 'ít's cheaper to maintain blah blah blah'.
This baseless phobia for v6 has really eaten deep into our naija brains. Plz man, follow the advice by Readonee35l . Sell d car to me. I need a v6 ride

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Advice On Volvo S60 2003 Model / Gac Motor - Your Opinion / Any Good BMW Mechanic In Ibadan. Suggestions Please.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.