Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,138 members, 7,825,575 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:58 PM

A Brief And Intresting History Of Valentine's Day! - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / A Brief And Intresting History Of Valentine's Day! (522 Views)

Benue University Fresh Graduate Who Died On Valentine's Day Buried (Photos) / This Amazing Wedding In Lagos On Valentine's Day Got People Talking (Photos) / Happy Valentine's Day To All Nairalanders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Brief And Intresting History Of Valentine's Day! by superken(m): 1:13am On Feb 14, 2015
The real history of Valentine's Day is not comprised of roses, chocolates and pretty cards. Instead, crime, imprisonment and execution are at the genesis of our modern day love fest, dating back to the man whose martyrdom may have inspired the holiday. There were reportedly three early Christian saints named Valentine, but the one the holiday likely comes from was a Roman priest during the 3rd century A.D. under Emperor Claudius II. The Roman Empire was experiencing massive turmoil at the time.

Dubbed the 'Crisis of the Third Century' by scholars, this period saw the empire divide into three competing states, with the threat of invasion all around. Claudius made the unpopular decision to ban marriage among young people, believing that unmarried soldiers fought better than married soldiers. With the Roman Empire hanging by a thread, Claudius needed all the brazen war power he could get.

This is where Valentine comes in; the pesky priest who believed marriage to be a God-given sacrament. Valentine began officiating marriages in secret but was eventually found out and imprisoned. Author Greg Tobin noted that the advent of the Valentine's Day love note may have come about from young children passing Valentine notes through the prison bars, but this may be embellishment to an otherwise tragic story.

Continue reading here: http://www.kennwaforsblog.com/2015/02/valentines-day-where-and-how-it-all.html

Re: A Brief And Intresting History Of Valentine's Day! by Nobody: 1:29am On Feb 14, 2015
like seriously...i want valentine...to remain the way it is at the moment....

abeg i nor like dis history at all....can someone please tell me another history of it??...lols...

let be like titanic....jack and rose....romeo and juliet...not one priest and whatever....lols
Re: A Brief And Intresting History Of Valentine's Day! by PROCTOR: 2:25am On Feb 14, 2015
Little i owe to how it started, the little i've seen over the years have been misconception and misrepresentation of love
even if it had started well, it surely is'nt going on same way

(1) (Reply)

Farm Fresh Chicken/snails/shrimps @ Bushmann / 1st Lbs Entrepreneurship Fair / Happy Diwali Whatsapp Messages In Hindi English

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.