Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,426 members, 7,819,551 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:59 PM

I'm Tired Of Law - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I'm Tired Of Law (9005 Views)

Emily Alemika: First Female Professor Of Law From Kogi State / UNICAL Suspends Dean of Faculty of Law Over Alleged Rape Of Student / Dean Faculty Of Law Unical Accused Of Raping 400l Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm Tired Of Law by safarigirl(f): 4:23pm On Mar 13, 2015
I was going to use an alternate moniker for this, but what the hell?

I'm just not happy here.

I almost feel like I'm wasting my time reading it. When I sit and listen to others talk about going to law school and practicing, I take on a 'whatever' stance. It's not my passion....funny enough I don't think my passion(s) can take me anywhere- at least not in Nigeria

I'm not passionate about law. I don't see myself in a wig and gown or a law court. Everytime I write an exam, I don't feel like I wrote enough to pass. And all I think of is serial F's or just useless grades....what's the point?

Is there really any point in studying a course you have no passion for? I know many people do it mostly because all they see is the profit in the long term, but I'm not programmed like that.

I need advice, because I'm really unhappy and I might even say depressed anytime I think of this course

*singing Tomorrow from Annie*

3 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Seun(m): 4:32pm On Mar 13, 2015
What level are you at? How many more years until you graduate? What's your academic performance so far? What led you to law initially?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by kheart(m): 4:37pm On Mar 13, 2015
Ehen ehen so seun dey comment abi no be ceo of nairaland dey up.

@safari in life u don't always get what u wanted espcially naija here. Just follow d bandwagon u ll feel great I tell u.

2 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Nastydroid(m): 4:38pm On Mar 13, 2015
start all over

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Nobody: 4:39pm On Mar 13, 2015
you see,dats y i did not read law. its just overhyped

4 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Nobody: 4:41pm On Mar 13, 2015
Babe, you are not alone. I study mass communication yet i am a deep introvert. The two do not go together. My advice, just do their rubbish and leave, then go pursue your real dream.

6 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by urchbarbie(f): 4:42pm On Mar 13, 2015
I can relate swt@. I was in dis phase arnd my 4th yr when my gp nosedived cos of one annoying lecturer coupled with d volumes of materials one has to digest, lawreports, txt, journals etc. I also considered my dreams of being a banker or some coprate badas*. I had to run cos i hated maths n picked d nxt 'sound' career. Im not one who loves to study and only did so for d purposes of exams. I scaled thru uni n found myself in lawskl lagos. Am one f d few who could scale thru considering d war it posed on us. My dear, am serving now, and i must confess dat practise is very cool. Uld feel acomplished dat u can finally get to address d court, clients, offers legal advice etc. Its fun babe. I still dont love extra studies sha, but am looking on d bright side of dis legal world. Dont give up hope, dont relent. Ask God for help. @a time in uni i almost gave up, but i met a frnd who helped me with academics. I tink u shld try it, prefereably same sex, so u dont get carried away by other 'stuffs'. Hope to see u someday @d bar dear

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Seun(m): 4:46pm On Mar 13, 2015
youngpol:
Babe, you are not alone. I study mass communication yet i am a deep introvert. The two do not go together. My advice, just do their rubbish and leave, then go pursue your real dream.
Many journalists and bloggers and social media professionals are introverts, yet the jobs they do all fall under mass communication.

9 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by safarigirl(f): 4:47pm On Mar 13, 2015
Seun:
What level are you at? How many more years until you graduate? What's your academic performance so far? What led you to law initially?
200 level. I'd say my academic performance has been okay. No carry-over and I'm one of the few on 3-points

What took me to law? It seemed like a great course....I liked Mass Comm as well, but when I told my dad, he told me that it's never good to study anything you'll need to apply for a job for....Professional courses are better- he didn't study a professional course and that decision hasn't been good to him so he didn't want any of us to face the same issues

I like the idea of law, but the things that make me happy- writing, singing, dancing, rapping...Law doesn't give room for such

9 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by safarigirl(f): 4:53pm On Mar 13, 2015
urchbarbie:
I can relate swt@. I was in dis phase arnd my 4th yr when my gp nosedived cos of one annoying lecturer coupled with d volumes of materials one has to digest, lawreports, txt, journals etc. I also considered my dreams of being a banker or some coprate badas*. I had to run cos i hated maths n picked d nxt 'sound' career. Im not one who loves to study and only did so for d purposes of exams. I scaled thru uni n found myself in lawskl lagos. Am one f d few who could scale thru considering d war it posed on us. My dear, am serving now, and i must confess dat practise is very cool. Uld feel acomplished dat u can finally get to address d court, clients, offers legal advice etc. Its fun babe. I still dont love extra studies sha, but am looking on d bright side of dis legal world. Dont give up hope, dont relent. Ask God for help. @a time in uni i almost gave up, but i met a frnd who helped me with academics. I tink u shld try it, prefereably same sex, so u dont get carried away by other 'stuffs'. Hope to see u someday @d bar dear
I don't want to practice. I'm an EXTREME introvert....I could barely address my class in secondary school. I freeze up in front of an audience and even now in school, I'm not involved in any social activity from chamber meetings to fellowships for the same reason

My dream is to write, or be an OAP or anything that doesn't involve addessing a large number of people live....I don't even like digesting all of the jargons in law texts. It's too much

2 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by urchbarbie(f): 5:08pm On Mar 13, 2015
Wow. Dis a huge one. U cant address ppl but u want to be an oap. Its basically d same tin dear. Let me tell u sometin, i could av d world record for crowd phobia. I never joined any chamber stuff in school. Even church groups self. I was an o yes member. In lawskl i dodged presntation in class like it was sometin else. I did my powerpoint presentation @d end of attachment n found it fun. Am just 4mnths @d bar and av addressed d court over a dozen times. Esp d fedderal high court. My dear. Practise is not d same as skul. Skul has plenty rigid stuffs dat ddnt go dwn well with students. When u av a case in court its just to study d file, knw d principles. If u av gud lawyrs in court dat day, they wld put u thru. When i started addressing d court, my voice wld be vibrating, but my frnds (courts clerks wld be giving me thumbs up sign) just to encourage me. Now i stll av d fear, but d shaky voice is stilling. I knw with time it wld disappear. I dont want u to regret like i almst did. Enjoy ur course of study. When ure done, nofin stops u from doing sometn else, u culd get an added certification to work else whr. Just conclude dis phase n see if u wont love it @ d end. If u wont, u can get sometin else doing.
safarigirl:
I don't want to practice. I'm an EXTREME introvert....I could barely address my class in secondary school. I freeze up in front of an audience and even now in school, I'm not involved in any social activity from chamber meetings to fellowships for the same reason

My dream is to write, or be an OAP or anything that doesn't involve addessing a large number of people live....I don't even like digesting all of the jargons in law texts. It's too much

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by wasak(m): 5:20pm On Mar 13, 2015
I'm also studying law, in final year now. the passion to study law burned out of me since my first year. But I've been able to force myself, my academic performance is above par but ppl hardly believe I don't have passion for the course.
summarily, search for something that'd make it worthwhile, u don't have to practice, u can work in government establishment or corporate practice. not every lawyer goes to court. all d best.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by safarigirl(f): 5:21pm On Mar 13, 2015
urchbarbie:
Wow. Dis a huge one. U cant address ppl but u want to be an oap. Its basically d same tin dear. Let me tell u sometin, i could av d world record for crowd phobia. I never joined any chamber stuff in school. Even church groups self. I was an o yes member. In lawskl i dodged presntation in class like it was sometin else. I did my powerpoint presentation @d end of attachment n found it fun. Am just 4mnths @d bar and av addressed d court over a dozen times. Esp d fedderal high court. My dear. Practise is not d same as skul. Skul has plenty rigid stuffs dat ddnt go dwn well with students. When u av a case in court its just to study d file, knw d principles. If u av gud lawyrs in court dat day, they wld put u thru. When i started addressing d court, my voice wld be vibrating, but my frnds (courts clerks wld be giving me thumbs up sign) just to encourage me. Now i stll av d fear, but d shaky voice is stilling. I knw with time it wld disappear. I dont want u to regret like i almst did. Enjoy ur course of study. When ure done, nofin stops u from doing sometn else, u culd get an added certification to work else whr. Just conclude dis phase n see if u wont love it @ d end. If u wont, u can get sometin else doing.
I feel like it's too earrly for the phase...200 level? I've barely started, yet I don't like it, it took you 3 years to reach this phase

With being an OAP, you deal with fewer people, not a crowd...but I originally want to be a writer, it's what I've wanted to be since I could write

2 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Bellalistic(f): 5:41pm On Mar 13, 2015
To the above commentators,good one..
BUT i basically centre on prospects,virtue,inner voice, thats who you truly are.....

FOLLOW YOUR INSTINCTS...

Read my signature for more.....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Nobody: 5:43pm On Mar 13, 2015
seriously, i wanted to study law too, but when i noticed that i was an uncontrollable sanguine, i ditched the idea,

i want to study mass comm(so help me God in my jamb)..i also noticed that i have an uncontrollable flair for interacting with people and try to get their views on stuff and life,

when i graduate, i want to work as an oap or better yet, be a v.j(like those guys on soundcity and mtv)

i wont mind being a newscaster but tjat stuff is too official and uptight to me, i dont like working in tense situations

all i need now is a person who has experience on mass comm to put me through

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Nobody: 5:44pm On Mar 13, 2015
Being a 200-level student, it may be too late for you to change your course. I believe with practice, you can overcome the phobia of public speaking.
Alternatively, with your LLb degree, you could apply for a position in a print media company. That way, you would still be doing what you love most-writing.
I'm a 1st yr law student, and I know the volume of work can be massive. During the week, I barely watch 1.5 hrs of tv.

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Vivly(f): 5:53pm On Mar 13, 2015
Oh Safari, I understand your pain. If it's possible, you could get a transcript for a change of course or force yourself to develop interest just for another 3 years.
But manage sha, because when you eventually become successful from law, you'd forget you ever hated it.

4 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by akinsadeez(m): 6:16pm On Mar 13, 2015
safarigirl:
I feel like it's too earrly for the phase...200 level? I've barely started, yet I don't like it, it took you 3 years to reach this phase

With being an OAP, you deal with fewer people, not a crowd...but I originally want to be a writer, it's what I've wanted to be since I could write

To start with, you seem to have the wrong idea that reading law is all about practicing. You can read law and be a solicitor only and not practice. There are purely commercial law firms in Nigeria making billions, (not millions) who hardly step foot in court. That does not make those working there any less lawyers. These are the firms that handle complex deals involving millions of dollars. It is not compulsory you practice if you don't have flair for it.
While I was in school and even up till now, I read law reports as if I am reading novels. I find it so intriguing to see lawyers approaching the same facts in the same case from opposite angles and the subsequent battle of intellect. I love reading supreme court cases to see how a lawyer can convince d apex court to overturn the judgment of three judges (at least) of d court of appeal. I have the flair and passion for it and it shows when I am appearing in court.

Reading law and becoming a lawyer opens up so many opportunities for you. After being called you can work in Kpmg, PWC, Delloitte, or even become an OAP and not practice but trust me wherever you are working, you will be accorded respect because you are a lawyer. I have never regretted being a lawyer and I'm sure you wont. Stick with it, evaluate yourself again after being called to d bar and then follow your heart.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Nobody: 6:32pm On Mar 13, 2015
I had this problem too...I studied Estate management...I nvr liked the course..I tried my best to love the course but I hated it more and d sch sef...my dream was to go to Nda and be a military officer...I wrote nda Exams even in sch...nw am doing my IT and guess wat I got Nda form again..

Don't ever give up on your dreams...that's were you happiness lies

Note...the admission I got was by God intervention...they called me to come and resume even after I failed the post utme...the admission officer called and said I should go and check the list that my name was on the list I was no 50...I didn't knw d man from any where even my parents too...I failed d exam because I didn't like d sch...so I just did any how..cause I didn't want to go to d sch but God arrange me back to the sch...presently doing my IT...

But I have not given up on my dream of becoming an army officer what matter the most is ur dedication...

Am sure u all have watched that india film "three idiots"...the photographer guy his dad wanted him to be an engineer but he said what moved his parents and I quote "Do you want me to do something that make cause you guys anytime I regret"...and he was in his final year true this is a movie but lessons can be learnt from it...

Pray to God ...listen to your heart

Did u get safarigirl

5 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Nutase: 7:02pm On Mar 13, 2015
no waste ya ppa money o.
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Justeenaleo(f): 7:30pm On Mar 13, 2015
My friend is complaining about the same thing, according to her she said she purges everytime she sees the materials she has to go through.
It is well

2 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Madawaki01(m): 7:35pm On Mar 13, 2015
I'm a law student too,100level,i've not even sat for any exam yet there is no passion for law again,maybe because i'm pursuing NDA admission,but i can't imagine myself studyin law for five good years..MHEN!!

2 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Pdizzle(m): 7:49pm On Mar 13, 2015
When your passion is your occupation work becomes play. Don't leave your happiness behind, the problem we have today is our parents, they all want their kids to be lawyers and doctors and its wrong. Tell your dad you want a change of course, and see how things go. I don't think it's fair to make people waste substantial part of their lives because of the pride and joy you derive as a parent. I've made up my mind to expose my unborn kids to soo much and support any interest they develop. And please get help, depression is dangerous.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Nobody: 7:51pm On Mar 13, 2015
Madawaki01:
I'm a law student too,100level,i've not even sat for any exam yet there is no passion for law again,maybe because i'm pursuing NDA admission,but i can't imagine myself studyin law for five good years..MHEN!!

Madawaki01 ur a mad fellow...u just go on awol...
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by asadike(f): 8:13pm On Mar 13, 2015
asuoka:
I had this problem too...I studied Estate management...I nvr liked the course..I tried my best to love the course but I hated it more and d sch sef...my dream was to go to Nda and be a military officer...I wrote nda Exams even in sch...nw am doing my IT and guess wat I got Nda form again..

Don't ever give up on your dreams...that's were you happiness lies

Note...the admission I got was by God intervention...they called me to come and resume even after I failed the post utme...the admission officer called and said I should go and check the list that my name was on the list I was no 50...I didn't knw d man from any where even my parents too...I failed d exam because I didn't like d sch...so I just did any how..cause I didn't want to go to d sch but God arrange me back to the sch...presently doing my IT...

But I have not given up on my dream of becoming an army officer what matter the most is ur dedication...

Am sure u all have watched that india film "three idiots"...the photographer guy his dad wanted him to be an engineer but he said what moved his parents and I quote "Do you want me to do something that make cause you guys anytime I regret"...and he was in his final year true this is a movie but lessons can be learnt from it...

Pray to God ...listen to your heart

Did u get safarigirl
I see.
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Nobody: 8:35pm On Mar 13, 2015
asadike:
I see.

True talk...I don't have problem with my GP...God blessed me with a fantastic CGPA...I am everly grateful to God for my result..
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Nobody: 9:52pm On Mar 13, 2015
Follow your passion.

One of the rules of life is,do what you love,love what you do..

Doing what you love is fun,doing what you are forced is work..work is hard.

2 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Nobody: 10:37pm On Mar 13, 2015
Yomieluv:
Follow your passion.

One of the rules of life is,do what you love,love what you do..

Doing what you love is fun,doing what you are forced is work..work is hard.

Seriously,I'm in same mess

just returned from campus,our result had just been pasted.
I'm in range of 2.2 with 3 mighty trails
I don't wanna question any lecturer sef,i'll just work on them.
Between its my 1st yr, 2nd semester and i just switched from med&surg to civ.Engr.
From your comment,sister I don't know my passion again.I'm confuse.
Its just as if I can't think like an engineer, I keep seeing things in the med & surg way.
It's same passion that made me switch but it seems my past is coming to haunt me
Oyaa time for inspiration, i need it now than ever.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by hardbody: 11:08pm On Mar 13, 2015
If you feel too strongly about this, just opt out. No one can make you love a course if you do not have an inner passion for it. I chose to study law, it was tough but i gave it my all. Today, if there is any regret i have it is the fact that my dad delayed my ambition for two years. This profession has given me money, fame, clout, class and all. I can ask for no more.

Follow your mind.

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by RoyalPriesthuud(m): 11:57pm On Mar 13, 2015
safarigirl:
200 level. I'd say my academic performance has been okay. No carry-over and I'm one of the few on 3-points

What took me to law? It seemed like a great course....I liked Mass Comm as well, but when I told my dad, he told me that it's never good to study anything you'll need to apply for a job for....Professional courses are better- he didn't study a professional course and that decision hasn't been good to him so he didn't want any of us to face the same issues

I like the idea of law, but the things that make me happy- writing, singing, dancing, rapping...Law doesn't give room for such

Parents generally(esp those who passd 2ru some sort of probs) don't want such for their kids. Dad was like tht too, bt I choosed the one I love, he didn't choose for me.

As urchbabie mentioned above, try and finish it. You may find urself loving it later. Besides the certificate you carry doesn't really matter in days we are now(Japheth Omojuwa comes to mind).

And even with wht u said u love, a tag like 'the only female MC with an LLB' aint bad u knw

2 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by prof800(m): 12:16am On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:

Is there really any point in studying a course you have no passion for? I know many people do it mostly because all they see is the profit in the long term, but I'm not programmed like that.
m
I need advice, because I'm really unhappy and I might even say depressed anytime I think of this course

*singing Tomorrow from Annie*
I say you go ahead with the course and finish it.

But ensure to always keep track with your passions along the line.

Then you'll win both ways. If you need to use your law degree you'll know by then.

Most of us just go to school to have the papers since our real passions cannot be studied within the four walls of a classroom.

This seems to be your case. So I say go ahead and have fun. Murder the course and have a swell time in school. (follow my signature) wink

I thought you were gonna be a sports journalist or blogger sha. But "writing is also good" especially if it is screenwriting wink.

prof800 wishes you luck.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NDA 70th Regular Course Admission Free Past Questions / Five Organic Functions Of Business. / List Of Sociology Textbooks Of All Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.