Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,445 members, 7,812,344 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:01 PM

Why Nigerian Artistes Can Never Win The Grammys (opinion) - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Nigerian Artistes Can Never Win The Grammys (opinion) (1007 Views)

10 Nigerian Artistes Who Defy The Usual Lyrics Of Butts And Boobs / Fans Lament Over Empty Seats At Headies As Top Nigerian Artistes Boycott Award / Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigerian Artistes Can Never Win The Grammys (opinion) by Nobody: 9:48pm On Mar 02, 2015
I just recently watched the Grammys and the question i asked myself was, why can't a Nigerian artiste get nominated (i meant 21st century artiste not them femi kuti o)?
at first, i came to the conclusion that "the whites are just doing us ojoro" but thereafter i thought of it deeply and noticed the following faults with our music industry.

Firstly, if u know about the art of music then u'll agree that 90% of our popular artiste are not talented. look at D banj for example, he's popular but is he talented ?

Also, the lyrical content of our songs are just too poor. i respect the fact that Nigerians love to dance but i mean we can't feel like dancing for the whole 365 days in a year, sing meaningful songs!!!

Furthermore, u'll agree with me that our music industry is structured poorly. Young and talented artiste have little or no platform to showcase themselves. The best they could get is to go to project fame in which u see biased judges making wrong decisions.

Record labels also don't want to promote songs that has no "tungba tungba " feeling, and even we Nigerians have this mentality of appreciating the guys that sing thrash music (party jam) more which in turn leads to our meaningful singers turning tungba musicians. Shout out to Iyanya

In addition, our government also has a hand in this, they tend to focus more on oil and then leave other sectors to crawl. (they should get a clue from the U.S, they make billions from entertainment).

and lastly, there is the "Oyinbo ojoro factor" (hating blacks since the time of adam)

BTW grammy board always givin preference to the homo society *coughs* Sam Smi *coughs again*

*Drops Mic*
Re: Why Nigerian Artistes Can Never Win The Grammys (opinion) by wise7(m): 10:10pm On Mar 02, 2015
your opinion is noted
Re: Why Nigerian Artistes Can Never Win The Grammys (opinion) by Nobody: 10:30pm On Mar 02, 2015
Grammy is for america, Kora is for Africa,, Headies is for Nigeria...why must a Nigerian win a Grammy Is like saying why didn't Jay Z get the Headies lyricist on the roll...Learn to appreciate the one you have, I though u were gona suggest we develop our artistes and contents...we don't Need the Grammies,,I love Ma Blackmagic and Jesse Jags...That's all

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerian Artistes Can Never Win The Grammys (opinion) by ejikeme(m): 10:49pm On Mar 02, 2015
Good observations
Re: Why Nigerian Artistes Can Never Win The Grammys (opinion) by Nobody: 11:14pm On Mar 02, 2015
Justdulla:
Grammy is for america, Kora is for Africa,, Headies is for Nigeria...why must a Nigerian win a Grammy Is like saying why didn't Jay Z get the Headies lyricist on the roll...Learn to appreciate the one you have, I though u were gona suggest we develop our artistes and contents...we don't Need the Grammies,,I love Ma Blackmagic and Jesse Jags...That's all
First of all, there are artistes/instructors that are not american and have won grammys and secondly i do appreciate d ones i av, am not just in support of wack music
Re: Why Nigerian Artistes Can Never Win The Grammys (opinion) by Nobody: 11:18pm On Mar 02, 2015
Thavybe:
First of all, there are artistes/instructors that are not american and have won grammys and secondly i do appreciate d ones i av, am not just in support of wack music
. Yeah I understand Brow,buh we still gat some good eggs.afteral the likes of Asa, Dare at Alade, paul play dairo are made in Nigeria...Even The grammies are given to wack artistes atimes.can u tell moi what Lilwayne,nicki, kanye et al sing?, even Beyonce..little sensible lyrics, the rest is thrash talk or rants and before u know, 50million downloads...
Re: Why Nigerian Artistes Can Never Win The Grammys (opinion) by Nobody: 11:41pm On Mar 02, 2015
I want your body sleeping in my bed eh eh grin grin
Re: Why Nigerian Artistes Can Never Win The Grammys (opinion) by ReSexzskilz(f): 1:10am On Mar 03, 2015
cos they are all unknown to the grammys, simple as abcde
Re: Why Nigerian Artistes Can Never Win The Grammys (opinion) by Nobody: 7:43am On Mar 03, 2015
ReSexzskilz:
cos they are all unknown to the grammys, simple as abcde
guess they av to sing better songs to be recognized
Re: Why Nigerian Artistes Can Never Win The Grammys (opinion) by Krasid(m): 1:35pm On Mar 03, 2015
Why should awards like the Grammy and Oscars be used as yardsticks for international stardom.Why not awards like the AMAA and Headies.Africans need to change their mentality and start to support their own to move forward.As long as the those awards are created by Americans, it will be dominated by Americans.We need to start promoting our own.
Re: Why Nigerian Artistes Can Never Win The Grammys (opinion) by lanre316: 5:31pm On Mar 03, 2015
Seriously, you think American songs lyrics are better than Nigerian's. Do you even listen to crap and lewd lyrics that Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj, Drake etc spews out and get Grammy award for. The golden age of hip-hop and popular American songs is gone. Nonsense is what people want and that's what they're getting. As for me I prefer my Nigerian "nonsense" to American "nonsense". So let them hold their Grammy while we hold our Kora. No fighting.
Re: Why Nigerian Artistes Can Never Win The Grammys (opinion) by mczico: 9:03pm On Mar 03, 2015
I go soon blow

(1) (Reply)

German Teenagers Constructed Orgal From 49 Floppy Drivers / "F* You Don Jazzy…I Am Not D'banj" - Olamide YBNL Boss Tweets! (Snapshot) / MUSIC PREMIER: Krizz Kuz - First Of All (prod By Killertunes)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.