Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,707 members, 7,809,689 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:14 PM

Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria (43011 Views)

Ooni Of Ife Storms Rivers 4 Traditional Rulers Day Of Golden Jubilee Celebration / The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria / Masquerade At Burial Of Traditional Ruler. Nnewi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Ninilowo(m): 10:52pm On Feb 17, 2015
What of Sarkin Sambisa? HRH sekau.
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by pazienza(m): 11:15pm On Feb 17, 2015
chymevicks:
16. THE OCHI 1 OF ISUOCHI

A descendant of a European made warrant chief that now claim Eze?
Same warrant chiefs that were willing tools at the hands of Europeans in destroying our traditional institutions and those that stood against the European ways, but are now claiming to be the custodians of our traditional institutions, what a bunch of jokers!

Was there ever a monarch in Isuochi before the coming of the whites? I don't think so. The people were and remain republican.
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by pazienza(m): 11:20pm On Feb 17, 2015
InvertedHammer:

/
Typical Nigerians, they b1tched and whined that Alaafin deserved better treatment.

But then, who cares?!
\

Every reasonable African should care.
The Queen receives noble welcome and treatment when she visits Africa, but an African king got treated ill in Europe,and you are asking who cares?
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by pazienza(m): 11:36pm On Feb 17, 2015
osifred:
The oba of ogbaland it the oldest serving first class chief in the whole of Nigeria having been on his throne for 53years and counting.

Oba of Ogbaland is actually the latest chief in the whole of Nigeria, seeing that his title "Oba" is an aberration and as fake as they come.

The Eze of Ogbaland, now that's an older title,but like other Ezes around is also a recent development, as the ancient Ogba clan was republican like most of other Igbo speaking clans.
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Uncletony(m): 11:37pm On Feb 17, 2015
u mean ''SATAN'' of sokoto?
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by InvertedHammer: 11:58pm On Feb 17, 2015
pazienza:

Every reasonable African should care.
The Queen receives noble welcome and treatment when she visits Africa, but an African king got treated ill in Europe,and you are asking who cares?
/
Then boycott the Queen.

Tit for tat. And if you can't do that, not my problem.

\
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by pazienza(m): 12:02am On Feb 18, 2015
InvertedHammer:

/
Then boycott the Queen.

Tit for tat. And if you can't do that, not my problem.

\

If only Africa was truly independent with independent leaders, the Queen deserves a worst treatment whenever she visits Africa.
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by boma95(f): 12:48am On Feb 18, 2015
Incomplete . .. whrs the amayanabo of kalabari sad
Mtcheeew. ....
I hate ds cry
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by wales1881: 2:07am On Feb 18, 2015
My friend u have no detailed information. how can u exclude the great emir of Kano, The Obong of Calabar or the Awujale of Ijebu land?
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by victorD3: 2:23am On Feb 18, 2015
The dislike for education among northern Nigerians didn't start today, read the educational qualifications of these monarchs.
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Emeka71(m): 6:01am On Feb 18, 2015
Chuksgeo:
The IGBOs are republicans, just like the Romans. The thing na turn by turn
In Ibo culture, the 1st son ascends the throne after the death of the father (king).
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by jingh(f): 6:19am On Feb 18, 2015
Lols
NovusHomo:

The OLUIGBO of Sambisa. grin
Oko iya PDP. grin grin
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Jenkizo: 7:11am On Feb 18, 2015
Ops, your list is skewed and bias. You forgot the traditional leaders are lined up. Here is the full list; 1. Sultan of Sokoto. 2. Emir of Kano. 3. Alaafin of Oyo. 4. Oni of Ife 5.Oba of Lagos. 6. Oba of Benin kingdom. 7. Emir of Zauzau. 8. Shehu of Borno. 9. Atta of Igala. 10. Tortiv of Tiv Nation. 11. Etsu Nupe. 12. Ochi Idoma. 13. Obi of Onitsha. 14. Olu of Warri. 15. Bong gwon Jos
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by legacyint: 8:40am On Feb 18, 2015
Sijo01:

Omo N' oba N'edo ghato okpere, Iseeeee
Aghaso oo edo edo odion,edo ghaso ghomwan edo odion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Abbey2sam(m): 9:20am On Feb 18, 2015
AreaFada2:

I wonder.

A list without Olowo of Owo in top 10 is a joke.

who's he ??

you should include him and let people know about him since the op didn't recognise him

in no particular order, the op said

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by fejikudz(m): 10:31am On Feb 18, 2015
nice list, but op its olu of itshekiri not olu of warri becos warri is made up of many tribes like uhrobo,isoko,ijaw..

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:50am On Feb 18, 2015
Where is Eze Chidubem Okoro cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin undecided
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Sijo01(f): 10:56am On Feb 18, 2015
legacyint:
Aghaso oo edo edo odion,edo ghaso ghomwan edo odion.

Omo'eukin......ovbioba kpataki.
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by VolturiLord: 11:30am On Feb 18, 2015
Jenkizo:
Ops, your list is skewed and bias. You forgot the traditional leaders are lined up. Here is the full list; 1. Sultan of Sokoto. 2. Emir of Kano. 3. Alaafin of Oyo. 4. Oni of Ife 5.Oba of Lagos. 6. Oba of Benin kingdom. 7. Emir of Zauzau. 8. Shehu of Borno. 9. Atta of Igala. 10. Tortiv of Tiv Nation. 11. Etsu Nupe. 12. Ochi Idoma. 13. Obi of Onitsha. 14. Olu of Warri. 15. Bong gwon Jos

Putting the Oba of Lagos before the Oba of Benin is not only unreasonable in the current state of things but also historically inaccurate as al and sundry know that the Kingdom of Lagos, or Eko as it was name by the Benins paid and still pay tribute to the Throne of the Ancient Benin Kingdom as they were conquered during the legendary military exploits of Oba Ewuare the Great. i will not attempt to comment on the supremacy of the Alaafin of Oyo over the Ooni of Ife or Vice versa or even the that of the Oba of Benin over the Yoruba Rulers as this is sure to create unwarranted Wahala

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:03pm On Feb 18, 2015
Jenkizo:

You didn't read my write up now did you? If you did, did you see the boldened IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER?
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by AreaFada2: 12:05pm On Feb 18, 2015
Abbey2sam:

who's he ??

you should include him and let people know about him since the op didn't recognise him

in no particular order, the op said

He wasn't even mentioned at all in the List. The Olowo is the most influential Oba in Eastern part of Yoruba land, situated exactly half-way between Benin Kingdom & Ife Kingdom. Politically, the Action Group was launched at the Palace of Olowo by Pa Awo, the largest Royal palace in Nigeria.

OLOWO of OWO.
Folagbade Olateru Olagbegi III (CFR, SAN).
Born, 1942) is the traditional ruler of Owo (Olowo of Owo), Ondo state, Nigeria. He is the eldest son of the late Olowo of owo, Sir Olateru Olagbegi (1910–1998). He succeeded is father as the Olowo of Owo in 1999 but was given the staff of office as the Olowo of Owo on December 11, 2003 by late Olusegun Agagu, former executive governor of ondo state, Nigeria. He celebrated 15th coronation anniversary in 2014.
Oba Folagbade Olateru olagbegi was born into the ruling family in Owo. He is the eldest son of the late Olowo of Owo, Sir Titus Olateru Olagbegi II. He received his first degree in law from London, UK and attended Nigeria Law school, in 1968. He rose to the peak of his career as a Senior Advocate of Nigeria.

Folagbade obtained a bachelor degree in Law from London, Uk. He later returned to Nigeria to practice Law under the late Fatai Williams. He was a lecturer in Nigeria law school, where he retired as a reader in 1991 and now a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN). He was appointed as Chancellor of University of Benin (Nigeria) in 2005 and now a chancellor in University of Abuja, a federal university in the federal capital territory Nigeria. Folagbade was the former chairman of the Ondo state council of Oba.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Wulfruna(f): 12:54pm On Feb 18, 2015
Knuckleheads be shouting: Where is Ataoja of Oshogbo, where is Soun of Ogbomosho, why is Alaafin listed before the Ooni of Ife?

Op clearly said list is incomplete, add yours... in no particular order

And we wonder why Nigerians keep flunking WAEC.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:34pm On Feb 18, 2015
AnnieAnnie:
Why on earth shod you forget

THE OBONG OF CALABAR

THE BONG GWOM JOS

And THE KING OF MY HEART 'Aniekan'

As a correct Jos girl, I wondered same
My eyes kept skimming over the text looking for Gbong Gwom Jos
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by pokyes(m): 3:15pm On Feb 18, 2015
Koroaso:
"EBORA OWU"

Place who is this Obasanjo
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by tobatele(m): 6:03pm On Feb 18, 2015
Where is Oketedomole? I mean where is His Royal Majesty, Oba David Victor Folagbade Olateru Olagbegi. The Olowo of Owo Kingdom
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by ArcToyin(m): 10:24am On Feb 20, 2015
tolexy007:
@OP, u are high on expire weed, where is Deji of Akure and Osemawe of Ondo Kingdom
& Olugbo of Ugboland
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:28pm On Feb 20, 2015
Emeka71:
In Ibo culture, the 1st son ascends the throne after the death of the father (king).

You are probably speaking for ur own town and not for all 'Ibos'.
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Emeka71(m): 12:47pm On Feb 20, 2015
Radoillo:

You are probably speaking for ur own town and not for all 'Ibos'.
Yes My town is an example.
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:25pm On Feb 20, 2015
ArcToyin=30907831:

& Olugbo of Ugboland

So you and tolexy007 cannot read abi? Why must you piss people ooff just because you can't understand instructions.?
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by ArcToyin(m): 5:35pm On Feb 20, 2015
literarymathy:

So you and tolexy007 cannot read abi? Why must you piss people ooff just because you can't understand instructions.?
how do you mean? Whatever i have commented has no power to dent ur post.i sincerely appreciate your post. Educative.
Re: Nairaland's Compedium Of Traditional Rulers In Nigeria by tolexy007(m): 5:42pm On Feb 20, 2015
ArcToyin:

how do you mean? Whatever i have commented has no power to dent ur post.i sincerely appreciate your post. Educative.
wot is dis one saying?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo Welcomes Twins (photos) / The Ugly Guinness Book Of Record Trend / The Beauty Of Our Culture (ijaw , Urhobo, Itsekiri)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.