Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,792 members, 7,820,784 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:32 PM

I Can't Think Of A Title - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / I Can't Think Of A Title (3018 Views)

Types Of Title On Nairaland / Readers, Give This Story A Title. / If You Were Asked To Write A Book About Your Life, What Would The Title Be? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Can't Think Of A Title by Nobody: 2:28pm On Mar 03, 2015
I don't actually know where this story is going but what the heck. Apologies in advance for any grammar, spelling etc mistakes, I really should read through

Tobi's nostrils flared as she sat restless in the pews, Brother Emeka was preaching this Sunday so it was at all no surprise that service had gone on a whole 35 minutes longer than expected. Of the 10 years she'd known him, it was never like him to adhere to a schedule, “useless” she muttered unintelligibly under her breath and hoped that the aunt sat beside her hadn't heard her insolence.

She stroked her hair, brushing a few loose strands from her face and as discreetly as possible, shifted round to scan the congregation for Eddie. She found him immediately, sat amidst his wife and two children looking as focused as a laser, she wondered if he found the sermon that interesting, she didn't.

A swift pert smirk stretched across her face like a rubber band as she recalled yesterday's events in her head, she had been sleeping with him for at least a month, she didn't love him or anything rather just liked the sex, “Uncle Eddie” she laughed in her head. Snapping out of her thoughts Tobi turned back as grace commenced, she audaciously thanked God it was over and joined in with the 'chant' she knew all too well.

"Surely, goodness and mercy shall follow me, all the days of my life...".

Eddie's wife and kids were to attend Aunt Uju's afternoon baby shower so they had planned to meet after the service at his. She'd told him it would be no problem at all however had strongly maintained that today would need to be quick as she had choir practice at six and couldn't bear to miss it.

Tobi tapped her foot irritably against the pew footstool as she waited for the aunt and couple sat in her row to hasten their conversation and make way. She felt it would be disrespectful to interrupt them so she stayed put and played with her phone. She scanned the congregation again for Eddie, only it took longer as half the congregation were up and about, scattered across the church like confetti, jostling their way through doors, it made her feel claustrophobic and ever more impatient.

“Tobi!”, a familiar voice bellowed from behind, Ada frantically scurried towards the pew Tobi was caged in and leaned over the bar, “Shey you're coming to youth group?” Ada asked, Tobi turned around “Oh, that was today?” brushing away a few more loose strands of hair, “Yes” Ada responded, “Please tell me you're coming, you're 19, not 49” she teased, Tobi rolled her eyes “20 soon actually”, “Whatever you say jo, are you coming or not?” Tobi pursed her lips in a moment of thought, “Nah. I just remembered I have to help my parents with something, I wouldn't mind if it was later sha, sorry”, “But your dad is a Pastor, he will understand”, Tobi didn't respond, Eddie had just messaged and Ada was the last person on her mind, she wouldn't understand. Annoyed by the all too apparent lack of attention she was getting, Ada gave up and shuffled away in dejection, hissing as she stomped away.

“Where are you?”, the message read, Tobi stood up, the aunt and couple were still conversing, she'd been respectful long enough, she grabbed her bag, grazed through the tight space and shot them a sheepish smile, she headed towards her parents to let them know she'd be going to a friend's, it was easy enough. Tobi took off to meet Uncle Eddie, “I have my car, will meet you there x”, she text back.
Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by Nobody: 2:29pm On Mar 03, 2015
Tobi walked hurriedly through the crowd and out into the street. Headed to her car, she fumbled in her clutch in search of her keys, “Na wa!” having located them wedged in the corner; she unlocked the car, flinging the door open.

“Whoa, whoa, what’s the rush? Don’t hurt yourself o”, Tobi spun and found herself facing both Nick and Tolu. “Ba wo, long time no see”, Nick gave her a light pat, his broad face beamed a hearty welcome. “Yeah, yeah it’s been a while”, Tobi smiled lightly in response, “How are you?” her eyes flicked from Nick to Tolu and back. Tolu stood, stagnant, besides his friend, nothing in his expression indicated interest, she shrugged.

“I dey sha, you know how it is” he chuckled, “Where are you going?” he asked “Youth Group?”, she noticed Eddie's car suddenly pass them by and drive into the main road, her attention barely on the conversation. “Huh? Oh, a friend’s” she turned back to the duo, “Modupe’s”, she did not owe it them to specify, but put it to the power of guilt. Tolu shot her an incredulous look, he had probably seen him too, she knew that he knew about Eddie, Tobi smiled, unbothered. “Ok, greet her for me” Nick responded, oblivious. Suddenly, his phone rang “Guys, one sec o”, tapping at his phone he jogged across the road to take the call.

Nick had barely crossed the road when Tolu shot at her, “Is this what you do now?”, Tobi proceeded to enter and start her car, “What are you talking about?” feigning understanding, she shrugged and squinted in confusion, “Prostitutes at least get paid sha” he chuckled, “or are they paying you?”. Tobi whirled suddenly, snapping at his nerve “The same ‘prostitute’ you want shey?”, her eyes and tone were mocking, she saw the barest hint of his nostrils flare as he looked her up and down, his eyes flashed, fierce like blades, trying to keep calm, he stood as if at rest but she could see the slightest tension in his body that betrayed the façade. “And why are you so concerned”?” she questioned. “This one is married, did you know that?” he asked, sardonic with his tone, “Who?” she returned, still feigning. He stared at her and for a moment neither of them moved. Silence pervaded the atmosphere.

“You’re still here!?”, abruptly, they both turned. Nick was jogging back, eyeing the both of them, “I see you’re catching up, hmm, when are you two getting back together? You too dey form” he joked, nudging Tolu in the arm, Tolu was silent. “I was just leaving actually” Tobi murmured, Nick was still fiddling with his phone, “We will see you later”. “Maybe”, Tobi slammed her door and drove off.
Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by Nobody: 2:29pm On Mar 03, 2015
Without giving the road even a single cautionary glance, an irritated Tobi raced down the street, seeing Tolu had sparked a force of emotions and she was finding it hard to concentrate.

Settled behind the wheel, she powered aggressively through paths and curves, letting the tension drain, she drew in a sharp breath and closed her eyes for what seemed a safe half a second when suddenly, she spotted a van coming swiftly down the road in front of her. Her eyes instantly snapped open and fear played in her mind, ‘ye ye ye’ she chanted, she slammed her foot on the brakes, immediately coming to a full stop, sending dirt and rocks flying.

The oncoming van had swerved and eventually also come to a halt, barely inches away from her car. Reality hurled itself into her mind as she kicked herself in her head for being so careless, ‘Ah, Tolu you will not kill me today’, she shook her head and turned to face the van. Clearly unimpressed, the visibly annoyed driver had wound down his screen, began thumping belligerently on her window and chanted something in an unfamiliar dialect she could only assume were insults.

Shamefaced, Tobi shrank sheepishly into her seat; she threw the driver a rueful expression and quickly revolved away from his scowl. Now proceeding to drive like someone with sense, Tobi peeled out of the street and onto the main road.

The drive seemed unending, she was hot, tired and a part of her almost couldn’t be bothered anymore. Finally, she approached and drove up the hill leading into Eddie’s neighbourhood, pulling onto a small dirt road. Killing the engine, Tobi grabbed her clutch and swung out of the car.

‘Procedure’, required that she call before approaching his gate so she reached into her clutch for her phone, almost immediately it began to flash, it was Eddie. “Hel-“, she had barely uttered when he cut in, he sounded annoyed, “Tobi! What’s wrong with your phone?! I’ve been trying to call you haba”, “ She glanced at her phone and saw 8 missed calls from him. And a text. From Tolu?

“Hmm” she thought.

“Sorry, I was driving now”, she lifted the device back to her ear “Why are you shouting?” she asked, kind of annoyed “Moni is on her way back as we speak, let’s meet up some other time”, “Huh?”, she was confused, “Why? What, why? Does she know?!” fear slid through her at the thought of being caught, “No no no, she doesn’t” he assured, “She’s just ill so she isn’t going to the baby shower anymore, thank God she messaged sha. Where are you now?” he probed “Outside your gate, I’m leaving I’m leaving don’t worry”, “Ah, Tobi and I was really looking forward to seeing you, baby let’s meet tomorrow now, tomorrow nko?”, “Nah, I’m busy tomorrow, I’ll call you later, bye”, she ended the call abruptly and she’d admit, quite rudely and got back into her car.

Tobi groaned, leaning back into her chair, she stretched her legs out and quickly flicked through her phone to read Tolu’s text. “Dropping Aunty Moni home, if you’re there I’d advise you leave”. “How thoughtful”, she chortled, Tobi started her engine and her phone flashed again, another text from Tolu, “Where are you?” she read, “Tnks, leaving now actually” she responded back.

She set her phone down, as she turned to pull her seatbelt she recognised the vehicle driving up the hill, watching closely she trailed it to Eddie’s gate. Tolu, Aunt Moni and her kids were in the car. The car stopped and she watched as Tolu stepped out to knock on the gate and a few moments later Walid, the Mallam rushed out, exchanged a few words with him then entered the car and drove it into the compound.

Tolu stood outside the gate, fumbling with his phone, she watched him momentarily, scrutinising. Tobi finally shrugged and turned away, her phone began to flash and she turned to pick it, it was Tolu, again.

“Ode, I thought you were leaving” he crooned, Tolu sounded like he was either joking or angry, or both, she really couldn’t tell with him sometimes. “You can see me?”, she responded, “No sh1t”, he responded, “Ho-?”, she was interrupted by the sound of her door being opened, she turned to face whoever and was greeted by a set of long legs, Tolu was closely pressed against her door and had his arms crossed on the roof of her car. ‘He can’t greet like a normal person?’ she thought, Tobi sat up and waited for him to speak and when he didn’t as she had expected, she spoke. “So…” she began, “Thanks”, Tolu dropped his arms, stepped back and shrugged, “I mean, that was so nice of you to do” she started, “Eddie actually called earlier to warn me too sha but-“, “Eddie?” he interrupted, confused, “who’s Eddie?”, “Brother Edward now” she answered, he snorted in disgust, cutting her off, “Whatever”, “I need a ride, I was gonna grab a taxi back but since you’re still here”.
Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by Nobody: 11:57pm On Mar 03, 2015
The drive was deathly silent and the air held a palpable tension. For a few moments, neither of them spoke a word, until Tolu, unsettled by the spasms of wild speculation running madly through his mind ventured to ask “What were you doing there, Tobi?” she had already anticipated his question and as if on cue, very readily retorted.

“I needed money”.

Her blunt answer surprised him.

“Money? For what?”

“I don’t know”, she laughed. ‘Stuff?”

No shame.

He raised an eyebrow, but didn’t say a word.

The car became silent again, almost eerily motionless, as though they were suspended in time, or rather traffic. As they waited, Tobi hummed a tune to distract herself and help pass the time; she reached to turn on the radio, twisting the tuning knob in mincing little oscillations. Wizkid’s Ojuelegba blasted through the speakers and Tobi gave a deafening squeal and began to sing aloud, much to Tolu’s horror, belting fragments of the song, ‘Ni ojuelegba ohhhhhh’ and humming the parts she couldn’t remember.

Tolu grimaced and furrowed his brows, giving a displeased grunt however try as he did, he could not help but flash a slight grin.

The traffic finally began to pick up and so did the conversation, albeit nothing more than a little small talk but anything was better than the dead silence that had formerly encompassed the atmosphere.

Tobi was in hysterics, chuckling heartily at something he had said, shaking her head and legs. She leaned back into her seat as she drove, causing her dress to inch higher on her thighs and Tolu tried everything to keep from staring. If Tobi realized his dilemma, she said nothing.

Any ill feelings he’d harboured towards her earlier had suddenly disappeared, for the time being anyway, or more specifically for as long as he was within perfect eyeshot of her thighs.

“Konji na bastard”.

About half an hour later, they were in front of his gate. Tobi turned to him, stretching freely, revealing more of her legs, “Buh bye, oh and thanks again sha”, Tolu however was not ready for their meeting to end just yet, he turned to face her, drew in a breath and smiled.

“Ah ahn, won’t you come in?”
Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by kingphilip(m): 5:40am On Mar 08, 2015
I'll come read this later in d day

hope twill b worth my time

1 Like

Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by boynigeria(m): 7:16pm On Mar 08, 2015
loving the storyline...it aint concluded yet so i dont think a title is required yet
u can do a lot more writing plays
Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by Nobody: 7:25pm On Mar 08, 2015
kingphilip:
I'll come read this later in d day

hope twill b worth my time
Hope you enjoy it

boynigeria:
loving the storyline...it aint concluded yet so i dont think a title is required yet
u can do a lot more writing plays
Thank you

Lol true

You think so? Who knows
Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by boynigeria(m): 8:13pm On Mar 08, 2015
1bkaye:

Hope you enjoy it

Thank you

Lol true

You think so? Who knows
it shows all over your writeup
im writing a sitcom(30 mins comedy series)
i could use a good writer
Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by Nobody: 8:27pm On Mar 08, 2015
boynigeria:

it shows all over your writeup
im writing a sitcom(30 mins comedy series)
i could use a good writer
Oh right thanks smiley
Lol I'm not worthy o
Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by boynigeria(m): 8:29pm On Mar 08, 2015
1bkaye:

Oh right thanks smiley
Lol I'm not worthy o
awww, is someone scared of challenge?
Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by Nobody: 8:32pm On Mar 08, 2015
boynigeria:

awww, is someone scared of challenge?
Lol I'm not a professional writer now I just doodle things down when I'm bored/for fun sometimes
Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by boynigeria(m): 8:47am On Mar 09, 2015
1bkaye:

Lol I'm not a professional writer now I just doodle things down when I'm bored/for fun sometimes
that is it (writin for fun)
we are not writing the new physics textbook
its literature so it ought to be fun
all im saying is that u can make cash off fun
so give it a chance
all i need is a realistic writer someone that can write for motion pictures(tv)....someone very original, cant say all d details here though

1 Like

Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by boynigeria(m): 8:49am On Mar 09, 2015
its not like ure gonna write alone, ure gonna write with a team
Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by Nobody: 1:00pm On Mar 09, 2015
boynigeria:

that is it (writin for fun)
we are not writing the new physics textbook
its literature so it ought to be fun
all im saying is that u can make cash off fun
so give it a chance
all i need is a realistic writer someone that can write for motion pictures(tv)....someone very original, cant say all d details here though
I just feel, infact I know I won't be as committed as much as likely required, thanks though smiley
Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by Mhizkel(f): 1:02pm On Mar 10, 2015
Dis story is gonna be wow! Itx intoxicating me already..Plz update mur..we will surely find a perfect title to it
Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by gunpoint(m): 11:06am On Jun 17, 2015
1bkaye:

I just feel, infact I know I won't be as committed as much as likely required, thanks though smiley
Hi
Is this ibkaye of old from jokes section?
Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jun 17, 2015
gunpoint:

Hi
Is this ibkaye of old from jokes section?
Hello gunpoint, yes that's me smiley
Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jun 17, 2015
Mhizkel:
Dis story is gonna be wow! Itx intoxicating me already..Plz update mur..we will surely find a perfect title to it
Thanks! smiley
Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by Mhizkel(f): 6:07pm On Jun 17, 2015
1bkaye:
Thanks! smiley
When are you updating? sad
Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jun 17, 2015
Mhizkel:

When are you updating?
sad
I'll TRY to update this week smiley
Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by Mhizkel(f): 10:20pm On Jun 17, 2015
1bkaye:
I'll TRY to update this week smiley
cheesy cheesy
Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by tjdimmy(m): 2:57pm On Jun 18, 2015
Really fascinating piece, seems i am already writing the concluding part in my head. I feel you should visit 'Dame's Caucus' you will sure find it interesting, cheers to you.
Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by gunpoint(m): 8:00am On Jun 19, 2015
1bkaye:

Hello gunpoint, yes that's me smiley
where did you run off to?
How have you been?
Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by ajumaxbabe(f): 4:18pm On Jun 20, 2015
wow such a wonderful piece! K lemme tink of a title 4 dis stowie ¿¿¿
Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jun 21, 2015
gunpoint:

where did you run off to?
How have you been?
Nowhere now, you're the one who's been missing lol

I've been fine thanks, yourself? smiley
Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jun 21, 2015
ajumaxbabe:
wow such a wonderful piece! K lemme tink of a title 4 dis stowie
¿¿¿
Thanks dear smiley
Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by ajumaxbabe(f): 3:05pm On Jun 22, 2015
1bkaye:
Thanks dear smiley
u r wlc
Ejor kontinu d stowie pls
Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by gunpoint(m): 2:47am On Jun 28, 2015
1bkaye:

Nowhere now, you're the one who's been missing lol

I've been fine thanks, yourself? smiley
hahaha...
you deactivated you ex moniker hence having to use the 1 in ur reincarnated self in place of the I.

could say I miss you-"ish"
followed your blog too for a while but appears you got bored of that too and stopped updating that too after a while.
Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jan 04, 2017
Lost some of my follow up of this story, bbl sha
Re: I Can't Think Of A Title by ibkayee(f): 12:14am On Nov 04, 2017

(1) (Reply)

OMG !! Jason Derulo Pose Completely Nak*d (pic) / Helon Habila Leads Fidelity Bank International Creative Writing Workshop / Too Many Unfinished Stories On Nairaland!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.