Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,325 members, 7,819,113 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:29 AM

Doctors Make False Diagnosis For Money? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctors Make False Diagnosis For Money? (2048 Views)

In need of urgent help pls: eye defect (aftermath of my eye diagnosis) / Hospitals In Nigeria That Does Prenatal Diagnosis For Genotype Testing. / Fear Of Ebola: Villagers Flee From The Sight Of Red Cross And Western Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doctors Make False Diagnosis For Money? by cabali(m): 9:00pm On Jan 07, 2009
A lady with severe stomach issues was taken to a clinic on the mainland. She met the doctor on duty and explained her symptoms. The doctor listens carefully and without any test concluded she she had to be operated on for the removal of her appendix.

She was told the operation was imperative and must be done within 5days or there will be a rupture and was billed about N68,000 for it.

The lady decided it was too expensive and decided to go to Ghana for it considering it will be cheaper for her as she is from Ghana. She gets to Ghana and series of rigorous tests were done on her, and after a week, she had another diagnosis and was given drugs that would last a week indicating she will be fine at the expiration.

She further mentioned thatshe was afraid it had to do with her appendix and the doctors said far from that and that she is fine as that was concerned.

I know doctors sometimes admit patients to make money over issues that could have been handled by oral medication at home. If u have had any experience share it here.

It is so embarrasing to note that the lady is fine after a month.  angry
Re: Doctors Make False Diagnosis For Money? by cabali(m): 3:00pm On Jan 08, 2009
And how can it be explained that a hospital will require N500,000 payment for child delivery. I wonder if it comes with clothing for the child and stuff
Re: Doctors Make False Diagnosis For Money? by MaiSuya(m): 4:36pm On Jan 08, 2009
what is the name of the clinic?
Re: Doctors Make False Diagnosis For Money? by cabali(m): 10:45pm On Jan 08, 2009
Dont really know abt it but it was mentioned on dan foster's show. U know he cant mention names. Just scary
Re: Doctors Make False Diagnosis For Money? by reindeer: 5:38am On Jan 11, 2009
Hmmm.

someone felt 68k was to expensive for a surgery and then travels to ghana,(at what cost? by air?)
i dont know but somehow the story probably isnt complete.

And then not all hospitals charge 500k for delivery , coupled with the fact that the money might involve a cesarean section, hospital care, drugs etc.
there are always hospitals that will charge less, at least the general hospitals are there where you pay about 20-25k for a delivery.
bottom line go to hospitals your income can afford.
Re: Doctors Make False Diagnosis For Money? by chyk91(m): 9:54pm On Jan 11, 2009
to be a doctor is not easy, i must confess, there are some diseases that have common syptoms with others so it can be confusing, but the doctor was careless, he should have asked her to go for a test to be sure, and if i may ask what hospital did ur friend go to cos it sounds like one of em cheap ass hospitals (sorry for the language) but its yue, appendix removal at 68,000 is kinda small to me,(my own view).but 500k is too much for delivery sha. but anyway try and go to a good hospital that u can afford.
Re: Doctors Make False Diagnosis For Money? by cabali(m): 4:06pm On Jan 13, 2009
It is not the cost that is in contention.

It is the fact that the hospital (a reputable one that is a client on major hospital management schemes used by multi nationals) diagnosed for appendix when that was not the problem the patient really had.
She just had some stomach complications that was solved with drugs.

The difference in costing is not the issue but the correct diagnosis that was wrongly given.

i know of hospitals that will admit a patient for 3 days when treatment could have been effectively administered oral
Re: Doctors Make False Diagnosis For Money? by chyk91(m): 10:20pm On Jan 13, 2009
what u are saying is true sha, but that is the doctor's fault now and not the hospital, but also understand that the doctor probably on seeing some symptoms thought it was appendixities, but that notwithstanding, the doctor messed up. he really messed up and its true that some hospitals admit people just to make money, its quite true.
Re: Doctors Make False Diagnosis For Money? by cabali(m): 9:30am On Jan 14, 2009
Well it is a shame. maybe the hospital has doctors contracted to work with them but it is tearing them apart if that is the case. it should be reported actually to Medexia, THT, Unity and all other HMOs that use that particular hospital.

who else has an experience
Re: Doctors Make False Diagnosis For Money? by cabali(m): 9:35am On Jan 14, 2009
reindeer:

Hmmm.

someone felt 68k was to expensive for a surgery and then travels to ghana,(at what cost? by air?)
i don't know but somehow the story probably isnt complete.

And then not all hospitals charge 500k for delivery , coupled with the fact that the money might involve a cesarean section, hospital care, drugs etc.
there are always hospitals that will charge less, at least the general hospitals are there where you pay about 20-25k for a delivery.
bottom line go to hospitals your income can afford.

i agree not all hospitals charge that outrageous amount. And it is the cost for a normal delivery actually. what hospital care will make the cost come to that much? except the cost comes with cartons of Huggies, a baby car seat and clothings, then they can start from there to make arguments worthy of looking at at all.
Re: Doctors Make False Diagnosis For Money? by chyk91(m): 10:42pm On Jan 14, 2009
lol at above post.
Re: Doctors Make False Diagnosis For Money? by MaiSuya(m): 11:23pm On Jan 15, 2009
cabali:

It is not the cost that is in contention.

It is the fact that the hospital (a reputable one that is a client on major hospital management schemes used by multi nationals) diagnosed for appendix when that was not the problem the patient really had.
She just had some stomach complications that was solved with drugs.

The difference in costing is not the issue but the correct diagnosis that was wrongly given.

I am not trying to absolve the doctor of his error, but you should understand that there are some ailments with very similar diagnosis that even he best doctors can make mistakes. I would like to know what substantive diagnosis of the lady in question turned out to be.

cabali:

i know of hospitals that will admit a patient for 3 days when treatment could have been effectively administered oral

Really? Pardon me if I sound too presumptuous, but I truly doubt that you are a doctor, so how did you come to the above (emboldened) conclusion?
Re: Doctors Make False Diagnosis For Money? by chyk91(m): 11:47pm On Jan 15, 2009
lol
Re: Doctors Make False Diagnosis For Money? by reindeer: 11:36pm On Jan 17, 2009
Depending on the hospital and the quality of care breakdown might be like this foe a cesarean birth.

theater use 50k
anesthetist fee(spinal) 70-90k
cost of surgery 200-250k
cost of staying in house for recovery(usually about 5days)50k
other fees(drugs,iv fluids,feeding for 2-4days,care for the newborn) 20-50k
so my dear though the figures given are for an upscale hospital you'll see its possible especially in lagos.
if theres a problem with the cost the HMO will likely not pay and request further clarifications.

concerning wrong diagnosis, its quite possible the doctor got confused and should have made further investigations to be sure but believe me for most cases of avute appendicitis, diagnosis is clinical.
the cases that get treated with drugs and get relief are usually subacute and will still later go for an interval apendectomy(postponed suregries that will still be done nevertheless).
while not excusing negligience, i think you should always demand an explanation from your doctor so you can understand their decision making processes better,its your right.
Re: Doctors Make False Diagnosis For Money? by cabali(m): 12:37pm On Jan 21, 2009
Mai Suya:

I am not trying to absolve the doctor of his error, but you should understand that there are some ailments with very similar diagnosis that even he best doctors can make mistakes. I would like to know what substantive diagnosis of the lady in question turned out to be.
[/b]

Really? Pardon me if I sound too presumptuous, but I truly doubt that you are a doctor, so how did you come to the above (emboldened) conclusion?

It is ok to make mistakes but when u do not even see the neccessity of a test and you conclude on diagnosis, what does that turn out to display?

Do you need to be a doctor to know some wrongs of doctors, I will say no. A colleague's son was diagnosed with tonsilisis. The hospital said he needed to be admitted for 3 days and placed on drip and after that for 4 days, he will be administered drugs. they werent prepared so they managed to a family friend who is a doctor but further away and he said the boy was given drugs and only asked to come for injections twice a day for 4 days and the boy was fine there after.

Tell me after experiencing this, does the father of the boy need to be a doctor to mention what he experienced?
Re: Doctors Make False Diagnosis For Money? by cabali(m): 4:56pm On Jan 27, 2009
and ok, the hospital is a well known one in gbagada.
Re: Doctors Make False Diagnosis For Money? by stnonymus(m): 7:54am On Jan 31, 2009
One has to be very careful with most doctors.They are so profit motivated that they dont mind overloading you with drugs that you dont need and destroying your liver just to make a quick buck.

Re: Doctors Make False Diagnosis For Money? by waleab: 8:08am On Jan 31, 2009
wicked yellow fever doctors. na yeye dey worry dem
Re: Doctors Make False Diagnosis For Money? by cabali(m): 3:03pm On Feb 15, 2009
st_nonymus:

One has to be very careful with most doctors.They are so profit motivated that they dont mind overloading you with drugs that you dont need and destroying your liver just to make a quick buck.

I agree with you on that!!!

(1) (Reply)

Cause And Remedy For Virginal Dryness: Please ! / How Can One Enlarge His Manhood / Brazilian Man Born With Upside-down Head Defies All Odds [pics & Video]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.