Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,931 members, 7,956,498 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:57 PM

Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates (40645 Views)

10 Most Livable Cities In Nigeria / 10 Most Expensive Cities In Africa 2015 [photos] / 11 Most Developed Towns/cities In The SE. Which Is The Most Beautiful?(pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by tivta(m): 8:12am On Mar 07, 2015
forgiveness:

Well i definately have but i am talking about the most livable cities for white men to live peacfully and do business without any fear of political violence, ethnic clashes and Terrorist attacks. and besides alot of white folks live, study and do business in ibadan.

you can see lebanese, isreali, American, British, chinese, french, indians, South koreans, japanese, Arabs, South Africans, West Africans ecetera
. Bro just be honest, that is just YOUR opinion, you can't claim ibadan is the best when cities like calabar and uyo are there. When charles Taylor went on exile what city did he live in? It was calabar. Yes ibadan is cool BUT its definitely not the best for experts to live in. Lagos is far more better in terms of economic availability. If you feel you are still right, just post link of websites that SUPPORT your claim.

2 Likes

Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by tivta(m): 8:25am On Mar 07, 2015
forgiveness:

Well i definately have but i am talking about the most livable cities for white men to live peacfully and do business without any fear of political violence, ethnic clashes and Terrorist attacks. and besides alot of white folks live, study and do business in ibadan.

you can see lebanese, isreali, American, British, chinese, french, indians, South koreans, japanese, Arabs, South Africans, West Africans ecetera

These cooler
temperatures have meant that, from colonial times
until the present day, Jos is a favourite holiday
location for both tourists and expatriates based in
Nigeria.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos.
Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by freshcvv(m): 8:31am On Mar 07, 2015
Tbamo:

Actually ibadan already has the second largest expat population after lagos due to its relative peace! In fact a Lebanese guy is one of the king makers in the town and the governors wife is half arab!
I had so many expat as school mates in isi so free call the census board if it's really paining you!

And you have been to rivers state to see expatriates?

Been to Delta state?(Professional expatriates)
Been to Abuja? (Political and professional expatriate)
Been to Calabar?(Tourist)
Been to jos even with the so called "wahala"?(Tourist)
Lagos (professional expatriates)
Kano? (Arab and middle east expatriates)

So because the governor's wife is half Arab automatically means all Arabs have relocated to Ibadan? See logic..since Obama is partly Kenyan, we should assume Kenyans have all moved to the US.. Your logic defiles logic.

Do you mind providing a verifiable link to your claim?

1 Like

Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by Nobody: 8:56am On Mar 07, 2015
tivta:
. Bro just be honest, that is just YOUR opinion, you can't claim ibadan is the best when cities like calabar and uyo are there. When charles Taylor went on exile what city did he live in? It was calabar. Yes ibadan is cool BUT its definitely not the best for experts to live in. Lagos is far more better in terms of economic availability. If you feel you are still right, just post link of websites that SUPPORT your claim.

don't get the person you quoted wrong, Ibadan by far the best city to live for expatriates. Apart from the presence of institutions like UI , UCH and other research institutions which are world class, there is also the large market due to its population, enabling environment for businesses also attracts foreigners to Ibadan.

ALSO IBADAN IS LIKE THE ONLY CITY IN NIGERIA WHERE EXPATRIATES DRIVE THEMSELVES TO WORK, TO CLUB, TO THE MALLS, ETC WITHOUT FEAR

Ibadan is a world class city that just needs a right thinking government like the present one led by Ajimobi... Many hold the view that Ibadan is an ancient city of red roofs and mud houses. Yes there are red roofs in the inner city areas which covers only about 2 3 local governments. A vast majority of the city is modern.

1 Like

Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by Nobody: 8:57am On Mar 07, 2015
tivta:

don't get the person you quoted wrong, Ibadan by far the best city to live for expatriates. Apart from the presence of institutions like UI , UCH and other research institutions which are world class, there is also the large market due to its population, enabling environment for businesses also attracts foreigners to Ibadan.

ALSO IBADAN IS LIKE THE ONLY CITY IN NIGERIA WHERE EXPATRIATES DRIVE THEMSELVES TO WORK, TO CLUB, TO THE MALLS, ETC WITHOUT FEAR

Ibadan is a world class city that just needs a right thinking government like the present one led by Ajimobi... Many hold the view that Ibadan is an ancient city of red roofs and mud houses. Yes there are red roofs in the inner city areas which covers only about 2 3 local governments out of 11 local governments in Ibadan. A vast majority of the city is modern and nice neighborhoods to live in
Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by forgiveness: 9:41am On Mar 07, 2015
mmsen:

Is that something to be proud of?

What a strange 'accomplishment'.

Only foolish people would sit on a forum and brag about how many foreigners are in their vicinity to show how incompetent and short-sighted the locals are.

One of the major factors that makes a city livable for expatriate is Economics environment which can be divided into macroeconomic factors and microeconomic factors.

microeconomic factors influence how your business makes decisions. and the factors are; Market size, demand, supply, competitors, supplier and distribution chain such as retailers stores. and all these factors has to with Service ( economics ) e.g

Business functions ( consulting, customer service and human resources),

Financial services ( accountancy, banking and building societies, estates, tax...),

Education( school, library..),

Cleaning, repair and maintainance services ( gardners, janitors and mechanics ),

Construction ( carpentry, electrician, plumbine..),

Dispute resolution ( arbitirarion, court of law, diplomacy, lawyers, millitary, incarceration, law enforcement...)

Food service industry,

Health care,

Fabric care ( dry cleaning, self - service laundry...)

Entertainment industry

Hospitality,

Food services etcetera

are all controlled by the well trained and skilled competent locals in Ibadan.

However, majority of the locals also contributes to the economic through agricutural products and the manufacturing industries.
Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by tivta(m): 9:48am On Mar 07, 2015
lookooman:

Ibadan is a world class city that just needs a right thinking government like the present one led by Ajimobi... Many hold the view that Ibadan is an ancient city of red roofs and mud houses. Yes there are red roofs in the inner city areas which covers only about 2 3 local governments. A vast majority of the city is modern.

. So calabar and uyo is not safe? Please be realistic. Uyo is fast overtaking calabar as a tourist destination and the reasons you mentioned are far from the reasons why experts would want to stay in ibadan. Even PH with all its security challenges still, I repeat STILL has more experts in the country than any other city due to the refinery(which is where nigeria gets its income from) also that's where ibadan gets its money for city development via FG allocation to states.
Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by tivta(m): 9:55am On Mar 07, 2015
lookooman:

Ibadan is a world class city that just needs a right thinking government like the present one led by Ajimobi... Many hold the view that Ibadan is an ancient city of red roofs and mud houses. Yes there are red roofs in the inner city areas which covers only about 2 3 local governments out of 11 local governments in Ibadan. A vast majority of the city is modern and nice neighborhoods to live in

. Even lagos has lots of white men and women WALKING in the streets without fear or harassment(V.I lekki and co) so security is not an issue for ibadan to be the best.
Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by Reference(m): 9:55am On Mar 07, 2015
Jaundiced perspective. Ibadan man please travel out of the south-west for at least a forthnight.
Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by forgiveness: 9:57am On Mar 07, 2015
Ajorosun:

Op. What of Kingston College Ibadan Along Eleyele-Sango road ... A co-education (British,America curricula)

wow! that's awesome but i can't upload all the good schools now, because they are many.

you can do if you wish!
Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by Tbamo(m): 9:57am On Mar 07, 2015
tivta:
. So calabar and uyo is not safe? Please be realistic. Uyo is fast overtaking calabar as a tourist destination and the reasons you mentioned are far from the reasons why experts would want to stay in ibadan. Even PH with all its security challenges still, I repeat STILL has more experts in the country than any other city due to the refinery(which is where nigeria gets its income from) also that's where ibadan gets its money for city development via FG allocation to states.

I live in ph and grew up in ibadan! No white man goes out in ph without an armed guard and they don't live there most have their families domiciled in Lagos! Go to ibadan and see white boys playing set on the main roads!
Only in ibadan will you see white women in the local markets moving without fear and even haggling like pros! I have worked in warri delta which you mentioned and the white men live like prisoners!
Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by Reference(m): 10:04am On Mar 07, 2015
For your information no city in Nigeria meets the minimum requirements for 'livability', certainly not for expats. Nigeria is just not a tourist destination. If you are counting heads as evidence then I can tell you there are probably more expatriates in the small town of Brass than in the entire south-west. Does it make Brass friendly. No. They have probably tied down a Brigade of crack troops guarding them. For what reason.... go figure. Nigeria does not start and end in Lagos.
Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by Reference(m): 10:22am On Mar 07, 2015
Tbamo:

I live in ph and grew up in ibadan! No white man goes out in ph without an armed guard and they don't live there most have their families domiciled in Lagos! Go to ibadan and see white boys playing set on the main roads!
Only in ibadan will you see white women in the local markets moving without fear and even haggling like pros! I have worked in warri delta which you mentioned and the white men live like prisoners!

So the whole excersise doesn't make sense. If Portharcourt is less livable. Why more expats there. Shouldn't you say that as far as Nigeria is concerned, for the expats livability is all about the dollar and they gravitate towards the prime source - oil.
Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by forgiveness: 10:28am On Mar 07, 2015
tivta:

These cooler
temperatures have meant that, from colonial times
until the present day, Jos is a favourite holiday
location for both tourists and expatriates based in
Nigeria.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos.

You're right and no dispute about it. Jos should have top the list on categories such as; Natural environment and recreation but fall short in terms of Political and social enviroment, and Social and cultural environment. These two factors alone will always scare off potential investor/expatriate from Jos.
Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by Tbamo(m): 10:32am On Mar 07, 2015
Reference:

So the whole excersise doesn't make sense. If Portharcourt is less livable. Why more expats there. Shouldn't you say that as far as Nigeria is concerned, for the expats livability is all about the dollar and they gravitate towards the prime source - oil.
There are more expatriates in ibadan than ph! Ask the relevant sources! I love In ph and most of the expats don't have a house they can point to except the ones living in shell camp!
In ibadan there are estates in jericho that are predominantly white,the old bodija white population, lebanon street, and iyaganku is filled with the coffee skinned Indians!
Dont let the fallacy of oil make you think that's the only thing attractive in nigeria.
I concede there may be more Caucasians in ph but on a whole there are more expatriates in ibadan!
Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by Nobody: 10:53am On Mar 07, 2015
Reference:
For your information no city in Nigeria meets the minimum requirements for 'livability', certainly not for expats. Nigeria is just not a tourist destination. If you are counting heads as evidence then I can tell you there are probably more expatriates in the small town of Brass than in the entire south-west. Does it make Brass friendly. No. They have probably tied down a Brigade of crack troops guarding them. For what reason.... go figure. Nigeria does not start and end in Lagos.

grin grin gringrin

Are you serious right now?
Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by forgiveness: 10:55am On Mar 07, 2015
[quote author=Reference post=31384684]

The IMCL(international marking cities livable) defines livable cities as QUALITY OF LIVING, rather than STANDARD OF LIVING. i.e you may be making alot of dollars but no quality of living. e.g Newyork, seoul, los angel, london, paris ecetara.

so, to have quality of living you need to consider 9 factors based on Mercer quality of living survey.

For me standard of living cities are; Abuja, Lagos, P/h.....
Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by Omololu007(m): 11:17am On Mar 07, 2015
pastorKosiso:
No be small... He just couldnt stop mentioning Ibadan like say na Dubai
u too mention wia u r from,let's compare it to ibadan n dubai
Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by Omololu007(m): 11:22am On Mar 07, 2015
tivta:
what is in uyo wey u just dey shout since sef...list 10 factories n 5gud skuls located in uyo
Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by Omololu007(m): 11:23am On Mar 07, 2015
Reference:
Jaundiced perspective. Ibadan man please travel out of the south-west for at least a forthnight.
were are u from,let's compare it to ibadan
Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by Olaone1: 11:25am On Mar 07, 2015
lookooman:

Ibadan is a world class city that just needs a right thinking government like the present one led by Ajimobi...

Ajimobi and the term "right-thinking" are parallel lines. They can never meet. Ajimobi is anything but right-thinking. He will be voted out
Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by Omololu007(m): 11:26am On Mar 07, 2015
Reference:
trash! "Dia are more expats in brass dan d whole of south wes"t..mumu talk
Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by forgiveness: 11:27am On Mar 07, 2015
Olaone1:

Ajimobi and the term "right-thinking" are parallel lines. They can never meet. Ajimobi is anything but right-thinking. He will be voted out

are you seriou?
Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by Volksfuhrer(m): 11:28am On Mar 07, 2015
Toluwarni:

Abuja is a world class City
1. Constant Electricity.. I can't even remember when last my Generator was fueled.
2. Good road network!
3. Good schools, both private and public
4. Good transport system
5. Clean water
6. Proper drainage system throughout the city
7. World class shopping malls.. e.g shoprite, next, grand square, xclusive stores.. The list goes on and on.
8. Really beautiful and we'll planned city.
9. Unemployment rate is minimal to some extent.
10. The security is also good!
I could go on and on, but I'll stop here..

And you think that list of yours makes Abuja 'World Class'? SMH

If you are to globally rank these facilities you alluded to on a scale of 1-20, how would you rank each?

Look, there are hundreds of cities with facilities much better than Abuja that did not make cut.

On a global scale, I would be very kind to call Abuja an average city!

You see, It is self-deception to ascribe 'world class' status to a city brimming with mediocre facilities.
Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by Nobody: 11:33am On Mar 07, 2015
Olodo
Omololu007:
u too mention wia u r from,let's compare it to ibadan n dubai
Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by Omololu007(m): 11:41am On Mar 07, 2015
pastorKosiso:
Olodo
daft fool
Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by forgiveness: 2:41pm On Mar 07, 2015
Now lets continue from no, 8 to n0 9

No,9 Social and cultural environment; Cultural environments consist of the influence of religious, family, educational, and social systems within the marketing system. Various features of a culture can create an illusion of similarity.

This also has to do with human relationship, religious tolerance, cultural history, and it influence the society to blend together.

Ibadan top the list with the influence of education (literature) and social systems within the market system. and that's the reason you see a lot of Nigerians and Expatriates coming to study in Ibadan special Yoruba literature. The Ibadan social system creates an illusion of similarity.

In fact all ethnic groups in Nigeria, Africans, Europeans, Americans, Asians ectera are all present in the city.

quote from an American student; I’m sure now they will actually understand what I’m talking about when I say going to Nigeria is literally like warping or teleporting into another world-the culture, the language, the infrastructure, the government, the weather, the food, the risks, and the enjoyments all contribute to an experience that is truly impossible to describe with words, pictures, and even video.

Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by forgiveness: 3:00pm On Mar 07, 2015
pictures and videos of American students studying Yoruba literature and other courses in U.I

1, 2, historical status

3, Yoruba drum called 'GANGAN'

4, A foreign student with his parent at dean of student, vice chancellor and registrar of university of Ibadan.

Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by forgiveness: 3:04pm On Mar 07, 2015
more.....

Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by forgiveness: 3:19pm On Mar 07, 2015
1,2 Japanese students in U.I

3, American students

Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by forgiveness: 3:32pm On Mar 07, 2015
1,Students from university of Cambridge Came for research in U.I.

2, Video of white boy playing the drums.

3, America girls given a speech in U.I

Re: Most Livable Cities In Nigeria For Expatriates by forgiveness: 3:43pm On Mar 07, 2015
Cocoa house, First skyscraper in sub Sahara Africa

Femi Johnson, first glass highrise

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Passengers Abandoned In Bush Since Monday Morning As Kano-lagos Train Breaks Dow / Enugu Policemen Ran Away After Their Roadblock Caused Multiple Car Accident / Despite Thriving Businesses, Aba Remains A Pigsty - Premium Times

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.