Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,887 members, 7,817,613 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:31 PM

Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) (121648 Views)

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / Seven Interesting Facts About The Ancient Yoruba Culture / Some Animal And Birds Names In Yoruba. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by tpiar: 4:20pm On Feb 25, 2015
phocuyelu:

Aina isn't the female verson of Ojo. Ijebus don't bear the name "Ojo"

yes, I just found that out yesterday when researching the names.

but name a male child with his umblical cord round his neck Aina

Aina is supposed to be the female version of Ojo, perhaps the usage varies.

I don't know why though. My name is Aina and I am a man.....hahahahaha.

not your given name no doubt. People don't give those names anymore.

Heard Ainas/Ojos are very stubborn. What is the relationship?

I heard the same. You sound stubborn, so maybe its true.
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by mradjoy(m): 4:20pm On Feb 25, 2015
justhelp:
its same ewa but the cooking is different cos there is one leaf they we cook with it that will give the beans another color.
Is dat so, my children are twins but never cooked dat leaf with their beans before.
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:21pm On Feb 25, 2015
VickyRotex:

Uhnn Oga ooo....

But no one knows if the baby sleeps or cries in the womb na
So how did they come to the conclusion? Knowing that it takes 7 or 8 days to name a child.
Within seven days, the nature of the cry of the baby would have been known to determine what it will be named. Most of these names are no longer fashionable. Even a name like "Okanlawon" (one in many) is rarely used. When used, it is usually informally to refer to a person that does not bear it as his name. A girl that is the only female among male is Okanlawon. The same thing applies to a boy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by tpiar: 4:21pm On Feb 25, 2015
coolebux:
Op that name in this topic "Amutorunwa" in Igbo it simply means "Prick wey senior pikin"

Dunno your intentions of putting it their when you didn't emphasise on it in your post.

One of the premature posts on the front page

the thread is for Yoruba speakers or people who are interested in Yoruba culture.

A mu means brought

T'orun means from heaven

Wa means come or arrive

If you find it disturbing, you can change it to agbetorunwa

2 Likes

Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by professore(m): 4:21pm On Feb 25, 2015
Okay
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by tpiar: 4:22pm On Feb 25, 2015
tiamiyukunle69:
Do people give such names these days?

Not really
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by tpiar: 4:23pm On Feb 25, 2015
dstnd:
go on research on what happened before and after ur birth.

explain further?
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by tpiar: 4:24pm On Feb 25, 2015
freezyprinzy:
Idowu dy wicked die

esu leyin ibeji things abi?

1 Like

Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by tpiar: 4:25pm On Feb 25, 2015
LewisO:
Brito, come and learn Yoruba here! wink

My First sister: Aina smiley

My First brother: Tunde smiley

My second sister: Funmilayo smiley

My second brother: Seyi smiley

Me my Yoruba Oriyomi. smiley

Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by adebisiema(m): 4:25pm On Feb 25, 2015
leke12:
My natural name na Olugbodi(six fingers) be dat. Thanks for d info

There is a believe that they are very lucky businesspeople. (won ni aje)

1 Like

Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by freezyprinzy(m): 4:26pm On Feb 25, 2015
Am telling u naso small small devils
tpiar:

esu leyin ibeji things abi?

1 Like

Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by justhelp(m): 4:27pm On Feb 25, 2015
VickyRotex:

grin

Hiunnn E-Kenny you can cook it right? grin
yes now , why not ? Let just pick a date then we will share it everyone will eat from it even here on NL grin
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by tpiar: 4:27pm On Feb 25, 2015
padeolu:
Team Dada and Ige

Wbt Bidemi- a child born when the father is away from home.

Bidemi is not an amutorunwa name.

It's a general name describing the family situation at the time of birth, like most other Yoruba names.

The amutorunwa names are what the child itself brings with him, naturally.
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by tpiar: 4:28pm On Feb 25, 2015
adebisiema:

There is a believe that they are very lucky businesspeople. (won ni aje)

think I've heard something like that.
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by tpiar: 4:28pm On Feb 25, 2015
freezyprinzy:
Am telling u naso small small devils

I've heard it but haven't really noticed per se, save in a particular id here on nl.

probably they have to fight for attention since the twins might have taken the lion's share.

1 Like

Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by Nobody: 4:30pm On Feb 25, 2015
LewisO:
Brito, come and learn Yoruba here! wink

My First sister: Aina smiley

My First brother: Tunde smiley

My second sister: Funmilayo smiley

My second brother: Seyi smiley

Me my Yoruba Oriyomi. smiley

Present
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by tpiar: 4:31pm On Feb 25, 2015
tyconcepts:
I want Taiwo, Kehinde, Idowu & Alaba so help me God....

not sure, but I think alabas are easy going . . . . . . . .
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by tpiar: 4:32pm On Feb 25, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:
There is a name given to a child that sleeps during the day, but cries at night. I can't remember it.

OrlandoOwoh:

I watched it last year on Oodua TV. There is even a name given to a child sleeps at night, but cries in the day.

is it Oni?
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by Nobody: 4:32pm On Feb 25, 2015
VickyRotex:

I have Kehinde already grin

I can adopt you as my e-Kehinde after proper screening cool
u be kehinde or Vicky tongue,Na now u know say u be kehinde...I know u don't let people call u that
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by Nobody: 4:35pm On Feb 25, 2015
My two brothers are 'olugbodi'. Born with six fingers. One can still the tiny stub there bearing d mark of the sixth finger cut off immediately at birth.

But who bears such names in this century? ( except for taiwo and kehinde tho)
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:36pm On Feb 25, 2015
tpiar:

is it Oni?
Maybe, I don't remember.
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by bokohalal(m): 4:36pm On Feb 25, 2015
I am a surviving twin and called Kehinde. Growing up, my two younger sisters were sometimes called IDOWU and ALABA. With time, the names became replaced by their Edo names and has remained so. I am still KEHINDE to everyone.
tpiar:

these are not names given by the parents or family, they are names the child is born with and yes, most people do not bear the names these days.

It is not uncommon in Edo to have TAIWO and KEHINDE but IDOWU And ALABA are rare and only close family members sometimes call them that.
AJAYI ,OJO, AINA and IGE (IGIE) are even rarer now though some older folks still bear such.
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by Gboliwe: 4:38pm On Feb 25, 2015
frainc:

To be honest you are right

What mean another thing in your language
Can mean something else in my language

Laff don kill me here, I no even think am go dat way untill u open my eyes to am

That man is a clown grin but he is saying the truth.
You know what the name "Olaniyi" means in Igbo? The day I heard that name I was just pitying the bearer.

@topic: Nothing beats culture. This is very educating. This OP, is it the Tpia of old? Or someone is cloning her?
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by tpiar: 4:38pm On Feb 25, 2015
VickyRotex:

Uhnn Oga ooo....

But no one knows if the baby sleeps or cries in the womb na
So how did they come to the conclusion? Knowing that it takes 7 or 8 days to name a child.

it might be because the child is doing things the opposite way from what normally obtains.

Babies tend to sleep in the day and cry at night. A child who sleeps at night and cries during the daytime, would be unusual.

just guessing the reason, Oni might not strictly be a natural name, but it's close.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by VickyRotex(f): 4:41pm On Feb 25, 2015
Ipledge:
u be kehinde or Vicky tongue,Na now u know say u be kehinde...I know u don't let people call u that

Bro, I no be Kehinde, I be Taiye... I get twin bro ni.... Besides, people call me Taiye.... Thats the name am mostly called. why wont I let people call me my amutorunwa name sad
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by Nobody: 4:41pm On Feb 25, 2015
phocuyelu:

Aina isn't the female verson of Ojo. Ijebus don't bear the name "Ojo" but name a male child with his umblical cord round his neck Aina; I don't know why though. My name is Aina and I am a man.....hahahahaha. Heard Ainas/Ojos are very stubborn. What is the relationship?
no wonder in tribute to Dagrin by olamide "Dagrin somo pe Omo ijebu o kin je ojo"
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by tpiar: 4:41pm On Feb 25, 2015
Gboliwe:

You know what the name "Olaniyi" means in Igbo? The day I heard that name I was just pitying the bearer.

Igbo itself means weed or forest in Yoruba, but the context of a discussion is what matters, not the meaning in another language.

3 Likes

Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by jojomario(m): 4:42pm On Feb 25, 2015
oluswaggz:
aresejabata!!
araparegangan

1 Like

Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by Ninilowo(m): 4:42pm On Feb 25, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:
There is a name given to a child that sleeps during the day, but cries at night. I can't remember it.
Its Ojo (male) and Aina (female)

1 Like

Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by Nobody: 4:42pm On Feb 25, 2015
VickyRotex:

Bro, I no be Kehinde, I be Taiye... I get twin bro ni.... Besides, people call me Taiye.... Thats the name am mostly called. why wont I let people call me my amutorunwa name sad
i been dey dream sorry
Re: Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture) by bokohalal(m): 4:43pm On Feb 25, 2015
Gboliwe:

@topic: Nothing beats culture. This is very educating. This OP, is it the Tpia of old? Or someone is cloning her?
I would like to know too because tpia@ only likes to come up to a thread to throw tantrums.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Igbo Architecture | Ụlọ omé n'Ìgbò / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.