Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,763 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo (54361 Views)

Oyinbo Woman Pays Homage To Oba Of Benin In His Palace. Photos / Oyinbo People Greet Ooni Ogunwusi At A Get-Together In New York.Pics / Etymology Of Yoruba Greetings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 10:28pm On Mar 14, 2015
Aigbofa:

Did ibos even call themselves ibo or Igbo before the white man? Why would ibos call the white man onye ibo which translates to ibo man in their own language?

"Oyinbo" was most likely introduced to the ibos through the missionaries who were already being called oyinbo inYorubaland.
Lmao grin bigfrancis pls help us answer this

Will a cat call a dog "cat"?

3 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bokohalal(m): 10:31pm On Mar 14, 2015
The peoples of the Niger delta who developed the Nigerian Pidgin (not creole) invented the word OYIBO, OYINBO, OIBO,EBO AND EBOH.
The first people to come in touch with Europeans were the Itsekiris, Edos, Izons and the Urhobos (in no particular order.) Their history and language is replete with contact with Europe.
Edos, for example, have been adorning themselves in beads for centuries. Many fruits and vegetables are variation of the original European word. Trade and diplomatic relations were established. Christianity first tried to get a foothold in modern Nigeria through Benin and later, Warri.
Since a people's history could also be gleaned through songs, an Edo song about beads and it's relationship to OIBO, is enough to answer the origin of the word OYIBO, and in its various forms, today.
Ivie ne OYIBO du mwun rre
Ivie ne OYIBO du mwun rre......
is popular and timeless in Edo music.
In religion, music, history and language, OYIBO ,in its many forms, conclusively, is a Niger delta word with the Binis using their vast influence to spread it.

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bokohalal(m): 10:33pm On Mar 14, 2015
The first recorded contact of Europeans and West Africans, was with Benin!
What did the Binis call the Europeans?
OYIBO!
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by ChristyG(f): 10:42pm On Mar 14, 2015
bokohalal:
The peoples of the Niger delta who developed the Nigerian Pidgin (not creole) invented the word OYIBO, OYINBO, OIBO,EBO AND EBOH.
The first people to come in touch with Europeans were the Itsekiris, Edos, Izons and the Urhobos (in no particular order.) Their history and language is replete with contact with Europe.
Edos, for example, have been adorning themselves in beads for centuries. Many fruits and vegetables are variation of the original European word. Trade and diplomatic relations were established. Christianity first tried to get a foothold in modern Nigeria through Benin and later, Warri.
Since a people's history could also be gleaned through songs, an Edo send about beads and it's relationship to OIBO, is enough to answer the origin of the word OYIBO, and in its various forms, today.
In religion, music, history and language, OYIBO ,in its many forms, conclusively, is a Niger delta word with the Binis using their vast influence to spread it.
grin grin grin nice folktale
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by makazona(m): 10:45pm On Mar 14, 2015
kaorama:

I did not intend to make this a trinal issue. The fact that we call the whites oyibo could be a subtle way people responded to their penchant for adulterating such words as Onyi Ibo. It is like when someone mis pronounces ur name, instead of picking offence, u call the person back the way the person called ur name.

Beautiful.u jst read my mind!!
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 10:49pm On Mar 14, 2015
macof:

Lmao grin bigfrancis pls help us answer this

Will a cat call a dog "cat"?

Yes, some Igbo people did refer to themselves Igbo, and that is how the identity of Igbo slaves taken to the Americas long before Nigeria's colonization was recorded. Town names in Igboland bearing 'Igbo' i.e. Igborere, Igbo-Ukwu, Umuigbo etc all attest to this fact. Till today, many Igbo families bear surnames with 'Igbo' attached to them i.e. Igbokwe, Igboamaeze, etc.

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 10:56pm On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:
stop trying to make silly claims

Yoruba people call it oyinbo. The rest of us who far outnumber south west call it oyibo. They both mean the same thing. Everyone but Yorubas know that.

Now stop quoting me and use google, sheesh!

I have seen claims by Urhobo saying "Oyibo" is from them and that's the only word used to refer to light skinned or Europeans
Unlike Igbos that have Beeke and Onye Ocha still very much used as always

According to ur wiki link, Oyibo in ijaw means Man nt light skin
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by GentleToks(m): 10:57pm On Mar 14, 2015
NigerMan1:

@ GentleToks

What you said above actually is a complete TRAGEDY of immense proportion. Generation twisting histories to suit their tribal and ethnic ego, and handing over useless habits to younger ones.

However it was wrong of you to solely accused the Igbos of this. Am already in my mid-40s and I can tell you is the same (perhaps stronger) among the Yorubas.

Vast majority of Yoruba will rather re-echo tribal stories and beliefs instead of investigating same. No they will never because such fallacies favours them. Even on this thread a Yoruba fellow said his 'grand mother told him something...' and he came to public to use his granny ethnic folklore to debunk others belief.

Also have you observed many Yorubas denigrate the Edos and their cultural value? Have you observed many so-called history the Yorubas spurn about Benin/Edo just to obliterate and subjugate the Edo values to the black race? Please tell me did you ever investigate any of those 'histories' to ascertain the truth or you also swallow book, line and sinker?

Just a while ago I responded to a Yoruba guy describing the Great Benin Empire as 'landlocked' and claiming Itsekiris are Ijebus. My friend did you believe such folklore as truths or research further?

I will like to hear from you...

You are .
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by SirShymexx: 10:59pm On Mar 14, 2015
bokohalal:
Since a people's history could also be gleaned through songs, an Edo song about beads and it's relationship to OIBO, is enough to answer the origin of the word OYIBO, and in its various forms, today.

Lol. Cool story, bruh.

You lot are slowly but surely turning to Igbos with hyperbole lol.

I heard Republic du Benin also took permission from ya king (according to him lol) before changing the name from Dahomey to Benin - and Bini folks also own Olokun (despite being landlocked); started terracotta; and the Bini empire extended all the way to Ghana lol. Ogisiso, the great gods of the sky - we hail thee looool.

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 11:02pm On Mar 14, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Yes, some Igbo people did refer to themselves Igbo, and that is how the identity of Igbo slaves taken to the Americas long before Nigeria's colonization was recorded. Town names in Igboland bearing 'Igbo' i.e. Igborere, Igbo-Ukwu, Umuigbo etc all attest to this fact. Till today, many Igbo families bear surnames with 'Igbo' attached to them i.e. Igbokwe, Igboamaeze, etc.

These Towns u mentioned have little to do with the western Igbos that use Oyibo "onye ibo" like u say
They didn't refer themselves as Igbo

Have u ever considered that since mostly Igbos under Bini use Oyibo then it must have been a result of Bini influence
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 11:04pm On Mar 14, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. Cool story, bruh.

I heard Republic du Benin also took permission from ya king (according to him lol) before changing the name from Dahomey to Benin - and Bini folks also own Olokun (despite being landlocked); started terracotta; and the Bini empire extended all the way to Ghana lol. Ogisiso, the great gods of the sky - we hail thee looool.

Oh the lies u get from edoworld and many edo websites
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by ladionline: 11:04pm On Mar 14, 2015
^You haven't answer macof. Were the Igbos of the time of Afro-European contact calling white men 'onyigbo' as though the Europeans were also Igbo?
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by SirShymexx: 11:09pm On Mar 14, 2015
macof:

Oh the lies u get from edoworld and many edo websites

Loool.

Those folks are a lost cause. You shouldn't even be telling that much lies when ya king is called "Oba" - a pure Yoruba name with no meaning in Bini language looool.

Anyway, I love Bini folks but their lies can be overbearing sometimes.

The same Bini folks who employed Itsekiri middlemen to trade with Europeans - the landlocked empire - allegedly met Europeans before everyone loool. Utter tosh. In that region, the Itsekiris and Ijos had contact with them before anyone else. And that was around 15th/16th century or so.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Adeyinka12(m): 12:04am On Mar 15, 2015
Eeeeeeh shi oo, no be igbo's
later they will claim they own the word's
oga
oya
agbada
gele
ejo
egbon
ogede
egusi
garii e.t.c
the worst part of it is when they borrow yoruba language with bad pronounciation like;
yoruba igbo
tolotolo torotoro
akuko okuko
imu imi e.t.c
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 12:14am On Mar 15, 2015
^ okuko and imi were borrowed from Yoruba. Really? REALLY?
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 12:17am On Mar 15, 2015
bokohalal:
The first recorded contact of Europeans and West Africans, was with Benin!
What did the Binis call the Europeans?
OYIBO!

IBO-White man in Esan/Edo. The Yoruba origin of the word Oyinbo is very plausible, but God dam.n you people need to get off that false sense of superiority.. it's quite nauseating.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 4:23am On Mar 15, 2015
macof:

These Towns u mentioned have little to do with the western Igbos that use Oyibo "onye ibo" like u say

Have u ever considered that since mostly Igbos under Bini use Oyibo then it must have been a result of Bini influence

You are ignorant of Igbo issues. Anambra (maybe Onitsha which I doubt), Enugu and Ebonyi states (Northern Igboland) were not under Bini kingdom. The areas under Bini Kingdom are the areas closer to Bini i.e. Ika/Agbor.

It still baffles me when you have no academic proof whatsoever to prove the origin of 'oyinbo' yet there's much evidence to prove the usage of 'oyibo' in Igboland dating back to the 18th century or more.

ezeagu:
"We have also markets, at which I have been frequently with my mother. These are sometimes visited by stout mahogany-coloured men from the south west of us: we call them Oye-Eboe, which term signifies red men living at a distance."

Olaudah Equiano, The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano, 1789. [Link]

"John Taylor and Ajai Crowther, were called by the people of Onitsha black Europeans, oyibo ojii, or native foreigners."

Augustine Okwu, Igbo Culture and the Christian Missions, 1857-1957, 2010. [Link]

"Other words, phonetically closer to 'ebo' (e.g.ibo,oyibo), also had classificatory meanings. In 1832, R. A. K. Oldfield recorded that on the middle reaches of the Niger near 'Eboe' (Aboh), locals hid in the bushes and called out to them what he heard as 'Oh, Eboe! Oh, Eboe!' (meaning 'White man, white man!'); in the 1850s at Onitsha another such 'stranger', Revd J.C. Taylor, was called by the people oibo, to mean 'whiteman'."

Paul E. Lovejoy, Identity in the Shadow of Slavery, 2009 [Link]

!!!
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 4:29am On Mar 15, 2015
Adeyinka12:
Eeeeeeh shi oo, no be igbo's
later they will claim they own the word's
ogo
oya
agbada
gele
ejo
egbon
ogede
egusi
garii e.t.c
the worst part of it is when they borrow yoruba language with bad pronounciation like;
yoruba igbo
tolotolo torotoro
akuko okuko
imu imi e.t.c

Lmao. Egusi and Garri are not Yoruba words. Egusi in Igbo is Egwusi. Rather, I think it is the other way round. I think you are not educated well-enough to know that Igbo people are an ancient people and the Nri civilization started at about 10AD and Ife 200 years later at 12AD. Igbo civilization is older than Yoruba civilization.

4 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bokohalal(m): 4:40am On Mar 15, 2015
aim5:

IBO-White man in Esan/Edo. The Yoruba origin of the word Oyinbo is very plausible, but God dam.n you people need to get off that false sense of superiority.. it's quite nauseating.
I am lost.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by ladionline: 4:53am On Mar 15, 2015
Justfollowit:

You can lie shocked
If you can call this a lie, where 'eebo' is first entertained, then you can continue playing to the gallery as UK-based Yoruba lady. Stop pretending to be who you are not cause you sound more intelligent than someone in need of cover-up. But if its a game to you, then continue, you have been bursted already.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bokohalal(m): 4:54am On Mar 15, 2015
SirShymexx:

Lol. Cool story, bruh.

Benin city is not in Chad or Niger republic. It is closer to the sea than most Yoruba communities. Gwatto (Ughoton) , a river port in Benin kingdom, leads directly to the sea. It was Benin Empire's major trading port with Europeans. The Portuguese even built a factory there. Ologbo and Siluko , on the west side of Benin Kingdom,are also river ports that could lead you directly to the Atlantic Ocean. The Europeans did not need middlemen to get to Benin!

The Itsekiris have closer historical and cultural ties with the Binis than with the Ijebus.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 4:56am On Mar 15, 2015
bokohalal:

I am lost.
First, I stated how Ibo means white person in Esan/Edo, which supports your claim. Then, I went on a tangent, saying that the Yoruba origin of the word Oyinbo also seems plausible, but that they stop with their false sense of superiority. Now you're not lost.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by ladionline: 5:05am On Mar 15, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Lmao. Egusi and Garri are not Yoruba words. Egusi in Igbo is Egwusi. Rather, I think it is the other way round. I think you are not educated well-enough to know that Igbo people are an ancient people and the Nri civilization started at about 10AD and Ife 200 years later at 12AD. Igbo civilization is older than Yoruba civilization.
Something is wrong with your chronology at the bolded. It is evidence-in-chief that you are careless with your assumptions and dates, it means you date desire outcome without timeline. Were you dating the creation of Ife/Nri civilization or artifact?
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bokohalal(m): 6:28am On Mar 15, 2015
aim5:

First, I stated how Ibo means white person in Esan/Edo, which supports your claim. Then, I went on a tangent, saying that the Yoruba origin of the word Oyinbo also seems plausible, but that they stop with their false sense of superiority. Now you're not lost.
Better. But it is EBO not IBO, in Esan.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Nobody: 6:37am On Mar 15, 2015
bokohalal:

Better. But it is EBO not IBO, in Esan.

It's both.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bokohalal(m): 6:38am On Mar 15, 2015
aim5:

It's both.
Okay.
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by Adeyinka12(m): 7:54am On Mar 15, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Garii and egusi is yoruba words,there is garii ifon garii ijebu ,garii pupa used to prepare eba and that of egusi,yoruba have the seed egusi,which is soup called egusi,igbos come to yoruba land and borrow words.and with your history what concern ife with this.note i'm not just a certificate holder i'm well educated

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by bigfrancis21: 8:25am On Mar 15, 2015
ladionline:
Something is wrong with your chronology at the bolded. It is evidence-in-chief that you are careless with your assumptions and dates, it means you date desire outcome without timeline. Were you dating the creation of Ife/Nri civilization or artifact?

The archaeology of Igbo-Ukwu revealed bronze artifacts dated to the 9th century A.D. which were initially discovered by Isiah Anozie in 1939 while digging a well in his compound in Igbo-Ukwu, an Igbo town in Anambra State, Nigeria. As a result of these finds, three archaeological sites were excavated in 1959 and 1964 by Thurstan Shaw which revealed more than 700 high quality artifacts of copper, bronze and iron, as well as about 165000 glass, carnelian and stone beads, pottery, textiles and ivory. They are the oldest bronze artifacts known in West African and were manufactured centuries before the emergence of other known bronze producing centers such as those of Ife and Benin. The bronzes include numerous ritual vessels, pendants, crowns, breastplates, staff ornaments, swords, and fly-whisk handles.[1]

The Igbo-Ukwu bronzes amazed the world with a very high level of technical and artistic proficiency and sophistication which was at this time distinctly more advanced than bronze casting in Europe.[2] Peter Garlake compares the Igbo-Ukwu bronzes "to the finest jewelry of rococo Europe or of Carl Faberge,"[3] and William Buller Fagg states they were created with "a strange rococo almost Faberge type virtuosity."[4] Frank Willett says that the Igbo-Ukwu bronzes portray a standard that is comparable to that established by Benvenuto Cellini five hundred years later in Europe.[5] Denis Williams calls them "an exquisite explosion without antecedent or issue."[6] One of the objects found, a water pot set in a mesh of simulated rope is described by Hugh Honour and John Fleming as

A virtuoso feat of cire perdue (lost wax) casting. Its elegant design and refined detailing are matched by a level of technical accomplishment that is notably more advanced than European bronze casting of this period.[2]

The high technical proficiency and lack of known prototypes of the Igbo-Ukwu bronzes led to initial speculation in the academic community that they must have been created after European contact and phantom voyagers were postulated. However research and isotope analysis has established that the source of the metals is of local origin and radio carbon dating has confirmed a 9th-century date, long before the earliest contact with Europe. The Igbo-Ukwu artifacts did away with the hitherto existing colonial era opinions in archeological circles that such magnificent works of art and technical proficiency could only originate in areas with contact to the outside world, or that they could not be crafted in an acephalous or egalitarian society such as that of the Igbo.[3] Some of the glass and carnelian beads have been found to be produced in Old Cairo at the workshops of Fustat thus establishing that trade contacts did exist between Igbo-Ukwu and ancient Egypt.[7][8][9][10] Archaeological sites containing iron smelting furnaces and slag have been excavated dating to 2000BC in Lejja and 750BC in Opi both in Nsukka region about 100 Kilometers east of Igbo-Ukwu.[11][12]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeology_of_Igbo-Ukwu

What else do you need to know? wink

2 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by ezeagu(m): 8:29am On Mar 15, 2015
macof:

Why don't you just stick to what you knooooow!?

[size=20pt]Igbuzo, Akwukwu Igbo[/size]

1 Like

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by NigerMan1: 8:29am On Mar 15, 2015
SirShymexx:

Loool.

Those folks are a lost cause. You shouldn't even be telling that much lies when ya king is called "Oba" - a pure Yoruba name with no meaning in Bini language looool.

Anyway, I love Bini folks but their lies can be overbearing sometimes.

The same Bini folks who employed Itsekiri middlemen to trade with Europeans - the landlocked empire - allegedly met Europeans before everyone loool. Utter tosh. In that region, the Itsekiris and Ijos had contact with them before anyone else. And that was around 15th/16th century or so.

@ SirShymexx

You did not reply my earlier reply to you. Why?

It seems you are in love with the word "landlocked'. Bro is that the new word you Yorubas invented to denigrate Benin/Edo to promote your Yoruba 'superior folktale'?

So a land that was landlocked was recorded and called an EMPIRE?

Bro do you know the real meaning of Empire? And do you know the qualities and features that made old European historians, events recorders, missionaries, sailors etc to use the term 'Empire' to qualified and described powerful kingdoms in the olden days?

Bro you need to go back and discover these salient facts first.

In addition, Benin Kingdom was the only one even described as "GREAT" among most black African Empires of old. Again you also need to do more research why?

Let me quickly say few things:

1) Benin Empire Was NOT Landlocked

It was the oldest and longest reigning Empire. It extended from present day Benin throughout the Niger River, conquering most communities in present day Niger Delta, Onitsha and environs, Niger state, Bayelsa, down to Lagos.

Monarchy were either established or promoted in all those thousands of communities. For example, some in Urhobho land, Itsekiri, Onitsha. The monarchy in Lagos was 100% Benin established.

2) You Are Guilty Of Same Error You Are Accusing The Igbos

By saying the Benin Empire was landlocked and stylishly promoting Yoruba folklore as fact (Ijebus established Itsekiri) you're not only lying but denigrating the the high value the Benin Empire brought to black race. You're re-echoing the age-long Yoruba lies, sentiments and barefaced denials to rubbish the Benin influence to present day Yoruba land.

3) Benin First Established Contact With Europeans

Why trying to change this fact? Maybe you don't know these were recorded by the Portuguese explorers, sailors and academics when they first forayed into Africa long, long before the French and British.

In fact there are records that they established agreement with Oba of Benin for trades, scholarship etc. And not only Benins enjoyed the scholarship but also slaves and people of lands under Benin Empire such as Ijaws, Itsekiris, Urhobhos, Igbo and many in the old Lagos.

4) Stop Your Yoruba Superiority Folktales

Can you see how easy for you to denigrate the massive achievements of one of the greatest Black Empires that ever existed? Can you smell your own odour of insults and sneer about us the Benin/Edos in your remarks?

And at the same time you easily put forward your Yoruba folktale as the truths? Can you decipher your own bias here? So according to you the Benin Empire was a ruse, while Yoruba 'history' handed to you by your parents and elders is sacrosanct?

So the history of Benin Obas and Ogisos were fake, but your Yoruba folktales and mythology of Oduduwa, Ijebu/Itsekiri land are all truths?

5) Ijebu Was Not An Empire

Am aghast you brought Ijebu into the mix. Sorry Ijebu was not a force to reckon with in the olden days; it was not an independent empire. We had only the Oyo and Great Benin Empires.

4 Likes

Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by NigerMan1: 8:35am On Mar 15, 2015
GentleToks:

You are .

Bros what are trying to say?
Re: Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo by macof(m): 8:38am On Mar 15, 2015
bigfrancis21:

You are ignorant of Igbo issues. Anambra (maybe Onitsha which I doubt), Enugu and Ebonyi states (Northern Igboland) were not under Bini kingdom. The areas under Bini Kingdom are the areas closer to Bini i.e. Ika/Agbor.

It still baffles me when you have no academic proof whatsoever to prove the origin of 'oyinbo' yet there's much evidence to prove the usage of 'oyibo' in Igboland dating back to the 18th century or more.

The man u like quoting everyday, Olaudah said,his people were subjects to the Oba of Bini
I believe u said his town is in Anambra

So u only pick what you like from his book?
How mature

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Yusuf Bayero, Dan’iya Of Kano Is Dead / Falowo Moyinoluwa Installed As A Regent In Ibulesoro Kingdom, Ondo (Pictures) / King Chukwuka Akaeze With Governor Okowa (Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.