Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,093 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:08 AM

Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie (2571 Views)

Fergie Wants Van Perse / Picture Of Carlos Tevez Holding Up 'RIP Fergie' Sign / Manchester United Fan Thread: In Fergie We Trust! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by RuuDie(m): 5:37pm On Jan 09, 2009
Eurosport - Fri, 09 Jan 15:40:00 2009

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has launched an astonishing attack on his Manchester United counterpart Sir Alex Ferguson.
The Spaniard claimed United boss Ferguson is "the only manager who will not be punished" for outspoken attacks on referees.

Benitez claimed: "We had a meeting in Manchester with managers and the Football Association about the respect campaign.

"And I was very clear, forget the campaign because Mr Ferguson was killing the referees, killing Mr (Martin) Atkinson, killing Mr (Keith) Hackett."

Benitez is clearly irked by the lenient way he sees Ferguson treated by the FA, and hit back at the Old Trafford chief's complaints about how the fixtures are compiled.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/09012009/58/premier-league-benitez-savages-killer-fergie.html

But the Spaniard's long list of complaints about the world and European champions was not an angry rant. It was a measured, controlled delivery at the media conference ahead of the Barclays Premier League trip to Stoke.

Liverpool are top - and if they win tomorrow they will be six points clear of second-placed Chelsea and 10 ahead of the champions before the pair meet at Old Trafford on Sunday.

Benitez sat with a sheet of paper, unfolded in front of him, from which he read a catalogue of grievances against the Manchester United regime.

Ferguson's complaints about supposed favouritism over fixtures prompted Benitez to say: "I was surprised by what has been said, but maybe they are nervous because we are at the top of the table.

"But I want to talk about facts. I want to be clear, I do not want to play mind games too early, although they seem to want to start."

Benitez believes Ferguson is getting away with attacks on referees which would not be tolerated from other managers.

He said: "All managers need to know is that only Mr Ferguson can talk about the fixtures, can talk about referees and nothing happens.

"We need to know that I am talking about facts, not my impression. There are things that everyone can see every single week.

"Are they under pressure? Maybe they were not thinking that we would be at the top of the table in January. But we are at the top of the table and they are nervous.

"I am not telling the authorities what to do. But I have been here for five years and know how things are going on."

Benitez added: "To hear someone talking when he has problems with referees every single week, and now complaining about the fixtures and complaining about everything, I think that is not fair.

"You can see every week how they put (referees) under pressure, we know this. We have seen it before.

"We have seen players sent off at Old Trafford and we do not see our opponents sent off.

"It is part of the game. But to complain and to always have an advantage is not fair.

"During the respect campaign, and this is a fact, Mr Ferguson was charged by the FA for improper conduct after comments made about Martin Atkinson and (the FA's) Keith Hackett.

"He was not punished. He is the only manager in the league that cannot be punished for these things.

"How can you talk about the respect campaign and criticise the referee every single week.

"Then he was talking about the fixtures. Two years ago we were playing a lot of early kick-offs away on Saturdays when United were playing on Sundays - and we didn't say anything.

"Now he is complaining about everything, that everybody is against United. But the second half of the season will see them playing at home against all the teams at the top of the table, it is a fantastic advantage.

"But at Christmas, United played on December 29 and the rest of the teams played on the 28th. We were away against Newcastle two days after playing Bolton. They were playing about 40 hours later, they were not complaining then.

"If he wants to talk about fixtures, and have a level playing field as you say in England. There are two options if we don't want more problems.

"One is (to have the same system) as in Spain, the draw for the first part of the league is known, everyone knows which weekend. In the second half everyone plays the opposite, so you all know.

"Sky and Setanta have the rights to choose their games and it will be the same for everyone. So Mr Ferguson will not be complaining about fixtures and a campaign against United.

"There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Benitez finished off by criticising the conduct of United officials when Liverpool play matches at Old Trafford.

He added: "We know what happens every time we go to Old Trafford and the United staff.

"They are always going man-to-man with the referees, especially at half-time when they walk close to the referees and they are talking and talking, "
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by tocdee(m): 6:17pm On Jan 09, 2009
Spot On!! Gotta love this guy. I think he just voiced what every other EPL manager has been afraid to say (though many have muttered in the past). Can almost see Fergie spitting ale all over his telly watching that!

Here's the video

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xAyVzTW8StA
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by mukina2: 6:20pm On Jan 09, 2009
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

so many truths these days
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by akpos4uall(m): 6:32pm On Jan 09, 2009
I agree with most of those comments by Benitez. It is the bitter truth.
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by Sauron1: 6:47pm On Jan 09, 2009
mukina2:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

so many truths these days

Can't wait for Fergie's reply to this baseless accusation.
Even with Fergie's tough fixtures, Liverpool are only 1 point ahead of Man Utd if the boys from OT win their 2 HOME games in hand.
Benitez should better focus on how he would win the league title after EIGHTEEN YEARS. . . . .
He cannot win mind games against Fergie unless he wants to go for anutha surgery in the coming months.
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by doyin13(m): 6:51pm On Jan 09, 2009
hehehehe. . .

Almost reminiscent of Keegan's breakdown in the mid '90's

albeit a bit more controlled.
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by Sauron1: 6:58pm On Jan 09, 2009
doyin13:

hehehehe. . .

Almost reminiscent of Keegan's breakdown in the mid '90's

albeit a bit more controlled.

Care to tell us what happened to Keegan after his brainless remarks. . . . .
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by A40(m): 7:02pm On Jan 09, 2009
Lol i have a funny clip on the Utd vs Liverpool game at OT last season  grin grin Utd fans would sue me if i posted it on NL  grin grin

Benitez is damn funny but he has a point i can remember Liverpool always having funny early kick off fixtures a couple of seasons back
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by Moonstone(f): 7:06pm On Jan 09, 2009
What da heck? Benitez should stop gulping that hatorade. I don't know why he's so bothered. His team is doing well enough and I think he should be more focused on that than attacking his counterpart. angry

A-40, post any stupid clip and I'm sending 5 grenades to you angry angry tongue
I'm allergic to all this hating jare!
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by tocdee(m): 7:45pm On Jan 09, 2009
Moonstone:

What da heck? Benitez should stop gulping that hatorade. I don't know why he's so bothered. His team is doing well enough and I think he should be more focused on that than attacking his counterpart. angry

A-40, post any stupid clip and I'm sending 5 grenades to you angry angry tongue
I'm allergic to all this hating jare!

Its not hating!! Its funny!! Anyway, things were getting really boring after Jose left. grin
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by dayokanu(m): 7:58pm On Jan 09, 2009
@Topic,

It is very true and he gave his argument logically and scientifically too.

@A40, Muki already posted the video you are hiding check Man utd thread

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-196592.2528.html#msg3284936
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by debosky(m): 8:24pm On Jan 09, 2009
Just watched the interview on sky sports. Benitez was prepared for this big time - he brought out a sheet fof paper and started reeling off Fergie's offenses one after the other. Classic grin

Don't think this is a meltdown though - he's basically putting pressure on refs and the FA to punish any misbehaviour of Fergie. If there's a bust up on Sunday and Fergie doesn't get punished, more and more people will believe this is the case. Benitez is loving being on top, it gives him the ability to talk down at everyone else.

That said, Benitez is an even bigger complainer than JM ever was - Benitez complains about fixtures, refs, transfer fees, owners, name it. Methinks he is simply a bit jealous Fergie is usurping him as the biggest complainer. By complaining about Fergie, he's regained his position as the premiership's whiniest manager. grin
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by tocdee(m): 8:38pm On Jan 09, 2009
debosky:
Just watched the interview on sky sports. Benitez was prepared for this big time - he brought out a sheet fof paper and started reeling off Fergie's offenses one after the other. Classic ;DDon't think this is a meltdown though - he's basically putting pressure on refs and the FA to punish any misbehaviour of Fergie. If there's a bust up on Sunday and Fergie doesn't get punished, more and more people will believe this is the case. Benitez is loving being on top, it gives him the ability to talk down at everyone else.That said, Benitez is an even bigger complainer than JM ever was - Benitez complains about fixtures, refs, transfer fees, owners, name it. Methinks he is simply a bit jealous Fergie is usurping him as the biggest complainer. By complaining about Fergie, he's regained his position as the premiership's whiniest manager. grin
Very true BUT Whining is the name of the game and I still think Wenger tops that list. That said, Fergie takes his to another level: verbally attacking the FA, referees and even demanding to see the Referees Chairman personally! Can you even imagine poor little Gareth Southgate spitting stuff like that? The bloke will receive a season-long ban!
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by Sauron1: 8:47pm On Jan 09, 2009
debosky:

Just watched the interview on sky sports. Benitez was prepared for this big time - he brought out a sheet fof paper and started reeling off Fergie's offenses one after the other. Classic  grin

Did u notice his arms twitching?? grin grin grin grin

Don't think this is a meltdown though - he's basically putting pressure on refs and the FA to punish any misbehaviour of Fergie. If there's a bust up on Sunday and Fergie doesn't get punished, more and more people will believe this is the case. Benitez is loving being on top, it gives him the ability to talk down at everyone else.

Rafa has cracked and he has eclipsed Wenger's voyeurism by pulling out a sheet of paper from his pocket to drive his points.
I cannot(for the life of me) imagine Fergie pulling out a piece of paper to read about Gerrard's dives and Mascherano's petulance.
This is hilarious , i've not seen a manager meltdown like that since Keegan.
He's supposed to be portraying calmness and a sense of purpose to his players and his club.
Instead he produces his document with all the stuff he's taken the time to research (or had someone else do it).

How will that play to his own players. How telling is it that he advises Scolari to play zonal against the United staff.
Its meant as a joke but it gives away his real feelings that he is desperate for a Chelsea win this weekend.
He knows the fixtures and the fact Liverpool are not in the clear means United are the ones to beat.
Rafa is barely able to contain his temper and the body language is a dead give away.
Totally and utterly rattled. Well done SAF. Another one bites the dust.

Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by Emperoh(m): 8:50pm On Jan 09, 2009
I hope rafa is ready for the dust he's just raised
Because mind games are fergies mettle

everyone cries foul of mal treatment and Fergie ain't an exception
Suddenly no one is saying anythoing about our fixturethis season
No one remembered how the ref goofed when we played pompey in the semis during last season's fa cup semi final
Fergie was just banned fron the touchline and fined  by the FA, he or no one remembered that abi?

Rafa should find out from Arsene Wenger what it was like when it was just him and Fergie
He hasn't stopped thanking Maureen from saving him from Fergie
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by akinalabi(m): 9:04pm On Jan 09, 2009
Rafa is cracking an Fergie hasn't even started. grin grin grin

Fergie is god.
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by tocdee(m): 9:11pm On Jan 09, 2009
~Sauron~:

Did u notice his arms twitching?? grin grin grin grin

Rafa has cracked and he has eclipsed Wenger's voyeurism by pulling out a sheet of paper from his pocket to drive his points.
I cannot(for the life of me) imagine Fergie pulling out a piece of paper to read about Gerrard's dives and Mascherano's petulance.
This is hilarious , i've not seen a manager meltdown like that since Keegan.
He's supposed to be portraying calmness and a sense of purpose to his players and his club.
Instead he produces his document with all the stuff he's taken the time to research (or had someone else do it).

How will that play to his own players. How telling is it that he advises Scolari to play zonal against the United staff.
Its meant as a joke but it gives away his real feelings that he is desperate for a Chelsea win this weekend.
He knows the fixtures and the fact Liverpool are not in the clear means United are the ones to beat.
Rafa is barely able to contain his temper and the body language is a dead give away.
Totally and utterly rattled. Well done SAF. Another one bites the dust.

Yes 'well done SAF'- for farting, we also adore you when your tricks, bullying and cheating are exposed methodically, calmly and on a piece of paper. Thou can do no wrong  tongue tongue tongue
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by Sauron1: 9:20pm On Jan 09, 2009
tocdee:

Yes 'well done SAF'- for farting, we also adore you when your tricks, bullying and cheating are exposed methodically, calmly and on a piece of paper. Thou can do no wrong  tongue tongue tongue

Rubbish talks. . . . . . .
So in your eyes, Fergie bullied his way to win UEFA in Moscow and the World Club Championship??
Your manager is a whinger. grin

akinalabi:

Rafa is cracking an Fergie hasn't even started.  grin  grin  grin

Fergie is god.

What's even more baffling is that Benitez normally comes across as smart, boring yes, but smart.
If this is how he prepares his work, i for one has been thoroughly fooled.

His opening statement far precedes his grasp of English, it might be translated by someone else, but still it made me like i haven't since watching Avram Grant having his own muppet show on the sidelines.
Not that long ago, but still, I thought the PL's managers were arranging a borefest until this.

To have prepared (no rehearsing i hope) such a shamble of an attack with contradictory points to boot, and to perform it with such poor conviction, well, fantastic TV anyway.
I've never seen a manager with a script before, that's got to be the first.
What's next, a box on the back like Bush had? If he was my boss i would seriously start to think he was out of his depth. I'm at a loss of words.

I completely agree that it's an attempt at create a siege mentality, but i've never seen it performed so awkwardly.
The problem is: how convincing can it be with a prepared script? IMO an epic failure
I'll destroy my F5 button in anticipation for SAF's reply, this has potential to be comedy gold.

Keegan = Rafa
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by HNIC(m): 9:22pm On Jan 09, 2009
Emperoh:

No one remembered how the ref goofed when we played pompey in the semis during last season's fa cup semi final

@ Emperoh
Semi final?
No way.
Pompey didnt meet Manure in the Semi final.
Pompey played West Brom in the semis.
While cardiff played Boro in the other semi
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by chamotex(m): 11:46pm On Jan 09, 2009
Benitez is a dumb ass . . . The man is cracking up already.

Fergie would be laughing in his office right now that he got a reaction from Rafa, that was the whole point. Benitez has shown a hint of weakness for cracking.

He even went on to contradict himself. First he said Fergie was given a touchline ban and the next minute he's saying Fergie cannot be punished. The man has lost his plot. He's sitting at the top of the table, so I don't know what he's worried about . . . . . . . . Oh United of course. grin

As United fans, we are all used to these sort of attacks left, right and centre. It's not a new thing.

Let's see who comes out on top. cheesy

*Did y'all see the way he was sweating during that interview? Rafa's really feeling the pressure* grin
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by akinalabi(m): 12:03am On Jan 10, 2009
@ sauron,

That picture gave me memories of Keegan.

"I'll lov it if we beat 'em. . . Lov it"  grin  grin
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by Sauron1: 12:58am On Jan 10, 2009
akinalabi:

@ sauron,

That picture gave me memories of Keegan.

"I'll lov it if we beat 'em. . . Lov it"  grin  grin

It's looking more like anutha United season.
Everytime a manager cracks like this. . . . . .Fergie takes the title.
Benitez?? He is done!!! grin
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by Nobody: 2:14am On Jan 10, 2009
I thought Potato head would wait till the pressure got cranked up a notch.He's not even half as intelligent as I give him credit for.
Whatever happens,there's no manager who doesn't complain.Fergie will respond but after the crucial game tomorrow.It may not be Keegan-esque,but it's a sign he's getting cracked up.Funny I thought he could play mind games,the way he kept one-upping JM.
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by Akolawole(m): 10:26am On Jan 10, 2009
@Debo, Akin and Jackal

I have never seen anybody attacking SAF like that Not even JM.

I think FA is going to fine him

But on a more serious note, some of his facts are correct.

what ya think?
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by Nobody: 10:38am On Jan 10, 2009
Akolawole
Permit me to say this.
Maybe he's right about Fergie in some aspects.
But the truth is,he appears to be cracking.
Fergie fired the "nerve" jibe.All he had to do was look away or pay no attention.
Now everything he says or does,till the end of the season at least,just like Keegan,will be a reference to that rant(if I may call it that) should Liverpool fail to win the title.
He could be charged,because he inferred that the FA was favouring Fergie.
I hope he can handle the mind games wiht Fergie,because I'm don buy bad market.Na wahala him dey find.
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by A40(m): 11:13am On Jan 10, 2009
Its about time Benitez joined in the fray jor!! just when i started thinking he was a nerd and a weakling of a coach i mean for a coach that has had the kind of success he has had he has been too quiet for too long his allegations where at least 80% right and he was really calm and non-chalant about his submission which i liked if he is going to ever win this league it is time to start playing those mind-games,Mourinho and Wenger played it to an extent and they where successful let him go ahead
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by tkb417(m): 12:20pm On Jan 10, 2009
Just watched the interview on sky sports. Benitez was prepared for this big time - he brought out a sheet fof paper and started reeling off Fergie's offenses one after the other. Classic

That said, Benitez is an even bigger complainer than JM ever was - Benitez complains about fixtures, refs, transfer fees, owners, name it. Methinks he is simply a bit jealous Fergie is usurping him as the biggest complainer. By complaining about Fergie, he's regained his position as the premiership's whiniest manager.
debo i think this ur post is classic. cant say it berra

do u guys remember how Keegan started his rubbish? Benitez will only be a point ahead of SAF if we win our outstanding games and he still needs to come play at OT. Hes already talking about the game at OT cos he feels this title might eventually go to OT again

The guy is scared of losing this title to Fergie. for all i care, we can go trophyless this season and no one will attack SAF, but can Benitez afford to lose this one? lets see how it goess
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by tocdee(m): 12:29pm On Jan 10, 2009
Man, we've got real idiots on this thread; attacking Benitez, ridiculing Keegan and worshipping Alex BUT neglecting the issue being addressed here. You can either say he's right or wrong without having to pretend you ever saw Keegan's protest ( hell most of you here just heard about it yesterday). anyway let's hear from an ex-ref who was fergie's friend:

Benitez: Backed by Poll

Former Premier League referee Graham Poll agrees that Sir Alex Ferguson receives lenient treatment from the Football Association.

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez launched an astonishing attack on his Manchester United counterpart on Friday.

Benitez claimed Ferguson does not get punished sufficiently for his sometimes outspoken criticism of match officials.

Poll enjoyed a good relationship with Ferguson during his time as a referee but believes the Scot does get preferential treatment from FA disciplinary chiefs.

"Rafa Benitez has articulated what referees have been thinking for years - that Sir Alex Ferguson can say what he wants about them and the FA will allow him to get away with it," Poll told the Daily Mail.

"The authorities could point to Ferguson's two-match ban imposed earlier this season as proof that he is not out of reach of their disciplinary department, but that was for marching onto the field after the 4-3 win over Hull and for comments made directly to the referee, Mike Dean, who in reporting the misconduct forced the FA's hand."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4773786,00.html

Now that's the way to argue. cool
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by codedguy1(m): 12:31pm On Jan 10, 2009
Its obvious beyond reasonable and unreasonable doubt that Benitez is running scared. He himself cant believe he is on top in jan.
What better time to throw tantrums at Fergie when we are bout to play another threat to liverpools campaign. It looked like he wasn't even sure of himself, having 2 bring a hard cover book from his pocket like someone cheating in an exam to reiterate his points.
We will be waiting 4 him at OT, to finally comfirm his fears.
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jan 10, 2009
@tocdee,
What exactly is the issue?
Is a two-match ban not heavy enough?Or maybe you would like a season-long ban.
And are you taking Poll seriously?
Poll?
The jackass who gave a player three yellow cards?At the World Cup?Who probably won't know his left from right?Is that your point of reference?
Don't get it twisted.The reference to Keegan was because he (Keegan) was feeling the pressure at the time.I think Benitez is too.Why couldn't he look away and focus on keeing his team at the top of the league?
Believe it or not,Benitez has made himself the center of all eyes by that rant.Liverpool will have to win the title for us to take him seriously,or else,he'll be remembered as the guy that cracked up midway through the season.
Don't see anybody worshipping Fergie here.I criticize him a lot.But right now Benitez should be smart enough to know it's all MIND GAMES.
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by tkb417(m): 12:56pm On Jan 10, 2009
Man, we've got real idiots on this thread; attacking Benitez, ridiculing Keegan and worshipping Alex BUT neglecting the issue being addressed here. You can either say he's right or wrong without having to pretend you ever saw Keegan's protest ( hell most of you here just heard about it yesterday). anyway let's hear from an ex-ref who was fergie's friend:

one ill say, its either ure the father of all idiots if u cannot understand the premise behind the reference to the Keegan saga

two, the point is Benitez is cracking up because SAF made a legit protest as regards the fixture. I'm sure Benitez was not the first person to air views as regards what SAF said about the fixture. did you read Wengers comments? can we draw a parallel between the 2 comments? why should Benitezs view count and not Wengers?
Use your sences when arguing

Having to agree with what Benitez is saying makes u a fool because all u need to do is check the disciplinary records against SAF and compare it to other managers in the EPL. ( u can use 5 years since Benitez has only been here for 5 years).

culling responses from well known retards wouldnt make ur arguement a reasonable one.
thats the way imbeciles argue. I'm sure u know that grin
Re: Benitez Savages 'killer' Fergie by tkb417(m): 12:58pm On Jan 10, 2009
Eastbay
can u imagine comments from Poll is being taken seiously? thts the height of madness on this blog

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Peter Odemwingie, English Premier League Player Of The Month(September) / Illuminati Again?? Spotted At Juventus FC Stadium In Turin Italy / UCL: Lyon Vs Real Madrid (0 - 2) On November 2nd 2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.