Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,990 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) (2706 Views)

13 Hilarious Differences Between Men And Women With Pictures / PHOTO: Masquerade Withdrawing Money From ATM Machine In Shagamu / Photo: How Men And Women See Themselves (hilarious) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by DickDastardly(m): 8:20pm On Feb 17, 2015
The Igbos are renowned for their music/dancing style coupled with their exceptional colourful masquerades (Mmanwu).
 It is generally believed in Igboland that Masquerades are the spirits of dead ancestors called up through series of rituals and incantations. According to popular myth, masquerades represent incarnated ancestral spirits visiting their descendants on earth to entertain, give guidance and exorcise evil spirits. 
The Igbo masquerades are traditional performances carried out by exclusive secret groups within a Community. These exclusive groups consist of adult males and each member must be initiated into the group with their identity known only to their fellow members. 
The process of initiation or "Iba Mmanwu" in Igbo parlance differs from town to town but one central theme is that the initiates who are usually males of a certain age limit are made to undergo cleansing and rigorous "blending and mending" of which the process involved will not be elaborated here.
After the initiation, the men are subjected to an oath of secrecy since they are not allowed to disclose to anyone especially women, the mystery surrounding the "Mmanwu Cult". Failing to keep this secret though has its consequences which is clearly spelt out and includes mysterious illness or death. 
The main feature of an Igbo masquerade is their brutality (whipping) and Unique dancing style which is quite entertaining and spell binding not forgetting their aura which sends chills down the spines of non-initiates. Some names of great masquerades in Igbo land include Agaba, okwo mma, Ijele, Izaga, iga atani, Odogwu anya mmee etc.
Legend has it that masquerades where used as law enforcement agents to instill order and implement policies during the olden days of which the practice is still existence in most if not all parts of Igbo land till date.

So are you an initiate? If yes thread is for you.

Caution: Please, women should not comment and should read thread with one eye closed. Pregnant women and male non initiates should avoid thread.

1 Share

Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by DickDastardly(m): 8:21pm On Feb 17, 2015
Ok
Women and male non initiates can share their close encounters with masquerades cool
Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by Nobody: 8:24pm On Feb 17, 2015
DickDastardly:
Ok
Women and male non initiates can share their close encounters with masquerades cool

Can I show temple run, osogbo where the masquerade pursued some folks? grin

By the way, how's our daughter?

Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by bigFOOTcaveMAN(m): 8:25pm On Feb 17, 2015
When men were men! cool
Cortana subscribing........
Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by DickDastardly(m): 8:28pm On Feb 17, 2015
lomomike:

Can I show temple run, osogbo where the masquerade pursued some folk? grin

By the way, how's our daughter?
Lets have it then.

She is cool cool
Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by Nairalander01: 8:32pm On Feb 17, 2015
When I was much my parents left me with my paternal grand parents in the village and one day the old man (my grand father) called me and told me in clear terms that I was of age and must be initiated in to the masqurade cult and vehemtly refused and he said to me that until I accept to be initiated that I should never look at him in the eye while talking to him. I gave him great gap.
When I told my dad about it he simply laughed and told me that he himself was never initiated. grin
Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by DickDastardly(m): 8:32pm On Feb 17, 2015
I forgot to tell you that guys used Masquerades to settle girls friend zone 4k ups then grin
Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by DickDastardly(m): 8:33pm On Feb 17, 2015
Nairalander01:
When I was much my parents left me with my paternal grand parents in the village and one day the old man (my grand father) called me and told me in clear terms that I was of age and must be initiated in to the masqurade cult and vehemtly refused and he said to me that until I accept to be initiated that I should never look at him in the eye while talking to him. I gave him
So did you later blend? cool
Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by CORTANA: 8:36pm On Feb 17, 2015
DickDastardly:
I forgot to tell you that guys used Masquerades to settle girls friend zone 4k ups then grin
This part na im sweet pass. Who born girl wey go reject my advances those days. Na to wait for her for bad junction use cain give her better tatoo. tongue
Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by DickDastardly(m): 8:41pm On Feb 17, 2015
CORTANA:

This part na im sweet pass. Who born girl wey go reject my advances those days. Na to wait for her for bad junction use cain give her better tatoo. tongue
Badt guy! cheesy
Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by Nairalander01: 8:42pm On Feb 17, 2015
DickDastardly:

So did you later blend? cool

never did!!!
Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by DickDastardly(m): 8:44pm On Feb 17, 2015
Nairalander01:

never did!!!
Na fear? cheesy grin
Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by Nairalander01: 8:48pm On Feb 17, 2015
DickDastardly:

Na fear? cheesy grin
cant say...may be na fear mixed with my personal belief(s). cool
Bia I wan Know how them take dey do that thing sef...care to share cheesy wink
Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by cirmuell(m): 8:53pm On Feb 17, 2015
DickDastardly:
Ok
wait, your topic says they should keep off now you want their opinion? U dey contradict urself
Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by DickDastardly(m): 8:59pm On Feb 17, 2015
Nairalander01:

cant say...may be na fear mixed with my personal belief(s). cool
Bia I wan Know how them take dey do that thing sef...care to share cheesy wink
Read the original post again. I cant divulge the main ones, but i will share just two with you.

(1) Boiling and eating the spirit yam
Ingredients: yam with equal measure of fresh pepper without palm oil. You are expected fetch fire wood, then boil the yam filled with so much pepper while being flogged mercilessly by many masquerades. When the yam is half done, you then start feeding with bare hands directly from the hot boiling pot till its finished. Ofcourse this takes place midnight and their will be other youngsters sharing this deadly supper with you grin

(2) Anthill bedrest.
This comes after you must have finished the pepper filled pirit yam. Then palm oil is rubbed over your naked body and you are made to lie down on the ant hill. The smell of the palm oil attracts the soldier ants which attacks your bruised body in their thousands. wink

Note: This is just the tip of the iceberg. cool
Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by DickDastardly(m): 9:01pm On Feb 17, 2015
So where are the men here angry sad

Or is Nairaland filled with gals masquerading as real men. grin

1 Like

Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by DickDastardly(m): 9:04pm On Feb 17, 2015
cirmuell:
wait, your topic says they should keep off now you want their opinion? U dey contradict urself
If you no belong, abeg no venture comment for thread again o! For your safety cheesy tongue
Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by Nobody: 9:04pm On Feb 17, 2015
Dickdastardly are you igbo?
Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by Nairalander01: 9:06pm On Feb 17, 2015
DickDastardly:

Read the original post again. I cant divulge the main ones, but i will share just two with you.

(1) Boiling and eating the spirit yam
Ingredients: yam with equal measure of fresh pepper without palm oil. You are expected fetch fire wood, then boil the yam filled with so much pepper while being flogged mercilessly by many masquerades. When the yam is half done, you then start feeding with bare hands directly from the hot boiling pot till its finished. Ofcourse this takes place midnight and their will be other youngsters sharing this deadly supper with you grin

(2) Anthill bedrest.
This comes after you must have finished the pepper filled pirit yam. Then palm oil is rubbed over your naked body and you are made to lie down on the ant hill. The smell of the palm oil attracts the soldier ants which attacks your bruised body in their thousands. wink

Note: This is just the tip of the iceberg. cool
lol at tip of the iceberg and that spirit yam, cant imagine myself eating very hot pepperish yam plus the ants will mercilessly temper with you
Thank God I never passed through this. shocked grin
Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by DickDastardly(m): 9:06pm On Feb 17, 2015
krall:
Dickdastardly are you igbo?
Yes o! Full blooded!
And you? cool
Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by Nobody: 9:08pm On Feb 17, 2015
DickDastardly:

Yes o! Full blooded!
And you? cool
yes!
Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by DickDastardly(m): 9:08pm On Feb 17, 2015
Nairalander01:

lol at tip of the iceberg and that spirit yam, cant imagine myself eating very hot pepperish yam plus the ants will mercilessly temper with you
Thank God I never passed through this. shocked grin

You missed a lot cos thats the sweet adventurous aspect of it. The gods are very wise cool
Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by DickDastardly(m): 9:09pm On Feb 17, 2015
krall:
yes!
So, are you an initiate. U belong? cool
Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by remsonik(f): 9:11pm On Feb 17, 2015
Nonsense. See the kind suffer una go suffer just to join masquerade cult. Op I don comment o and the powers that works in me has subdued the masquerade spirit in you therefore I declare this thread open and free for all females to read and comment!

1 Like

Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by Nobody: 9:12pm On Feb 17, 2015
DickDastardly:

So, are you an initiate. U belong? cool
Nope my father never allowed me to engage in such dangerous act especially when my cousin who I was meant to be an initiate with then was later murdered.
Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by DickDastardly(m): 9:13pm On Feb 17, 2015
remsonik:
Nonsense. See the kind suffer una go suffer just to join masquerade cult. Op I don comment o and the powers that works in me has subdued the masquerade spirit in you therefore I declare this thread open and free for all females to read and comment!
No make me vex come conjure one bad masquerade enter where you dey dey type this thrash o!
To cry na im just dey hungry you tongue
Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by DickDastardly(m): 9:14pm On Feb 17, 2015
krall:
Nope my father never allowed me to engage in such dangerous act especially when my cousin who I was meant to be an initiate with then was later murdered.
Wow. Too bad.
Well its all good, but you really missed that passage rite into manhood tongue
Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by DickDastardly(m): 9:17pm On Feb 17, 2015
Seun, lalasticlala, ishilove, obinoscopy take me to front page so i can have a date with my co initiates cool
Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by remsonik(f): 9:24pm On Feb 17, 2015
DickDastardly:

No make me vex come conjure one bad masquerade enter where you dey dey type this thrash o!
To cry na im just dey hungry you tongue
Lai lai you no fit try am. What lives in me is greater than what is of the world. I won't cry it's you who will cry. The host of heaven will send your masquerades back upon your household. Mtcheeewwwww
Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by cirmuell(m): 10:39pm On Feb 17, 2015
DickDastardly:

If you no belong, abeg no venture comment for thread again o! For your safety cheesy tongue
undecided lol u go carry masquerade cum my house abi wetin. tongue
Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by freecocoa(f): 10:49pm On Feb 17, 2015
Seriously? In this age and time? Grown men talking masquerades? This is serious. shocked

1 Like

Re: Thread For Masquerade Initiates: Non Initiates And Women Keep Off!(photo) by Justeenaleo(f): 8:13am On Feb 19, 2015
Used to crush on the one called iku udo

(1) (Reply)

JAMB UTME 2018 Reprint Of Photocard Begins / Which Country Can The Most Beautiful Women Be Found? / How Much Is A Cup Of Rice Sale In Your Area?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.