Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,054 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:23 AM

Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? (20615 Views)

10 Professions In Nigeria You Can Still Practice Without Studying them / Fidelity Bank, Best Bank To Work For In Nigeria – Survey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by vexxy(f): 4:03pm On Oct 06, 2005
I was involved in an interesting conversation with a woman I met on Sunday. She mentioned how she'd like to return home after finishing her education.

She was then ridiculed by others (also from West Africa) saying they'd never go back due to the constant wars, corrupt government/police, lack of adequate jobs and pay, and lack of developed areas.

She then stated that it will never get better if no one goes back to institute changes. She further stated that only those who came from poor homes would refuse to go back.

[Nigerians studying abroad], what would you do?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by Scorpio(f): 9:10pm On Oct 06, 2005
I don't think i want to go home to work fulltime, i could do that like during my vacations if i find a place that i would love to work in and also if the pay is good.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by SEGUN2003(m): 11:20pm On Oct 06, 2005
I have in this country for about 20 years now. I came here on my way to the U.S.A and I sort of fell in love with this place at first sight. I have finished my studies a long tima ago and have started working, but I must confess 'there is no place like home". If I have the oportunity of having a very good job with a good salary, I think I will go back home and try to do my part.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by abuguy64(m): 11:07am On Oct 07, 2005
I had the lofty idea of going back home after my studies in NL in late 2002. Got really frustrated at the treatment I recieved when I got back to my former place of work. It did not take too long to decide to check out again,for greener pastures. I honestly cant say for now,if I'll ever want to go back home to settle down. I visit frequently becos my wife and kis are still back there. The temptation not to go back home to work am sure is so strong.I mean,you get better job,better pay,better life,and better services-so whay would one want to go back!?
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by adesodgi(m): 12:17pm On Oct 07, 2005
people dont know its quite a good thing to go back home and contribute your quota to the society,yet you say the country is not improving,HOW will it wen you all are running away planning not to come back,its shittt...

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by omon(m): 1:01pm On Oct 07, 2005
There are good jobs in nigeria too. A friend of mine had two offers - in the UK and in Nigeria after our studies. He chose the Nigerian job because of what it offered and the opportunities he would get. I will take up a job in Nigeria if it is good just like I will go to any country for the same purpose.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by casper(m): 1:46pm On Oct 07, 2005
omo yes oooo!!. if i get a good job in nigeria i would go....but waitr must you work for people b4 you go to ur homeland cant you go and start up your own business?? wink smiley must you be under someone why dont ya ALL think GREATT!!!!!

peace out!!!
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by uchetobi(f): 2:29pm On Oct 07, 2005
I think they are jobs, good jobs at that if you know whaere to fish for. where i work presently they are 11 foreign students. 1 from canada and the rest from us and uk and everyone earns good including home students. so people should not be discouraged to come back home. but y'all know leg pass leg wink
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by Latoya(f): 4:53pm On Oct 07, 2005
I will go back home to work for charity and not money.i am thinking of transfering my medical work placement to somewhere in Africa especially nigeria.i hope it works sha,everything will be free,i will be sponsored by my university and Australian government,accommodation and food will be taken care of, all i need to do is pray it works.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by vexxy(f): 4:55pm On Oct 07, 2005
That's a very noble thing to do, Toya. I pray that it truly does work out for you.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by uchetobi(f): 5:01pm On Oct 07, 2005
Latoya you are making me cry thats so sweet of you
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by opeyemi(m): 6:09pm On Oct 07, 2005
There is no place like home that's what people say. For me, I dont want to go abroad to be enslaved. I want to go and have the whole freedom in the world to move out anytime. I will surely come beck to Nigeria and contribute to the success of the country. This country shall be great, I believe and I will be a part of the greatness story. That is my plan.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by nike4luv(f): 6:22pm On Oct 07, 2005
sure i'll come back home..ile labo isimi okay..home is where de heart is..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by hotangel2(f): 1:28am On Oct 08, 2005
hell yeah i'll go home. But this place is also home. I have two homes.. But nigeria is the first. I don't see my self working in nigeria. I will have my own buisness there, I have stuffs I'm planning to do there. I will be going home for visits, vacations, and all. But Like stay there permanently?? I don't think so. Don't get me wrong please... i just hope you're feeling my vibe.

See, i love My country, I am deffinitely going to add to the growth of that country (so help me God). I am not praying to finish school here and go back to nigeria to work under somebody. I am going to go (home) and have my own what is it called.. "establishment??, business?. Just have someone that's my own.. and i'll be the one to employ people. smiley My concentration will be on teenagers and kids. Something that has to do with building and making the future generation great.

@ latoya, i havent heard such a nice thing in soo long. That's really good. I pray God help you. smiley
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by skima(m): 10:30am On Oct 08, 2005
I will like you guys to answer this question ;
If the people who developed where you are now, failed to stay or come back home would it be that way?
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by skima(m): 10:31am On Oct 08, 2005
If you have something great to offer, then it will be helpful you come back. Cos if u dont who will?
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by skima(m): 10:35am On Oct 08, 2005
I also do not back the idea of coming to work under someone. I think you have way of pursueing your dream when you are the one in-charge.

I will not also lay mouth of rejection on the idea of working under someone. If you see someone with great dream that you can support then do so.

You may think your head and see what you can offer the country that will remain in her head even after your death.

THINK BIG, START SMALL !! LIKE IS GOOD.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by skima(m): 10:43am On Oct 08, 2005
Nigeria have the potential for greatness. And part of it has been expressed here. This thread might also be a think twice for those who have made the decision of not come back.

remember Guys : "the most greatful thing a man will do in His life-time is to change life for good".

Life is beyond living fine. You may be living fine, you may be earning good pay, riding good cars, good life style . but the question is "what will you do with your life?".
Think about it. If die abroad and you are brought down to where you forgot to develop, what will happen? man... the grounds will be agry and even re-kill  shocked ..

"The boat in the harbour is safe but that is not what its was bought for"
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by skima(m): 10:46am On Oct 08, 2005
NOTE *** This is not begging or preaching, just ask yourself "what can I do for my ancestors."
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by skima(m): 10:50am On Oct 08, 2005
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by IAH(f): 5:23pm On Oct 11, 2005
This is something I've also thought about deeply. I will surely go back home after my studies. If one is rich, Nigeria is the best place to lavish. I could just go abroad on holidays but Naija is the place to be!!!
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by Funsho(m): 2:03pm On Oct 16, 2005
The idea of coming back home after studying abroad...dont think anyone would like to came back home only if they have real connection..dont forget that this is Nigeria our beloved country in which there are so so many graduates on the street..."coming back home"...Naaaa!
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by nana(f): 1:13am On Nov 06, 2005
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO wink
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by sade(f): 9:59pm On Nov 06, 2005
I believe wherever I am and I have peace is my home. I don't see myself going back to Nigeria to settle down.Ofcourse I can always go there for Christmas or the rest but not to settle down.I have my families here and even if I want to go back now whom do I meet..my cousins or friends.I may have a small business there but I must confess I don't see myself "settling down" there. No, no, no!

Those who want to go back and contribute well goodluck but how many people has actually contributed and if at all you contribute how will it show that you've contributed.

Of course home is home but a home that you are and you have all your money but no rest of mind..this minute you are scared of arm robber coming to your house the next minute you are scared of another thing. But wherever I am and I have a rest of mind is my home.

No extravagant life here..who cares if you are rich or not but back home if you are not extra-ordinary rich then you can't enjoy the so called home. We have only one life time so I have to make myself comfortable either its home or not.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Nov 06, 2005
it's not a bad idea...a graduate abroad is always very respected in nigeria so i guess i will give it try one day
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by rasheedah: 10:08pm On Nov 06, 2005
..i want to study medicine and believe me there's no way I'm working in this country....i just want to work for about a year and get the experience of working abroad...and then after that its back to nigeria...by the Almighty's grace i plan on establishing my own hospital where the people who are less fortunate get treated at subsidized rates cos it breaks my heart to see people dying cos they cannot pay the hospital bills of private hospitals...and the government hospitals r nothing to write home about..i would also want to  do a bit of research all over the world and find ways we could all work to improve our health sector..i mean common guys if we don't help our country...by staying abroad then who will?think about it!
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by vizion: 9:00am On Nov 15, 2005
nija is the best place for one to make cool money
u don't have to work under someone
just take a look at the good things u see over, there bring it down, here develope the place, and make ur money.
quite simple
life in nigeria is easier than life abroad.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by kenflavor(m): 11:58am On Nov 16, 2005
Good for you guys. Please make sure you come home only if you are sure of getting a good job. ADVICE

@nike4luv
ile labo isimi oko and not okay, ok
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by loveth(f): 4:41pm On Dec 02, 2005
KENFLAVOUR,SO YOU ARE GOOD ADVICER.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by larger20(m): 9:34pm On Dec 02, 2005
Right from the first day I arrived in the united states, I know that I want to back home. After mastering in manufacturing engineering and business admin, I plan on doing my PHD in nigerian university which is mostly research cos I know it all with my Masters degree. After getting my PHD, I could teach in nigerian universities as a professor and with the right connection, with the books i have written, with the right set of mind and with my leadership qualities, I might join manufactruing association of nigeria to for-see manufactruing aspects of the economy. I will make more money in nigeria while helping the nation. I am proud to be a nigerian!
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by enchantra(f): 10:52pm On Dec 09, 2005
if i studied abroad; yes i would go back home because there is no place like home. However, i don't think i would want to work back home, i would rather establish my own business and be my own boss because i don't think companies in nigeria can pay me enough.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by larger20(m): 11:41pm On Dec 09, 2005
There are infinitesimal advantage in establishing a company back home..a system that is not in financial equribrium. You can take the nation for a sweep while they kill themselves in the oil...It takes strong and courage optimistic potentials to reach these goals..after my masters here in the US, I will do my PHD in nigeria which is basically the same thing as working

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Another Nairalander Doing Nigeria Proud In U. A. E / Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! / Chivita Hires Policemen Against Workers As One Shot Dead, Company Reacts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.