Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,143 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:06 AM

Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) (120898 Views)

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture / Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by VickyRotex(f): 8:53pm On Feb 25, 2015
PenSniper:

Congrats.

Hummm. Thank you ooo
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by Nobody: 8:54pm On Feb 25, 2015
Queen1:
tpiar

Bidemi is not an amutorunwa name.

It's a general name describing the family situation at the time of birth, like most other Yoruba names.

The amutorunwa names are what the child itself brings with him, naturally. I think Abidemi is more of an Abiso right? Dats my name sha!
MY FELLOW BIDEMIcheesy

ANYWAYS BIDEMI IS A NAME GIVEN TO SOMEONE WHOSE FATHER WAS NOT AROUND AT THE TIME OF THEIR BIRTH.IT'S UNISEX.

THE FULL NAME IS ENI A BI DEMI.BUT IT'S USUALLY CALLED ABIDEMI OR BIDEMI.

1 Like

Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by gatiano(m): 8:55pm On Feb 25, 2015
Line of Human sciences.

All African names and indiginous black names are eternal which also include the muslim names. Be very proud of them. and best leave it as "Tunde".

VickyRotex:

Hiun Tunday abi Tunaday!!! wonder, wonder, wonder... Never heard of such meaning. I gats start calling all the Tunde's *Tunaday* Tuna na fish sha. grin

Winsh course you study abeg

1 Like

Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by VickyRotex(f): 9:00pm On Feb 25, 2015
gatiano:
Line of Human sciences.

All African names and indiginous black names are eternal which also include the muslim names. Be very proud of them. and best leave it as "Tunde".

Abajo!!! smiley

Issorai.... Tuna
Tunde

1 Like

Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by tpiar: 9:22pm On Feb 25, 2015
Egbagirl:

Òkè or Òké (w the ami oke)?

Oke pronounced awkeh
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by Egbagirl(f): 9:23pm On Feb 25, 2015
tpiar:

Oke pronounced awkeh

kk. Thanks! smiley
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by tpiar: 9:25pm On Feb 25, 2015
You're welcome.
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by tpiar: 9:27pm On Feb 25, 2015
GuyFawkes:
ETA OKOis the name given to the 3rd of triplets.
ONI is the name given to a child which at its birth cries incessantly day and night.
OMOPE is a child born later than the normal period.
SALAKO (male) Talabi (female) is a child born with the head and body covered in embryonic membrane.
ABIONA is a child born when the mother is on a journey or on the way home.

Are Salako and Talabi not Muslim names?

Btw the child born with the amniotic sac is Oke.
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by tpiar: 9:29pm On Feb 25, 2015
LewisO:

Madam am i safe?

That's for you to decide.
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by isacolukay(m): 9:48pm On Feb 25, 2015
Idowuogbo:

Lmao! Mind yaself o angry grin

Abeg, I want ur quarrel. My own Idowu trouble for here don do me.
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by felsunseg(m): 9:49pm On Feb 25, 2015
GogetterMD:
Not all families believe in using such names in the southwest
nawa for dat ur family o

1 Like

Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by LewisO: 9:55pm On Feb 25, 2015
tpiar:

That's for you to decide.
I believe am safe, but in other news am not yet safe from you!
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by tpiar: 10:13pm On Feb 25, 2015
LewisO:

I believe am safe, but in other news am not yet safe from myself!

I don't know you, obviously YOU know me.
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by LewisO: 10:18pm On Feb 25, 2015
tpiar:

I don't know you, obviously YOU know me.

I don't know YOu either, but WE are acquaintance!
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by tpiar: 10:33pm On Feb 25, 2015
LewisO:

I don't know YOu either, but I am an acquaintance of somebody else!
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by LewisO: 10:41pm On Feb 25, 2015
@tpiar don't just feel inferior, i gives no fücking damn about u, just because i was just having fun around u think i get-in with u? NO! undecided

Why do quoted me at the first place? undecided
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by holatin(m): 12:05am On Feb 26, 2015
[quote author=boxxy post=31083550][/quote]no na condom I mean
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by holatin(m): 12:06am On Feb 26, 2015
vheMa:
lolzz :d
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by tpiar: 12:26am On Feb 26, 2015
I'm surprised this thread has garnered so many views, the topic is supposed to be common knowledge, or am I missing something?

and, @ fp, the names are not considered uncommon/rare, they're generic or natural.

Oruko Amutorunwa: Uncommon Names In Yoruba Culture

that's incorrect.
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by bareal(m): 8:43am On Feb 26, 2015
abejide1000:
Adigun is also one of the names....it means tall child from heaven. Example is 9ice, which is Adigun Alapomeji, as you can see, the guy is very tall grin
Adigun is not a name from heaven (àmútọ̀runwá). It's a deep traditional sobriquet(ìnagijẹ)or (oríkì)
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by bareal(m): 8:47am On Feb 26, 2015
IYANGBALI:
Iya ngbali....woman that enjoys life. Oyan wa mi wale...bweast find me come home. Fokosere usually given to male children that held their preek during delivery. Idi ileke etc

Ìdí ìlẹ̀kẹ̀ is a dirge to qualify beautiful girls...others are crap
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by IYANGBALI: 8:48am On Feb 26, 2015
bareal:

Ìdí ìlẹ̀kẹ̀ is a dirge to qualify beautiful girls...others are crap
you can lie tongue
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by bareal(m): 8:50am On Feb 26, 2015
mayorall:
Why is my own not there " Kedunwa"

Edun is twins

koedunwa ( Bring twins) is the child before the twins.

Ẹdun is the short form for Ẹdunjọbi and it's another name for Ìbejì (Twins) .
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by bareal(m): 8:51am On Feb 26, 2015
IYANGBALI:
you can lie tongue

What do u know?
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by IYANGBALI: 8:52am On Feb 26, 2015
bareal:

What do u know?
what I tolded you tongue
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by bareal(m): 8:57am On Feb 26, 2015
frainc:

To be honest you are right

What mean another thing in your language
Can mean something else in my language

Laff don kill me here, I no even think am go dat way untill u open my eyes to am

That's why we are so uniquely different here, all the languages in Nigeria have the best representation of character and situations, they give deep expression with meanings that don't even exist in english.
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by bareal(m): 9:09am On Feb 26, 2015
Setaje:

Really. All the aina's I know are females including me! So strange for a man to bear aina undecided

In some parts of Yorùbá land, they consider àìná unisex
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by bareal(m): 9:14am On Feb 26, 2015
tpiar:

Bidemi is not an amutorunwa name.

It's a general name describing the family situation at the time of birth, like most other Yoruba names.

The amutorunwa names are what the child itself brings with him, naturally.

yeah, and in most cases do have an effect in their ways of life.
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by absoluteSuccess: 9:15am On Feb 26, 2015
bareal:

Adigun is not a name from heaven (àmútọ̀runwá). It's a deep traditional sobriquet(ìnagijẹ).
Adi Gun in pluto means 'perfect packaging'. The opposite can be Adiro or Asidi. We share a lot with the world. Greetings from space.
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by bareal(m): 9:23am On Feb 26, 2015
lepasharon:
What does Abiye mean ?

Born to live.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Igbo Kwenu! kwezuo Nu! Join Us If You're Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/Lady / Similoluwa, Sister Of Ooni’s Wife 'Steals Show' With Backside At Royal Event / Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.