Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,318 members, 7,815,607 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:12 PM

Anikulapo: A Review - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Anikulapo: A Review (3833 Views)

Kunle Afolayan's ‘Anikulapo’ Tops Most Watched Movies On Netflix Naija 2022 / DOWNLOAD Anikulapo (2022) – Nollywood Yoruba Movie / Download Anikulapo (2022) Yoruba Movie By Kunle Afolayan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anikulapo: A Review by osuulola(m): 11:44am On Oct 01, 2022
Kunle Afolayan as usual has a master stroke in Anikulapo. The story picked off an ifa corpus is given life by master artistry.
The casting is very appropriate. Maybe Kunle Rémi should have taken more lessons in pronunciation. Most people would not care about that. The story development was great except for the affair with the Olori which seems to start as a rape. Maybe one day, we'd refer to scenes like that to talk about male rape. The time for that is yet ripe.
Saro is a ready Bleep to any available pussy. He doesn't say No. His only initiated sex in the movie is a rape. We should someday talk about so called alpha males who are only sex manics in a sex scary world. His cock knows no boundary - even the emperor's wife is lau-bla!
Sola Shobowale always a master at the art gave a showpiece. Kareem Adepoju with his commentary is a delight any day. Kunle Afolayan continues his one screen wonder only making it two this time.

Nudity is gradually introduced as a norm in Nollywood. From blood sister, now Anikulapo, we know we're to see more of these. The necessity will be for experts to discuss. The fact that Kunle Afolayan featured all the veterans in this and could garnish with that seemingly sex scene tells how influential he is across the different stratas of the industry.
All together, Anikulapo is a delight to watch. History in feature and legendary in origin. You should see it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anikulapo: A Review by chival(f): 12:17pm On Oct 01, 2022
It is a good movie and I enjoyed it. These were the issues I had with it however.
1. I find it odd that the Oyo monarch did nothing about his cheating wife. I expected a manhunt for her.

2. The narration at the beginning dwelt mainly on the Akala bird, and I expected a more thorough exposition in the main plot. I find it totally unbelievable that a bird reputed to hold the power of life and death would be frightened off by a mere mortal and lose its power in the process. Why did the bird not come in search of its gourd? Did the bird have to suspend its duties in the interim? A lot of loopholes here. I did like the physical aspect of the bird though.

3. The movie was too long and had a few unnecessary scenes. The sex scene between Saro and Arolake was completely uncalled for.

What I liked:
1. Great shots and use of lighting as usual. Afolayan does well in this regard.
2. Fantastic set, props and costumes which lend the movie credibility. I was especially impressed by the ambience when Saro first walked into Oyo. The pottery aspect too was beautiful to see.

All in all, Anikulapo is a good offering.

5 Likes

Re: Anikulapo: A Review by Lamiri(m): 3:55pm On Oct 01, 2022
The direction of the movie is very poor, with unnecessary scenes and very predictable ending if you wanted to make a movie about love, do that if it’s going to be about someone with powers do that, if you want to blend both you are free to, but make it straight forward first half of the movie had many things that were unnecessary.

1 Like

Re: Anikulapo: A Review by seanwilliam(m): 4:32pm On Oct 02, 2022
abeg guys I want to ask if that sex scene is real ?? Especially rolake’s boob angry grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anikulapo: A Review by daveP(m): 10:36pm On Oct 03, 2022
Nigerians made the movie look like it was all about the boobs. That also affected the way the movie was approached by those yet to watch.

While there were many stretches, they did really do well with behind the scenes and the effort on that is unrivalled, sincerely.

The storyline can pass off as a typical Yoruba movie, but the screenplay did it a notch higher. Screenplay didn't do enough justice to that storyline though. Some aspects had loops that we don't know if it was intentional or not.

Like that Akala needed some background or consequent focus.

The evil forest needed to show why it has an eerie and terrifying status. But we saw none of that. I can't forget Kola Onadipe's The Unknown Hands story mainly because he described the evil forest in a way that impresses on your imagination. That forest, of we see a part 2, needs to live up to its hype.

The King of Ojumo too, since he was dignified enough to get flashbacks, it would have been better to see the story behind why he just can't speak publicly again. That's one loop that would help his role in the movie.

One notable achievement is the gathering of legendary yoruba acts in one movie. No doubt, that brought a smile to my face. Especially as they didn't need to talk much before their roles could be understood. If that can happen twice under a different story but pre colonial times story, it should get the necessary hype. Just as Anikulapo is getting.
Lessons were the focus anyway. The love focus needed a stronger emphasis than we saw. Especially with greed and ambition in the mix.

I know a Part 2 is coming. Gbogan needs focal lens too.

As for Arolake, she started all this by that crazy vampire leap in the bush path on Saro. No one expected that.

Overall, Mama did justice to her role. The sugar mummy herself, Awarun. Her own scenery was the best executed with all the pottery and etc.

Many will not be happy at the loops. They were obvious. The Princess aka Eyiyemi Afolayan did so well. For a newbie on set, she deserves accolades.

A 7/10 will do for me.

2 Likes

Re: Anikulapo: A Review by BiggestB0y(m): 9:56am On Oct 04, 2022
it's a good movie,however it could have been better;
This is my own opinion:
for a bird with such power's it would have been better if aroleke had not easily taken the gourd,and it's kind of waird how she quickly figured out what to do with the gourd (they should let us know if she have had stories about the bird before).

Also,the Olumo archery scene was bad tbh, afolayon could have done better or cut out that part. He should have shown more view of the Oyo Ile City!! it's a very large and beautiful city!!
he only showed a gate and the palace !
I know maybe budget and technical know how could be a possible set back so I understand why he didn't stress!!.

A little comedy could have helped too

So for aside those issues, the movie is 8/10.

3 Likes

Re: Anikulapo: A Review by newguy1(m): 11:53am On Oct 04, 2022
The ogundes and the legend afolayan with the first set of yoruba movie ancestors will be proud of these moment. Afolayan have truly earn the 10/10 for a strong yoruba movie full of both suspense, moral , justice and lesson. A true embodiment of what the yorubas stands for.
Re: Anikulapo: A Review by yemi1504: 7:18pm On Oct 04, 2022
The movie came with a lot of lessons. How one should be content with what one has as it is good behavior, how excessive pride leads to one's downfall. A lot of good moral lessons. A very great movie and the actors and actresses really did well!

1 Like

Re: Anikulapo: A Review by SIRTee15: 5:54pm On Oct 07, 2022
seanwilliam:
abeg guys I want to ask if that sex scene is real ?? Especially rolake’s boob angry grin

Sex scene is simulated, but boobs are also fake.
Re: Anikulapo: A Review by Oejozeff(m): 7:03am On Oct 08, 2022
Hey guys please check out the animation I did with my PC recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo6rn9qVogo?sub_confirmation=1
Re: Anikulapo: A Review by FREDCLSSICO7(m): 8:34am On Oct 13, 2022
seanwilliam:

that boob is massive o if you suck it all your problems will be solved for life. besides there say the boobs ain't real that it's a prosthetics
Re: Anikulapo: A Review by PUMPIN11(m): 2:53pm On Oct 13, 2022
Well for me, Anikulapo is a good movie, but i see nothing absolutely extraordinary about it.
I had so much to look out for, expect and imagine in my build up to seeing the movie but eventually, I see nothing out of the norms.
Good movie anyways!
Re: Anikulapo: A Review by akanbiaa(m): 8:18am On Oct 15, 2022
chival:
It is a good movie and I enjoyed it. These were the issues I had with it however.
1. I find it odd that the Oyo monarch did nothing about his cheating wife. I expected a manhunt for her.

2. The narration at the beginning dwelt mainly on the Akala bird, and I expected a more thorough exposition in the main plot. I find it totally unbelievable that a bird reputed to hold the power of life and death would be frightened off by a mere mortal and lose its power in the process. Why did the bird not come in search of its gourd? Did the bird have to suspend its duties in the interim? A lot of loopholes here. I did like the physical aspect of the bird though.

3. The movie was too long and had a few unnecessary scenes. The sex scene between Saro and Arolake was completely uncalled for.

What I liked:
1. Great shots and use of lighting as usual. Afolayan does well in this regard.
2. Fantastic set, props and costumes which lend the movie credibility. I was especially impressed by the ambience when Saro first walked into Oyo. The pottery aspect too was beautiful to see.

All in all, Anikulapo is a good offering.
1. There will naturally be manhunt for her but the evil forest will not be places that will be searched and she and Saro left via the evil forest out of the City.
2. Sometimes powerful creatures can be scared of seemingly powerless people like a baby, a woman who have not given birth before, a teenage that is a virgin etc

It was a great movie but it appears care was taken not to make the production too expensive and within budget that will still showcase the greatness of the movie.
Re: Anikulapo: A Review by bmdondmix: 6:14pm On Oct 17, 2022
The movie is just there, no actual story.
Looks like a series with 2 episode linked together

(1) (Reply)

Video Coverage/Editing, Photography and Sound In Abuja / Top Most Watched TV Series From Toxicwap.com / SlumDog Millionaire vs. City Of God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.