Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,902 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:55 PM

7 Decades Of Marriage, Not One Arguement! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 7 Decades Of Marriage, Not One Arguement! (1288 Views)

Nigerian Woman Delivers Sextuplets (3 Boys, 3 Girls) After 17 Years Of Marriage / Couple Welcomes 1st Baby Of 2016 At Abuja Hospital After 9 Years Of Marriage / MFM Pastor Batters Wife Of 17 Years For Opting Out Of Marriage (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Decades Of Marriage, Not One Arguement! by toys2seven(m): 5:59pm On Feb 12, 2015
One of Britain's longest married couples have been wed over seven decades without a single row.
Since marrying in 1941, Ernie and Renie Hills from Tiverton, Devon, have survived Hitler's Blitz, a bout of tropical thrombosis and a stint in an iron lung.
Not only that, but the husband and wife endured it all without arguing once.

The couple believe that if everyone used their fail-safe technique - talking things through - then there would be no more war in the world.
Ernie, 97, an ex toolmaker and serviceman-come-milkman, and Renie, 93, who worked in London's factories during the Second World War, first met when she was pushing a bike near her home.
A man walking nearby shouted out, 'Oi, would you like to hold me up like that?'
She said: 'That was it, we were together after that.'
Ernie added: And you know what? We've never argued since that day,' he explained.
The couple say the key to such a long marriage was mutual discussion, a clear understanding of one another's needs.
Speaking to Exter express and Echo, Renie said: 'I take no notice - if he's a bit up I throw it away - throw it to the wind.'
If there's a disagreement, the couple sit down and talk it out instead of raising their voices.
She said: 'I say what's my view and he says what's his view and we argue it out like that.
'We're married - he's mine and I'm his and that's how we look at it.
'We talk things over.'
Ernie added: 'There's no need to argue.
'If we find anything we're going to argue over we discuss it.
'If people talked things over there'd be no wars on earth.'
Ernie, who served in the Second World War, contracted tropical thrombosis, a life threatening condition, while serving in Mombasa, Kenya and was rushed home.
Renie was terrified for Ernie's life, but thankfully he eventually recovered.
She said: 'It was as if the heavens opened up for me on that day and it's like they've never closed since.'

http://www.maturemindstalk.com/2015/02/couple-married-for-70-years-shares.html

Mature Minds Talk.

1st picture is the loving couple

2nd picture is their wedding photo in 1941.

Re: 7 Decades Of Marriage, Not One Arguement! by Paulpaulpaul(m): 6:14pm On Feb 12, 2015
That's not possible this days, even if you marry Jesus' sister.

We are always angry, bunch of aggressive people on the street

1 Like

Re: 7 Decades Of Marriage, Not One Arguement! by bukatyne(f): 6:26pm On Feb 12, 2015
Nice one cheesy
Re: 7 Decades Of Marriage, Not One Arguement! by Nobody: 10:05pm On Feb 12, 2015
Though I doubt the possibility of this story, I really love the first pic... So cute, see the old woman's wedding ring still shining kiss kiss

Also, their pic depicts true love, so awesome smiley smiley kiss
Re: 7 Decades Of Marriage, Not One Arguement! by TV01(m): 1:14am On Feb 13, 2015
MarvellousGod:
Though I doubt the possibility of this story, I really love the first pic... So cute, see the old woman's wedding ring still shining kiss kiss

I think it's very possible - could even see it being pretty commonplace in another era.

Just two well disposed, sensible and mature people, who are committed, understand it makes sense to make an effort for the long-term good, that there is no point in squabbling and they are simply too well mannered to resort to hostility.

You could even have that without a great love, let alone with it. Haven't done a tenth of their time yet, but we've never had an argument. Differences yes - and they always get resolved - fights no.

And it's never boring. It's a continual fulfilling of our hopes, expectations and desires. Love you Mama kiss

TV

**wannaweds, be sure to get great pix, the are always there to remind you of your day and your commitment to one another**

1 Like

Re: 7 Decades Of Marriage, Not One Arguement! by KanwuliaJara: 5:58am On Feb 13, 2015
Would have been surprised if they are from the BLACK RACE!
Impossible!!!! grin

2 Likes

Re: 7 Decades Of Marriage, Not One Arguement! by jaybee3(m): 6:02am On Feb 13, 2015
KanwuliaJara:
Impossible!!!! grin
GBAM
Re: 7 Decades Of Marriage, Not One Arguement! by okotv(m): 6:40am On Feb 13, 2015
KanwuliaJara:
Impossible!!!! grin
Don't say what you don't know. It happens around here but who cares to share their story. I know someone whose remark at the burial of his late wife was that 'never for once did she raise her voice on me'. That was W. F Kumuyi. He remarried and the couple seem to be going that way. If you haven't seen doesn't mean it doesn't happen although its very rare.
Re: 7 Decades Of Marriage, Not One Arguement! by bukatyne(f): 9:11am On Feb 13, 2015
MarvellousGod:

@bold: Why?
Re: 7 Decades Of Marriage, Not One Arguement! by Nobody: 12:10pm On Feb 13, 2015
bukatyne:

@bold: Why?
No argument for years?? Like shouting, getting angry et al.. It's hard to believe but then nothing is impossible anyway undecided

Good for them smiley
Re: 7 Decades Of Marriage, Not One Arguement! by ihedinobi2: 1:57pm On Feb 14, 2015
So beautiful. And yes it's possible. If two people take for granted that they belong to each other and own life's challenges together they can sit down and talk every last thing through. Arguments result from a feeling that you're not getting heard.

(1) (Reply)

Should You Respect Women Even If All The Women You Know Are Witches? / I Am Depressed !!! / How-to-protect-your-home-appliances-from-electrical-power-surges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.