Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,810 members, 7,813,669 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:58 PM

Unijos Students To Pay N12,000 Each - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Unijos Students To Pay N12,000 Each (10138 Views)

10,000# Each To 3 Nairalanders From This Section / The Shortest And The Most Popular Guy In UNIJOS (Photo) / Corruption At Its Peak: Unijos Students To Pay 12, 000 Each For 'damages'. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unijos Students To Pay N12,000 Each by adakoleagbenu: 5:16pm On Feb 14, 2015
TI1919:
That's what happen when you elect a wrong person to be a president of the students union. How can an SUG president led students to demonstrate just because he perceived increase in fees. Now they are paying for demonstrating and destruction of properties I just pity final year students may God enlarge there heart.
that was not the only reason for the protest pls
Re: Unijos Students To Pay N12,000 Each by adakoleagbenu: 5:18pm On Feb 14, 2015
Vanmatrix:
This is just what fupre is doing!!!! Uni jos is far more better!!!!! Imagine hostel fee of 10k NW increased to 30k .....acceptance fee of 10k increased to 30k.......imagine!!!
just evil
Re: Unijos Students To Pay N12,000 Each by chi4ik(m): 5:20pm On Feb 14, 2015
great gossite, let nobody pay this money, this VC is evil & devilish, I have told my classmates & so many jossite not to pay. this is a fight to finish
Re: Unijos Students To Pay N12,000 Each by jdbrasco(m): 5:21pm On Feb 14, 2015
TI1919:
That's what happen when you elect a wrong person to be a president of the students union. How can an SUG president led students to demonstrate just because he perceived increase in fees. Now they are paying for demonstrating and destruction of properties I just pity final year students may God enlarge there heart.
Guy, my cousin is a victim of this incident. He has only two week to graduate but has been at home for abt 3mnths now. He said d VC is trying oo, stabilizing d sch calender, building more faculties and all that but dat sm ppl dn't like him due to politics and not sharing d money. These SUG collect dues from students and they dnt do anything with it other dan buying cars and hving retinue of girlfriends. Thou 27k sch fees is tough for sm ppl bt violent protest is not the way to go abt reducing it. The students were incited by sm lecturers and SUG officials
Re: Unijos Students To Pay N12,000 Each by ImperfectMe(m): 5:38pm On Feb 14, 2015
Jossites we cannot continue to keep quiet in the face
of oppression. We must not take to the streets to
protest as this might once again be hijacked by
hoodlums, bt we can all decide not to pay this
outrages fee being demanded for by the VC which
amounts to millions; millions of naira. All of us cannot be stopped from writing the exams if we cooperate.
Injustice was protested...a victimization committee
was set up...but they need a final ingredient to
achieve this wicked plan, and that's our cooperation.
Pls pls pls and pls let's not let then have that. Let's call upon the UNIJOS alumni that have been
painfully silent. Some of us have parents in public
offices...let's call upon our parents even if it means
organising a PTA meeting like way back in sec sch.
Now that the school have decided to even exploit us
more despite not meeting the early requests, let's let the world know and speak till this unfounded
money for damages is removed...till the 10,000 naira
dev. levy is removed...till the 10,000 naira late reg.
levy is removed... till our suspended SUG officials(if
true) are recalled. Am sure even lecturers that do not
benefit from this act of greed will buy into this. Let's cry out loud.
NANS come in...
Faculty of law, come in...
Ministry of Education, come in...
NBA, come in...
Civil societies in Nigeria come in... Jossites, stay in... Let's say no to to exploitation! Let's speak with one
voice and victory will be certain. Students should be
treated like humans or the VC should step down for
another who can. Please pass this message around.

1 Like

Re: Unijos Students To Pay N12,000 Each by Coolguy89(m): 5:48pm On Feb 14, 2015
adakoleagbenu:
My brother,nothing wey we no go see o!!! Imagine! I got admission into unijos in 2009...till now I still dey 400l....because of strikes,bomb blasts,crisis,ect..na just to write 7 papers graduate,na em dis wahala come dey....may you "academic journey be smoother than mine "
Ameen.take heart bro,its shall come to pass,May God help us all
Re: Unijos Students To Pay N12,000 Each by Klasique911(m): 9:06pm On Feb 14, 2015
Of the Greatest Jossites
UNinTiMiDAtEd Jossites
Ever conscious Jossites

Hayward is Wayward
Re: Unijos Students To Pay N12,000 Each by eyinjuege: 9:58pm On Feb 14, 2015
Violence is never the answer. Why should students destroy school property that's meant for their use? Its like cutting off the nose to spite the face!!!
Anyways, a lot may not agree with this, but paying the 12K actually will teach some life lessons -
1. " There are always repercussions for every action"
2. Taking responsibility for every right/wrong act

The cost of education is expensive everywhere. The best schools i.e Unis in the world have such high fees, and Nigerian students should be after getting the government interested in providing loans and scholarships for deserving students. Private individuals and corporations too can get involved.
Re: Unijos Students To Pay N12,000 Each by afanide: 10:13pm On Feb 14, 2015
These are the same set of people that Enjoyed Free Education in their days......

It's unfortunate!!!
Re: Unijos Students To Pay N12,000 Each by lacasera14(m): 10:30pm On Feb 14, 2015
Guy yours is cheaper, just last year in my school Rivers state polytechnic (although am in Unical now ) there was a similar case like, a riot as a result of the death of a student who was a later found to be alive. we were to told to pay 21,300 all they all paid except me before they could write their exams. It's like that everywhere, u guys have to pay for the damages.
Re: Unijos Students To Pay N12,000 Each by Hugo7(m): 11:26pm On Feb 14, 2015
When I saw this 12k charge I was shocked, this V.c no try at all...if some student want to protest against the charge am sure some of them will compromise..u.J hurry abeg to time to waste time.
Re: Unijos Students To Pay N12,000 Each by Mrbigman1(m): 1:12am On Feb 15, 2015
adakoleagbenu:
Thank you for your opinion,but you see,the new twist is the payment of N12,000 fees as damages. So many students are innocent. And even if we are to pay,the fee is exorbitant. Our school fees is N27,400,which is pretty modest. We just want to see the fruits of the payment of "development" fees because right now,we see nothing!

Did u say that a school fees of 27 thousand is modest for a federal uni?
Even in the east where cost of living is higher, they pay lesser, I mean Unizik.
Re: Unijos Students To Pay N12,000 Each by adakoleagbenu: 10:01am On Feb 15, 2015
Mrbigman1:

Did u say that a school fees of 27 thousand is modest for a federal uni?
Even in the east where cost of living is higher, they pay lesser, I mean Unizik.
you see?? All the reason why this is daylight robbery!
Re: Unijos Students To Pay N12,000 Each by ayusco85(m): 10:37am On Feb 15, 2015
adakoleagbenu:
grrrreeeeeaaaattttt!!!!!!!!!!

These kids went and poked the bear and they got burnt. Why on earth will they want to wake up the sleeping lion? That school fees was increAsed during our time. They shld ve left it the way it is. And only protest if attempts are made to increase it from 27k. They got what they deserved, they shld all pay the 12k damages and still pay d 27k fees. That's what u get when u elect clueless SUG excos based on Plateau Agenda.
Re: Unijos Students To Pay N12,000 Each by BETATRUTH: 5:30pm On Feb 15, 2015
adakoleagbenu:
This post is created for past,present and future students of tertiary institutions to lend a voice,create awareness,call on relevant authorities and help the course!

Recall that on 24th of November 2014,after due consultations and due process,students of University Of Jos Embarked on a peaceful protest to press home their demands which include:
-Removal of N10,000 "developmental" fees charged to each student by management. This is because FG as a result of ASUU strike earmarked funds for universities,via needs assessment,etc,

-Reduction in payment of accommodation from N13,500 per bed space to the former price of N4,200

-Removal of penalty of N10,000 as "late registration fee",as most students can barely even afford the normal fee

-Reduction in acceptance fee for new students which is N25,000 per students(alarming)! What are they accepting?
Etc.

Unfortunately on the second day of the protest, some miscreants hijacked it. After blocking the Major Jos-Bauchi Road for hours by students and after several pleas from soldiers of the STF,students refused to leave after which they where shot at with live rounds,injuring at least 7 students with unconfirmed cases of deaths.

Some angry students burnt part of the school's education Lab,broke windows of a newly constructed hostel,and smashed some computers in Admin block.

Unijos authorities after consultations,closed down the school on 25th November and forcefully ejected from the hostels.. School management set up an investigative panel,and their recommendations included suspension of SUG members,total ignorance of student demands,and ordering of students to pay N12,000 each as damages fees!!

Granted some properties were damaged but N10million is excessively generous to cover such fees! N12,000 per students amounts to at least N300,000,000! (300 million)

This is injustice considering that very few properties were damages,and N12,000 is highly exaggerated for each student! This is cheating,characterised by the autocratic regime of the VC Prof Hayward Mafuyai!

Help!!!!!!!

Solution! Solution!! Solution!!!

Embark on another protest/riot and make sure you burn down the senate building this time. mcheeeew!!!

When did damaging school properties begin to add values to the school? do you expect the school authority to charge you exactly in commensurate to what you guys destroyed, you seem not to have learnt any lesson. Violence brings regret, tertiary students should be different from touts. Some Students in federal universities are ingrates, how much do private/state universities pay? Ask Nigerians that travel abroad to study how much they pay even in Ghana and Cotonou here, how many of these private/state universities are rated in overall standard higher than UNIJOS with all the money they pay, how much do secondary school pupils pay for tuition and hostel in a year. Let us be reasonable as Nigerian students if we want to move forward, things are changing. N1500 per month BBM subscription is 18,000 per year, how much more accommodation with free water, light, security, etc
Re: Unijos Students To Pay N12,000 Each by dollydolly(f): 11:28am On Feb 16, 2015
ayusco85:

These kids went and poked the bear and they got burnt. Why on earth will they want to wake up the sleeping lion? That school fees was increAsed during our time. They shld ve left it the way it is. And only protest if attempts are made to increase it from 27k. They got what they deserved, they shld all pay the 12k damages and still pay d 27k fees. That's what u get when u elect clueless SUG excos based on Plateau Agenda.
I must say that I am disappointed in you for making such comments , maybe cos u were affected by the 2013 ASUU strike n still will not benefit from the removal of the 10k if implemented. Plateau agenda or not the VC is heartless and doesn't deserve any applause. Even if we are to pay 4 d damaged properties, what about our earlier proposals? Why should it be a whooping sum of 12000k 4 each student? Why turn a deaf ear to all of them n still mandate us to pay a large sum? What has been done with all the previous development levies plus Government grants? Is it the inter-school bad road network or the poor class rooms n labs or the hostels which are in very bad states? We students are really been cheated on. U can imagine that we the students even after paying hostel maintenance will have to spend even more trying to make it at least manageable 4 a session n all we get is being booted out at d end of the day without exhausting our money. For all Jossites my question still remains, Where are we going to stay while writing this exams? Do we still pack back to d hostel, settle n prepare 4 exams within a week or transport my self from my family house in Anambra to Jos everyday in order to write my Exams? I need answers please!!!!!
Re: Unijos Students To Pay N12,000 Each by ArcToyin(m): 2:14pm On Feb 16, 2015
Vision4God:
@ adakoleagbenu, thnks.

D truth b said universities hv so much fund. U tend 2 ask wat are d scul fees, aceptance fees, PG fees (running in 100s), all oda fees used 4?
D FG pays salaries, build structures & evn highly ranked politicians all hv one project 2 carry out in exchange of admission 4 der people.

Luk @ sculs lik UniMaid, UniLag etc all also generate funds 4 d uni.

Hmmm d only thing we can do is 2 ask God 2 intervene
that just the best they can do.
Re: Unijos Students To Pay N12,000 Each by Nobody: 12:04pm On Apr 21, 2015
adakoleagbenu:
This post is created for past,present and future students of tertiary institutions to lend a voice,create awareness,call on relevant authorities and help the course!

Recall that on 24th of November 2014,after due consultations and due process,students of University Of Jos Embarked on a peaceful protest to press home their demands which include:
-Removal of N10,000 "developmental" fees charged to each student by management. This is because FG as a result of ASUU strike earmarked funds for universities,via needs assessment,etc,

-Reduction in payment of accommodation from N13,500 per bed space to the former price of N4,200

-Removal of penalty of N10,000 as "late registration fee",as most students can barely even afford the normal fee

-Reduction in acceptance fee for new students which is N25,000 per students(alarming)! What are they accepting?
Etc.

Unfortunately on the second day of the protest, some miscreants hijacked it. After blocking the Major Jos-Bauchi Road for hours by students and after several pleas from soldiers of the STF,students refused to leave after which they where shot at with live rounds,injuring at least 7 students with unconfirmed cases of deaths.

Some angry students burnt part of the school's education Lab,broke windows of a newly constructed hostel,and smashed some computers in Admin block.

Unijos authorities after consultations,closed down the school on 25th November and forcefully ejected from the hostels.. School management set up an investigative panel,and their recommendations included suspension of SUG members,total ignorance of student demands,and ordering of students to pay N12,000 each as damages fees!!

Granted some properties were damaged but N10million is excessively generous to cover such fees! N12,000 per students amounts to at least N300,000,000! (300 million)

This is injustice considering that very few properties were damages,and N12,000 is highly exaggerated for each student! This is cheating,characterised by the autocratic regime of the VC Prof Hayward Mafuyai!

Help!!!!!!!

Person ask Una to do riot?
Re: Unijos Students To Pay N12,000 Each by Charlesschools: 10:06am On Apr 22, 2015
Want to gain admission into Nigeria University and your
score is low for the course you applied for and also you
need help processing your admission and accomodation to
stay during post utme examination, contact Mr Charles for
assistance: 08153049342...

(1) (2) (Reply)

UNIVERSITY OF IBADAN Test Of English Proficiency Past Questions(drop Ur Mail Ad) / UNILAG Crisis: Academic, Non-Academic Workers Meet Over VC’s Removal / Searching For Off-campus Hostels In Nigeria? 10 Factors To Consider

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.