Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,376 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:14 AM

Horn Warriors - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Horn Warriors (2236 Views)

Pothole Warriors And Survivors - Share Your Stories Here! / Can You Drive In Lagos Metropolis Without Using Your Vehicle's Horn For A Month? / How To Detect Car Horn Faults (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Horn Warriors by Nobody: 12:22pm On Mar 07, 2015
Over a week of driving here in Ibadan and I haven't used the horn yet.

Surprisingly I've had to resist the urge to drag folks out of their cars and decapitate them grin

But no horns.

1 Like

Re: Horn Warriors by uboma(m): 12:45pm On Mar 07, 2015
Congratulations.

Welcome to Nigeria where some people greet each other with the sound of their horn.

The use of the horn however is inevitable in some areas where people allow their goats/sheep and dogs to roam the streets and road. In such areas, one can even see children running across the roads.

Nigeria is still way off from civilization.
Re: Horn Warriors by abatically(m): 12:59pm On Mar 07, 2015
It is really very annoying how people misuse their horns in this country. Sometimes they just honk for no reason at all. Last time I was in a general hospital and come see how young civilized men are honking in a supposedly quite environment. The thing is a lot of people think it is impossible to minimize the use of horns on this country, so they just use honk just because the person beside them is honking.
Re: Horn Warriors by DGD1(m): 1:58pm On Mar 07, 2015
CityNG:

Surprisingly I've had to resist the urge to drag folks out of their cars and decapitate them grin

But no horns.

in Ibadan!!!
Okada and Micra nko, aw do u cope with dem¿

I dont use d horn excessively, just to drive ur car home without denting it.
I respect u o
Re: Horn Warriors by nurey(m): 3:22pm On Mar 07, 2015
I don't think it is possible not to use horn a day in Lagos except if you aren't the one to drive the car grin , I leave home at 6:15am and my car utilizes DRL, people walk on the road and even when they see the car light they won't leave the road you have to horn before they scamper off the road.

You get to the highway, and silly drivers will maintain one two lanes instead of one blocking you, even after seeing the light coming close then won't move until u blare your horn but I rather flash them as at that time.

The worst is drivers coming into express with speed from another angle instead of them to maintain that line they want to jump to fast lane straight inorder to avoid them ramming me to the curb you have to make a loud bang with your horn so the block head can wake up from his slumber.

Lastly danfo and the likes don't have side view mirror if you are passing their side you horn once so they know a car is at their side, I was almost rammed to the curb by a bus driver who didn't check the side mirror, I didn't bother to horn I just banged his car with my hands pressing the brake immediately, my driver side mirror payed the price for that I was indeed lucky.

2 Likes

Re: Horn Warriors by Nobody: 5:03pm On Mar 07, 2015
Mind over matter works for me.

I can't add to the melee with my own horn. I can easily apply the brake and slow down as I can lay on the horn.

Not saying one is bad over the other but just to prove that it can be done.
Re: Horn Warriors by billy187(m): 1:32am On Mar 08, 2015
A good flash usually does the trick for me. But then in Gh, some 'trotro' drivers will never see you till you 'do pressup' on the horn.grin

Anyways Cityng, how's the Triumph restore? You havent been updating as often.
Re: Horn Warriors by Nobody: 2:07am On Mar 08, 2015
billy187:
A good flash usually does the trick for me. But then in Gh, some 'trotro' drivers will never see you till you 'do pressup' on the horn.grin

Anyways Cityng, how's the Triumph restore? You havent been updating as often.

I forgot to update that thread.

Tessie was adopted by a fellow club member who was saving her from me he said.

I have to admit that she went to a better home. All his restores for the past decade have been award winners. It's takes a special kind of dedication to pull that off.

Oh yea, I had to charter a cab to take me around occasionally and guess what kind of car the guy has?

Yep, a Nissan Micra grin

I got my payback.
Re: Horn Warriors by jukeblam(m): 11:01am On Mar 09, 2015
nurey:
I don't think it is possible not to use horn a day in Lagos

You know, it is possible- but it requires patience (a whole lot!), self-restraint and mumbled outbursts! grin

I consciously started driving without using my horn for about 4months now; although, that doesn't mean I haven't had to press my horn within that period- I sure have! Some scenarios are just so shocked daft, you need to 'horn out' the senselessness in that person.
Re: Horn Warriors by ubiquitousade(m): 10:56pm On Mar 09, 2015
jukeblam:

You know, it is possible- but it requires patience (a whole lot!), self-restraint and mumbled outbursts! grin
and educating motorists as well.

I once live close to the expressway and you could hear trailers honking at midnight/early morning from 5km away. what they honk for i dont understand
Re: Horn Warriors by dechandel(f): 11:50am On Mar 10, 2015
Welcome to Nigeria,where someone honks just for the fun of it grin

This is mostly associated with some amateur drivers like her grin grin
Re: Horn Warriors by Truckpusher(m): 11:56am On Mar 10, 2015
uboma:
Congratulations.

Welcome to Nigeria where some people greet each other with the sound of their horn.

The use of the horn however is inevitable in some areas where people allow their goats/sheep and dogs to roam the streets and road. In such areas, one can even see children running across the roads.

Nigeria is still way off from civilization.
You'll have to kill a whole lot of folks for sanity to come into this country.

How about those folks that are use to throwing out their trash from inside a moving car as if the road is a refuse dump?
Everything is all about making laws and enforcing them strictly and you'd be surprise how everyone will fall into line .
Re: Horn Warriors by Nobody: 12:31pm On Mar 10, 2015
hmmm.

Sweetie, I can use my horn for 1km here in Aba, and I have no regrets.
I rather use my horn for free - than visit the panel_beater every week @ a cost.

3 Likes

Re: Horn Warriors by englishmart(m): 12:37pm On Mar 10, 2015
I use my horn for 72hours non stop
Re: Horn Warriors by Nobody: 1:51pm On Mar 10, 2015
The average individual Nigerian is worse than the government and hence why we can't get real progress.

1 Like

Re: Horn Warriors by nurey(m): 3:50pm On Mar 10, 2015
When my brother came in from the US, he was alarmed at how often I use the horn but still surprised how patient I was at driving, infact he said I gave way to easily even when I had right of way, he didn't know I was extra patient cause
1. The car I was driving wasn't mind so can't risk bashing it
2. I was driving a full size SUV which needs patients or I did just ram into cars by my side.

Now I don't only drive with care, I take precautionary motive while driving reason for honking unusually, lagos drivers drive like hardened criminals on the run, if you try to use the horn judiciously, u may be end up dead b4 ur time.

1. Drivers only trafficate or use pointer after they have move to that lane not b4 so if u driving and u see a car close to the demarcation road lines u need to honk before u pass else the driver sways to ur side and you inturn sway away a GT madman can also be coming at ur side if u sway to avoid one, u will eventually sway into one.

2. (This one is a major cause of denting and scratch on cars)Trailers, lorry, danfo don't use side mirror or trafficate (fact) they always expect u to give them way anytime they want to jump in ur front I always honk especially when there is gridlock so the driver can be informed I am coming from his side, if u don't honk, they are too busy calculating how much fuel they will waste so they don't check sides before jumping to it.

3. Those marwa are the worst, they just like to wriggle every where and anywhere, i know how my bumper, side skirt and tires (yes tires) have suffered in the hands of this keke marwa abi napep (tricycles) they always jump lane or move out b4 looking so I always honk b4 passing them if u don't and they just move into ur lane unexpectedly even if u brake unexpectedly, 2 tricycles will kiss ur bumper from the rear.

4. Private car owners who will maintain two lanes blocking you, they are busy pinging or chatting up the slut beside them so no time to check whether a car is flashing them or not, u need to honk so they give you way else nah follow follow to ur destination.
Re: Horn Warriors by abatically(m): 4:48pm On Mar 10, 2015
nurey:

Now I don't only drive with care, I take precautionary motive while driving reason for honking unusually, lagos drivers drive like hardened criminals on the run, if you try to use the horn judiciously, u may be end up dead b4 ur time.

I have been driving in Lagos for 3+ years now and I don't honk unnecessarily, why haven't I died, hit someone or get my car dented? Let's be truthful here, to all u horn warriors, it has become a reflex action, a habit, so whether someone is on the road or not, u just honk. Try not making it a habit, make up ur mind to reduce the way u honk and u will find out it is very possible to drive in Lagos without unnecessary honking. Acting like a maniac is not the best way to treat s maniac.
Re: Horn Warriors by Nixon55(m): 5:32pm On Mar 10, 2015
Not using horn in PH Hmmm.. I don't want to find out because a lot of the guys here are so daft.
However I don't honk unless it is necessary and most times they are necessary!!
Re: Horn Warriors by Nobody: 8:21pm On Mar 10, 2015
nurey:
When my brother came in from the US, he was alarmed at how often I use the horn but still surprised how patient I was at driving, infact he said I gave way to easily even when I had right of way, he didn't know I was extra patient cause
1. The car I was driving wasn't mind so can't risk bashing it
2. I was driving a full size SUV which needs patients or I did just ram into cars by my side.

1. Drivers only trafficate or use pointer after they have move to that lane not b4 so if u driving and u see a car close to the demarcation road lines u need to honk before u pass else the driver sways to ur side and you inturn sway away a GT madman can also be coming at ur side if u sway to avoid one, u will eventually sway into one.

2. (This one is a major cause of denting and scratch on cars)Trailers, lorry, danfo don't use side mirror or trafficate (fact) they always expect u to give them way anytime they want to jump in ur front I always honk especially when there is gridlock so the driver can be informed I am coming from his side, if u don't honk, they are too busy calculating how much fuel they will waste so they don't check sides before jumping to it.

3. Those marwa are the worst, they just like to wriggle every where and anywhere, i know how my bumper, side skirt and tires (yes tires) have suffered in the hands of this keke marwa abi napep (tricycles) they always jump lane or move out b4 looking so I always honk b4 passing them if u don't and they just move into ur lane unexpectedly even if u brake unexpectedly, 2 tricycles will kiss ur bumper from the rear.

4. Private car owners who will maintain two lanes blocking you, they are busy pinging or chatting up the slut beside them so no time to check whether a car is flashing them or not, u need to honk so they give you way else nah follow follow to ur destination.

I have been driving those conditions for the past week now, have not used my horn.

I find that with patience and being a gentleman you can avoid using the horn unnecessarily.
Re: Horn Warriors by nurey(m): 8:39pm On Mar 10, 2015
abatically:

I have been driving in Lagos for 3+ years now and I don't honk unnecessarily, why haven't I died, hit someone or get my car dented? Let's be truthful here, to all u horn warriors, it has become a reflex action, a habit, so whether someone is on the road or not, u just honk. Try not making it a habit, make up ur mind to reduce the way u honk and u will find out it is very possible to drive in Lagos without unnecessary honking. Acting like a maniac is not the best way to treat s maniac.

I may not be able to define what you mean by honk unnecessarily but I never rest my palms on the horn no matter what, once is enough for me, I don't bother using horn early mornings and late in the evenings I have DRL so u are likely to know I am coming and the worst case scenario, I flash you.

I noticed from ikoyi to lekki I don't even use the horn at all, but around lagos island, yaba to the ikorodu road, just drive around there and you will understand.
Re: Horn Warriors by nurey(m): 8:42pm On Mar 10, 2015
CityNG:

I have been driving those conditions for the past week now, have not used my horn.

I find that with patience and being a gentleman you can avoid using the horn unnecessarily.

Then mr cityng, I will be waiting for you around ketu and mile12 let's see how patient you can be, before you go berserk with the horn grin
Re: Horn Warriors by Nobody: 1:17am On Mar 11, 2015
nurey:

Then mr cityng, I will be waiting for you around ketu and mile12 let's see how patient you can be, before you go berserk with the horn grin

I don't do Lagos, unfortunately grin
Re: Horn Warriors by t3ky(m): 1:13pm On Mar 11, 2015
Bros welcome to Ibadan. Hope you are enjoying the smooth roads. cheesy
Re: Horn Warriors by Nobody: 1:27pm On Mar 11, 2015
t3ky:
Bros welcome to Ibadan. Hope you are enjoying the smooth roads. cheesy

Thanks Bros.

What I don't understand why people still bother buying sedans instead of suv.
Re: Horn Warriors by talk2odim: 6:56am On Mar 12, 2015
CityNG:

Lagos, a place where even truck pushers now have horns. I tried to be stingy with honking once, the result.........a "courtesy" visit to the painter's workshop.
Re: Horn Warriors by nurey(m): 8:28am On Mar 12, 2015
talk2odim:

Lagos, a place where even truck pushers now have horns. I tried to be stingy with honking once, the result.........a "courtesy" visit to the painter's workshop.

You are very lucky, the last time I decided to do that, it was a week after a full body paint had been done, this danfo driver on sachet just scraped the living light on my sides crushing the side mirror I came down looked at the beautiful signature he had inscribed on the car, I looked at him, he had prostrated flat on the floor his mouth oozing of ethanol, I was very angry I got in the car and drove off taking my anger out on the wheel cause I was determined to use the wheel spanner to pummel him to death.
Re: Horn Warriors by billy187(m): 10:51am On Mar 12, 2015
nurey:

You are very lucky, the last time I decided to do that, it was a week after a full body paint had been done, this danfo driver on sachet just scraped the living light on my sides crushing the side mirror I came down looked at the beautiful signature he had inscribed on the car, I looked at him, he had prostrated flat on the floor his mouth oozing of ethanol, I was very angry I got in the car and drove off taking my anger out on the wheel cause I was determined to use the wheel spanner to pummel him to death.

grin grin
Re: Horn Warriors by DGD1(m): 5:34pm On Mar 12, 2015
CityNG:

oga check diz out

www.nairaland.com/2192603/d-25-insane-rules-driving
Re: Horn Warriors by Adesiji77: 9:32pm On Mar 12, 2015
CityNG:

But no horns.

A week? In Ibadan?

You are either a genius or simply fortunate.

I can't drive without a car horn in Ib for a day not to talk of a WEEK!

You have Micra taxis, Keke Napep and Okada to contend with cheesy
Re: Horn Warriors by Nobody: 10:42pm On Mar 12, 2015
Adesiji77:

A week? In Ibadan?

You are either a genius or simply fortunate.

I can't drive without a car horn in Ib for a day not to talk of a WEEK!

You have Micra taxis, Keke Napep and Okada to contend with cheesy

I'm neither a genus or fortunate, Judy simply a realistic and patient driver.

Two weeks now and so far it's good.

Allow the keke na pep to be themselves and just simply step around them.

PS: I'll upload a video when I get back to base next week, In Sha Allah.

(1) (Reply)

Lagos State State New Vehicle License Verification Website For Year 2020 / 35% Levy On Tokunbo Vehicles Begins July 1 / Gear Box: My Mechanic Wants To Kill Me. A Desperate Call For HELP!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.