Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

FGM Amoung Igbo Peoples - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / FGM Amoung Igbo Peoples (1689 Views)

Global Media Strategies And Best Practices For Nigeria's Campaign Against FGM/C / UK: FGM Cases In Birmingham Rocket By Almost 30 Percent / Fgm/c:call For Permanent Abandonment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FGM Amoung Igbo Peoples by Onemela: 11:01pm On Feb 19, 2015
Good day to all of you.

I am a Canadian woman married to an Igbo man, and I have some concerns regarding female genital mutilation amoung his culture. The internet is loaded with varying reports about the topic so I thought I would request some real life information from you good people. Is this prevalent still in these days? My husband is from Anambra state. I would like to think someday I could take my daughter to visit without being at risk for this to happen to her. I hope I'm not being disrespectful in any way by asking this. My husband doesn't seem to be very knowledgeable on this particular subject. Also, is there an Igbo word for this procedure?

Thank you in advance for any information you may provide.

Kind regards
Re: FGM Amoung Igbo Peoples by Nobody: 11:21pm On Feb 19, 2015
Onemela:
Good day to all of you.

I am a Canadian woman married to an Igbo man, and I have some concerns regarding female genital mutilation amoung his culture. The internet is loaded with varying reports about the topic so I thought I would request some real life information from you good people. Is this prevalent still in these days? My husband is from Anambra state. I would like to think someday I could take my daughter to visit without being at risk for this to happen to her. I hope I'm not being disrespectful in any way by asking this. My husband doesn't seem to be very knowledgeable on this particular subject. Also, is there an Igbo word for this procedure?

Thank you in advance for any information you may provide.

Kind regards
FGM in igboland? No one is interested in that bullshiit now... we ibos Are civilized ok
Re: FGM Amoung Igbo Peoples by Macmilla(m): 10:32am On Feb 20, 2015
You should know better not to believe everything you read on the Internet. I'm a doctor and I'm proudly from Anambra like your hubby, and I can categorically tell you that all you've been reading on the net about FGM are loads of crap. For starters, in Anambra, we don't play with our women, be you our daughter or our wife. We value our women and we value wedlock. Nobody, I repeat, nobody is going to touch your daughter for any act as stupid as FGM. Just like your husband, we have many men and women spread across the world and none is afraid of coming home with their families.

We circumcise males on the 7th day of their lives. We don't joke with it. I'm sure your husband is circumcised. Male circumcision is medically beneficial. Google the benefits.
But female circumcision, which is rightly called Female genital mutilation, is a crime medically, legally and even traditionally.

Please bring your daughter home cos we love to see our daughters and wives and rest assured that no human being is going to mutilate her.

Thanks.
Re: FGM Amoung Igbo Peoples by Meringe(m): 3:13pm On Feb 20, 2015
Circumcision is called ibi ugwu in igbo language, female genital mutilation .... hmmmm... I don't know that one oooo. I have not seen it or heard it from mom or married siblings or married friends.
Re: FGM Amoung Igbo Peoples by Onemela: 7:33pm On Feb 20, 2015
I greatly appreciate the way in which you have all endeavored to educate me on this matter. I will be very proud to bring my family to visit Obi's homeland. I only wanted to ensure I was clear on the matter since there are so many varying reports out there.

(1) (Reply)

Looking For The Best G Pen Vaporizer For Dry Herbal / Pyramid Energy Accupressure Mat / A Must Read For Every Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.