Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,221 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:34 AM

Obafemi Awolowo University 2015/2016 Admission Session - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Obafemi Awolowo University 2015/2016 Admission Session (18321 Views)

The Federal University Of Technology Akure (FUTA) 2016/2017 Admission Session / Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK-NAU) 2016/2017 Admission Session / UNIZIK 2015/2016 Undergraduate Admission Session (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obafemi Awolowo University 2015/2016 Admission Session by davskioppy: 1:15am On Feb 22, 2015
Hello Nairalanders, this forum is created with the aim of correcting the mistakes and all that has happened in past years due to ignorance. I'll still want to re-iterate this that oau is the easiest when it comes to admission. It might sound confusing, but I have rationales and facts to back this up. One truth: Admission into universities is becoming tougher and reduced in universities like oau and the rest. It only takes hardworking, wisdom, persistence, commitment, prayer and some factors to get this very admission. Before I submit, I would advice that you choose wisely during your registration. This is where most candidates miss it. Staylites will try as much as possible to assist and guide as many as possible in this coming admission.
Heaven help those who help themselves

Cc:Fynestboi,Afolabi6046 etc

Re: Obafemi Awolowo University 2015/2016 Admission Session by davskioppy: 1:34am On Feb 22, 2015
WELCOME TO OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY ADMISSION THREAD FOR THE PROSPECTIVE 2015/2016 ASPIRANT

Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) is a federal government owned and operated Nigerian university. The university is in the ancient city of Ile-Ife, Osun State, Nigeria. The university was founded in 1961 and classes commenced in October 1962 as the University of Ife by the regional government of Western Nigeria, led by late chief Samuel Ladoke Akintola, and was renamed Obafemi Awolowo University on 12 May 1987 in honour of Chief Obafemi Awolowo (1909–1987), first premier of the Western Region of Nigeria, whose brainchild the university was.

HISTORY
The decision to establish the University of Ife (popularly referred to as "Great Ife"wink by the ruling Action Group party of the Western Region of Nigeria was in protest at the recommendations of the Ashby commission. The first Nigerian university was established in 1948 at Ibadan, in the western region as an external college of the university of London. However, the needs of Nigeria (then a British colony) far outstripped the productivity of the only university. In particular the University College at Ibadan had no faculty of engineering or technology, no law school, no pharmacy school or management training abilities. The Ashby commission, set up by the British, was to review tertiary education needs of the soon-to-be-independent nation of Nigeria.

In 1959, the Ashby commission recommended additional (regional) universities in the northern and eastern regions of Nigeria and another federal university in the Lagos protectorate, but none in the more educationally advanced western region which had a 'free and universal primary education' program. The government of the western region did not want to rely on the federal universities or those of other regions to admit its numerous secondary school leavers. The protest of the foundation of the university at Ife was not only in rebuttal to the perceived politicization of higher education opportunities in Nigeria and the western region but was also designed to fill the gaps in the manpower needs.

The Government of the Western Region of Nigeria first announced in 1960 its intention to establish as soon as possible a University in the Western Nigeria which would be of the highest standard, its policy was to open its doors to students from all parts of the Federation and of the world; in line with its belief in academic excellence. The planning of the University was entrusted to two committees. One a University Planning Committee comprising persons qualified to advise on the planning of a new University, and who in effect under look the preparatory work connected with the establishment of the University pending the setting up of the provisional council of the University: the other, a University Parliamentary Committee, which would be advisory to the Minister of Education, on 8 June 1961, the Law providing for the establishment of the Provisional council for the University was passed by the Legislature of the Western Region and on the 26th of the same month Provisional Council of the University was formally inaugurated under the chairmanship of Chief Rotimi Williams.

On 11 June 1970, an edict known as the University of Ife now Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-Ife Edict 1970, was promulgated by the Government of the Western State to replace the Provisional Council Law of 18 June 1961. This Edict had since been amended by the University Amendment Edict No 11 of 1975. This New Decree effected a take-over of the University by the Federal Military Government.

The site selected for the University was Ile-Ife, a town about 65 kilometers north-east of Ibadan Oyo State. Ife is famous as the centre of an ancient civilization and the home of the Museum which contains the renowned Ife heads. It was intended that temporary buildings should be put on the site to enable teaching to commence in October 1962, while the permanent buildings were subsequently planned and erected. But when the Federal Government transferred the Ibadan Branch of the Nigeria College of Arts, Science and Technology, to the University, if was decided that it would be unnecessary to put up temporary buildings at Ife, and the University was temporary located on the site of the Ibadan Branch of the Nigerian College. Teaching began in October with an initial enrolment of 244 students. The teaching, administration and technical staff. Either transferred from the Nigerian College of Art, or were newly recruited from abroad, numbered about eighty.

The University started with five faculties Agriculture, Arts, Economics and Social Studies (now Social Sciences), Law and Sciences. Eight other faculties have since been added, namely the Faculties, of Education established on 1 October 1967), the Faculty of Pharmacy (established on 1 October 1970), the Faculty of Administration which replaces the former institute of Administration (with effect from 1 October 1979) and the Faculty of Environmental Design and Management (established in April 1982). The Faculty of Health Science (established on 1 October 1970) is now a college, made up of three faculties, namely the Faculties of Basic Medical Sciences.

Ife started the first Faculty of Pharmacy in West Africa, the first Department of Chemical Engineering and the first Electronics component in addition to Electrical Engineering. Its medical school started with an integrated curriculum and community orientation (which was later adopted by the World Health Organization) and a compulsory baccalaureate (BSc honours) before entrance to the clinical school, but this was later jettisoned.

On 10 July 1999 members of the Confraternity murdered the secretary-general of the students' union, George Iwilade, and several other student activists in the Obafemi Awolowo University massacre. The Education Minister Tunde Adeniran issued a statement acknowledging knowledge of the incident and that the ministry will treat the case with "utmost concern".
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University 2015/2016 Admission Session by davskioppy: 1:36am On Feb 22, 2015
Obafemi Awolowo University offers undergraduate and post-graduate programmes in fields of specialization spanning the humanities, the arts, the natural sciences, the social sciences, the medical sciences, engineering and technology.

The university has 13 faculties and two colleges — the Postgraduate College and the College of Health Sciences — administered in more than 60 departments. It was previously associated with Loma Linda University in California, USA. Ever since the establishment of OAU, a total of 82 departments have emerged with numerous courses offered. Below is the list of departments:

African Languages and Literature,
Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural Engineering,
Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology,
Anaesthesia,
Anatomy and Cell Biology,
Animal Science,
Archeology,
Architecture,
Biochemistry,
Botany,
Building,
Business Law,
Chemical Engineering,
Chemical Pathology,
Chemistry,
Civil Engineering,
Community Health and Nutrition,
Computer Science and Engineering,
Continuing Education,
Demography and Social Statistics,
Dermatology and Venerology,
Dramatic Arts,
Economics,
Educational Administration and Planning,
Educational Foundation and Counseling,
Educational Technology,
Electronic and Electrical Engineering,
English Language,
Environmental Health and Epidemiology,
Estate Management,
Fine Arts,
Food Science and Technology,
Foreign Languages,
Geography,
Geology,
Haematology and Immunology,
History,
International Law,
International Relations,
Jurisprudence and Private Law,
Linguistics,
Literature in English,
Local Government Studies,
Management and Accounting,
Mathematics,
Mechanical Engineering,
Medical Microbiology and Parasitology,
Medical Rehabilitation,
Medicine,
Mental Health,
Metallurgy and Materials Engineering,
Microbiology,
Morbid Anatomy and Forensic Medicine,
Music,
Nursing,
Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Perimatology,
Oral Maxilofacial Surgery and Oral Pathology,
Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology,
Paediatrics and Child Health,
Pharmaceutical Chemistry,
Pharmaceutics,
Pharmacognosy,
Pharmacology,
Philosophy,
Physics,
Physiological Sciences,
Physical and Health Education,
Plant Science,
Political Science,
Preventive Dentistry, Oral Medicine and Periodontology,
Psychology,
Public Administration,
Public Law,
Quantity Surveying,
Radiology,
Religious Studies,
Restorative Dentistry,
Sociology and Anthropology,
Soil Science,
Special Education and Curriculum Studies,
Surgery,
Urban and Regional Planning and,
Zoology,
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University 2015/2016 Admission Session by davskioppy: 1:38am On Feb 22, 2015
The motto of the university is "For learning and culture". However, owing to the rigorous and exacting academic standards, students[who?] have parodied this motto to "For learning and torture".

In terms of research productivity, Ife is ranked as the most productive university in Nigeria by the National Universities Commission (NUC) and by Shanghai University world rankings as it relates to Africa. Ife has attracted young Nigerian students because, for a long time, it had no lower age limit for admission.

Enrollment is more than 20,000 for undergraduates and 6,000 for graduate studies. The major halls of undergraduate residences for males are Fajuyi, Awolowo, Angola and E.T.F. For women, halls of residence are Moremi, Ladoke Akintola, Alumni and Mozambique. Muritala Muhammed Hall is for postgraduates.

The university is endowed with modernist architecture - the campus layout and buildings were designed by Israeli architect Arieh Sharon. The original design and architecture are described in detail on the Arieh Sharon Foundation Web Site and Arieh Sharon Foundation Archive. The campus has an eye-catching landscape built on about 5,000 acres (20 km2) of a total of 13,000 acres (53 km2) of the land owned by the university.

The student body is represented by the Students' Union of Obafemi Awolowo University.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University 2015/2016 Admission Session by davskioppy: 1:39am On Feb 22, 2015
Halls of Residence
Ile-Ife campus is built on about 5,000 acres (20 km2) of a total of 13,000 acres (53 km2) university owned land. Its halls of residence include:

Awolowo Hall
Angola Hall
Alumni Hall
ETF Hall
Fajuyi Hall
Ladoke Akintola Hall
Moremi Hall
Mozambique Hall
Murtala Muhammed Hall
The Male halls are Awolowo hall, Angola hall, ETF hall and Fajuyi hall. The female halls are Alumni hall, Ladoke Akintola hall, Moremi hall, Mozambique hall. The postgraduate hall, Murtala Muhammed hall is a mixed hall.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University 2015/2016 Admission Session by davskioppy: 1:42am On Feb 22, 2015
The school has one of the biggest library,sport facility,medical and health facility.I welcome all aspirant for this year,let's makes use of this thread.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University 2015/2016 Admission Session by davskioppy: 1:50am On Feb 22, 2015
We have to know that the school is for academically genius people.

Admission into d skul is based on aggregate i.e. UTME + PUTME score/2, meaning dat u must strike balances bwn ur scores. For example, if u ar going for a 260 course, u shud knw dat ur UTME score shudn't b less dan 250 so as to EASILY strike a balance wit a PUTME score of 270.

Let's try as much as possible to get what we are looking for,I pray God will be involved.

Feel free to ask any question about the school and her admission process,your question will be answered with immediayte effect.

For more information about the school admission,always visit oauife.edu.ng
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University 2015/2016 Admission Session by Samneer: 2:48am On Feb 22, 2015
Alright
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University 2015/2016 Admission Session by DrSage(m): 8:14am On Feb 23, 2015
A thread has been created fr Oau aspirants already

https://www.nairaland.com/1943953/2015-2016-oau-aspirant-thread/4#30485397
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University 2015/2016 Admission Session by davskioppy: 8:36am On Feb 25, 2015
kiss
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University 2015/2016 Admission Session by sketcherJ(m): 3:47pm On Mar 19, 2015
davskioppy:

Admission into d skul is based on aggregate i.e. UTME + PUTME score/2, meaning dat u must strike balances bwn ur scores. For example, if u ar going for a 260 course, u shud knw dat ur UTME score shudn't b less dan 250 so as to EASILY strike a balance wit a PUTME score of 270.

Let's try as much as possible to get what we are looking for,I pray God will be involved.

Feel free to ask any question about the school and her admission process,your question will be answered with immediayte effect.

Re: Obafemi Awolowo University 2015/2016 Admission Session by sketcherJ(m): 3:47pm On Mar 19, 2015
davskioppy:

pls sir...i got 257 in jamb and am going for law@oau...should i pursue or relent?
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University 2015/2016 Admission Session by davskioppy: 6:55pm On Mar 19, 2015
sketcherJ:
pls sir...i got 257 in jamb and am going for law@oau...should i pursue or relent?
ur chance is moderate u have to put more effort to make it in the post utme.Last year cut-off for law was 291
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University 2015/2016 Admission Session by Debbielam(f): 8:58pm On Mar 19, 2015
i tot all cut off mark for oau is 200 nd post utme is 200+ i dont understand how these things is calculated
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University 2015/2016 Admission Session by Debbielam(f): 8:59pm On Mar 19, 2015
i tot all cut off mark for oau is 200 nd post utme is 200+ i dont understand how these things is calculated pls help
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University 2015/2016 Admission Session by davskioppy: 10:25pm On Mar 19, 2015
Debbielam:
i tot all cut off mark for oau is 200 nd post utme is 200+ i dont understand how these things is calculated pls help
if u had 200 and above in utme,u are qualified to sit for the post utme which you are expected to score another 200 and above,but depending on your course there will be cut off that will be released,it is based on candidate perfomances.This is how you will calculate your aggregate to know if you meet the cut-off for your department: Jamb score+ Post Jamb score/2.I wish u best of luck ma.
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University 2015/2016 Admission Session by Debbielam(f): 10:47pm On Mar 19, 2015
ok so where can i get the list showing the cut off mark for my course? its comp science with maths -options in software eng
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University 2015/2016 Admission Session by davskioppy: 6:04pm On Mar 20, 2015
Debbielam:
ok so where can i get the list showing the cut off mark for my course? its comp science with maths -options in software eng
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University 2015/2016 Admission Session by davskioppy: 6:06pm On Mar 20, 2015
Let us continue on this thread below
https://www.nairaland.com/1943953/2015-2016-oau-aspirant-thread/6#31826706

where are the mods?if u like close am or not
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University 2015/2016 Admission Session by oyetolu: 12:25am On May 06, 2015
U guys u dnt need to worry urself again hv bring u a good news..admission without jamb and post jamb and is international sku..edexcel university benin republic and is very chp just 65k per simeta and it has good course..just chk the sku site www.ubuteduonline.org or www.eduifangni.org..that is where I was graduated as biomedical science and am going to service by the next batch..just call me on 07031152986 for more detains and how to get the form...it very easy to study there
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University 2015/2016 Admission Session by bobbeelzi: 3:33pm On Aug 29, 2015
Could someone please advice me? I applied for Microbiology at OAU. I got 230 in UTME and 236 in POST UTME. When I checked my WAEC it was fine but I had a D7 in Maths and E8 in Biology (which is suprising as English Language and Biology are the 2 subjects I NEVER fail). Can someone please tell me if I can get provisional admission or tell me about any other option as it would break my heart to waste another year?
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University 2015/2016 Admission Session by bee17(m): 10:49pm On Sep 01, 2015
Pl Admin Can som1 wu his/her aggr. Score is 215 and chose public admin(236) as a course of study cn b given Local government(202) studies as a course to study?...since d courses ar in d same faculty. Tnx
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University 2015/2016 Admission Session by oyetolu: 9:38am On Sep 09, 2015
Am here again ,admission without jamb and a international university ,very chp ,full facility,very easy to get admission ..study in benin republic .edexcel university ..I graduate from the sku as microbiology and we hv many courses such as nursing,MLS, law,computer sci,mass com,accounting,bus adm,economics,public adm,international relationship,etc..with full credited..for more detains chk it on www.edubenin.org or www.eduifangni.org.. Call me on 07031152986,08079913670. Chk dis new paper to kn more about the sku ,,,monday june 1,2015 page 14 about the accreditation of the sku and thursday april 9 ,2015 page 31 about the sku on nigeria tribune ..the sku fees is 70k per semesters for health sci and 60k per semesters fon management courses thks am tolu call me for more detain...I just done my online registration now for NYSC and hv bn given call up number
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University 2015/2016 Admission Session by hausadreturn(m): 1:24pm On Sep 09, 2015
bobbeelzi:
Could someone please advice me? I applied for Microbiology at OAU. I got 230 in UTME and 236 in POST UTME. When I checked my WAEC it was fine but I had a D7 in Maths and E8 in Biology (which is suprising as English Language and Biology are the 2 subjects I NEVER fail). Can someone please tell me if I can get provisional admission or tell me about any other option as it would break my heart to waste another year?
quickly apply for waec or neco gce. It's not too late
Re: Obafemi Awolowo University 2015/2016 Admission Session by mercy200980(f): 6:24am On Apr 26, 2016
pls o,am a pub admin fresher,I nid freshers in dis field to put me tru wit dis ongoin oau's reg,so confused 08098557860,tnx n God bless

(1) (Reply)

Sokoto State University Increases Tuition By 100%, Gives Students 7Day Ultimatum / Mubarak Opeyemi Thanni: UNIOSUN Best Graduating Student Speaks / Abdulkabir Aliu Scholarship 2017/2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.