Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,166 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:23 AM

Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant (7207 Views)

Lady Asked To Submit Winners Chapel Tithing Card For Employment / See Why Tithing Is Never A Command To Be Observed In Churches (Proofs) / Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by Koolking(m): 5:59pm On Mar 10, 2015
I am a staunch believer in 'giving' and 'charity' and strong opponent to tithing, as I believe tithing is an annulled practice. We belong to the order of Priesthood of Jesus Christ and not Aaron (to whom tithe law was made). The New covenant also expunged us from tithing.

It is sad and absolutely disturbing to find that people are still hoodwinked, intimidated into tithing.

Below are some unbelievable truths about Tithing. You can add yours

Abraham never tithed on his own personal property or livestock.

Jacob wouldn’t tithe until God blessed him first.

Only Levite priests could collect tithes, and there are no Levite priests today.

Only food products from the land were tithable.

Money was never a tithable commodity.

Christian converts were never asked to tithe anything to the Church.

Tithing in the Church first appears centuries after completion of the Bible.

Jesus Christ never tithed while he was living among men. If tithing was a necessity He would have emphasized on it.

Tithing is mentioned only three or four times in the New Testament
Luke 11.42, Luke 18.12, Matthew 23.23 Jesus criticized the Pharisees not for tithing, but for treating tithing as more important than mercy, love, justice and faithfulness. Hebrews 7.1-10 The fact that Abraham was blessed by and gave tithes to Melchizedek illustrates the superiority of Melchizedek and Jesus Christ over the Levitical priesthood. “when the priesthood is changed, the law must be changed also". Hebrews says that the old covenant is obsolete. The package of laws that commanded tithes to be given to the Levites is obsolete.

Humans should honor God by voluntarily returning some of the blessings he gives them through giving and charity — this is still a valid principle.

8 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by Tallesty1(m): 6:02pm On Mar 10, 2015
Ok........

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by OkuDiOver1(f): 6:59pm On Mar 10, 2015
Ok
Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by NnaNna4(m): 9:24pm On Mar 10, 2015
No part of the scriptures is irrelevant. If u don't pay tithe its sinful because it is a command ment
Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by Nobody: 1:04am On Mar 11, 2015
Koolking:
I am a staunch believer in 'giving' and 'charity' and strong opponent to tithing, as I believe tithing is an annulled practice. We belong to the order of Priesthood of Jesus Christ and not Aaron (to whom tithe law was made). The New covenant also expunged us from tithing.

It is sad and absolutely disturbing to find that people are still hoodwinked, intimidated into tithing.

Below are some the unbelievable truths about Tithing. You can add yours

Abraham never tithed on his own personal property or livestock.

Jacob wouldn’t tithe until God blessed him first.

Only Levite priests could collect tithes, and there are no Levite priests today.

Only food products from the land were tithable.

Money was never a tithable commodity.

Christian converts were never asked to tithe anything to the Church.

Tithing in the Church first appears centuries after completion of the Bible.

Jesus Christ never tithed while he was living among men. If tithing was a necessity He would have emphasized on it.

Tithing is mentioned only three or four times in the New Testament
Luke 11.42, Luke 18.12, Matthew 23.23 Jesus criticized the Pharisees not for tithing, but for treating tithing as more important than mercy, love, justice and faithfulness. Hebrews 7.1-10 The fact that Abraham was blessed by and gave tithes to Melchizedek illustrates the superiority of Melchizedek and Jesus Christ over the Levitical priesthood. “when the priesthood is changed, the law must be changed also". Hebrews says that the old covenant is obsolete. The package of laws that commanded tithes to be given to the Levites is obsolete.

Humans should honor God by voluntarily returning some of the blessings he gives them through giving and charity — this is still a valid principle.
can you quote where Jesus Christ or anyone in the bible condemned/abolished tithing?

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by brocab: 2:11am On Mar 11, 2015
Can you quote where Jesus Christ or anyone in the bible said we must tithe monies today?

This argument is not just about tithing-its more on the fact that you believers who tithe, are twisting bible scriptures around-for your own glory in financial gain.

Twisting God's O/Testament commandments, from what was once bring all your food tithes into the storehouse so my people will be fed

You who tithe, remember the Lord said: In Timothy 6:5, Men of corrupt MINDS destitute of the TRUTH, who suppose that godliness is a means of Gaining money.
The Lord then said: From such withdraw yourselves.

PROVE ME WRONG, says the Lord

Those who tithe monies is not scriptural.
shyna01:

can you quote where Jesus Christ or anyone in the bible condemned/abolished tithing?

5 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by NnaNna4(m): 6:06am On Mar 11, 2015
Tithe and Offerings go together, so if there is offering in new testament, tithing is equally biblical for both old and new testament believers.
Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by brocab: 8:34am On Mar 11, 2015
Don't forget the sacrificing?
Those three went together, you can't have one without the others.

NnaNna4:
Tithe and Offerings go together, so if there is offering in new testament, tithing is equally biblical for both old and new testament believers.

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by Koolking(m): 12:51pm On Mar 11, 2015
shyna01:

Can you quote where Jesus Christ or anywhere in the New Testament that asked Christians to pay tithe?

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by Koolking(m): 1:06pm On Mar 11, 2015
shyna01:

Hebrews 7:18. "For there is verily a DISANNULLING of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof". This is the verse that CANCELS tithing in the New Testament under the covenant of Grace of our Lord Jesus.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by brocab: 10:24pm On Mar 11, 2015
Listen to all who tithe.
Us non tithers are not against you because you tithe, our argument is "how you tithe".

Our argument is more on the fact, how it took one man to change bible history in seconds, and it took God 6 days to create the heavens & the earth and everything in it.

The bible took years to write, and it took that time for each verse to line up with scriptures, from Old testament to the New testament, in prefect order as the Lord had written it "Himself."

Everything God had written in the bible, was given to us so we could learn about Him and His Son, we have a choice to either believe in Him and obey His written word, or we don't believe.

This argument is not just about tithing-it's about how you believers are choosing to tithe, and your kind of tithing does not line up with the word of God.
It's not scriptural.

From the Pharisees to the pastors until this day, the tithing messages have been twisted & turned: far from the truth-this false doctrine has taken you further away from any truth the Lord has written.
You are working against the word of God.

It was the Lord who had giving us warning about changing any word written in the bible.

You are walking on a very fine line I must say:

Revelation 22:18-19, "For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of this book of this prophecy, God shall take away-his part from the book of life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

If you aren't sure how the bible is written-Pray to the Lord, ask Him to guide your way to the truth and the life in Jesus name.
The truth will set you free.

If you insist on tithing the way God had commanded the Jews to do, then at least do it as it's written.
Malcahi 3:8-10, bring all your tithes into the store house that there may be food for my house, And prove Me now in this," Say's the Lord of host.

1 Timothy 5:22 The Lord say's don't share in other people's sins, keep yourself pure.
Stealing is a sin & twisting and changing the words of this book, for financial Gain, is another sin, you are robbing God, what you do to us, you do to Him.

1 Timothy 6: men of corrupt minds destitute of the truth, who suppose that godliness is the means of Gaining money.
From such withdraw yourselves.

Amen

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by CANTICLES: 10:31am On Mar 12, 2015
NnaNna4:
No part of the scriptures is irrelevant. If u don't pay tithe its sinful because it is a command ment

The Op isnt saying any part of scripture is irrelevant , or do u still sacrifice animals for forgiveness of sins despite its part of the scripture?

the point is that tithing has been cancelled under the new covenant.

UNTIL YOU ARE ABLE TO SHOW US WHERE JESUS AND HIS APOSTLES COLLECT TITHES .

6 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by Emusan(m): 11:26am On Mar 12, 2015
CANTICLES:
The Op isnt saying any part of scripture is irrelevant , or do u still sacrifice animals for forgiveness of sins despite its part of the scripture?

Did he say he still sacrifices animal?

the point is that tithing has been cancelled under the new covenant.

Where

UNTIL YOU ARE ABLE TO SHOW US WHERE JESUS AND HIS APOSTLES COLLECT TITHES.

UNTIL YOU'RE ALSO ABLE TO SHOW US WHERE JESUS AND HIS APOSTLES CANCELLED TITHES.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by PastorKun(m): 2:03pm On Mar 12, 2015
Emusan:

Where

UNTIL YOU'RE ALSO ABLE TO SHOW US WHERE JESUS AND HIS APOSTLES CANCELLED TITHES.

Tithes was cancelled in Hebrews 7:18, you have to read from verse 5 to understand the full context of that passage.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by PastorKun(m): 2:05pm On Mar 12, 2015
Emusan:

Where

Besides if you are tithing according to the scriptures then it must be done exactly as instructed in scriptures and not the twisted man made version taught in churches today.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by Koolking(m): 2:16pm On Mar 12, 2015
Emusan:

Where

Jesus and His Apostles never concerned themselves about tithing as a necessity for God's blessing. Rather, Jesus emphasized on giving and love for our neighbours as Christ loves us.

Please at your quiet time, study Hebrews 7 vs 11-18 with the spirit of discernment, you will be glad you did.

Hebrews 7:11 begins to draw a contrast between levitical priesthood being imperfect and the need for another priesthood in the pattern or order of Melchizedek and no longer after the order of Aaron.

Hebrews 7:12 mentions when the priesthood (of Levi) is CHANGED, there MUST also be change of the law. The question is what law MUST be changed? It is the entire law governing the Levitical priesthood that is changed? If the priesthood is changed from order of Aaron to order of Melchizedek, this change MUST also necessitate change of law governing the priesthood of Levi\Aaron. This means that, tithing which was one of the laws governing levitical priesthood was also changed.

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by brocab: 2:20pm On Mar 12, 2015
Well said- cool
PastorKun:

Besides if you are tithing according to the scriptures then it must be done exactly as instructed in scriptures and not the twisted man made version taught in churches today.
Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by brocab: 11:49pm On Mar 12, 2015
Then at least if you are choosing to pay tithes, then do it the way God said to do it?
Do it the way the Jews tithed.

But if you chose to do it your own way-then its you working against God's law to tithe.

NnaNna4:
Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by Hope6289(f): 2:28am On Mar 13, 2015
I don't think tithing should be attached/restricted to the old covenant. Abraham wasn't under the law when he gave tithe to Melchizedek, a King and Priest of God (Genesis 14:20, Hebrews 7:1,2), since the law came through Moses. I think tithing has to do with personal conviction and a cheerful spirit. U shd pay tithe to honor God not to please a Pastor. What I don't support is Pastors preaching about tithes in ways that are not reflected in Scriptures, e.g. asking people to pay more than 10% if they want more of God's blessings
Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by PastorKun(m): 7:24am On Mar 13, 2015
Hope6289:
I don't think tithing should be attached/restricted to the old covenant. Abraham wasn't under the law when he gave tithe to Melchizedek, a King and Priest of God (Genesis 14:20, Hebrews 7:1,2), since the law came through Moses. I think tithing has to do with personal conviction and a cheerful spirit. U shd pay tithe to honor God not to please a Pastor. What I don't support is Pastors preaching about tithes in ways that are not reflected in Scriptures, e.g. asking people to pay more than 10% if they want more of God's blessings

Paying tithes of money from income is also not reflected in scriptures. smiley
Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by Hope6289(f): 11:04am On Mar 13, 2015
PastorKun:

Paying tithes of money from income is also not reflected in scriptures. smiley

Okay smiley but that was their own kind of income in those days and ours in these days is money but anyway, when God's truth is revealed, we'll all understand things we need to. Until then, I'll keep tithing, not because I have to but because I want to.
Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by PastorKun(m): 2:23pm On Mar 13, 2015
Hope6289:

Okay smiley but that was their own kind of income in those days and ours in these days is money but anyway, when God's truth is revealed, we'll all understand things we need to. Until then, I'll keep tithing, not because I have to but because I want to.

You are not correct people made income of money as far back as genesis in the old testament. We also have biblical evidence that money was widely used in old testament days yet it wasn't considered tithable.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by Koolking(m): 4:35pm On Mar 13, 2015
Hope6289:

I will rather, you give to your unfortunate neighbor than to he who has already in full. There is more dignity and bravery in making a change in someone who needs financial help than he who feels it's your conditional obligation. The choice is yours.

Thanks for your opinion. Someone has learnt a thing.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by Hope6289(f): 1:32am On Mar 14, 2015
Koolking:

I will rather, you give to your unfortunate neighbor than to he who has already in full. There is more dignity and bravery in making a change in someone who needs financial help than he who feels it's your conditional obligation. The choice is yours.

Thanks for your opinion. Someone has learnt a thing.

smiley thank you too, we all have our opinions sha. I give to charity too, in fact that's my best way of giving cos it gives me this joy that I'm helping someone. I just hv that feeling d church needs d tithe and I pay it there and give charity separately. But anyway, I've learnt too.
Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by ETHIX(m): 6:27am On Mar 14, 2015
I write this piece with a mixed feels and also sad how the devil has manipulated us through ignorance.

I got a very good job around 2008 which by the grace of God am still doing now. I find it very difficult and believed without my tithe the church I attend can still function well. Also my tithe is above the minimum wage I see no reason why I should pay tithe and it doesn't bother me. Yes! I do charity, I give people money sometimes even above my tithe but most times below it.

3 years later I got married, I was happy but something g happened along the line, my wife had 3 miscarriages within a year of marriage and am always in debt despite my huge monthly income. There were usually someone I was owing.

We went to church to pray, went for deliverance and fasted several days after confirming from the hospital that we are both ok medically.

After a year of fruitless effort to get the fruit of the womb, I tot to my self that am gonna pay my tithe no matter what but something kept telling me not to pay cos of my outstanding debt but I refused to listen to the word cos I wanted to know if not paying my tithe has any implications. Sincerely and honestly, the following month my wife got pregnant and we were shocked! We did not celebrate it thinking it would still come down like the previous ones. But when we calculated the LMP we realised it was the week I paid my tithe the previous month my wife took in. We did not inform any body about the pregnancy.

The following month I paid my tithe, settled my debts and was able to save 25 percent of my salary. The following month I saved 45 percent. Today after paying my salary I still save up to 45 percent of my salary and I don't owe instead people are owing me.

9 months later my wife gave birth and we were so happy.

well, anybody may refrain or avoid tithe by quoting the bible to support their claim. My life got a meaning when I started paying tithe. Tithe will open doors where u least expect and get u happiness money cannot buy.

Please think about it

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by slap1(m): 6:43am On Mar 14, 2015
Koolking:

Can you quote where Jesus Christ or anywhere in the New Testament that asked Christians to pay tithe?
This issue has been bothering me for the past few days. I can only recall Jesus Christ paying tax.
Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by slap1(m): 7:34am On Mar 14, 2015
Hope6289:
I don't think tithing should be attached/restricted to the old covenant. Abraham wasn't under the law when he gave tithe to Melchizedek, a King and Priest of God (Genesis 14:20, Hebrews 7:1,2),
I read Hebrews 7 1-28 now and actually reread chapters 1-4 with my Igbo Bible to be sure of something. It says Abraham met Melchizedek when he (Abraham) was returning from slaughtering the kings and gave Melchizedek a tenth of the spoils (what he got from war).

I don't mean to twist the scriptures but what I understand here is that Abraham didn't go to Melchizedek because he wanted to pay his tithe; he gave Melchizedek a tenth of the spoils of war when he (Melchizedek) met him on his way back from war and blessed him. Again, those few verses were not about tithing but about Melchizedek. The verses described Melchizedek, telling us how great and powerful he was that even Abraham, a patriarch, gave a tenth of the spoils of war to him.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by Koolking(m): 6:26pm On Mar 14, 2015
ETHIX:
I write this piece with a mixed feels and also sad how the devil has manipulated us through ignorance.

I got a very good job around 2008 which by the grace of God am still doing now. I find it very difficult and believed without my tithe the church I attend can still function well. Also my tithe is above the minimum wage I see no reason why I should pay tithe and it doesn't bother me. Yes! I do charity, I give people money sometimes even above my tithe but most times below it.

3 years later I got married, I was happy but something g happened along the line, my wife had 3 miscarriages within a year of marriage and am always in debt despite my huge monthly income. There were usually someone I was owing.

We went to church to pray, went for deliverance and fasted several days after confirming from the hospital that we are both ok medically.

After a year of fruitless effort to get the fruit of the womb, I tot to my self that am gonna pay my tithe no matter what but something kept telling me not to pay cos of my outstanding debt but I refused to listen to the word cos I wanted to know if not paying my tithe has any implications. Sincerely and honestly, the following month my wife got pregnant and we were shocked! We did not celebrate it thinking it would still come down like the previous ones. But when we calculated the LMP we realised it was the week I paid my tithe the previous month my wife took in. We did not inform any body about the pregnancy.

The following month I paid my tithe, settled my debts and was able to save 25 percent of my salary. The following month I saved 45 percent. Today after paying my salary I still save up to 45 percent of my salary and I don't owe instead people are owing me.

9 months later my wife gave birth and we were so happy.

well, anybody may refrain or avoid tithe by quoting the bible to support their claim. My life got a meaning when I started paying tithe. Tithe will open doors where u least expect and get u happiness money cannot buy.

Please think about it

Good for you if you believe your turnaround was as a result of paying tithe. That still does not approve of tithing. The Bible never support tithing. An unbeliever prospers because he has faith and unquenchable believes in his skills and competencies. So things work for us according to our believes. Personally I believe in giving, charity and not tithing. Tithing is a grand deception use by modern day so called men of God to rip members and amass wealth

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by Emusan(m): 10:04am On Mar 16, 2015
What I see as the major point in you people’s post is the emphasis on verse 11, 12 & 18.
@Koolking says I should read from verse 11-18 and @Pastorkun says I should start from verse 5 so that I can understand the FULL CONTEXT of the passage but I will like us to start from verse 1 so that we can both understand the FULL CONTEXT of the passage. In fact I so much love how @koolking interpreted that verse 11 as quoted “begins to draw a contrast between levitical priesthood being imperfect and the need for another priesthood in the pattern or order of Melchizedek and no longer after the order of Aaron.” BUT I disagree with your concluded part “This means that, TITHING which was one of the LAWS governing levitical priesthood was also change.” The reason why I disagree with it is that, TITHING predated the LAW and the laws was ONLY a regulation on who have right to collect TITHE which was later placed at Levi TRIBE.

Now back to the analysis of Hebrew 7:1-18
NOTE: The Bible verse will appear in color

Verse 1-3, was about the attributes of Melchizedek and the blessing he placed upon Abraham before Abraham paid Tithe of all to him: “This Melchizedek was king of the city of Salem and also a priest of God Most High. When Abraham was returning home after winning a great battle against the kings, Melchizedek met him and blessed him. Then Abraham took a tenth of all he had captured in battle and gave it to Melchizedek. The name Melchizedek means “king of justice,” and king of Salem means “king of peace.” There is no record of his father or mother or any of his ancestors—no beginning or end to his life. He remains a priest forever, resembling the Son of God.”

Verse 4, emphasized on how the great Abraham could RECOGNISE the greatness of Melchizedek the unknown priest: “Consider then how great this Melchizedek was. Even Abraham, the great patriarch of Israel, recognized this by giving him a tenth of what he had taken in battle.”

Verse 5, is about how the priesthood was placed in the tribe of Levi who are the descendant of Abraham to collect Tithe NOT that Tithe was established through them: “Now the law of Moses required that the priests, who are descendants of Levi, must collect a tithe from the rest of the people of Israel, who are also descendants of Abraham.”

Verse 6, emphasized on how Melchizedek who had not his ORIGIN in Abraham or his linage could collect TITHE from Abraham himself whom even the linage of PRIESTS who collected tithe was placed: ”But Melchizedek, who was not a descendant of Levi, collected a tenth from Abraham. And Melchizedek placed a blessing upon Abraham, the one who had already received the promises of God.”

Verse 7 -8, point out that, Melchizedek has POWER to bless as he blessed Abraham which means he is far greater than Abraham, and most importantly the Levitical priest are just human as they die and another priest is being raised to continue in collection of TITHE but Melchizedek LIVES forever which means his own collection of tithe continues: “And without question, the person who has the power to give a blessing is greater than the one who is blessed. The priests who collect tithes are men who die, so Melchizedek is greater than they are, because we are told that he lives on.”

Verse 9-10, these verses made it clear that even the CHOSEN Levite priests who collected tithe ALSO paying tithe indirectly to Melchizedek as a result of what Abraham did: “In addition, we might even say that these Levites—the ones who collect the tithe—paid a tithe to Melchizedek when their ancestor Abraham paid a tithe to him. For although Levi wasn’t born yet, the seed from which he came was in Abraham’s body when Melchizedek collected the tithe from him.”

Verse 11, though this verse needs an in-depth attention because without that, verse 12 couldn’t be understood. The main point here is that, the LAWS which is to govern who can collect Tithe, how Tithe should be collected and what to Tithe was based on the PRIESTHOOD of LEVI this is more evident since TITHING predated the govern laws and not that TITHING was established the very day the law was given: “So if the priesthood of Levi, on which the law was based, could have achieved the perfection God intended, why did God need to establish a different priesthood, with a priest in the order of Melchizedek instead of the order of Levi and Aaron?” So here a new priesthood needs to be established in the ORDER of Melchizedek who LIVES forever.

Verse 12, with what we understood from verse 11 above on how the LAW was BASED on the PRIESTHOOD, so since the priesthood must be change; that is, changing from mortal men priests to immortal man priest, the law THAT BASED this PRIESTHOOD on LEVI TRIBE MUST also changes because this new immortal man priest won’t come from the tribe of Levi: [color=brown]“And if the priesthood is changed, the law must also be changed to permit it.”
This is more reinforced in verse 13.

Verse 13-14, since the law had placed PRIESTHOOD on Levi tribe and the new PRIEST who never comes from this tribe MUST replaced the mortal men priests then the law who established the Levitical PRIESTHOOD must also change: “For the priest we are talking about belongs to a different tribe, whose members have never served at the altar as priests. What I mean is, our Lord came from the tribe of Judah, and Moses never mentioned priests coming from that tribe.”

Verse 15, now that a new priest had arrived in the ORDER of Melchizedek.
1) The mortal Levitcal priests always chosen according to the law has been dissolved which means we’re no longer having a priest chosen in the law.

2) And since the new immortal priest in the ORDER of Melchizedek who collected Tithe and lives forever has appeared then TITHING continues: “This change has been made very clear since a different priest, who is like Melchizedek, has appeared.”

Verse 16, shows that Jesus as a new priest wasn’t qualified to be the priest if we should follow the requirement of the law as He did not come from Levi tribe: “Jesus became a priest, not by meeting the physical requirement of belonging to the tribe of Levi, but by the power of a life that cannot be destroyed.”

Verse 17, And the psalmist pointed this out when he prophesied, “You are a priest forever in the order of Melchizedek.”

Verse 18, this is the crucial part. It was the REQUIREMENT of chosen the PRIESTHOOD that was set aside/disannulled not TITHING itself. “Yes, the old requirement about the priesthood was set aside because it was weak and useless.” This requirement must set aside since the NEW priest isn’t going to come from Levi TRIBE.

(Though I need not to read into the word of God here because it was not only REQUIREMENT about the priesthood that was set aside, as we later read from the scriptures that some other things were set aside as well which one also PREDATED the day the office of the priests were established i.e BURNT OFFERRING but according to this verse it is only “the requirement of chosen priest that disannulled” which is the main point the writer wants to bring out by considering the preceding verse 16.)

If you’re not being paying TITHE consider these:
1) The mortal men priests have been change to an immortal man priest in the ORDER of Melchizedek.
2) One of the rites performed by Melchizedek is that he collected TITHE from Abraham even when the Levitical priesthood has not been set up.
3) So TITHING never cancelled according to this chapter rather there's an immortal priest who had replaced the mortal men priest in the ORDER of Melchizedek.

All quotations are from New Living Translation (NLT)

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by brocab: 10:09am On Mar 16, 2015
As I say as long as you are obeying God's laws in tithing, we have no argument bring all your food tithes into the storehouse so my people will be fed
Emusan:
What I see as the major point in you people’s post is the emphasis on verse 11, 12 & 18.
@Koolking says I should read from verse 11-18 and @Pastorkun says I should start from verse 5 so that I can understand the FULL CONTEXT of the passage but I will like us to start from verse 1 so that we can both understand the FULL CONTEXT of the passage. In fact I so much love how @koolking interpreted that verse 11 as quoted “begins to draw a contrast between levitical priesthood being imperfect and the need for another priesthood in the pattern or order of Melchizedek and no longer after the order of Aaron.” BUT I disagree with your concluded part “This means that, TITHING which was one of the LAWS governing levitical priesthood was also change.” The reason why I disagree with it is that, TITHING predated the LAW and the laws was ONLY a regulation on who have right to collect TITHE which was later placed at Levi TRIBE.

Verse 1-3, was about the attributes of Melchizedek and the blessing he placed upon Abraham before Abraham paid Tithe of all to him: “This Melchizedek was king of the city of Salem and also a priest of God Most High. When Abraham was returning home after winning a great battle against the kings, Melchizedek met him and blessed him. Then Abraham took a tenth of all he had captured in battle and gave it to Melchizedek. The name Melchizedek means “king of justice,” and king of Salem means “king of peace.” There is no record of his father or mother or any of his ancestors—no beginning or end to his life. He remains a priest forever, resembling the Son of God.”

Verse 4, emphasized on how the great Abraham could RECOGNISE the greatness of Melchizedek the unknown priest: “Consider then how great this Melchizedek was. Even Abraham, the great patriarch of Israel, recognized this by giving him a tenth of what he had taken in battle.”

Verse 5, is about how the priesthood was placed in the tribe of Levi who are the descendant of Abraham to collect Tithe NOT that Tithe was established through them: “Now the law of Moses required that the priests, who are descendants of Levi, must collect a tithe from the rest of the people of Israel, who are also descendants of Abraham.”

Verse 6, emphasized on how Melchizedek who had not his ORIGIN in Abraham or his linage could collect TITHE from Abraham himself whom even the linage of PRIESTS who collected tithe was placed: ”But Melchizedek, who was not a descendant of Levi, collected a tenth from Abraham. And Melchizedek placed a blessing upon Abraham, the one who had already received the promises of God.”

Verse 7 -8, point out that, Melchizedek has POWER to bless as he blessed Abraham which means he is far greater than Abraham, and most importantly the Levitical priest are just human as they die and another priest is being raised to continue in collection of TITHE but Melchizedek LIVES forever which means his own collection of tithe continues: “And without question, the person who has the power to give a blessing is greater than the one who is blessed. The priests who collect tithes are men who die, so Melchizedek is greater than they are, because we are told that he lives on.”

Verse 9-10, these verses made it clear that even the CHOSEN Levite priests who collected tithe ALSO paying tithe indirectly to Melchizedek as a result of what Abraham did: “In addition, we might even say that these Levites—the ones who collect the tithe—paid a tithe to Melchizedek when their ancestor Abraham paid a tithe to him. For although Levi wasn’t born yet, the seed from which he came was in Abraham’s body when Melchizedek collected the tithe from him.”

Verse 11, though this verse needs an in-depth attention because without that, verse 12 couldn’t be understood. The main point here is that, the LAWS which is to govern who can collect Tithe, how Tithe should be collected and what to Tithe was based on the PRIESTHOOD of LEVI this is more evident since TITHING predated the govern laws and not that TITHING was established the very day the law was given: “So if the priesthood of Levi, on which the law was based, could have achieved the perfection God intended, why did God need to establish a different priesthood, with a priest in the order of Melchizedek instead of the order of Levi and Aaron?” So here a new priesthood needs to be established in the ORDER of Melchizedek who LIVES forever.

Verse 12, with what we understood from verse 11 above on how the LAW was BASED on the PRIESTHOOD, so since the priesthood must be change; that is, changing from mortal men priests to immortal man priest, the law THAT BASED this PRIESTHOOD on LEVI TRIBE MUST also changes because this new immortal man priest won’t come from the tribe of Levi: [color=brown]“And if the priesthood is changed, the law must also be changed to permit it.”

Verse 13-14, since the law had placed PRIESTHOOD on Levi tribe and the new PRIEST who never comes from this tribe MUST replaced the mortal men priests then the law who established the Levitical PRIESTHOOD must also change: “For the priest we are talking about belongs to a different tribe, whose members have never served at the altar as priests. What I mean is, our Lord came from the tribe of Judah, and Moses never mentioned priests coming from that tribe.”

1) The mortal Levitcal priests always chosen according to the law has been dissolved which means we’re no longer having a priest chosen in the law.

2) And since the new immortal priest in the ORDER of Melchizedek who collected Tithe and lives forever has appeared then TITHING continues: “This change has been made very clear since a different priest, who is like Melchizedek, has appeared.”

Verse 16, shows that Jesus as a new priest wasn’t qualified to be the priest if we should follow the requirement of the law as He did not come from Levi tribe: “Jesus became a priest, not by meeting the physical requirement of belonging to the tribe of Levi, but by the power of a life that cannot be destroyed.”

Verse 17, And the psalmist pointed this out when he prophesied, “You are a priest forever in the order of Melchizedek.”

Verse 18, this is the crucial part. It was the REQUIREMENT of chosen the PRIESTHOOD that was set aside/disannulled not TITHING itself. “Yes, the old requirement about the priesthood was set aside because it was weak and useless.” This requirement must set aside since the NEW priest isn’t going to come from Levi TRIBE.

(Though I need not to read into the word of God here because it was not only REQUIREMENT about the priesthood that was set aside, as we later read from the scriptures that some other things were set aside as well which one also PREDATED the day the office of the priests were established i.e BURNT OFFERRING but according to this verse it is only “the requirement of chosen priest that disannulled” which is the main point the writer wants to bring out by considering the preceding verse 16.)

1) The mortal men priests have been change to an immortal man priest in the ORDER of Melchizedek.
2) One of the rites performed by Melchizedek is that he collected TITHE from Abraham even when the Levitical priesthood has not been set up.
3) So TITHING never cancelled according to this chapter rather there's an immortal priest who had replaced the mortal men priest in the ORDER of Melchizedek.
Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by PastorKun(m): 12:43pm On Mar 16, 2015
Emusan:

All quotations are from New Living Translation (NLT)

I don't have much time to dissect and point out all your faulty submissions and essigesis but one thing to note is that Abraham's one off voluntary tithe was voluntary, not of his inc0ome and there is no suggestion in sc0riptures that believers should emulate this one off practise albeit on a regular basis. That said if according to your illogical reasoning christians are still meant to tithe based on your twisted interpretation of that passage, how come there is no record of tithing in the early church? How come the apostles never preached or collected tithes?

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant by Emusan(m): 2:03pm On Mar 16, 2015
PastorKun:
I don't have much time to dissect and point out all your faulty submissions and essigesis but one thing to note is that Abraham's one off voluntary tithe was voluntary, not of his inc0ome and there is no suggestion in sc0riptures that believers should emulate this one off practise albeit on a regular basis. That said if according to your illogical reasoning christians are still meant to tithe based on your twisted interpretation of that passage, how come there is no record of tithing in the early church? How come the apostles never preached or collected tithes?

Whether Abraham TITHE is voluntary or not is not the point I brought out from that scripture. Remember what I said before you and @koolking quoted my post was UNTIL YOU'RE ALSO ABLE TO SHOW US WHERE JESUS AND HIS APOSTLES CANCELLED TITHES and both of you pointed to Hebrew 7:18 which I went ahead to show you people this particular verse wasn't talking about disannulling of tithe.

@bolded-where did I twist anything on that passage?

So if there is no record of tithe in early Church is not my point here, my point is the statement I made before you people quoted my post.

So I'm still expecting you people to show me where TITHING was cancelled in the Bible.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Old Catholic Apostolic Church Now In Ado Ekiti / Prayer Points On Today's Open Heavens Sunday, October 31, 2021 / Can A Christian Still Be Under A Curse?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.