Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,711 members, 7,809,698 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:27 PM

Haunting Photos From A Visit To The Auschwitz And Birkenau Concentration Camps - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Haunting Photos From A Visit To The Auschwitz And Birkenau Concentration Camps (4791 Views)

A Nairalander Visit To The Moremi Statue Of Liberty.(With Pictures ) / Nigeria Have Suffered (my Experience On A Visit To India). / 8 Things You Will Notice On Your First Visit To Port Harcourt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Haunting Photos From A Visit To The Auschwitz And Birkenau Concentration Camps by Nobody: 11:34am On Feb 12, 2015
Auschwitz concentration camp was a network of German Nazi concentration camps and extermination camps built and operated by the Third Reich in Polish areas annexed by Nazi Germany during world War II. It consisted of Auschwitz I (the original camp), Auschwitz II Birkenau(a combination concentration/extermination camp), Auschwitz III Monowitz(a labor camp to staffan IG Farbenfactory), and 45 satellite camps.

Auschwitz I was first constructed to hold Polish political prisoners, who began to arrive in May 1940. The first extermination of prisoners took place in September 1941, and Auschwitz II Birkenau went on to become a major site of the Nazi "Final Solutionto theJewish question". From early 1942 until late 1944, transport trains delivered Jews to the camp's gas chambers from all over German-occupied Europe, where they were killed with the pesticide Zyklon B.

At least 1.1 million prisoners died at Auschwitz, around 90 percent of them Jewish; approximately 1 in 6 Jews killed in the Holocaust died at the camp. Others deported to Auschwitz included 150,000 Poles, 23,000 Romani and Sinti, 15,000 Soviet prisoners of war, 400 Jehovah's Witnesses,homosexuals, and tens of thousands of people of diverse nationalities.

Many of those not killed in the gas chambers died of starvation, forced labor, infectious diseases, individual executions, and medical experiments.In the course of the war, the camp was staffed by 6,500 to 7,000 members of the German Schutzstaffel(SS), approximately 15 percent of whom were later convicted of war crimes. Some including camp commandant Rudolf Höss, were executed. The Allied Powers refused to believe early reports of the atrocities at the camp, and their failure to bomb the camp or its railways remains controversial. One hundred and forty-four prisoners are known to have escaped from Auschwitz successfully, and on October 7, 1944, two Sonder kommando units; prisoners assigned to staff the gas chambers launched a brief, unsuccessful uprising.As Soviet troops approached Auschwitz in January 1945, most of its population was evacuated and sent on a death march. The prisoners remaining at the camp were liberated on January 27, 1945, a day now commemorated as International Holocaust Remembrance Day.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auschwitz_concentration_camp

http://cavemancircus.com/2014/05/27/haunting-photos-visit-auschwitz-birkenau-concentration-camps/

1. The famous “Arbeit Macht Frei” sign over the front entrance to the Auschwitz I labor camp, an ironic sign meaning “Workwill set you free.”

2. A view looking north towards one of the many guard towers along the electrified fence surrounding Auschwitz I.

3. A row of prisoner blocks at Auschwitz I.

4. The block at Auschwitz I reserved solely for extermination purposes. While Auschwitz I was primarily a labor camp, some extermination was carried out here, primarily by phenol lethal injection, starvation, or by shooting squad.

Re: Haunting Photos From A Visit To The Auschwitz And Birkenau Concentration Camps by Nobody: 11:41am On Feb 12, 2015
5. A pile of eye glasses left behind by the prisoners. Prisoners were forced to leave their eye glasses behind before being led to the one gas chamber on site at Auschwitz I.

6. A massive pile of handicapped persons’ materials. Any and all people with permanent physical handicaps were exterminated immediately upon arrival to Auschwitz and any prosthetic legs or crutches were left behind before extermination.

7. A massive pile of personal kitchen belongings left behind by the primarily Jewish inmates at Auschwitz I. The piles of personal belongings left today at Auschwitz are only a fraction of what actually was there, these piles are only what wasn’t destroyed before the Red Army liberated the camps.

8. A close up of a massive pile of suitcases and briefcases. When forced onto the trains with their belongings, the inmates were told (falsely) that it was a temporary move to help work for the German war effort. They were told to label their suitcases for their eventual (false again) return to their hometowns within the German Reich.

Re: Haunting Photos From A Visit To The Auschwitz And Birkenau Concentration Camps by Redoil: 11:46am On Feb 12, 2015
I hope they will reward ur effort by putting it on front page.
Re: Haunting Photos From A Visit To The Auschwitz And Birkenau Concentration Camps by Nobody: 11:55am On Feb 12, 2015
9. This is by far, in my opinion, depressing display at Auschwitz I. This and the next photo are a massive (larger than any of the previous displays) of children’s shoes and footwear. Small children (younger than 11-12 years old) were exterminated immediately, due to being seen as unfit for work. I almost lost it in this room.

10. A pile of personal hygiene materials, mostly combs, shaving brushes, and some razors left behind by the inmates.

11. After approximately 3 weeks or whenever depending on the need for space, inmates graduated to burlap mattresses filled with straw. 2 inmates were assigned per mattress and as many as 200 were kept within one room in one block.

12. A bathroom in one of the housing blocks. Inmates were allowed indoor bathroom privileges maybe once or twice a week. And even then, the conditions in most of the bathrooms were atrocious..

Re: Haunting Photos From A Visit To The Auschwitz And Birkenau Concentration Camps by Nobody: 12:17pm On Feb 12, 2015
13. For inmates that had lasted longer than approximately 2 months, they moved onto these wooden bunk beds. Approximately 4-5 inmates were on each pallet. When the camp quickly became overcrowded and the inmates became morbidly underweight, some 10-11 inmates were forced to sleep on one pallet per bunk.

14. The stop sign in Polish and German. Crossing that sign within sight of one of the guards was grounds for immediate execution.

15. The wall where executions by firing squad were carried out. Escapees and injured inmates suffered the majority of firing squad executions. Behind the grey barrier, you can still see bullet holes in the brick wall.

16. A canister of the cyanide poison most widely used in the gas chambers at Auschwitz I and Auschwitz II-Birkenau, Zyklon-B. The pellets were dropped into pipes and when mixed with water, released the toxic gas that became the industrialized killing method that was most popular at Auschwitz I and Birkenau.

Re: Haunting Photos From A Visit To The Auschwitz And Birkenau Concentration Camps by Nobody: 12:26pm On Feb 12, 2015
17. A pile of used canisters of Zyklon-B poison. This is only a mere fraction of what was used at both camps, as a great deal of the evidence of mass killing had been destroyed at both camps before the Red Army could liberate them.

18. A rose placed by the descendants of a prisoner who had passed away when executed trying to escape the barbed wire fence that bordered the inmates’ camp and the camp staff area.

19. The sign and reconstructed gallows where the most infamous Auschwitz commandant, Rudolf Höss, was hung for his war crimes. He was hung here and had his body burned in the crematorium on site at Auschwitz I.

20. 2 of the 4 crematoriums that had not been destroyed at either of the two camps I visited. There is still human ash inside the ovens and the entire crematorium area is still black from the soot. This was probably the second most depressing part of the visit for me.

Re: Haunting Photos From A Visit To The Auschwitz And Birkenau Concentration Camps by Nobody: 12:28pm On Feb 12, 2015
Redoil:
I hope they will reward ur effort by putting it on front page.

grin lets hope if its worthy of FP, just doing what I like doing.
Re: Haunting Photos From A Visit To The Auschwitz And Birkenau Concentration Camps by Nobody: 12:37pm On Feb 12, 2015
21. The carts used by Jewish prisoner sonderkommandos, prisoners forced to carry the dead bodies and put them in the crematoriums for the SS staff on site. This was one section of the building that contained both the gas chamber and the crematoriums at Auschwitz I.

22. The sign outside Birkenau, describing how the Nazi’s razed 7 Polish villages in the area to build the huge camp that was to become Birkenau, and used the bricks from the razed buildings to construct the housing units at the camp.

23. The famed main gate of Birkenau from within the camp. Thissight was always associated with death, as 90% of those who passed through Birkenau passed away.

24. The English language memorial plaque at the Birkenau museum stage.

Re: Haunting Photos From A Visit To The Auschwitz And Birkenau Concentration Camps by Nobody: 1:06pm On Feb 12, 2015
25. Clandestine photo taken by a member of the Sonderkommando of undressed women on their way to the gas chamber.

26. The cadaver of Berlin dairy merchant Menachem Taffel. He was deported to Auschwitz in March 1943 along with his wife and child, who were gassed upon arrival. He was chosen to be an anatomical specimen. He was shipped to Natzweiler Struthof and murdered in the gas chamber in August 1943.

27. Hungarian Jews on the Judenrampe (Jewish ramp) after disembarking from the transport trains. To be sentrechts;

To the right, meant the person had been chosen as a laborer.

To the left, meant death in the gas chambers.

Photo from the Auschwitz Album May 1944.

28. Polish inmates identity photographs taken by Wilhelm Brasse,1942 .

Re: Haunting Photos From A Visit To The Auschwitz And Birkenau Concentration Camps by Nobody: 1:12pm On Feb 12, 2015
Nice one bro,worthy of FP,I do hope the mods see this,moreover keep it coming
Re: Haunting Photos From A Visit To The Auschwitz And Birkenau Concentration Camps by Moana(f): 9:37pm On Feb 15, 2015
This is depressing
Re: Haunting Photos From A Visit To The Auschwitz And Birkenau Concentration Camps by Nobody: 1:13pm On Feb 16, 2015
Moana:
This is depressing

So sad, men around the world are so cruel to one another. Lots of atrocities have been committed from the past and still going on.
Re: Haunting Photos From A Visit To The Auschwitz And Birkenau Concentration Camps by beau49: 1:36pm On Feb 16, 2015
Wow....what a terrible thing to be fall anyone.
Re: Haunting Photos From A Visit To The Auschwitz And Birkenau Concentration Camps by tuoyoojo(m): 9:37pm On Mar 01, 2015
A case of man's inhumanity to man. How could one descend so low to imagine, let alone doing this to another person

Depressing is too shallow a word I could use to explain how I feel abt this pics

Thumbs up OP. I learn a lot from ur posts
Re: Haunting Photos From A Visit To The Auschwitz And Birkenau Concentration Camps by Nobody: 5:59am On Mar 02, 2015
tuoyoojo:
A case of man's inhumanity to man. How could one descend so low to imagine, let alone doing this to another person

Depressing is too shallow a word I could use to explain how I feel abt this pics

Thumbs up OP. I learn a lot from ur posts

That's our world brother, men those days were heartless. I pray against anything like World War III, that's when we'll know that men of this generation are more heartless.

Thanks for your comments.
Re: Haunting Photos From A Visit To The Auschwitz And Birkenau Concentration Camps by idu1(m): 6:46am On Mar 02, 2015
embarassed
Re: Haunting Photos From A Visit To The Auschwitz And Birkenau Concentration Camps by Nobody: 1:01pm On Mar 18, 2015
idu1:
embarassed

What bro?
Re: Haunting Photos From A Visit To The Auschwitz And Birkenau Concentration Camps by idu1(m): 2:28pm On Mar 18, 2015
Sile12:

What bro?
menh, the place is full of sorrow.....
Re: Haunting Photos From A Visit To The Auschwitz And Birkenau Concentration Camps by Nobody: 2:48pm On Mar 18, 2015
idu1:
menh, the place is full of sorrow.....

Really full of sorrow bro, only those that witnessed and survived this place can tell the story.

29. Children in Auschwitz, victims of medical experiments.

cc: justwise

(1) (Reply)

Why Don't Airplanes Have Parachute Systems? / Usa Visa Renewal In Lagos: Vjustice, Justwise, Please Advice / 20 Photos Of Kampala You Would Mistake For London(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.