Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,858 members, 7,956,236 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 08:16 AM

How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" (29678 Views)

Best Answer To The Interview Question - Why Hire You? / 'how To Answer The Question, "How Much Do We Pay You?"' / 5 Ways To Answer The Interview Question, "Why Do You Want To Work Here?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by Nobody: 7:33pm On Feb 19, 2015
like someone said, put your question in prayer, God will answer you.
Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by drix128: 7:34pm On Feb 19, 2015
Ooooh! Make person come help us answer this question na. I just dey scroll up n down the thread biko
Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by Horlawoomey(m): 7:35pm On Feb 19, 2015
You can answer thus: I am looking for an opportunity to get involved with more challenging duties thereby helping myself realise my career goals and I see this company as a place to be in that regards"

My opinion though

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by princealbashir: 7:36pm On Feb 19, 2015
Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by joanana(f): 7:38pm On Feb 19, 2015
relocation is a reason
Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by slap1(m): 7:41pm On Feb 19, 2015
donnypool:

your current, job has no career opportunity, that is, you are not sure of advancing to the next stage. you are most likely to remain in the same position till you get old and that is not what you are looking for. But you are there because of the experience and you believe you are mature enough to move forward.

I have an interview with a TD canada trust bank. wish me goodluck
Good luck! God will do it!
Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by kcjazz(m): 7:42pm On Feb 19, 2015
Always be positive.

You can answer, I have enjoyed (or is been great) working with my current company but this opportunity interests me and aligns with the next step in my career plan. (Have a plan o, incase the snoopy interviewer asks grin). Then add what makes this new company great like if its for Guinness eg, I have a great interest in Orijin it is a fascinating product bla bla bla and I would love to be part of this team. In Lagos, it could even be traffic issues like I live in Mowe and commute to Ogombo plus 2 toll gates

Never ever say...
My other job sucks.
My manager is a wicked somebody
They dont appreciate their staff
My village witches know their address
Incase of Guiness, dont say I need small stout discounts tongue Be wise

1 Like

Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by betrani(m): 7:48pm On Feb 19, 2015
Probably because you want job satisfaction! A rewarding opportunity and most fulfilling offer!

2 Likes

Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by afolwalex20(m): 7:59pm On Feb 19, 2015
Simply put...
(The new job) is my dream job.. or I've always dreamed of working here.. or d former job isn't worth the stress..
Sefini
Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by masqot(m): 8:03pm On Feb 19, 2015
Try as much as possible to know what the company does and the job demands. Hinge your answer on this. You believe the potential job and the company will afford you an opportunity to build a career which the current job does not offer.
Confidence and self-assurance matter at this point. Good Luck
Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by mmmurctiff(m): 8:03pm On Feb 19, 2015
I once told my interviewer that: 'One does not stay on a spot to watch masquerade, he'll need to move around to get a better view'.

He just laughed and approved me for the next stage of the interview.

The question no get 'formal/official' answer.
Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by xabi148(m): 8:04pm On Feb 19, 2015
I want to change my job so I can get close to d new hot lady in my neighbourhood she works there too
Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by Toby30(m): 8:05pm On Feb 19, 2015
Olalan:
I want to ask what appropriate answers that can be provided when asked about the reason for wanting to leave your current employer to join a new organization. Twice I have been asked and I realise my responses were not really convincing.

First of all, give dem this Lamba dt one do not only derive joy from the salary earned,

but from the kinda relationship that exist in the work place or from the nature of the job or

the work environment.

So from there u can simply jst tell them that u were such kinda person that derives joy in what u do

bt that it wasn't just coming for u in ur previous place of work
Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by Toby30(m): 8:05pm On Feb 19, 2015
Toby30:

First of all, give dem this Lamba dt one do not only derive joy from the salary earned,

but from the kinda relationship that exist in the work place or from the nature of the job or

the work environment.

So from there u can simply jst tell them that u were such kinda person that derives joy in what u do

bt that it wasn't just coming for u in ur previous place of work

It myt not be a lamba afterall
Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by smudge2079(m): 8:13pm On Feb 19, 2015
What is d meaning of COY?
makazona:
u may say "cz u need a challenging environment that will bring the best in u or "cz d goals of d coy aligns with my aspiration" so its like a perfect blend
i.e you and ur skills + the coys goals/visions.

my idea sha
Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by Sijo01(f): 8:14pm On Feb 19, 2015
You can reply by saying because you want a more challenging job.
Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by Akinz0126(m): 8:20pm On Feb 19, 2015
Our reasons for having to change our current Jobs differs and its varies.It may be as a result of the payment probably meagre,Or may be the Job is time demanding 247 You are busy but guilty,probably you are dew for promotion and while others were experiencing this positive change,you were neglected,Or probably as a spouse you trying to relocate to were you can stay together with your partner,probably you are in need of a Job that'll bring out the best in you ie where you'll contribute your own quota to the statu quo,Probably your qualification is no more compactable with ur current Job and as a result you trying to gain placement into a white cooler Job to mention but afew.

1 Like

Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by Alichigozie: 8:23pm On Feb 19, 2015
lordprosh:
u can reply by saying u ar not given all chances to impact posively

what chances if i may ask u.
Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by dammytosh: 8:27pm On Feb 19, 2015
Olalan:
I want to ask what appropriate answers that can be provided when asked about the reason for wanting to leave your current employer to join a new organization. Twice I have been asked and I realise my responses were not really convincing.

Why do you want to change job ?
I did not plan to change job because I don't really have any reason to. Although i will appreciate a new challenge and a new work environment if opportuned to.

The next question will be

Why are you here ?

I was invited and feel I should honour the invitation.

The gist is that , never complain about your current place of work or current job for any reason at all and don't blame them for anything that happened to you.
Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by Cutehector(m): 8:27pm On Feb 19, 2015
Just tell dem u relocated. Or like being versatile and tryn to expand ur expertise
Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by hardbody: 8:29pm On Feb 19, 2015
konny1:
1. I need new challenges or I'm not intellectually challenged and no platform for questions or questioning in my current job.
Or I need a room for improvement in my career.

This question will always come up in every interview session. There are basically two reasons to give. One, tell your interviewer that you are seeking for higher challenges and an improved welfare package. No one faults those reasons. I have attended several high level interviews and no one ever controverted those reasons.

1 Like

Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by Olalan(m): 8:38pm On Feb 19, 2015
Thanks a lot to all for the educative responses. I told them I wanted a change of job for a much more challenging role, but they would not take that as a answer. I seek for a new job because I want a place that has a prospect for career growth.
Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by Solozzo(m): 8:42pm On Feb 19, 2015
There is no fixed answer you can give. You know why you wish to change job to work with this company or service. All you have to do is to use common sense to put things in a language that ;

1. Gives the interviewers the idea that you are honest and reasonable
2. That you like the company, eager to work and make progress
3. That you are not leaving because of bad issues with your current workplace;
4. Do not cast aspersions on your current place of work.

If you are leaving to a smaller company in a rural setting that offered a higher post and bigger pay: the current company is the opposite with less pay , lower post and in the city. Then you may state that;

1. This change will enable practice you more independently, utilizing skills from your current job
2..would enable you tonimprove your economic situation, reduce transport cost and live a more sedentary lifestyle
..and your family and u prefer rural lifestyle.
Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by KingBish(f): 8:42pm On Feb 19, 2015
Simply tell them that your "take home" at the end of every month at your previous workplace could not take you home
Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by konny1(m): 8:43pm On Feb 19, 2015
I
hardbody:

This question will always come up in every interview session. There are basically two reasons to give. One, tell your interviewer that you are seeking for higher challenges and an improved welfare package. No one faults those reasons. I have attended several high level interviews and no one ever controverted those reasons.
Nice, thanks
Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by KingBish(f): 8:48pm On Feb 19, 2015
dammytosh:

Why do you want to change job ?
I did not plan to change job because I don't really have any reason to. Although i will appreciate a new challenge and a new work environment if opportuned to.

The next question will be

Why are you here ?

I was invited and feel I should honour the invitation.

The gist is that , never complain about your current place of work or current job for any reason at all and don't blame them for anything that happened to you.

You're invariably saying you're "vacancy-promiscuous". So if they recruit you, you'll still be seeking to honour an invitation in possibly a rival company
Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by AbiolaOlowo1: 8:53pm On Feb 19, 2015
Hi friend,
I believe every employer wants to be decieved by your sweet word, so give it to them to get what u want, while u also ensure u put in ur best when u eventually get the job.

To answer ur question, I think u shld start by giving a fair appraisal of where u are currently working, ensure u don't castigate them in this process. Also say a lot of the good untapped potentials about urself, and how u have been able to manage the company u work for. Then finally tell them u need to expand ur horizon, u believe u've really not been opportune to exhibit the better part of u; and this u want to give to them...on a platter of gold if you're considered. Also do not forget to tell them u need better pay.
Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by dammytosh: 8:57pm On Feb 19, 2015
KingBish:

You're invariably saying you're "vacancy-promiscuous". So if they recruit you, you'll still be seeking to honour an invitation in possibly a rival company

Yet we are here. cool cool cool

Trus me there is no abc/ a- z of life.

Your experience, your cv and what you have achieved in your career comes first before any interview question.

If you will add value, even answer i need more money. They will have exception and employ you.
Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by muelzik(m): 8:58pm On Feb 19, 2015
lordprosh:
u can reply by saying u ar not given all chances to impact positively

Nice one...
Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by dammytosh: 8:58pm On Feb 19, 2015
KingBish:

Yet we are here. cool cool cool

Trust me there is no abc/ a- z of life.

Your experience, your cv and what you have achieved in your career comes first before any interview question.

If you will add value, even answer i need more money. They will make an exception and employ you.

Whatever it is, I give that answer, they are not satisfied, they can keep their job.
Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by ochigboochayi(m): 9:12pm On Feb 19, 2015
this question has made me to lose job opportunity once in kano the white man ask me the same question I was confused and told him we have a fight with each other
Re: How To Answer The Question "Why Do You Want To Change Your Current Job" by joeikp(m): 9:12pm On Feb 19, 2015
The following are a list of acceptable answers as good reasons to leaving a job:

Career growth
You can easily say that you are looking for a change in role and wanted more growth, or even that your position was getting stagnant. This might be an acceptable reason for quitting your job, but this by no means gives you leeway to criticize your job.

Your career path
One reason is basic dissatisfaction with your career. Remember that it is not about the particular company or the department, but your career on the whole. This reason would hold true if you have a rich career profile and are currently applying for a job in a new profession.

Looking for challenges
One of the most common and simple reasons is that your job was at a standstill and you wished to seek newer avenues and greater challenges.

Restructuring
Another common reason nowadays is company restructuring. When a company restructures, it  can lay off several people, and in a timeframe. Therefore, even if you have not been directly told to go, nobody would blame you if you are looking for avenues because your colleagues or some other department has been told to go.

Relocation
More often than not, relocation is another reason that is blindly accepted by a company as a reason for looking for another job.
While these are just some of the traditional reasons for a job change, there are some reasons that are more or less accepted today.

Enhanced Education
Another reason that can be provided is enhancement of abilities and education. If you have recently acquired a degree and have decided to utilize your education to enhance your professional profile, this would be a good reason to give for this question.

Workplace distance
Sometimes, even reasons related to daily commutation, like spending too much time commuting from your place of work to your place of residence, as well as less time spent with family can be considered to be the reason/one of the reasons for leaving a job.

Remember that you cannot lie about the reason why you quit your job.
In this era of references and cross references, finding out the real reason why you quit your job is as simple as dialing ten digits on a mobile device.

I hope this helps

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Difference Between Blue Collar And White Collar Jobs / Workforce Group / Reno Omokri Compares Kano And Anambra Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.