Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

Getting Started: Poetry Whatsapp Speech By Cisse - Poems For Review - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Getting Started: Poetry Whatsapp Speech By Cisse (847 Views)

A New Screenplay I Just Started / Love Is A Figure Of Speech (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Getting Started: Poetry Whatsapp Speech By Cisse by cisse7575(m): 5:37pm On Mar 03, 2015
Getting Started:

Good writing depends on practice, like sports; the more limbered up you are the better you perform
But how do you pass through that first, often terrifying, encounter with the blank page and find a voice
A voice that will carry your thoughts and feelings with eloquence and flair
You have lots of ideas, but little confidence in your ability to express them
What if it comes out wrong?
What if it makes you look childish or naive?
What if you can't do it?
The blank page seems to taunt you with your own underconfindence; it points to all the great works that have gone before and says, you can't for that, or what's the point?
It's all been said already
The ream of sentences, the characters, the ideas that drove you to the page in the first place wither into nothing
Suddenly the whole project becomes impossible and your desire to write remains just that
The only way to overcome this problem is to write
Get some materials down on paper
However rough and ready
Start off with notes, fragments, half sentences, until stuttering stops and you find yourself writing whole sentenced, paragraphs, pages.
Often the first hurdle is the writer's own self-consciousness about the act of writing itself
And that hurdles might well take a few pages to clear, like an old car with dirty petrol tank; the first few miles will be a juddering, stop-start journey.
Be prepared for this.
You are engaging with something unfamiliar to you, don't expect to produce a master piece in your first attempt
Start off with what you had for tea, the last phone call you made, the colour of your lovers eyes,
Your favorite CD.
Give yourself a subject and write about it
Write about it without stopping or correcting yourself, for five minutes
Just generate some pages, a body of work
Then read it back to yourself
This will be hard: a first time encounter with your own work is not dissimilar to watching yourself on TV or hearing your recorded voice for the first time-do I really sound like that? Oh no, I never knew I looked like that
You might well be embarrass and dissapointef
So this is a rite of pasage
Good radio presenters listen to thier voice over and over so they can control and improve their pitch and delivery
In same way, good writer will read through their own writing, looking for sentences that can be improved, pushed further, expanded, cut
It is only when you have developed a sense of your fictional VOICE that you will really have the confidence to jump in and write a story, a poem or a play
However, paradoxically, it is only through writing that you will develop a sense of what your voice is
Your fictional voice is not a million miles away from how you speak
A good storytelling voice is a more honed and structured version of speech and it is as individual to you as your fingerprints
Look at the poem or novel you read
What kinds of voice are clamouring for your attention on your bookshelf

You are likely to find to find lots of disparate voices talking, all with different accents, references, cadences, obsessions.
Voice in fiction or poetry can be interpreted as perspective or personality
It is different from style, which is something that you can develop later to created effects.
A poem I wrote when I wrote my waec still sounds like me in my 20
Perhaps it is a sad reflection on my continuing juvenility or more seriously, it is the thread of me-ness
that runs through my work,
the personality that inhabits all the words i write

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Getting Started: Poetry Whatsapp Speech By Cisse by Nobody: 5:44pm On Mar 03, 2015
I don't know what this is all about
But it look front pagic
So ama just stick around
Re: Getting Started: Poetry Whatsapp Speech By Cisse by cisse7575(m): 5:57pm On Mar 03, 2015
oloyolo:
I don't know what this is all about
But it look front pagic
So ama just stick around
it has been modified
Re: Getting Started: Poetry Whatsapp Speech By Cisse by Nobody: 6:07pm On Mar 03, 2015
cisse7575:
it has been modified

Beraa still sticking around
Re: Getting Started: Poetry Whatsapp Speech By Cisse by yuzjet(m): 10:22pm On Mar 03, 2015
Can somebody brings a topic to start with?
Re: Getting Started: Poetry Whatsapp Speech By Cisse by texanomaly(f): 9:22pm On Mar 08, 2015
How did I miss this. Nice job Cisse.
Re: Getting Started: Poetry Whatsapp Speech By Cisse by AlfaSeltzer(m): 9:27pm On Mar 08, 2015
texanomaly:

Why I started following you beats me. See where you led me to.
What the hell is this place?
Re: Getting Started: Poetry Whatsapp Speech By Cisse by texanomaly(f): 9:35pm On Mar 08, 2015
AlfaSeltzer:

Why I started following you beats me. See where you led me to.
What the hell is this place?

Because you love me. tongue
Re: Getting Started: Poetry Whatsapp Speech By Cisse by cisse7575(m): 1:38pm On Mar 22, 2015
texanomaly:
Because you are out there, teaching, explaining and reading to the students. You are one of my mentors here....
Re: Getting Started: Poetry Whatsapp Speech By Cisse by rudepen(m): 11:44am On Mar 30, 2015
#sneaks in

(1) (Reply)

The Battle Of Life / When A Man Sheds Tears!! / The Beauty Of A Woman.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.