Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,494 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" (9398 Views)

What Is The Difference Between Application Letter And Cover Letter? / How To Write EFCC Application Letter / Difference Between A Cover Letter And An Application Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by Nobody: 8:51am On Mar 05, 2015
Hello and good morning all, please i want to know the difference(s) between "cover letter" and "application letter" as may be used during job application. My ignorance over this could be attributed to the fact that i've not really been involved in job hunting in my life time thus far, but situation as of today has called for it. I know that when applying for a job, the applicant must submit his/her CV together with application letter, but i've heard a lot about "cover letter" of recent and i find it difficult to fathom out the difference of the cover letter from application letter. If they are truly different, do applicants submit both at same time together with CV? If anyone can also help with a example of the said cover letter, that'll really be appreciated and plus any other information that could help guarantee one's better chance of being called for a job. Thank you!
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by Habayomie(m): 8:59am On Mar 05, 2015

1 Like

Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by uboma(m): 9:13am On Mar 05, 2015
@ op, a Cover Letter and Application Letter are one and the same. On it, you need to sell yourself, extolling your strengths and skills as it relates with the particular job requirements. A lot of job seekers do the mistake of sending the same Cover Letter to all the job applications they send, no wonder they are not called/invited for a test/interview...

By the way, did you later see the CV I modified for you? The challenge you had of viewing it could be from your device. Try downloading it from a PC.

All the best

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by uboma(m): 9:18am On Mar 05, 2015
You can get more information about Cover Letters via;

work.chron.com/application-letter-vs-cover-letter-5451.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by Nobody: 9:22am On Mar 05, 2015
uboma:
@ op, a Cover Letter and Application Letter are one and the same. On it, you need to sell yourself, extolling your strengths and skills as it relates with the particular job requirements. A lot of job seekers do the mistake of sending the same Cover Letter to all the job applications they send, no wonder they are not called/invited for a test/interview...

By the way, did you later see the CV I modified for you? The challenge you had of viewing it could be from your device. Try downloading it from a PC.

All the best

Thanks boss for showing up and helped in contribution. No, i couldnt get anything different from you from what i earlier sent to you. It was entirely just what i sent to you that i received back even when i used PC from cafe. Dont really know what might've gone wrong.

Any other way you can still help in regards to the matter on ground will be eternally appreciated.
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by uboma(m): 9:24am On Mar 05, 2015
Godshand:

Thanks boss for showing up and helped in contribution. No, i couldnt get anything different from you from what i earlier sent. It's was entirely just what i sent to you that i received back even when i used PC from cafe. Dont really know what might've gone wrong.

Any other way you can still help in regards to the matter on ground will be eternally appreciated.

I'll send it by mid day
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by Nobody: 9:25am On Mar 05, 2015
uboma:
You can get more information about Cover Letters via;

www.work.chron.com/application-letter-vs-cover-letter-5451.html

Link not active
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by Nobody: 9:31am On Mar 05, 2015
uboma:

I'll send it by mid day

Pls kindly send it to either or both of these addresses:

It seems the other email address has some challenges as i was told "disabled"...dont know whatever that means.

Thanks so much.
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by uboma(m): 9:39am On Mar 05, 2015
Godshand:

Link not active

This is the link again as in my other post.

work.chron.com/application-letter-vs-cover-letter-5451.html

Copy it the way it is and paste on your browser. Don't add *www.* to the link.
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by uboma(m): 9:40am On Mar 05, 2015
Godshand:

Pls kindly send it to either or both of these addresses:

****@gmail.com

****@gmail.com

It seems the other email address has some challenges as i was told "disabled"...dont know whatever that means.

Thanks so much.

Noted.

***modified***

I have sent it. Please acknowledge receipt.

Cheers
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by Gboliwe: 9:49am On Mar 05, 2015
Both mean the same thing. But while one is better composed and is more professional, the other (Application letter) is your regular interest in "any" job suited for your paper qualification. I hope I made sense?
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by bodeoni: 10:04am On Mar 05, 2015
I think its just a play with words but note that the word 'cover letter' is not specific to job applications. A covering (cover) letter is basically a letter that introduces the main content of whatever, hence its usually brief and often sets the pace for the main content. Proposals, budgets, financial reports etc usually have covering letters too.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by eHustler(m): 10:09am On Mar 05, 2015
There are slight differences between cover letter and application letter. Application letter contains your address and addressee's, salutation, position applied for, the body of the letter, conclusion and your signature. It always accompanies hard copy cv. Cover letter neither requires your address nor addressee's but the salutation, position applied for, the body of the letter, conclusion and your signature. It is written in the body of the email while the cv is attached. Cover letter is used for online application purpose only. Hope this helps.
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by uboma(m): 10:15am On Mar 05, 2015
eHustler:
There are slight differences between cover letter and application letter. Application letter contains your address and addressee's, salutation, position applied for, the body of the letter, conclusion and your signature. It always accompanies hard copy cv. Cover letter neither requires your address nor addressee's but the salutation, position applied for, the body of the letter, conclusion and your signature. It is written in the body of the email while the cv is attached. Cover letter is used for online application purpose only. Hope this helps.

I totally disagree with the above words.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by Nobody: 11:36am On Mar 05, 2015
eHustler:

@bolded, is that really true? Does it mean cover letters are not used where offline application is the case?
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by Valmesk(m): 12:20pm On Mar 05, 2015
@ Uboma,i humbly request for the cv u wish to send to op @ mid day,pls also forward to me at meksin4real@gmail.com
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by stepo707: 12:28pm On Mar 05, 2015
eHustler:

wrong oga.They are same.
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by jennex05(m): 12:48pm On Mar 05, 2015
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by VickyRotex(f): 1:06pm On Mar 05, 2015
Both the Same. Id say Application letter is a division, while Cover letter is its sub-division. Sub-division in the sense that each cover letter you write, should be written for just a specific company and job position. (Although, many people dont take this into consideration, some folks submit same cover letter they submitted to Exxon Mobil, to GTBank, forgetting that we got two different sectors here, requesting for two different skills. Just as Gboliwe said, Cover letter is more professional than Application letter, as it narrows down the content to whichever field you are applying. Companies states requirement for job positions, asides your CV, another opportunity to sell yourself is the cover letter, stating your skills as regards their requirement. While, Application letter could be written amiss, more like submitting an unsolicited application to a company, incase of any vacancy or position that suits your qualification. Not necessarily stating skills for a specific job position or role...

#I hope this helps...
#Correction is welcomed, as am still learning...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by Nobody: 3:46pm On Mar 05, 2015
VickyRotex:
Both the Same. Id say Application letter is a division, while Cover letter is its sub-division. Sub-division in the sense that each cover letter you write, should be written for just a specific company and job position. (Although, many people dont take this into consideration, some folks submit same cover letter they submitted to Exxon Mobil, to GTBank, forgetting that we got two different sectors here, requesting for two different skills. Just as Gboliwe said, Cover letter is more professional than Application letter, as it narrows down the content to whichever field you are applying. Companies states requirement for job positions, asides your CV, another opportunity to sell yourself is the cover letter, stating your skills as regards their requirement. While, Application letter could be written amiss, more like submitting an unsolicited application to a company, incase of any vacancy or position that suits your qualification. Not necessarily stating skills for a specific job position or role...

#I hope this helps...

Hmmm, nice one. Thanks a lot.
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by VickyRotex(f): 4:57pm On Mar 05, 2015
Godshand:

Hmmm, nice one. Thanks a lot.

You welcome smiley
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by eke28(m): 5:48pm On Mar 05, 2015
Pls can u send me sample of a good cover letter and cv. to my emeil chimaeke20@yahoo.co.uk
Thanks.
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by Itulah(m): 6:21pm On Mar 05, 2015
Godshand:
Hello and good morning all, please i want to know the difference(s) between "cover letter" and "application letter" as may be used during job application. My ignorance over this could be attributed to the fact that i've not really been involved in job hunting in my life time thus far, but situation as of today has called for it. I know that when applying for a job, the applicant must submit his/her CV together with application letter, but i've heard a lot about "cover letter" of recent and i find it difficult to fathom out the difference of the cover letter from application letter. If they are truly different, do applicants submit both at same time together with CV? If anyone can also help with a example of the said cover letter, that'll really be appreciated and plus any other information that could help guarantee one's better chance of being called for a job. Thank you!

This should guide you. Thank me later: https://www.nairaland.com/2109018/understand-differences-between-resume-cv
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by Nobody: 7:14pm On Mar 05, 2015
VickyRotex:

#I hope this helps...
pls can u help me with a copy of application letter and a cover letter to enable me understand better. ngoziekpo17@gmail.com. Tanks in advance
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by Nobody: 7:16pm On Mar 05, 2015
VickyRotex:

You welcome smiley

But in the case of applying for Industrial Attachment (IT), which is most recommended? Application Letter or Cover Letter?
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by VickyRotex(f): 8:33pm On Mar 05, 2015
ngoziekpo17:
pls can u help me with a copy of application letter and a cover letter to enable me understand better. ngoziekpo17@gmail.com. Tanks in advance

I have sent it... Please confirm and revert!!!
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by VickyRotex(f): 8:46pm On Mar 05, 2015
Godshand:

But in the case of applying for Industrial Attachment (IT), which is most recommended? Application Letter or Cover Letter?

Just like I stated earlier that Cover Letter is a sub of Application letter. As cover letter ought to be shorter and straight to the point.

You can use an application to apply for industrial attachment, as this should entail detailed information about yourself. Remember you aint applying for any specific position, so you have to compose your letter in a way that would leave the company with no other option than to take you in.

Most of the time, when applying for Industrial Attachement, some companies dont demand for CV cos they know most of their applicants are still students, so little or no experience is needed, and they believe you can sell yourself with just your application letter, unlike the case of Cover letter, you cant submit a Cover letter for job application without a CV.

Here is an example of an application letter for Industrial Attachment.

Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by uboma(m): 9:32pm On Mar 05, 2015
@ op, you are yet to acknowledge receipt of my mail since noon that I sent it.

Kindly revert.
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by Olucheye(m): 10:15pm On Mar 05, 2015
How does one rightly put an application in its right format on a new email page?

Or does one have to attach an application letter alongside the CV when sending out to an employer?

Or the application letter typed in the email & the CV attached?
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by aiikay(m): 10:26pm On Mar 05, 2015
What is certain is that we have what is called formal and informal letter. (Permit me to ignore semi formal).
Application letter means a formal letter stating your appeal for something. eg. jobs, approval request, etc
Now, if you are applying for a job, you need submit several documents - CV and certificates. In this case, your application is to introduce (cover) the accompanying (main) documents needed to prove you are worthy for the job. Thus the emergence of the phrase cover letter. Certainly the subject might still read "Application for ..." So, depending on the writing medium, it can contain all the relevant aspects of a formal letter - which we call it ab initio. I mean that detailed addresses can be ignored if writing inside email compose box, but may be clearly written if to be attached as a word/pdf file.

Now, if you are writing for instance: "Application for the Release of Fund for a Project" to may be the Chairman of your organisation. Here may be you simply need to state your budget in the letter and has no other accompanying document. So the normal name Application letter becomes clear.

In summary, Application Letter is same as Cover Letter.
Above is just my submission to the question. I was equally much confused with the phrase "cover letter" when I began to hear it for the first time during NYSC camping. You know how different money making persons troop the camp to catch them young in the name of "buy books and get certificate; we can help you write cover letters; etc"

Thank you!
Re: I Want To Know The Differences Between "Cover Letter" And "Application Letter" by VickyRotex(f): 10:28pm On Mar 05, 2015
Olucheye:
How does one rightly put an application in its right format on a new email page?

Or does one have to attach an application letter alongside the CV when sending out to an employer?

Or the application letter typed in the email & the CV attached?

I'd advise you type both seperately and attach. Although some company websites will ask you to copy and paste your Cover letter in a box.

If they dont ask for that, its better typed as Ms Word, or converted to Pdf (depending on the type of file they requested for) and attached to e-mail, or uploaded to company's application site

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is Applying For Jobs In Nigeria, A Waste Of Time? / NIM NYSC Program / INEC 2023: Who Else Is In My Shoes?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.