Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,034 members, 7,818,055 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:07 AM

Common Mistakes We Make In English And Their Correct Expression - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Common Mistakes We Make In English And Their Correct Expression (6953 Views)

Avoid Embarrassment: See Common Mistakes In English That Might Embarrass You / Dangerous Mistakes We Made Before We Graduated From School! / Common Mispronounced Words And Their Correct Pronunciation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common Mistakes We Make In English And Their Correct Expression by Nobody: 12:35pm On Feb 21, 2015
Many a time, we make little errors, either in writing or when a speech is made.
English Language is a vast language that is spoken by almost all and sundry. There is no Self-acclaimed master of English, as we all seem to be learning everyday that passes, and we need to Keep up with the jonesses so that we may not be left behind.
Below is a list of common mistakes we make in english with their correct expressions.
N/b : the correct expression are written in bold format.
(1) Paul fight like a wounded lion
Paul fights like a wounded lion
(2) Mercy is yellow in complexion
Mercy is fair in complexion
(3) Practice makes perfect
Practice makes perfection
(4) Kemi, stop insulting me. I am not your age
Kemi, stop insulting me. We are not age mates
(5) Your soup is very sweet
Your soup is very tasty
(6) Please remember me
Please, remind me
(7) I am covered by the blood of Jesus
I am covered with the blood of Jesus
(cool Who is banging the door?
Who is banging at the door?
(9) Conductor, I want to drop here
Conductor, I want to alight here
(10) Say the truth, Who stole the book?
Tell the truth, Who stole the book?
(11) The matter is between me and you
The matter is between you and me
(12) please, leave my hand alone
Please let go of me
(13) My pen is with my friend
My friend has my pen
(14) Please, come again
Please, repeat
(15) Sir, more grace to your elbow
Sir, more power to your elbow
(16) Hell was let loose
All hell was let lose
(17) Jim is a trickish boy
Jim is a tricky boy
(18) I will sleep at 10 : 00pm
I will go to bed by 10 :00pm
(19) Do you have some money with you?
Do you have any money on you?
(20)Moreless troublesome
Much-less trouble some
(21) James is a police man
James is a police officer
(22) All that glitters are not gold
All that glitters is not gold
(23) I will study it offhead
I will study it by heart
(24) The watch is 15 minutes late
The watch is 15 minutes slow
(25) Abide with rules
Abide by the rule
(26) Clark is a sharp man
Clark is a smart man
(27) Sorry sir
I am sorry sir
(28) Good friends are difficult to come across
Good friends are difficult to come by
(29) The plane departed to Gambia
The plane departed for Gambia
(30) Leaders are expected to lay good examples
Leaders are expected to set good examples

1 Like

Re: Common Mistakes We Make In English And Their Correct Expression by Akkord4gov: 12:40pm On Feb 21, 2015
K o
Re: Common Mistakes We Make In English And Their Correct Expression by Cutehector(m): 12:43pm On Feb 21, 2015
Number 14 grin.
Re: Common Mistakes We Make In English And Their Correct Expression by ArchEnemy(m): 12:57pm On Feb 21, 2015
No 2. What about light in complexion?
No 14. Or... pardon
Re: Common Mistakes We Make In English And Their Correct Expression by Nobody: 1:05pm On Feb 21, 2015
ArchEnemy:
No 2. What about light in complexion?
No 14. Or... pardon
'Light in complexion' is somehow un-english like. Just go with fair in complexion.
@no. 14 pardon...? i dont know much about this
Re: Common Mistakes We Make In English And Their Correct Expression by Welrez(m): 1:52pm On Feb 21, 2015
The expression 'practice makes perfect', though ungrammatical, is universally recognised to be correct.

The fault with the use of by and with in sentence number 7 is due to the differences between BrE and AmE.

I've seen the use of WITH instead of ON in expression number 19 in the Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary.

The basic difference between our pidgin and standard English is the misuse and the total elimination of prepositions.
There is also the occasional misuse of adjectives; e.g. Peter is a talkative instead of Peter is talkative. Adjectives, when they end a sentence, are rarely preceded by articles.
Re: Common Mistakes We Make In English And Their Correct Expression by Nobody: 1:59pm On Feb 21, 2015
@Welrez ok. noted
Re: Common Mistakes We Make In English And Their Correct Expression by Nobody: 2:00pm On Feb 21, 2015
@Welrez ok. Your points are noted

(1) (Reply)

Federal University Gusau,zamfara State / Students In Harvard University Vs Those In Uniport And Unical / Could This Be The Ugliest Guy On Facebook? See What Friends Are Saying About Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.