Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:35 AM

SEAFARERS Messroom - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / SEAFARERS Messroom (14845 Views)

Female Seafarers’ Shocking Revelation: To Our Bosses We Are Just Sex Tools (pic / 12 Common Myths About Seafarers People Have / Seafarers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

SEAFARERS Messroom by Nobody: 1:19pm On Feb 11, 2015
"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore."

Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by Nobody: 1:36pm On Feb 11, 2015
Like the "messroom" in every vessel, this forum is for all seafarers, ranging from the cadets to the already established marine officers.
The Deck Department

Chief Officer/Mate
Second Officer/Mate
Third Officer/Mate
Deck Cadets
Deck Rating 

Bosun
Welder/Fitter
Able Seaman (AB)
Ordinary Seaman (OS)
Trainee (OS)

The Engine Department

Chief Engineer
Second Engineer/First Assistant Engineer
Third Engineer/ Second Assistant Engineer
Fourth Engineer/ Third Assistant Engineer
Fifth Engineer/ Engine Cadet
Engine Room Rating

Fitter
Motorman
Wiper
Trainee Fitter / Trainee Wiper

3. The Catering Department

Chief Cook
Trainee Cook
Steward

2 Likes

Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by Nobody: 1:52pm On Feb 11, 2015
Here is to discuss the issues facing the Nigerian maritime sector, why we are far below every other countries and why Nigerian ship owners always crew their vessels with foreigners, thereby violating the Cabotage Act of 2003 and leaving the indigenous seafarers jobless.
I will like everyone to come in here and speak.

1 Like

Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by Nobody: 2:01pm On Feb 11, 2015
Pls note that I am not a writer,. So for those Nairaland error and bad English seekers, KEEP OFF. angry angry
Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by Nobody: 2:10pm On Feb 11, 2015
I was opportune to speak to a shippng master of Nimasa from one of the Eastern zone state and we talked about alot of things concerning this and the way out.
I will note down the points he listed out and I think this is the only way I can get them out.
1) Corruption why this is the worst of all, let's all be realistic, an average Nigerian Seafarer has a document either falsified or over estimated.
But I will point at Nimasa for the sinking of our ship because it all began from them.
The seamans discharge book is suppose to carry an evidence of your sea service (number of months spent on board a vessel). Like the shipping master said and I quote "they bring N20,000 and they get 36months of sea time stamped."
This individuals after falsifying their documents will end up with a good job, but of what use is a toothbrush to a new born baby??

1 Like

Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by Nobody: 2:26pm On Feb 11, 2015
2) Lack of Experience In reference to the last paragraph, a seamans Job requires lots of experience which is why IMO has its high standards.
Let me chip in a life story, few years ago when I was in the early stage of my adventure A Cadet was posted to my vessel to spend 12months, in his file was the Oow certificate that every Seafarer longs for, i was filled with inspiration and taught to myself; so much I will learn from him in the next 12months, well as the week went on I found out that this man was on board a vessel for the first time in his life because of all the mediocre questions he throws my way. His rope work performance was 0, communication 0, although he was good theoretically but he was practically below par.
But in his discharge book was different vessels of high gross tonnages which he claimed to have worked.
That is one in hundreds of others carrying high profile certificates with no iota of idea how the vessel looks like in real life and they end up disgracing themselves and the nation internationally. This was the reason IMO almost blacklisted Nigeria last year, you didn't hear of it?.. Okay...

5 Likes

Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by Nobody: 2:57pm On Feb 11, 2015
3) GROSS MISCONDUCT This one is too numerous to count, lots of funny things we do onboard to get that extra cash.
I won't list them here but you all know what am talking about, well it's time u realise how wrong it is and set your priorities right. When a ship owner gives his vessel to white man and gets 90% of his profits and the owner gives the same ship to a black man and gets 60%, common sense tells you who he will call next time to man his vessel.
Alot of our indigenous Captains are jobless not because they are not capable but because they are
not trustworthy.
If you are reading this, please stop and if u are planning to be a seafarer cos of greed, change your heart.

3 Likes

Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 3:09pm On Feb 11, 2015
Aburo you dey vex O. Anyway it's high time someone speak up.
To get our right back we need to change our ways.
Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by Nobody: 3:13pm On Feb 11, 2015
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."

— William Arthur Ward, Writer

1 Like

Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by crudedude(m): 5:29pm On Feb 11, 2015
Nice thread eidosky. I'm not a seaman but someone close to me is. he's still a cadet @ Oron.

following...
Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by Nobody: 6:37pm On Feb 11, 2015
Lack of Marine Schools A country that almost half of its States has a channel connecting to the high sea can not boast of one international recognised Maritime institution.
To mention the few in the country,

Maritime academy of nigeria oron akwa ibom (federal)
Oceanography (private) Lagos state
Joe Marine (private) delta state
Charkins maritime (private) port harcourt.

Maritime academy is a very old institution but still operates in the shadows, it's over populated and under funded, lacks advanced simulators, outdated solas equipment, which every marine institution should have, lecturers are outdated.
Why outdated? In the maritime world, things change every day, new laws are made, new techniques introduced, advanced technologies are adopted etc but lecturers still teaches what is not needed, and you end up wasting your money and time.
JOE MARINE in terms of teaching remains the best in Nigeria closely followed by Charkins maritime but all that is for the elementary stages of your career because as you progress, you will need to leave the Shores of Nigeria to get better certificates.

3 Likes

Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by Ebao2(m): 10:09pm On Feb 12, 2015
Please help me . I need a place to do my cadetship . U can contact me on this number 07032548607.
Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by achu442(m): 9:17am On Feb 16, 2015
Ebao2:
Please help me . I need a place to do my cadetship . U can contact me on this number 07032548607.

email me achudebest@gmail.com
Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 10:49pm On Feb 19, 2015
Eidosky:
Lack of Marine Schools A country that almost half of its States has a channel connecting to the high sea can not boast of one international recognised Maritime institution.
To mention the few in the country,

Maritime academy of nigeria oron akwa ibom (federal)
Oceanography (private) Lagos state
Joe Marine (private) delta state
Charkins maritime (private) port harcourt.

Maritime academy is a very old institution but still operates in the shadows, it's over populated and under funded, lacks advanced simulators, outdated solas equipment, which every marine institution should have, lecturers are outdated.
Why outdated? In the maritime world, things change every day, new laws are made, new techniques introduced, advanced technologies are adopted etc but lecturers still teaches what is not needed, and you end up wasting your money and time.
JOE MARINE in terms of teaching remains the best in Nigeria closely followed by Charkins maritime but all that is for the elementary stages of your career because as you progress, you will need to leave the Shores of Nigeria to get better certificates.
This is worrisome angry angry
Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by Eghosa1(m): 7:10am On Feb 20, 2015
Eidosky:
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."

— William Arthur Ward, Writer

True. I need us to discuss something Buddy. Help with your details.
Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by Luggi007(m): 5:57pm On Apr 16, 2015
Hi Eidosky. yu are a mariner too? yu said yu gona get back to me concerning my lg gflex screen that is faulty, on your thread about about how you got your g 3 screen replaced. pls kindly get back to through my number 0803840823, hope to hear from soonest. I'm also a mariner.

1 Like

Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by Nobody: 2:24pm On Apr 17, 2015
Luggi007:
Hi Eidosky. yu are a mariner too? yu said yu gona get back to me concerning my lg gflex screen that is faulty, on your thread about about how you got your g 3 screen replaced. pls kindly get back to through my number 0803840823, hope to hear from soonest. I'm also a mariner.
sorry for that sir, I forgot to update the thread since the screen I bought somehow got missing in transit. So I ended up using 15k to fix it at Garrison. The number u provided is not complete
Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by Luggi007(m): 6:05pm On Apr 23, 2015
Eidosky:

sorry for that sir, I forgot to update the thread since the screen I bought somehow got missing in transit. So I ended up using 15k to fix it at Garrison. The number u provided is not complete

Its OK. Sorry abt your missing screen and the incomplete number I gave yu. The correct number is 08038408232. Pls get back to me soon regardless of the screen thing, will want to have some discussions wit yu. Waiting to hear from you. Cheers
Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by Heartibaby(f): 9:53am On Dec 17, 2015
Nice thread Op. Please may i contact you? I have some personal questions about the seafarers profession. My email is miima712@yahoo.com. Could you mail me so we could talk. I would be most grateful
Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by Heartibaby(f): 9:55am On Dec 17, 2015
What about Stars Maritime academy lagos. U didnt mention it in ur post

1 Like

Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by Etizz: 11:44pm On Dec 25, 2015
Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by Etizz: 11:45pm On Dec 25, 2015
Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by Bamsherif(m): 10:48pm On Feb 17, 2016
hi fellow seafarers, looking for new opportunity as an engineer cadet/ oiler / wiper. I hold national diploma in marine engineering from maritime academy of nigeria with previous experience on tanker. I have my documents as recommended by NIMASA.

1 Like

Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by Nobody: 4:33pm On Feb 18, 2016
I promote myself to be ''CAPPY''.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

This job is not for the faint hearted. While I am no full time seafarer, I have been on over 30 vessels ranging from two weeks to more than a month at sea. You get to know that what makes a man is not the size of his D~~~k but the size of his heart. From sea sickness (for non DP Vessels) to other numerous ways to die. At the end you learn that their is difference between the leather belt and the leather talisman. As yoruba will say ''wa mo kpe belit ya tor si bante''.

Anyway, I consider seafaring a third occupation besides Safety Engineering and Banking. I am glad to see this topic.

4 Likes

Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by Nobody: 2:22pm On Feb 23, 2016
Heartibaby:
What about Stars Maritime academy lagos. U didnt mention it in ur post
here is a list of institutions recognised by nimasa and stars maritime is not included. http://nimasaseafarers.com/nimasaol/NIM160R.aspx
Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by Nobody: 2:31pm On Feb 23, 2016
Etizz:

If not for Google I won't have known dat a thread like dis exist....
Furthermore, OP u are a God sent, I would love to ask u some questions,....
Firstly, I am just like d guy u make example with, I have all my papers, (like mandatory, EDH, medical, discharge booklet with 18months seagoing record n stamp, ISPS, yellow card, international passport and COC on deck) now am ready for a job now, but I have not gotten d experience, can't I cope on board the vessel? Can't I learn n follow up to be well experience? Must I be experienced to work on board?
Though am a graduate in Electrical engineering, I decided to switch to marine to not to put head in one basket, so u mean It's not adviceable to go into marine this way
Pls I need everyone to learn from my question dats why I did not ask for private mailing, so I look forward hearing from u....
U can quote me pls.... Thanks
sorry for the late response. I was offshore and couldn't come on here to update. The issue is, your fake stamp already portrays you as experienced cos 18 months on-board is enough to have verse knowledge about the ship. Even if you are to go on board, you will be expected to tackle some task without supervision like rigging a pilot ladder or chipping and painting, operating the winch and windlass, lowering the gangway, etc which is one of the things u learn in ur early stages. Am afraid to tell you that you are not ready for a job but to learn. So if you are looking for a job which you can get with your record, you will struggle with alot of things but if u are a fast learner, you can meet up.
Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by Etizz: 2:54pm On Feb 23, 2016
Eidosky:
sorry for the late response. I was offshore and couldn't come on here to update. The issue is, your fake stamp already portrays you as experienced cos 18 months on-board is enough to have verse knowledge about the ship. Even if you are to go on board, you will be expected to tackle some task without supervision like rigging a pilot ladder or chipping and painting, operating the winch and windlass, lowering the gangway, etc which is one of the things u learn in ur early stages. Am afraid to tell you that you are not ready for a job but to learn. So if you are looking for a job which you can get with your record, you will struggle with alot of things but if u are a fast learner, you can meet up.

God bless u, but that stamp is not fake, it's duly endorsed by a registered shipping master, the fake Herr should be the seaterm I guess,....

Furthermore, i can cope and catch up very easily, Beside I have the videos of all u just mentioned, putting it in practice should not be a problem to me,

Finally, how can I get a reliable and trust worthy agent or link towards having a job, I really need one...

Is there a way I can reach u apart from nairaland...?

Thanks a million.....
Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by captainmichaelo: 1:18pm On Mar 20, 2016
Etizz:

God bless u, but that stamp is not fake, it's duly endorsed by a registered shipping master, the fake Herr should be the seaterm I guess,....

Furthermore, i can cope and catch up very easily, Beside I have the videos of all u just mentioned, putting it in practice should not be a problem to me,

Finally, how can I get a reliable and trust worthy agent or link towards having a job, I really need one...

Is there a way I can reach u apart from nairaland...?

Thanks a million.....

Am also a mariner and altho I dint want to comment on this thread, I must let u know that all the stamps u have on your db is fake!!! Either it is endorsed or not. U can only get a true record of sea service when u work onboard a ship...a question to u is: Can d master of the self acclaimed ship say u ever served under him? Did u have a cadet logbook stall? Was it filled? Cos what many people dunno is there is a cadet logbook also filled alongside your db...there are tons of tasks in it that should have bn completed. If u did serve on any vessel u wont have any issue atall with getting a Job cos the officers onboard your ship during your cadetship will teach u how to gk about things. Nigeria is swimming in corruption n its sickening.... Anyway, as regards the crewing agency, u can try Gac marine... N pls where did u get ur coc from Am suprised u passed it without practical experience... Cheers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by Etizz: 1:33pm On Mar 20, 2016
captainmichaelo:

Am also a mariner and altho I dint want to comment on this thread, I must let u know that all the stamps u have on your db is fake!!! Either it is endorsed or not. U can only get a true record of sea service when u work onboard a ship...a question to u is: Can d master of the self acclaimed ship say u ever served under him? Did u have a cadet logbook stall? Was it filled? Cos what many people dunno is there is a cadet logbook also filled alongside your db...there are tons of tasks in it that should have bn completed. If u did serve on any vessel u wont have any issue atall with getting a Job cos the officers onboard your ship during your cadetship will teach u how to gk about things. Nigeria is swimming in corruption n its sickening.... Anyway, as regards the crewing agency, u can try Gac marine... N pls where did u get ur coc from Am suprised u passed it without practical experience... Cheers.

Thank u so so much for the enlightenment...

COC is not what anyone get from d gutter, I am a graduate in Electrical Engineering, I have gone through formal education, therefore, I am not really dat dumb not to pass the interview/exam, in otherwords, I collect various questions and answers asked for the past few years, and compiled all of them, I do go for tutorial classes on how to answer all the questions.... Sir, I will say it again, I can cope with any situation or operation on board any vessel,......

Seriously, if you can link me up I will be so grateful..... I really need a job, if not for the situation of the country, after being a graduate, I don't think I will swerve to marine.

Once again, thank you very much Sir.....
Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by fashrola(m): 9:21pm On Mar 23, 2016
Etizz:

Thank u so so much for the enlightenment...

COC is not what anyone get from d gutter, I am a graduate in Electrical Engineering, I have gone through formal education, therefore, I am not really dat dumb not to pass the interview/exam, in otherwords, I collect various questions and answers asked for the past few years, and compiled all of them, I do go for tutorial classes on how to answer all the questions.... Sir, I will say it again, I can cope with any situation or operation on board any vessel,......

Seriously, if you can link me up I will be so grateful..... I really need a job, if not for the situation of the country, after being a graduate, I don't think I will swerve to marine.

Once again, thank you very much Sir.....

We know u ain't dumb.... but getting COC without onboard experience is worrisome though.... cos when you finally land that dream job, you must carry out your job perfectly, because it's assumed you know the job before the OOW licence was issued out to you by NIMASA, you won't expect your chief officer or second engineer to keep watch together with you because of your incompetency

I'm almost rounding up my sea phase training dis year... to join next year COC class... it's not really easy out especially as an engine cadet working aboard a 5440KW powered AHTS vessel

I think NIMASA is really trying to cut down some Fake people coming with fake stamps on their discharge booklets by first putting a call to the company to verify if you really worked onboard their ship before interviewing you for your eligibility letter.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by Pamelayoung: 10:47pm On Mar 23, 2016
Tnx goodness for this thread. Pls op where and how can I train to serve as a steward onboard cruise vessel?
Re: SEAFARERS Messroom by Etizz: 1:25pm On Apr 08, 2016
Ok

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Your Plan B Source of Income / Dangote Gas Explosion Kills 2 Welders In Benue(photos) / Leaving A Toxic Boss/work For Unknown Skill.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.