Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,753 members, 7,809,890 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:37 PM

Literature Of The Yester Years - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Literature Of The Yester Years (470 Views)

The Need To See Literature Differently / Literature Section's Story of the Month Awards (January) / Open Letter To Literature-landers- By D9ty7. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Literature Of The Yester Years by umukorophillip(m): 6:25pm On Feb 25, 2015
,THE PROBLEM I HAVE WITH WOLE SOYINKA. If I were in the days of Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka, Christopher Okigbo, J P Clark, Amos Tutuola, D.A. Fagunwa,Cyprian Ekwensi, etc.- when they started engaging in the business of oral and written literature; basically, on the big subjects of imperialism, independence,Slavery and racism, I would have been in the list of those selected for Lord Alfreld's awards for African literary voices and,paradventure, I could have been chosen as the most successful literary giant among them all-(over Soyinka). When they, the aforementioned, started philosophising, the society was infinitesimal; the citizenry were ignoramus, thus, the intellectuals and intelligentials had no contendants to contend with in the race of academic adventure. Practically speaking,they read few books: uncircumcised-dramatic works of shakespeare, adulterated poems of T.S Elliot, nonsensical works of Charles Dickens and the unreliable poetics of Aristotle. But I almost read all the renowned theorists (=ranging from classicism to post-post-modernism) The government representatives begged the selected ancestors to go to school; in fact, the government gave them scholarship.But for my part and my brothers... we had to pay the bourgeoisies,so that we could go to school.And till date, we are still paying. My generation beg government,so that they can go back to school.The problem I have with Wole Soyinka and the likes of him is that they should stop spelling home on the young literary intellectuals.Rather, they should encourage us on how to pencil down on literary adventure as Ulli Bleir had taught them in the University college, Ibadan. If the society wants to have a crop of intellectuals in the next two generations, then they should start now to encourage the youths to engage in inter and intra-collegiate-literary-competition. As for me, I have done my part in the literary world.But, together we can save the literary world from exinction.,

(1) (Reply)

Nature Speaks / Can Any English Speaker Help Me To Revise This Email / Living Without Knowing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.