Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,745 members, 7,820,572 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:20 PM

My Camry 2008 A/c - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Camry 2008 A/c (13068 Views)

My Camry Consumes Fuel / Closed / Has My Camry 2007 Engine Finally Knocked? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Camry 2008 A/c by Piyke: 10:30am On Feb 27, 2015
lomomike:

The case tire me. This is one reason I get fed up. How can an educated person allow mechanics who aren't learned to confuse him/her?
Even with the advent of cheaper obd ii devices and internet based automotive materials, people still stick to the words of their mechanic over the learned engineers who designed and manufactured their cars and also folks who have learnt one or two things about their cars.

I'm really taken aback.

abatically:

True talk. My younger brother drives a 2001 Honda accord baby boy. For the past 2 months the car has been a nightmare. It rough idles and vibrates vigorously at cold start and u need to put ur foot on the accelerator when starting it in the morning. In fact when u pack the car for 2 hours it would be a nightmare to start because the idle was terrible. It normalizes after about 15 minutes of driving but in traffic it becomes a nightmare.
He lives in Ogun state, he has changed virtually everything from fuel pump to nuzzles (actually a 1992 Honda accord nuzzle was used), spark plugs, changed ro double cell radiator, removed thermostat, ran cooling fan directly... The car was heavily abused by the mechanics in his neighborhood. He decided to bring it to Lagos and we started troubleshooting.
First I installed a thermostat, returned the can to factory settings, changed ECT. The car became a lot better and he was surprised at how the car worked well with fans coming up only when temperature has reached optimum temperature, it was like the car was working with less stress and he confirmed the mpg was a lot better.
But then the rough idle and vibration at cold start persisted. I scanned again and found iacv code. He brought the car back to Lagos 2 days ago, we replaced idle air control valve after cleaning the old one and no result. It was really a tough job finding the culprit but finally we found it. Alas, the stupid mechanic that worked on the car used pure water nylon to block the air passage into the iacv. I mean what maniac would do that? He must have done that when the iacv went bad but because he doesn't understand the system, he decided to convert it to manual. Does he think thid is a cab engine? Hence, the iacv was not sensing anything which affected the idling. We removed the nylon and the installed the new iacv and voila everything went to normal. My brother was wowed and told me its been more than 2 months he saw that car work the way it does now.

These sum up why I started DIYing on my car. Some mechanics just feel wiser than learned design, automobile engineers etc. Nobody should listen to such, get to the root of the matter and get it solved. Simple! no funny join-join work angry angry
Re: My Camry 2008 A/c by DSTTOOLZGUY(m): 4:04pm On Feb 27, 2015
@Lomomike

Like i said earlier in my first post, i know too well than to follow that advise. Would seriously appreciate your input if you can.

Gazzuzz.....where art thou ?? Help a brother !!!!
Re: My Camry 2008 A/c by tkaymuo(m): 8:49am On Mar 02, 2015
thanks, I work around Allen Avenue ikeja , I will be glad sir

I don't know much about Toyota's, but any mechanic should be able to reverse it. Just look for the fan switch that is disconnected, u will see a little wire used to bridge the connection. Remove the wire and connect the switch to its right place. Then replace thermostat. But ur ect sensor must be working for this to go well. A simple scan will detect if there's s problem with ect. Also it is adviced to use coolant in radiator instead of water.

If u live around ikeja/ogba I can refer u to someone they would do this for u.[/quote]
Re: My Camry 2008 A/c by tkaymuo(m): 9:08am On Mar 02, 2015
abatically:

I don't know much about Toyota's, but any mechanic should be able to reverse it. Just look for the fan switch that is disconnected, u will see a little wire used to bridge the connection. Remove the wire and connect the switch to its right place. Then replace thermostat. But ur ect sensor must be working for this to go well. A simple scan will detect if there's s problem with ect. Also it is adviced to use coolant in radiator instead of water.

If u live around ikeja/ogba I can refer u to someone they would do this for u.

I work in Ikeja Allen avenue area, thanks sir for your help
I think my ect is working well too.. because I scaned the car about 2 weeks ago and that code didn't come up
Re: My Camry 2008 A/c by abatically(m): 11:01am On Mar 02, 2015
tkaymuo:

I work in Ikeja Allen avenue area, thanks sir for your help
I think my ect is working well too.. because I scaned the car about 2 weeks ago and that code didn't come up

Re: My Camry 2008 A/c by tkaymuo(m): 11:02am On Mar 02, 2015
abatically:

please sir can u send ur personal number number. I want to ask something from you pls
Re: My Camry 2008 A/c by abatically(m): 11:04am On Mar 02, 2015
tkaymuo:

is this your number?

Nope, my mech's. My number is 07065121042
Re: My Camry 2008 A/c by tkaymuo(m): 11:23am On Mar 02, 2015
abatically:

Nope, my mech's. My number is 07065121042
thanks bro, I rily appreciate
am waiting for the other guys number u promised
Re: My Camry 2008 A/c by kollysnut(m): 2:49pm On Mar 04, 2015
tkaymuo:

please can you help me with the phone number of the rewire guy that worked for you ? I drive the same type of car and my ac isn't sound

08020553344 taiye
Re: My Camry 2008 A/c by mikesleek(m): 9:12pm On Oct 18, 2015
These same ladipo boys that wrecked my Accord 2010. In the name of fixing AC they knocked my engine. My car will never go 10 foot of that location. EVER! OBD scan plus internet diagnostics will save you a whole lot. I scan my car when it has an issue, do my research online and tell the mechanic what to do. If you no gree do am, close my bonnet for me. Its not by force

5 Likes

Re: My Camry 2008 A/c by Ashiru(m): 3:40pm On Feb 03, 2017
I am at it again! The last time I had issue with my Toyota Camry 2008 XLE, their are different opinion of what really happen to the A/C, whether I should change the compressor to manual or maintain the follow come. After much deliberation, I finally replaced the compressor with the automatics compressor which i ordered from abroad. Now, after a year plus, the automatics compressor is bad again. My mechanics is advising me to change it to manual, but I am not too convinced with his opinion, Pls I need advice from the house from anyone with such experience. Its really hot hear in PH and honestly it been difficult driving the without AC. Thanks
Re: My Camry 2008 A/c by earthrealm(m): 6:52pm On Feb 03, 2017
Ashiru:
I am at it again! The last time I had issue with my Toyota Camry 2008 XLE, their are different opinion of what really happen to the A/C, whether I should change the compressor to manual or maintain the follow come. After much deliberation, I finally replaced the compressor with the automatics compressor which i ordered from abroad. Now, after a year plus, the automatics compressor is bad again. My mechanics is advising me to change it to manual, but I am not too convinced with his opinion, Pls I need advice from the house from anyone with such experience. Its really hot hear in PH and honestly it been difficult driving the without AC. Thanks

how did ur old compressor go bad?..
if it failed while in service..it usually produces small metal shavings/particles which continue to remain in the system. so once u have a failed compressor, u need to replace the condenser...no shortcuts..no blowing or trying to clean it.

cos if u dont..when u install a new compressor, theose metal particles still in the system will come and spoil the new compressor, its a vicious cycle.change the condenser..n dryer!

seems ur ac mech is hell bent on converting to manual, go far away from him...find another mechanic...chikena.
some of them are quite heartless and will willfully make ur ac system to fail..especially if u didnt heed their advice...so they can tell u...I TOLD U SO, U NO HEAR
Re: My Camry 2008 A/c by Nobody: 10:51pm On Feb 05, 2017
Please I need help, my camry 2007 le compressor stopped working last month and decided to change it after couple of days when I couldnt deal either the heat around anymore.

When I finally met with the guy I insisted on automatic compressor and he said no I should opt for manual compressor after going different places and hearing the same i finally settled for the manual because I couldn't afford to buy automatic for 85k (which by the way is how much it costs now at least in Ondo state) and then it get spoilt in a month or 2...wish i wasn't away from Lag at the moment...

Now it's been almost 2 weeks since it was fixed and my car is rmp drops WAY below normal and sometimes it drops to a point where all electrical system restart even the dashboard lights, and the car vibrate like crazy, it has bad engine mount that I have been planning on changing before now, so you all can imagine how bad the vibration will be... this is scary for me and I don't turn on the a/c anymore...

I just want to return the manual compressor and get am automatic and pray it don't end up faulty... the thing is I was told there is no where I can get a good guaranteed automatic compressor, which is why they all keep recommending manual...

Now my question is anyone with success on getting a new automatic compressor that works just fine? Please I need help! I am tired of the car already with the crazy vibration

PLEASE HELP!!!
Re: My Camry 2008 A/c by faith2ogesco(m): 7:48am On Apr 04, 2019
hi guys please am having issues with my A.C. the light just suddenly started blinking. if i put it on when the car is idle, it can stall to engine to stopping at times. when looking under the hood, i found out the compressor is seizing. hence as its trying to stall the system, the system disengages it. two mechanics say its a manual compressor. one said its a manual compressor with sensor that my car has (toyota camry 2009 xle v6). i find that hard to believe unless the compressor has been changed before.

my OBD doesnt bring up any issues when i scan. both mechanics say the compressor is gone tho. that i have to change it, possibly the condenser, check for leaks, flush etc. i had changed the relay at first thinking that eas the issue but it didnt work. my question now is how do i know if the compressor in my car is manual or automatic
Re: My Camry 2008 A/c by funkymeky: 1:09pm On Mar 19, 2020
Please i am having the same issue with my lexus. Have you managed to fix the situation?
Ashiru:
Re: My Camry 2008 A/c by DAutoDiagnosis: 2:37pm On Mar 19, 2020
Bro I was in ur situation b4 Ladipo professors came to my rescue. What is wrong with your car is aa faulty AC compressor. I drive a camry 2007 SE. It has an automatic compressor which get faulty easily. It has an O2 sensor. I simply changed mine to a manual compressor and it blows ice cold! I cleaned out my condenser too. Itss fab. At a point I was scared. I bought the replica auto compressor and can u believe it spoilt aafter 10mins? So I decided to buy manual. Pls buy manual. It cost me 35k. Everytin sha I spent 45k. I am so happy with my muscle. The car only vibrates slightly when the compressor picks dats all. Now my babes are happy cos even though the lagos sun dey hammer, my interior is as cool as a freezer! Bawse!!

grin

You meant to say pressure sensor.

grin Your babes, na dem go finish your moto Las las

(1) (2) (Reply)

Police Launch An Online Portal For Reporting Stolen Vehicles / Is This Engine Oil Good To Service My Corolla / Nigeria Women Cant Drive!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.