Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,818 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:44 AM

Appeal To Paypal - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Appeal To Paypal (1340 Views)

Court Of Appeal Website Hacked After Shiites' Killing / Good News: Nigerians About To Have Full Access To Paypal / Better Alternatives To Paypal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Appeal To Paypal by Afam4eva(m): 8:59pm On Jan 10, 2009
I feel we Genuine Internet business should join heads so that we can Appeal to paypal to allow Nigerians in such a way that Fraudsters will not be able to use it. Because we can't continue like this.
Re: Appeal To Paypal by Nobody: 10:23am On Jan 12, 2009
Good suggestion maybe we could create a website or forum where Nigerians can meet and protest agaisnt paypal Nigeria is not the only country where they are Fraudsters i rest my case now let others say something
Re: Appeal To Paypal by OmniPotens(m): 10:31am On Jan 12, 2009
You are just nobody to them unless when you talk about strong corporate bodies like bank. You can now talk about CBN moving for the integration and stuffs like that.

That's my2cents for now wink
Re: Appeal To Paypal by abhosts(m): 1:18pm On Jan 12, 2009
Paypal no send Nigeria. Abi na by force. Abeg make you leave them.
Re: Appeal To Paypal by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:34pm On Jan 12, 2009
a better suggestion will be to set a law that gives 30yrs imprisonment for online fraud or a fine of N1million regardless of the loss incurred by the victim and a death sentence by hanging if the person is a second time offender.  I hate fraudsters with their expensive phones, cheap and phoney yankee accent, stupid swagger and cool rides.  angry

That out of the way, the paypal problem is just a symptom of a much larger and more difficult problem called 'Nigeria'
1: We have a credibility problem - owing to the corruption industry, so that brings up a credibility issue since we have taken time to spread our talent for fraud globally
2: We have a Brand problem - rather than look inwards to institute a framework for better business with tighter financial checks and balances, we have opted for a vociferous information minister to shout how many good nigerians exists compared to bad ones (there will be more sinners in hell than the righteous in heaven). You cannot shit in plain view under the sun then run to the shade of a bush to wipe your arse and not expect the shit to be dried-up to you butt-cheeks  grin We need to look inwards and solve the social problems that cause our technology problems
3: We have a knowledge problem - and what did Japan do after the atom bomb? , they went back to school, abroad!! we sit here with hundreds of scientsts who grow grey-haired and old by the second recommending Nuclear technology when the senate is barely getting to terms with fuel generators that kill hundreds in lagos yearly.

Our satellites willalways crash and our SAT 3 cable break, and our national website go down until we solve our core problems first
1: Food
2: Housing
3: Security

with that you can get better education (read without hunger in your stomach) and be sure that some Secondary-school dropout will not accidently discharge an AK-47 bullet to end your illustrious NYSC year in a giffy
Re: Appeal To Paypal by Afam4eva(m): 6:42pm On Jan 12, 2009
I feel we genuine Internet user to come together and create a website and notify paypal about it,then anybody that wan't to do business with paypal will definitely come through us, so there wil be no room for fraudsters.
Re: Appeal To Paypal by yawatide(f): 7:10pm On Jan 12, 2009
larger,

I would go a step further and say they should be executed publicly, at a shooting range. Start with the legs so they feel the pain they have caused, then slowly work it to the shoulders. If they are still alive after that, then you shoot them in the head.

How do you take me now? tongue
Re: Appeal To Paypal by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jan 12, 2009
I think we should try to create an African paypal alternative. I have thought a lot about doing something like that, unfortunately, I can never get past the security issue. Site like paypal, online stores and auction sites require a certain amount of personal honor.
Re: Appeal To Paypal by Bossman(m): 9:47pm On Jan 12, 2009
As already mentioned, the "real" problem is bigger that the fact that they are worried about fraud. Paypal needs to be able to integrate their system with your bank account seamlessly. The need to be able to uniquely identify and verify/authenticate the information you provide. The way our financial institutions operate does not make that possible. I do not even think most Nigerian banks are integrate locally yet. That is, can I open an account at a bank in Lagos, and walk into another branch in Kaduna or so, and be able to withdraw money and perform other transactions. Until all the financial institutions or at least the major ones get to such a level, things will remain the way they are. Some so-called big banks can not even handle international wire transfer. We have a long way to go!
Re: Appeal To Paypal by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:02pm On Jan 13, 2009
@yawa

I would go a step further and say they should be executed publicly, at a shooting range. Start with the legs so they feel the pain they have caused, then slowly work it to the shoulders. If they are still alive after that, then you shoot them in the head.

with our justice system (somewhere between a rock and a hard place) they'll probably ask you to prove if the fraudster would not have become rich if he had not engage in yahoo-yahoo. that it what obtains in Nigeria, besides i can swear that some Rights Group will come into the fray to make the fraudster look like a victim (Nwude AKA Brazilian Billionaire)

Step One - Commit the Fraud --> http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/article1055200.ece
Step Two - Get Caught --> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/21/nigerian_fraudsters_jailed/
Step Three - Pretend you are a victim of government harrassment--> http://allafrica.com/stories/200801220417.html

He should be assassinated not just killed grin

@rickky421
Site like paypal, online stores and auction sites require a certain amount of personal honor.
That is why it won't work even if it is Nigeria-driven. we need a security framework that is designed around our social/economic/technology ecosystem. scammers are still scamming with an ordinary piece of plywood with '2-bedroom Flat' and 'Plot in Ajah' available. you want to know bring all that online with an epayment system, my guy Fear God oohh

@Bossman
Financial Institutions in Nigeria are still coming to grips with 'Old technology' spending billions yearly on indian contractors to deploy (not develop) and maintain a banking software (forget that it is called Enterprise). Even Nigerian institutions that have attempted Etransact and Interswitch, you mean to tell me you have not had horrible experiences with our payment systems. the Banks do not exactly have a unified platform or framework or strategy for ePayment infrastructure. they simply think in terms of Bottomline Risk - Bottomline over a Financial Year. they are not looking long-term unless you can guarantee them value (more money) minus excessive risk (fraud). when Banks say the Invest Billions in Technology, do not mistake that for technology that advances our lot. it is just for their Banking systems.
Re: Appeal To Paypal by Afam4eva(m): 11:36am On Jan 14, 2009
rickky421:

I think we should try to create an African paypal alternative. I have thought a lot about doing something like that, unfortunately, I can never get past the security issue. Site like paypal, online stores and auction sites require a certain amount of personal honor.

I chose paypal because it's the most recognized.

Guys i'm very serious about it, and i want everybody to contribute. I've taken it upon myself to design the webiste that we're going to use. So i want to know who's ready to contribute in anyway possible.
Re: Appeal To Paypal by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:57pm On Jan 14, 2009
@afam

Your idea is necessary as it is important. but you might be running ahead of your shoes here and,
I love it that you are PROACTIVE (taking action in anticipation of a situation) on this, shows commitment and will. but i can suggest that we become PREEMPTIVE (Thinking about what action to take in anticipation of a situation)

1: Epayment is only part of the eBusiness Eco-system which involves payment technologies/platforms, distribution/delivery, Recordkeeps, Regulations (government type) as well as a Legal model that ensures that the same way you resolve cash-payment issues when a purchase goes south is as painless or (painful) as the e-cash one

2: You may be thinking of first doing a Business Case that clearly shows (a) Feasibility (b) Risks/Challenges (c) Benefits/Costs (d) Recommendations (e) Requirements from all stakeholders involved (Developers/Businessmen/Banks/Courier/Customers/Platform Providers/ISPs/Merchants)

3: You will need some switching system in place (sort of like Interswtich) to ensure that people setup as merchants get paid and banks pay out into naijapal grin account etc

4: You shall need sponsors (Government, Bank, ISP) and a stash of funds to get it rolling
Re: Appeal To Paypal by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jan 14, 2009
afam4eva:

I chose paypal because it's the most recognized.

Guys i'm very serious about it, and i want everybody to contribute. I've taken it upon myself to design the webiste that we're going to use. So i want to know who's ready to contribute in anyway possible.

I will help any way I can. I have a paypal account and it truly simplifies your life. I actually look first to see if paypal is accepted first before I order anything. Fast and easy to use.

You must come up with something that convinces paypal that the fraud will be kept to a minimum. Like I pointed out, coming up with something that keeps the fraudsters at bay is tough. Even in America there is fraud.
Re: Appeal To Paypal by lagoshost(m): 12:02am On Feb 14, 2009
Paypal dose not care about Nigeria and there is nothing you do that will make the accept you.

We can make our own paypal. Have you forgotten that the really guy that designed paypal is from South Africa before ebay bought it over?

Lets get thinking fast my dear friends.

God bless you!
Re: Appeal To Paypal by lagoshost(m): 12:07am On Feb 14, 2009
Paypal dose not care about Nigeria and there is nothing you do that will make the accept you.

We can make our own paypal. Have you forgotten that the really guy that designed paypal is from South Africa before ebay bought it over?

Lets get thinking fast my dear friends.

God bless you!
Re: Appeal To Paypal by Nobody: 2:00pm On Feb 17, 2009
Afam

I support your gesture, Rome was not built in one day, it's even worst by making assumption, let's attempt.
Re: Appeal To Paypal by niyyie(m): 5:42am On Feb 18, 2009
It is not accurate that Paypal needs to integrate with the local banking system in Nigeria before they can allow residents of Nigeria. All they really need are people who have Visa/Mastercard credit or debit cards. I believe fraud is a major factor about why Nigeria is excluded.
Re: Appeal To Paypal by mavtrevor(m): 3:23pm On Feb 20, 2009
You can find out how you can open a paypal account as a Nigerian here
Re: Appeal To Paypal by ttmasta: 1:59pm On Nov 27, 2010
Paypal shakara for Nigerians too much. Haba, wetin we do them? Nigeria is not the only country with Scam artists OK!

Anyway, check this out: http://eCa.sh/forgetpaypal

Verify with your GSM Number, fund @ http://nigeriagoldexchange.com/alertpay.html, Shikena.
Re: Appeal To Paypal by suxes2005(m): 3:25pm On Nov 27, 2010
let's all sign a paypal petition or cr8 our
own nigerian payment gateway and introduce
it to the world, very difficult but achievable

SHALOM

(1) (Reply)

Web Hosting Company, Whogohost Is The Largest Hosting Company In Nigeria / Solution To "Mobileocr Or Cat Studio Have Stopped Working" On Tecno Phones / Sell Your Google Adsense Non Verified Non Hosted Account For 30k..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.