Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,518 members, 7,826,952 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

Can You Be Good Without GOD?? - Religion (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can You Be Good Without GOD?? (33080 Views)

Without God, Your Life Is Empty For God Is Life / A World Without God And Death of Civilization! / Religious Atheism EXPOSED : God Without Religion and Religion Without God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by dalaman: 2:06am On Mar 09, 2015
Image123:

"any landlord can drive out his tenant and put who he wants", that is a fact. If you do not like your tenant for one reason or the other, you get him out and put in another that you think better. What is proper reason for removing a tenant? Many landlords simply say they want to use the place, or they inflate the rent money. What rubbish are you saying that humans don't act like that? God's reason was stated and well implied. The Canaanites were full of iniquity and God judged them and put in new people. He didn't just come, He waited for CENTURIES till their cup of iniquity was full. Their contract expired the first time they sinned, the wages of sin is death remember. Leaving them for centuries is merciful and a chance and possibility for repentance.
Gen 15:16 But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full.
1Ki 21:26 And he did very abominably in following idols, according to all things as did the Amorites, whom the LORD cast out before the children of Israel.

Of course, you will ironically disagree that God created the land, but agree to what you perceive as evil that the Bible records God doing.

I told you that human beings do not act like that, remember God did not drive out the people by telling them to leave but commanded that they should be killed, in some cases they were to be burnt together with their animals. Do landlords kill people? Only psychotic people act that way.

Is captivity, hunger, deprivation right to you? You seem to have a problem to think that God sees them as wrong, so are they right? You did not answer that? What is a good kind of punishment, mention examples you would have employed in the cases you referred to. You did not answer that?

What do you mean by good punishment? Why should a child be punished for the wrong doings of his/her parents? There is no right punishment because the child is innocent and has done nothing wrong. Why should people be killed for worshiping other Gods? What is the right punishment for kids that mocked a prophet, I'll say some lashes will do instead of sending a bear to rip them apart and kill them. I said God encouraged the Jews to tell lies and steal from Egyptians, God told people to carry out rape and genocide, God killed babies for the alleged wrong doing of their parents. Are these good deeds? You should tell me.

i told you specifically and several times that being good is not primarily a function of good deeds. On this same thread, i recall asking at different times if Stalin will be a good person because of good deeds, you all dodged it. See here, here and here. This is the chief reason i have been stressing that good deeds alone do not make anyone good. i just showed you some of God's innumerable good deeds but you skipped them and are asking me about other things. Indirectly, you are saying what i have been saying since the start of thread; there is no human good. While you can reel out the good deeds of your neighbour or friend, i may also be privy to his bad deeds that you do not know. And all humans have them, for all have sinned and come short of God's glory. Being good is not primarily in the doing, it is a quality or nature called holiness. It is unattainable by human strength or good deeds. This is exemplified by the life of Jesus Christ who was declared a beloved Son in whom God was well pleased, right before He even did any of His numerous recorded and popular good deeds. He didn't get good or pleasing to God primarily by going about doing good, or healing the sick, or feeding the poor, or preaching, or sacrificial giving of His life. He was good because of the nature of God in Him, and of course that nature makes one do good deeds.

I said God does good and evil according to the bible. I have shown you many evil deeds that God did in the bible. The bible clearly has God doing evil and apologizing for it, but you try to spin it and say that God wasn't happy for punishing the people. No where did the bible say that, you are the one making it up. It never said God punished the people. The bible said God did evil realized he did evil and apologized for the evil he did. Punishment wasn't mentioned any where in the verse. Here it is once again.

"If ye will still abide in this land, then will I build you, and not pull you down, and I will plant you, and not pluck you up: for I repent me of the evil that I have done unto you.Jeremiah 42:10"
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by Image123(m): 5:23pm On Mar 10, 2015
dalaman:

I told you that human beings do not act like that, remember God did not drive out the people by telling them to leave but commanded that they should be killed, in some cases they were to be burnt together with their animals. Do landlords kill people? Only psychotic people act that way.

God is the Landlord of earth, so where do you think He will drive them to? Outside earth na, the wages/payment/punishment of their sin and of every sin remains death. It is only God's mercy that leaves any sinner alive. Thank God, i have shown you how they had CENTURIES after their iniquities started before judgement was eventually passed. God has ultimate Judge remains the sole giver of life and retains express authority to give and take it.

What do you mean by good punishment? Why should a child be punished for the wrong doings of his/her parents? There is no right punishment because the child is innocent and has done nothing wrong. Why should people be killed for worshiping other Gods? What is the right punishment for kids that mocked a prophet, I'll say some lashes will do instead of sending a bear to rip them apart and kill them. I said God encouraged the Jews to tell lies and steal from Egyptians, God told people to carry out rape and genocide, God killed babies for the alleged wrong doing of their parents. Are these good deeds? You should tell me.

By trying to grab it all at once, you will lose everything and gain nothing i can promise you. God is certainly not on trial here, neither am i on the thread primarily to explain/plead/beg for God's actions. The thread is very clear and easy to stay on point, or you can choose to lose focus and ramble on about what you think of God. It changes nothing.
We were very specifically talking about Jeremiah 42:10 of God punishing the Israelites, and i said punishment is not a good or pleasant thing, and God agrees to it. You do not seem to agree, so do not forget to give us examples of good or pleasant punishment. You mentioned(post 440) "good punishment/good kind of punishment" first, so i asked you what you meant. Now, you are asking me back, lol.

I said God does good and evil according to the bible. I have shown you many evil deeds that God did in the bible. The bible clearly has God doing evil and apologizing for it, but you try to spin it and say that God wasn't happy for punishing the people. No where did the bible say that, you are the one making it up. It never said God punished the people. The bible said God did evil realized he did evil and apologized for the evil he did. Punishment wasn't mentioned any where in the verse. Here it is once again.

"If ye will still abide in this land, then will I build you, and not pull you down, and I will plant you, and not pluck you up: for I repent me of the evil that I have done unto you.Jeremiah 42:10"

Wow, sorry i do not recall you saying that "God does good". That is good to hear/read. There is no spin anywhere, my point is very clear. It is that being good is not determined primarily by deeds but by God. God is the standard, the measure. God determines what is good and what is bad. That is the only sane thing to do. If humans are left to do the job, they do a poor job of it as history and experience proves. Who determines what skin color is good? Humans have tried to determine that where possible. The whites think they are better than the blacks and vice versa, the yorubas think they are better than the hausas and vice versa, the europeans think they are bettr than the asians and vice versa. Who is right? Do we conduct polls to determine this? Who determines the good height? 6ft, 5ft, 4ft, 6.5ft?Who determines, culture? i hope not.
Who determines that it is good or evil for your/my wife to have sexual relationships with your/my friends? Society or culture or feeling? Who determines that it is good or evil for her to have sexual relationships with her children or father? Tradition? Or with animals? i hope these relationships sound disgusting to you, they are to me BTW. But you should be aware that some human beings actually do these and see no evil in it. The point again, remains the need for a STANDARD moral determinant/judge/guide. Being good or evil is not based on feelings or popular opinions, it is based on what God says to be good or evil. What you call evil deed might be someone else's good and fun. Good deeds do not make anyone good, God does. The evil done on the Israelites was punishment for their iniquity, there is no spin to that. It is common Bible knowledge. Jeremiah the prophet and several other prophets prophesied about these punishments when the Israelites sinned. The punishment happened at last in the life time of Jeremiah, when the Israelites were taken into captivity by the Babylonian empire. These are historical and biblical facts. Go and read the bible, it is all there.
Jer 36:31 And I will punish him and his seed and his servants for their iniquity; and I will bring upon them, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and upon the men of Judah, all the evil that I have pronounced against them; but they hearkened not.

When God punished them, then He felt sorry for them and wanted to rebuild and plant them. To be repentant is to be sorry and unhappy, this is normal english in dictionary. You don't even need to be spiritual to see this.
Re: Can You Be Good Without GOD?? by sukkot: 8:35am On Mar 25, 2015
Ishilove:

Obadizzle!! cheesy

You don land Motherland??
not yet oooo. make fayose and gej no come set dem thugs on me na. sai buhariiii cheesy cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Healings At The Lords Chosen Crusade In Warri (Photos) / Pastor Adeboye's Message To The "Amen" Crew On Facebook / Toni Payne Blasts Chris Okotie For Saying "All Catholics Will Go To Hell"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.