Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,565 members, 7,820,037 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:52 AM

SMOKE .....WITHOUT FIRE - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / SMOKE .....WITHOUT FIRE (1366 Views)

Where There's Smoke (short Story On 54 Artistry) / **smoke Without Fire** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

SMOKE .....WITHOUT FIRE by Nobody: 5:40pm On Feb 21, 2015
Watch the day come alive with me as we drive on this lonely road, into this city. Are you surprised that you are in this story? Well, it must be you and I. Not because I do not want you to enjoy viewing this story from afar, but because, to understand a bizarre story of this kind , you simply have to be a character ......in a way.
If you do not mind , I must take you to the past with me, in this car, on this lonely road. This story belongs to my past , but you must not be worried or scared as we go through it. Alright....I will give you clues - a charred body in a laboratory and a deeply dug grave in an eight year olds' room. Not very nice at all. But you don't need to worry. All you need to do is watch. This past is now like our 'here' and 'now'.
In this past of mine, I am fifteen. Driving us in the car while you and I watch the sunlight stream in through the windows, is my mother. She is so excited that we moved here, she has always wanted to move into a posh neighbourhood. I am quiet. I have always been a quiet child - but even with the sun rays everywhere and the pretty houses, I don't feel too good. Something here makes me feel trapped.

2 Likes

Re: SMOKE .....WITHOUT FIRE by Nobody: 6:08pm On Feb 21, 2015
To all those reading, I apologize for the 'alias' thread similar to this, I posted that by mistake and I have to say I have no idea on how to take it off the page. But you will not regret it if you follow this soul's journey , twisted and strange as the plot may be......And by the way, whom do you think is typing all this? The one with the experience, or me? smiley
Re: SMOKE .....WITHOUT FIRE by Nobody: 6:20pm On Feb 21, 2015
Oh you're back in the car with me aren't you? Where did you go? A soul never leaves a journey in time travel, you might get lost. The next time you leave this journey you might get lost in purgatory, right in the middle. Now that's not funny at all. Stay with me , fellow souls. smiley
Re: SMOKE .....WITHOUT FIRE by Iolite(f): 6:37pm On Feb 21, 2015
Following

1 Like

Re: SMOKE .....WITHOUT FIRE by Nobody: 10:07am On Feb 25, 2015
Pretty soon, we get to our house with white walls, a white fence, white everything. It doesn't matter that I'm a guy, I just don't like the plain look of this place,even though I'm not asking for pink.
Sit down on the grey sofa in the parlour. We are soon going to meet our ordinary, boring neighbours- the Grimblies. Funny name, right? When they come in, they look funny too. Both Mrs Grimbly and her fat , pudgy eight year old son wear large , round glasses and look scared and weak. I don't show my feelings anyway. I go to the kitchen instead and serve them water while my mother does the pleasantries. Soon enough, 'four eyes' and her son are gone and I feel better.
Mom wants me to adapt to the new school right away, the very next day. This irritates me because I also dislike the school in the same way I hate the neighbourhood. It looks like a concentration camp from Hitler's time which was given away to the neighbourhood as charity from its former miserable occupants. I spend my first day at school sulking and avoiding Mrs Grimby's son who follows me around without saying a word during break time . I have a feeling that this boy is more than the 'talented' freak I think he is. I have a feeling that something bad is about to happen here. This place is just strange, it's not normal.

Dont ask me why. I just know what I feel.

2 Likes

Re: SMOKE .....WITHOUT FIRE by Nobody: 12:38pm On Mar 06, 2015
No likes, nothing. This is so discouraging. Well I don't really care that much, I'm still going to continue.

1 Like

Re: SMOKE .....WITHOUT FIRE by Nobody: 11:38pm On May 10, 2015
Nike! Come and continue la sad
Re: SMOKE .....WITHOUT FIRE by Nobody: 12:48am On May 11, 2015
laykorn:
Nike! Come and continue la sad

Lol ok starting tomorrow.
Re: SMOKE .....WITHOUT FIRE by kaboninc(m): 2:49pm On Jun 07, 2015
Krystalxxx:

Lol ok starting tomorrow.
Everyday is tomorrow!
Re: SMOKE .....WITHOUT FIRE by Nobody: 9:35am On Jun 11, 2015
kaboninc:

Everyday is tomorrow!

Follow me back into the dark tunnels of time, lost soul.....and you will find with me, or him, what you seek, my dear precious soul smiley
Re: SMOKE .....WITHOUT FIRE by Nobody: 10:05am On Jun 11, 2015
Watch the smoke swirls change, watch the stormy clouds turn us to dust and turn us into little particles that only float, weightless through time again. We solidify at a not so far away point from where we were last.....now we are at the house again.

It's evening, it's cold, dull inside and stormy outside. The rain pounds on the glass panels of the house, as if demanding to come in. The weather depicts my mood. While you, travelling soul, sits next to me , unseen, on the fairly large sofa, I stare with eyes as dark as the storm, at my mother, who is pacing about, upset as well.

"Lewis!" She screams at me angrily , waving her arms about with equally angry gestures ." Why did you refuse to go babysit Mrs Grimsby's son, John, when I asked you to? Since when did you start getting obstinate with me, boy? Well we'll see where your pocket money comes from this time!"

I look at her with questioning angry eyes again.

"What sort of name is GRIMSBY , Mom? I'm telling you something just doesn't feel right about those people. They look weak but they're weird, there's something wrong with them. I'm definitely not going there"

In the past weeks I'd only attempted to babysit the witch's son once. His mom had smiled at me weakly and gone back to whatever she was doing with her large glasses until she eventually left. The boy had stood in a corner of his room throughout, smiling eerily at me. Within hours of staying in the dark house, I'd seen animal skins on the walls, toys misplaced and arranged in weird positions. My exploration had stopped when I sighted a supposed animals leg under the bed. Whether it was human or not, I didn't want to pull it out and find out. At the moment I'd been close to the body, hand outstretched, about to pull it out, Mrs Grimsby had startled me, opening the door suddenly and saying she was back and I could leave, with one of her weird smiles of course.

Back to the moment. Mom had her hands on her hips, facing me squarely.
" young man, we only got here and I will not have you referring to our new neighbors as freaks! You will go to the Grimsby's house and babysit as usual next week, or we are through on allowances for this month. I won't have you jeopardize my relationship with the new neighbors"

I raise my dark eyebrows in surrender. Lay back on the couch and smile back at her in a sadistic manner. Seems like it's just you and me now , soul. Let's see how this creepy little game ends.

1 Like

Re: SMOKE .....WITHOUT FIRE by kaboninc(m): 7:29pm On Jun 11, 2015
Krystalxxx:

Are these random thoughts?
Re: SMOKE .....WITHOUT FIRE by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jun 11, 2015
kaboninc:

Yeah random thoughts.......
Re: SMOKE .....WITHOUT FIRE by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jun 11, 2015
kaboninc:

Yeah random thoughts.......everything is in my head,lol

1 Like

Re: SMOKE .....WITHOUT FIRE by kaboninc(m): 10:32pm On Jun 11, 2015
Krystalxxx:

Yeah random thoughts.......everything is in my head,lol
I wonder what's currently on your head now!
Lol.
Re: SMOKE .....WITHOUT FIRE by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jun 11, 2015
kaboninc:

I wonder what's currently on your head now!

Lol.

Well that's a mystery that cannot be solved

(1) (Reply)

The Power Of Reading / Science Fiction Fans Attn / The Irish Pig: A Poem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.