Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,534 members, 7,816,304 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:12 AM

Were People In The Old Testament Really That Old? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Were People In The Old Testament Really That Old? (1221 Views)

Pics:archaeologists Discover The City Of Sodom & Gomorrah Matching Old Testament / Where Did The Old Testament Really End? / How Were People Solving Their Spiritual Issues When There Was No Christianity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Were People In The Old Testament Really That Old? by mcfynest(m): 9:59am On Mar 08, 2015
Many times in the Old Testament we see the life span of humans reaching great ages. Many as old as 900 years.

The Bible tells us that:

Adam lived 930 years. (Genesis 5:5)

Seth lived 912 years.(Genesis 5:cool

Methuselah lived 969 years.(Genesis 5:27)

And Noah lived 950 years. (Genesis 9:29)

Many people wonder how, or if this is possible.

"These great ages are not presented in the Bible as if they are in any way extraordinary for their times, let alone miraculous."
Carl Wieland Creation Ex Nihilo 20(4):10–13, September–November 1998

What is the answer? Did humans once have a much longer lifespan? If so, why is it that many people today do not live to be 100?

Some critics also claim that 900 years mentioned in the bible should not be taken literally, they say people counted months as years so to get the real age, we have to divide the age given in the bible and divide by 12 months.

Others claim that the seasons were counted has years also.

What do you think? Understanding this will make us understand many things going on in our days. Was that a different time? As so many questions that would be answered.

Feep free to add yours
Re: Were People In The Old Testament Really That Old? by mcfynest(m): 2:54pm On Mar 08, 2015
If people lived so old then and now we cant live up to a 100 years all things being equal!

Does that mean that God those not like our generation and He wants us to be recycled Asap
Re: Were People In The Old Testament Really That Old? by abitex577(m): 7:18pm On Mar 08, 2015
I have no doubt in my heart that the bible time people actually lived to a good old age, like 900+ years, if the bible told us at what age Jesus Christ started His ministry, and ended it at 33 yrs, the same measurement systems where in place.

Nevertheless, it is worthy to note that SIN has been a major contributor to making life shorter for man.
Re: Were People In The Old Testament Really That Old? by ojimbo(m): 8:09pm On Mar 08, 2015
Op. Che na now wey u know say u go reason? I tot ur bible is all true, why then are you having doubt now?
Re: Were People In The Old Testament Really That Old? by mcfynest(m): 10:53pm On Mar 08, 2015
abitex577:
I have no doubt in my heart that the bible time people actually lived to a good old age, like[b] 900+ years[/b] if the bible told us at what age Jesus Christ started His ministry, and ended it at 33 yrs, the same measurement systems where in place.

Nevertheless, it is worthy to note that SIN has been a major contributor to making life shorter for man.

@bolded, that means they lived close to a millenium, and you know the bible covers a period of say 6000 years, so logically, it doesnt sound right.

@Jesus issue, thats little over 2000 years ago and you see that He lived for 33 years, thats recent you know, and historically, not too different from our time, the bone of contention here is the old testament
Re: Were People In The Old Testament Really That Old? by mcfynest(m): 10:58pm On Mar 08, 2015
ojimbo:
Op. Che na now wey u know say u go reason? I tot ur bible is all true, why then are you having doubt now?

Ojimbo you and i know you dont realy understand what you just typed.

1 Like

Re: Were People In The Old Testament Really That Old? by twosquare(m): 11:15pm On Mar 08, 2015
mcfynest:
Many times in the Old Testament we see the life span of humans reaching great ages. Many as old as 900 years.

The Bible tells us that:

Adam lived 930 years. (Genesis 5:5)

Seth lived 912 years.(Genesis 5:cool

Methuselah lived 969 years.(Genesis 5:27)

And Noah lived 950 years. (Genesis 9:29)

Many people wonder how, or if this is possible.

"These great ages are not presented in the Bible as if they are in any way extraordinary for their times, let alone miraculous."
Carl Wieland Creation Ex Nihilo 20(4):10–13, September–November 1998

What is the answer? Did humans once have a much longer lifespan? If so, why is it that many people today do not live to be 100?

Some critics also claim that 900 years mentioned in the bible should not be taken literally, they say people counted months as years so to get the real age, we have to divide the age given in the bible and divide by 12 months.

Others claim that the seasons were counted has years also.

What do you think? Understanding this will make us understand many things going on in our days. Was that a different time? As so many questions that would be answered.

Feep free to add yours
you should know that those men were not ordinary men( In terms of living). They were alive in their soul and the amount of edenic life their soul trapped. As abitex577 mentioned something profound: SIN is a major contributor. That's why people hardly live up to a century. The day men's mind starts to journey back to the beginning and know that it is not normal to die, it is not normal to live a 100 yrs and pass on, aging as a dry leaf...then deliverance is near.

It is actual measurement and nothing wrong. Many of us have this absurd belief that those ancient men knows nothing or are crook in terms of knowledge. No, they are even more 'deadly' than us in knowledge and knew secrets we didn't know. These are men who knew God and lived by His knowledge. That's why they couldn't die easily because it took time for SIN to penetrate the covering in the human flesh by the reason of constant disobedience. When men fell into idolatory(which was started by Nimrod), satan finished men totally and God said his spirit shall not abide with men any longer because man has become flesh. He is now a grass, a flesh and not spirit again.

Some lived up to 900+ yrs and some didn't die. They escaped what some men were subjected to.
Re: Were People In The Old Testament Really That Old? by twosquare(m): 11:39pm On Mar 08, 2015
mcfynest:

@bolded, that means they lived close to a millenium, and you know the bible covers a period of say 6000 years, so logically, it doesnt sound right.

@Jesus issue, thats little over 2000 years ago and you see that He lived for 33 years, thats recent you know, and historically, not too different from our time, the bone of contention here is the old testament
you should know many of these patriarchs grew to know each other. They knew Adam, the first man and Eve the first woman. It is just like you growing up to know your granddad. Abraham grew up to know Noah later after the great deluge. So, most of the patriarchs grew up as the same time but just age difference that matters and some were born at the same time.

Jesus died at the age of 33yrs because it was necessary, if not, an angel will most likely picked Him up from earth. Voila, he is gone just like Enoch. But He achieved a feat within a space of 33yrs that Enoch have to call Him Lord, because Enoch saw someone who was superior to him in the faith walk. What took him 300+yrs, Jesus did it in 33yrs and there was no reason for Him to stay here again. So, Jesus died and resurrected again. Meaning He died in the flesh and came back again. It is like me dying and i woke up again in a morgue and since then I couldn't die again. So, technically, I did not really die( that is to die and stay dead like the former ones). So, since that day till now, Jesus is 2033(approx) yrs old and not dead nor does He age a second. Death seized by the reason of His obedience to the Life of the Father, loving righteousness and hating iniquity.

1 Like

Re: Were People In The Old Testament Really That Old? by mcfynest(m): 6:00pm On Mar 09, 2015
twosquare:
you should know that those men were not ordinary men( In terms of living). They were alive in their soul and the amount of edenic life their soul trapped. As abitex577 mentioned something profound: SIN is a major contributor. That's why people hardly live up to a century. The day men's mind starts to journey back to the beginning and know that it is not normal to die, it is not normal to live a 100 yrs and pass on, aging as a dry leaf...then deliverance is near.

It is actual measurement and nothing wrong. Many of us have this absurd belief that those ancient men knows nothing or are crook in terms of knowledge. No, they are even more 'deadly' than us in knowledge and knew secrets we didn't know. These are men who knew God and lived by His knowledge. That's why they couldn't die easily because it took time for SIN to penetrate the covering in the human flesh by the reason of constant disobedience. When men fell into idolatory(which was started by Nimrod), satan finished men totally and God said his spirit shall not abide with men any longer because man has become flesh. He is now a grass, a flesh and not spirit again.

Some lived up to 900+ yrs and some didn't die. They escaped what some men were subjected to.

Any scriptural backing
Re: Were People In The Old Testament Really That Old? by twosquare(m): 7:53pm On Mar 09, 2015
mcfynest:
[b]

Any scriptural backing
the testimony you need are in the lives of Enoch,Melchizedek, Elijah, Jesus and even the two men at the mount of Galilee during Ascension. 1 Thessalonians
4:13-18

New Living Translation
So just as sin ruled over all people and
brought them to death, now God's
wonderful grace rules instead, giving
us right standing with God and
resulting in eternal life through Jesus
Christ our Lord. Romans 5:21
Re: Were People In The Old Testament Really That Old? by mcfynest(m): 7:42am On Mar 10, 2015
twosquare:
the testimony you need are in the lives of Enoch,Melchizedek, Elijah, Jesus and even the two men at the mount of Galilee during Ascension. 1 Thessalonians
4:13-18

New Living Translation
So just as sin ruled over all people and
brought them to death, now God's
wonderful grace rules instead, giving
us right standing with God and
resulting in eternal life through Jesus
Christ our Lord. Romans 5:21

HMMMMMMMM

so there was no sin back then? what is the difference between sodom and gommorah's days and today? only advancement in technology but the way of life of the people are still same with today
Re: Were People In The Old Testament Really That Old? by twosquare(m): 8:59am On Mar 10, 2015
mcfynest:

HMMMMMMMM

so there was no sin back then? what is the difference between sodom and gommorah's days and today? only advancement in technology but the way of life of the people are still same with today
they are not the same per say...the reason God overthrew the city with hail stone and fire. It was a strange kind of lifestyle that was unveiled in the beginning of days and it was too early. Men lived upright but some fell into another kind of lifestyle that is anti- God in its fullness and this gave God no choice than to destroy them right from the earth. We are heading the way of Sodom and Gommorah and by the time we reach there, judgement shall fully come. Many nations are already into this and they are pressing forward in it, with the advanced nations championing its course. Then, shall the sayings of Isaiah 60:2 come to pass,"darkness shall cover the earth and deep darkness the people..."
Re: Were People In The Old Testament Really That Old? by MrPresident1: 5:35pm On Mar 10, 2015
There are not many individual people in the Bible. Many of the names in the Bible represented as single persons are actually a number of people. Jesus, Abraham, Paul, Peter etc., they are not the names of single individuals but of many people.

My hypothesis is that these are generational timelines not real ages, on this score, I stand to be corrected.
Re: Were People In The Old Testament Really That Old? by mcfynest(m): 7:39pm On Mar 10, 2015
MrPresident1:
There are not many individual people in the Bible. Many of the names in the Bible represented as single persons are actually a number of people. Jesus, Abraham, Paul, Peter etc., they are not the names of single individuals but of many people.

My hypothesis is that these are generational timelines not real ages, on this score, I stand to be corrected.

my oga, greeting to you sire.

i understand if Abraham was a nation, but definitely not Jesus Paul or Peter, this were humans o, and there were people who recorded about them.

eg- Josephus

(1) (Reply)

Is My Sin Forgivable???? / Deliverance Madness Going On In Most Churches / Pregnant Teenager Claims Jesus Christ Impregnated Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.