Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,513 members, 7,819,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:36 AM

SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God (3839 Views)

Slumdog Millionaire Child For Sale By Her Father / Slumdog Millionaire And Nollywood / Slumdog Millionaire (a Must Watch) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by doyin13(m): 8:21am On Jan 07, 2009
I just watched Slumdog Millionaire and yes it was bloody awesome.
You know, one of those films you wish, if you are involved in cinema that is,
you wish you wrote.

Its also one of those films where the location is as much a character, a living
breathing thing, as are the human actors themselves.

Mumbai, with its squalor on one hand and stupendous wealth on the other(google the
Ambani's) comes alive in this film I think, in a way more than I can remember, any location
does in any film.

Of course, I think this pits it against City of God, that other fantastic film set in Rio.

Anyways. . . .I have come up with my own personal ranking of such films.

At number 3. . . . .Toss up between Quiet American and A Mighty Heart. I would go for the former
cause it is overall a better film and the cinematography as well as the vivid depiction of Saigon.
A Mighty Heart was a bit of a drag, although Karachi as a character stands out in the film.

At number 2. . . . . City of God. I have always come back to this film a few times and wondered, perhaps
the violence was a tad overdone. A self satisfying glorification in violence. The darkness appeals, but do the
variations in favela life as the TV series ''City of Men'' so fantastically brought to the screen, really come out, is
it done any justice by the almost mono dimensional aspect of the film.

At number 1. . . . .the current fave. Slumdog Millionaire.

AND FOR GOD'S SAKE, SOMEONE DO A FILM ABOUT LAGOS ALREADY. CAN'T THINK OF A BETTER ''CITY''
TO BE A CHARACTER IN A FILM
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by Tgirl4real(f): 10:28am On Jan 07, 2009
awwwww . . .

i haven't seen it
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by KarmaMod(f): 6:43pm On Jan 07, 2009
Original title was better as the only comparision between COG and SM is the usage of slums
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by SisiJinx: 1:57am On Jan 08, 2009
SLUMDOG MILLONAIRE!!!

I already did my rah rah reh reh ooo ahhh over SM on the movie review thread but I can always do it again. . .

The Movie was AWESOME. It is the movie to see this year, . . At least before the Oscars!!

Rotflmao, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it's time the did a movie in Lagos to showcase it in all it's squalorific splendor!! cheesy

A couple of friends took offense to the fact that I thot we've got Mumbai beat in squalordom and all we needed was someone to do it justice.

Oh Yeah. . .SM beats COG anyday and it doesn't matter that I haven't seen COG. smiley
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by vicade(m): 2:03am On Jan 08, 2009
I love both Slumdog millionaire and City of God. Those are my best movies ever . However i prefer City Of God cos it was a true life story and it was just like something i had never seen before

Slum Dog Millionaire to me was like a breath of fresh air. Hollywood has been serving a lot of crap and every movie just seemed so alike in a way but slum dog millionare was the best film i have seen since i saw City of God .

Close, but City of God is just too bloody compared to the Fairy tale love story of Slum dog millionaire
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by KarmaMod(f): 2:07am On Jan 08, 2009
Sisi, stop blaspheming. Watch COG first before answering this question

Oniranu omo tongue
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by blissfullynaughty: 3:15am On Jan 08, 2009
doyin13:

I just watched Slumdog Millionaire and yes it was bloody awesome.
You know, one of those films you wish, if you are involved in cinema that is,
you wish you wrote.

Its also one of those films where the location is as much a character, a living
breathing thing, as are the human actors themselves.

Mumbai, with its squalor on one hand and stupendous wealth on the other(google the
Ambani's) comes alive in this film I think, in a way more than I can remember, any location
does in any film.

Of course, I think this pits it against City of God, that other fantastic film set in Rio.

Anyways. . . .I have come up with my own personal ranking of such films.

At number 3. . . . .Toss up between Quiet American and A Mighty Heart. I would go for the former
cause it is overall a better film and the cinematography as well as the vivid depiction of Saigon.
A Mighty Heart was a bit of a drag, although Karachi as a character stands out in the film.

At number 2. . . . . City of God. I have always come back to this film a few times and wondered, perhaps
the violence was a tad overdone. A self satisfying glorification in violence. The darkness appeals, but do the
variations in favela life as the TV series ''City of Men'' so fantastically brought to the screen, really come out, is
it done any justice by the almost mono dimensional aspect of the film.

At number 1. . . . .the current fave. Slumdog Millionaire.

AND FOR GOD'S SAKE, SOMEONE DO A FILM ABOUT LAGOS ALREADY. CAN'T THINK OF A BETTER ''CITY''
TO BE A CHARACTER IN A FILM

Those of you who like the Slumdog fil so much should go and read the book it was based on called Q & A by Vikas Swarup (But with all these adoration, I hope you are not disappointed o). Personally I prefer the book, but maybe that is because I read it first.
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by Treetop20(m): 3:25am On Jan 08, 2009
i will say city of God
that movie is a classic
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by spikedcylinder: 6:59am On Jan 08, 2009
I haven't seen city of God but SM definitely deserves all the hype its been getting.
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by tallnaijaf: 7:16pm On Jan 08, 2009
City of Gods ------ a clear ripoff of[b] Shottas[/b]
Slumdog Millionaire ------- A fairytale, ultra unrealistic portrayal of a love affair.
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by Sammy107d(m): 2:42am On Jan 09, 2009
even as a democratic monk, after watchin the city of god, u know u betta get a gun!
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by Sammy107d(m): 2:48am On Jan 09, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

SLUMDOG MILLONAIRE!!!

I already did my rah rah reh reh ooo ahhh over SM on the movie review thread but I can always do it again. . .

The Movie was AWESOME. It is the movie to see this year, . . At least before the Oscars!!

Rotflmao, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it's time the did a movie in Lagos to showcase it in all it's squalorific splendor!! cheesy

A couple of friends took offense to the fact that I thot we've got Mumbai beat in squalordom and all we needed was someone to do it justice.

Oh YeahSM beats COG anyday and it doesn't matter that I haven't seen COG. smiley

I bow to that phrase: "squalorific splendor"
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by SisiJinx: 5:22am On Jan 09, 2009
Yipeee!!!

SM just won the CCA for best movie. . . . is this a sign of things to come!!!

I hope so!!! Here's to SM
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by SisiJinx: 5:26am On Jan 09, 2009
KarmaMod:

Sisi, stop blaspheming. Watch COG first before answering this question

Oniranu omo  tongue

Lol Okay ooh. . . I will give it a chance since my movie is raking in the awards!!

Sammy107_d:

I bow to that phrase: "squalorific splendor"
grin grin grin grin
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by Sammy107d(m): 5:32am On Jan 09, 2009
I just watched SM heres d link

http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid=831697843653265021

Its crap compared to COG! too many goofs (compared to COG that is). So fictional, it should be animated

Factual errors: (Possibly deliberate decision of filmmakers for benefit of international audience) The Indian numbering system does not use millions. After one thousand, there is the lakh, which is a hundred thousand, and then a crore, which is a hundred lakh (hence ten million). 10 Million rupees should have been referred to as "1 Crore" and would have been written 1,00,00,000 instead of 10,000,000.

Factual errors: In the actual game show in India the game starts with 10 contestants and a fastest finger first round. Only the person who answers the quickest gets to sit on the hot seat, yet in the movie Jamal automatically gets to sit on the hot seat without any fastest finger first round.

Factual errors: In the real quiz show, besides the contestant there are nine more contestants sitting around the hot seat in case the player loses, but in the movie no one was sitting waiting around the hot seat stage.

Factual errors: In the movie, the correct answer to the question of who wrote the song "Darshan Do Ghanshyam Naath" is shown as "Kavi Surdas". However in reality, this song is written by G.S.Nepali.

Continuity: After the scene where Jamal got a black eye from the cab driver, his swollen eye was his left eye, but in one shot, it was his right eye.

Audio/visual unsynchronized: In the scene where Javed is partying with his friends and Latika is held captive, the audio playing in the background is from the movie 'Don', whereas the visual shown on TV is from the movie 'Yuva'.

Factual errors: The young Salim and Jamal are shown to attend the primary municipality school at Mumbai. These schools never had the Three Musketeers story in syllabus. In fact, schools except convent do not have the story in syllabus.

Anachronisms: Although the events of the movie are set in the summer of 2006, the cricket match being played at Javed's house between India and South Africa was played in 2007.

Continuity: When Salim and Jamal find Latika in the dance studio she is seen without and then with a nose ring.

Continuity: In the scene where Jamal and Latika see each other at the railway station (when they are grown up and in the next scene Latika gets kidnapped by Salim), Jamal is standing on the over bridge and spots Latika and calls out to her looking downwards and towards his right. Then when Latika spots him she is looking up and towards her left, this is not possible as the directions they are looking at they will never be able to spot each other.

Factual errors: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire is not broadcast live. This is to prevent potential Phone-A-Friend's from seeing the questions on TV before they are contacted.

Anachronisms: The scene where Jamal tries to steal food, hanging upside down on the train shows a window which had removable bars (it's like a fire escape). These kind of bars were not installed until after the 2002 Gujarat riots.

Anachronisms: The foreigners give a 1000 rupee note presuming Jamal to be a tourist guide at the Taj Mahal. As per the story line that should have been before 2000 as the present situation of the story was in 2006 and the 1000 rupee note was released in 2000.

Anachronisms: The trains on which Jamal and Salim escape and live for many days have compartments painted in blue color. The blue color compartments came into existence at a later date. The compartments were painted Red back then.

Anachronisms: In the scene where Salim and Jamal are working the crowds at the Taj Mahal, Jamal has a new $10 bill in his hand. He is on the T.V. show in 2005; it would be impossible to have a new bill.

Plot holes: The two brothers, with no exposure to the English language, somehow learn to speak it fluently.

Incorrectly regarded as goofs: While driving the car after escaping from Javed and going towards meeting Jamal, the scar appears on right side of Latika's face although it is on left side of her face before the scene when Salim slips her hair and in rest of the movie. However, Latika's face is seen in the rear view mirror of the car; therefore, the scar on her left cheek appears to be on the right cheek.

And my personal input: The improbability of having an entire episode of a gameshow centered on only one coherent story of your life. sheesh
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by Sammy107d(m): 5:33am On Jan 09, 2009
and thank me 4 d link will ya
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by nguage(m): 5:34am On Jan 09, 2009
Its hard to call but I'll give it to city of gods, the story was more believable, Brazilian ghettos are that fucced up. But it can also be argued that what makes a good movie is the ability to make the unbelievable believable.

Slumdog also had the lame Indian dance at the end, I'm sorry that was lame.
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by doyin13(m): 8:26am On Jan 09, 2009
@sammy107 d

Never ever inviting you to a party.

You will suck all the bloody fun outta the room.
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by Sammy107d(m): 8:30am On Jan 09, 2009
oddly enough, that true!

so what did i do here?? undecided
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by doyin13(m): 8:32am On Jan 09, 2009
n-guage:

Slumdog also had the lame Indian dance at the end, I'm sorry that was lame.

LOL.

It reminded me of a similar end of film sequence in the film Zatoichi by Takeshi Kitano.

Great film, but why the heck do we have an R n B/Tap dance routine at the end of
a film about a Samurai killer centuries past.

Sammy107_d:

oddly enough, that true!

so what did i do here?? undecided

Nitpicking angry angry angry angry

I reckon u and True Brit would suit each other well.
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by nguage(m): 8:36am On Jan 09, 2009
Yeah, sammy did a lot of nitpicking, you must be a movie critic or something. I'm pretty sure if I watched C o G that way too, I'll find some mistakes that are as bad.
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by Sammy107d(m): 8:42am On Jan 09, 2009
ok ok in my defense, that was a copy and paste- just the last one is mine.

CoG doesnt have as many goofs; even if it did, it would be a lot more trivial

just looked up True Brit: he's brutal lipsrsealed. . . we'd get along smooth though
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by SisiJinx: 1:49pm On Jan 09, 2009
Sammy107_d:

I just watched SM heres d link

http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid=831697843653265021

Its crap compared to COG! too many goofs (compared to COG that is). So fictional, it should be animated

Factual errors: (Possibly deliberate decision of filmmakers for benefit of international audience) The Indian numbering system does not use millions. After one thousand, there is the lakh, which is a hundred thousand, and then a crore, which is a hundred lakh (hence ten million). 10 Million rupees should have been referred to as "1 Crore" and would have been written 1,00,00,000 instead of 10,000,000.

Factual errors: In the actual game show in India the game starts with 10 contestants and a fastest finger first round. Only the person who answers the quickest gets to sit on the hot seat, yet in the movie Jamal automatically gets to sit on the hot seat without any fastest finger first round.

Factual errors: In the real quiz show, besides the contestant there are nine more contestants sitting around the hot seat in case the player loses, but in the movie no one was sitting waiting around the hot seat stage.

Factual errors: In the movie, the correct answer to the question of who wrote the song "Darshan Do Ghanshyam Naath" is shown as "Kavi Surdas". However in reality, this song is written by G.S.Nepali.

Continuity: After the scene where Jamal got a black eye from the cab driver, his swollen eye was his left eye, but in one shot, it was his right eye.

Audio/visual unsynchronized: In the scene where Javed is partying with his friends and Latika is held captive, the audio playing in the background is from the movie 'Don', whereas the visual shown on TV is from the movie 'Yuva'.

Factual errors: The young Salim and Jamal are shown to attend the primary municipality school at Mumbai. These schools never had the Three Musketeers story in syllabus. In fact, schools except convent do not have the story in syllabus.

Anachronisms: Although the events of the movie are set in the summer of 2006, the cricket match being played at Javed's house between India and South Africa was played in 2007.

Continuity: When Salim and Jamal find Latika in the dance studio she is seen without and then with a nose ring.

Continuity: In the scene where Jamal and Latika see each other at the railway station (when they are grown up and in the next scene Latika gets kidnapped by Salim), Jamal is standing on the over bridge and spots Latika and calls out to her looking downwards and towards his right. Then when Latika spots him she is looking up and towards her left, this is not possible as the directions they are looking at they will never be able to spot each other.

Factual errors: Who Wants To Be A Millionaire is not broadcast live. This is to prevent potential Phone-A-Friend's from seeing the questions on TV before they are contacted.

Anachronisms: The scene where Jamal tries to steal food, hanging upside down on the train shows a window which had removable bars (it's like a fire escape). These kind of bars were not installed until after the 2002 Gujarat riots.

Anachronisms: The foreigners give a 1000 rupee note presuming Jamal to be a tourist guide at the Taj Mahal. As per the story line that should have been before 2000 as the present situation of the story was in 2006 and the 1000 rupee note was released in 2000.

Anachronisms: The trains on which Jamal and Salim escape and live for many days have compartments painted in blue color. The blue color compartments came into existence at a later date. The compartments were painted Red back then.

Anachronisms: In the scene where Salim and Jamal are working the crowds at the Taj Mahal, Jamal has a new $10 bill in his hand. He is on the T.V. show in 2005; it would be impossible to have a new bill.

Plot holes: The two brothers, with no exposure to the English language, somehow learn to speak it fluently.

Incorrectly regarded as goofs: While driving the car after escaping from Javed and going towards meeting Jamal, the scar appears on right side of Latika's face although it is on left side of her face before the scene when Salim slips her hair and in rest of the movie. However, Latika's face is seen in the rear view mirror of the car; therefore, the scar on her left cheek appears to be on the right cheek.

And my personal input: The improbability of having an entire episode of a gameshow centered on only one coherent story of your life. sheesh

angry angry angry angry angry angry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by SisiJinx: 1:51pm On Jan 09, 2009
Sammy107_d:

ok ok in my defense, that was a copy and paste- just the last one is mine.

CoG doesnt have as many goofs; even if it did, it would be a lot more trivial

just looked up True Brit: he's brutal lipsrsealed. . . we'd get along smooth though

She is a she. . . a SHE thank you very much. grin tongue
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by SisiJinx: 2:15pm On Jan 09, 2009
On second thoughts, I withdraw my tears, when the only thing you can find terribly wrong about a movie which is getting rave review up, right and sideways is that they didn’t have the correct counting system or it wasn’t done in the same manner as real game shows in India game . . then I say that was a good movie.

If you or whoever wrote the article had gone on about how horrible the acting was, how completely asinine the script was and the cinematography. . .  bah! A 2 two years old with a toy camera coulda done better, I’d say put a fork in this crappy movie coz it’s done!!

In conclusion. . . GO SM!!! Hehehehehehe grin

Just for funsies and coz my good friend N-guage mentioned it, here are the whatchumacallit for COG

•Revealing mistakes: When Knockout Ned is yelling over the dead boy, the body is breathing.

•Continuity: When Li'l Zé is makes Knockout Ned UnCloth, Knockout Ned's shirt is already unbuttoned. But in the next shot we see him unbuttoning it.

•Continuity: When Bené throws Neguinho out (after he, Neguinho, has killed his girl friend) the amount of blood on Bené's T-shirt changes

•Errors made by characters (possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): When the Tender Trio are running away into the woods after they crashed into a neighbor's house, Shaggy says that Goose messed up his ankle but it's actually Clipper. Goose's ankle is fine.

•Factual errors: During the hotel robbery, Lil Dice is given a six shot revolver. He is not given any additional bullets. He fires more than six shots during his hotel rampage.

•Revealing mistakes: When Rocket walks off after having taken a picture of the Dead Lil Ze, Lil Ze's arm twitches.

•Factual errors: Buscape is using a 135mm lens when he stands above a dead Lil Ze and takes his picture, but the picture that's developed is much too wide to be shot with a 135mm telephoto lens. We know it's a 135mm because, even though it does not appear in the subtitles, Buscape's boss identifies the lens in Portuguese.

•Continuity: The length of the joint Lil Dice is smoking when he is hanging out with the Tender Trio changes size between shots.
•Anachronisms: Lil' Ze is taken into custody by the police, Rocket runs after the police truck. The Police truck passes by a late - model Chevrolet S10, black, circa 2001. The movie is set in the seventies.

•Revealing mistakes: When the Tender Trio open the garage to steal the car after the motel robbery, the car drives out before the boys have completely entered the garage.

Doesn’t stop it from still being a good movie, right? Yeeep, that’s what I thought  cheesy

Oh the one mistake I highlighted. . . seriously, who gives a flying fig??!!!

Some people are just too kini jare! angry
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by Sammy107d(m): 5:13pm On Jan 09, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

She is a she. . . a SHE thank you very much. grin tongue

shocked There's no way that dude is a she mheen; no way.
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by SisiJinx: 6:11pm On Jan 09, 2009
Sammy107_d:

shocked There's no way that dude is a she mheen; no way.

Rotflmao!!! Oh my Goodness! This is so interestingly sweet!

Yes, she a girl! ! A girl! A girl! A girl! cheesy cheesy

Impressive, huh? cool cool

By the way, Kobojunkie is also a girl! grin
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by Sammy107d(m): 6:17pm On Jan 09, 2009
Interesting. . .

I checked your blog. Don't you think its a little. . . wrong!??
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by SisiJinx: 6:35pm On Jan 09, 2009
Sammy107_d:

Interesting. . .

I checked your blog. Don't you think its a little. . . wrong!??

Lmao! Why do you say so?

Alright, what would you suggest? cheesy
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by Sammy107d(m): 6:52pm On Jan 09, 2009
well, a little less 'slavery', more support. My picture of a perfect wife wouldn't be one whose ultimate obligation to me is utter servitude, rather, one who is understanding and trusting, yet reasonable enough to turn me in to the cops if i commit a crime. By the way, any husband who lets wife do everything you mentioned is just an exploitative bastard, and he should be jailed. So inhuman.
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by doyin13(m): 6:57pm On Jan 09, 2009
Sammy107_d:

well, a little less 'slavery', more support. My picture of a perfect wife wouldn't be one whose ultimate obligation to me is utter servitude, rather, one who is understanding and trusting, yet reasonable enough to turn me in to the cops if i commit a crime. By the way, any husband who lets wife do everything you mentioned is just an exploitative bastard, and he should be jailed. So inhuman.

OMG. . . .

You are an official party pooper.

Make too much sense

angry angry angry angry

The world hates a sensible person, and lovessssssssssssss bastards

Fix up man. . . get your mind right
Re: SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God by SisiJinx: 7:07pm On Jan 09, 2009
Sammy107_d:

Lol! Okay first of all, my articles, pieces or whatever you want to call it are so blatant, so in your face. . . that's why it's easy for a guy to read 'em and go "Tufiakwa I am not like that. That is not what I want" when the truth is - it is exactly what they they want but they just go about it in a more subtle manner.  lipsrsealed

However, I'd be remiss in my Fight For Women rahrahness duties if I didn't compliment you for having a good sense of how a woman should be viewed by her husband and how a man should behave to the woman he's chosen to be his life partner. . . So thank you. grin

We are so going to get kicked off this thread, ehn! I am blaming it all on you. . .  cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anikulapo: A Review / Game Of Thrones is back! Season 5 starts tonight by 9pm / TV SERIES: Download Cursed Season 1 (complete)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.