Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,837 members, 7,956,162 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 06:14 AM

I'm Tired Of Law - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I'm Tired Of Law (9213 Views)

Emily Alemika: First Female Professor Of Law From Kogi State / UNICAL Suspends Dean of Faculty of Law Over Alleged Rape Of Student / Dean Faculty Of Law Unical Accused Of Raping 400l Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by safarigirl(f): 5:48pm On Mar 14, 2015
Seun:

Can you rate your interest in the following types of writing jobs on a scale of 0 to 10?
1) Fiction writing (novels, shorts)
2) Song writing (music & lyrics)
3) Screen writing (movies & tv)
4) Non-fiction (biographies, textbooks, etc)
5) General freelance writing (for websites, etc)

Also, how interested are you in the following writing-related fields, on a scale of 0 to 10?
1) Editing (copywriting, managing publications, etc)
2) Public relations (for companies, politicians, etc)
3) Journalism (newspapers, tv)
1) fiction- 9
2) Song writing- 7
3) Screen writing- 5
4( non-fiction- 1
5) General freelance- 7

1) Editing- 5
2) Public relations- 7
3 Journalism- 8

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by AndreRose(f): 6:13pm On Mar 14, 2015
akinsadeez:

To start with, you seem to have the wrong idea that reading law is all about practicing. You can read law and be a solicitor only and not practice. There are purely commercial law firms in Nigeria making billions, (not millions) who hardly step foot in court. That does not make those working there any less lawyers. These are the firms that handle complex deals involving millions of dollars. It is not compulsory you practice if you don't have flair for it.
While I was in school and even up till now, I read law reports as if I am reading novels. I find it so intriguing to see lawyers approaching the same facts in the same case from opposite angles and the subsequent battle of intellect. I love reading supreme court cases to see how a lawyer can convince d apex court to overturn the judgment of three judges (at least) of d court of appeal. I have the flair and passion for it and it shows when I am appearing in court.

Reading law and becoming a lawyer opens up so many opportunities for you. After being called you can work in Kpmg, PWC, Delloitte, or even become an OAP and not practice but trust me wherever you are working, you will be accorded respect because you are a lawyer. I have never regretted being a lawyer and I'm sure you wont. Stick with it, evaluate yourself again after being called to d bar and then follow your heart.

3 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by blessedvisky(m): 6:31pm On Mar 14, 2015
Seun:
Many journalists and bloggers and social media professionals are introverts, yet the jobs they do all fall under mass communication.
talking from experience #respect

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by daveP(m): 6:36pm On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:
200 level. I'd say my academic performance has been okay. No carry-over and I'm one of the few on 3-points

What took me to law? It seemed like a great course....I liked Mass Comm as well, but when I told my dad, he told me that it's never good to study anything you'll need to apply for a job for....Professional courses are better- he didn't study a professional course and that decision hasn't been good to him so he didn't want any of us to face the same issues

I like the idea of law, but the things that make me happy- writing, singing, dancing, rapping...Law doesn't give room for such
writing! Writing!!

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by mysticgal(f): 9:22pm On Mar 14, 2015
Safarigirl,I think your hate for law is better,mine is that;it has gotten to the point where,I always go to my VC's office building, not to do anything but with the intentions of asking if they could give me my result or transcript or whatever, but I don tire.I related this to my mum for a time and she asked me why I wasted four years at home waiting to get law admission or why I am wasting her money studying law at the university. For me,I'd rather draw,or sew a cloth or talk to myself than do some boring course,where we don't get respect, or get enough dough.My dad would not even hear this,if not I am dead.
But dear,you've no choice than to finish the race and probably run a fresh race.

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Seun(m): 9:54pm On Mar 14, 2015
safarigirl:
1) fiction- 9
2) Song writing- 7
3) Screenwriting- 5
4) non-fiction- 1
5) General freelance- 7

1) Editing- 5
2) Public relations- 7
3) Journalism- 8
Making a living as a novelist, which is your strong preference, is hard. I think the only person who has achieved this in Africa is Adichie. I think it requires writing new hit novels which can be sold in Nigeria and internationally every year or so. Novels that everyone would want to read - including people who don't usually read novels. In short, it means being as good as Adichie. Can you be that good when you graduate?

Why don't you like screenwriting? In many ways it's just like writing fictional novels, except that you can't say what people are feeling or thinking, you have to show it in their actions, though funny enough novelists are encouraged to do this too. The average person spends far more time watching TV than reading novels, and buys many more DVDs, VCDs, and cinema tickets than books. As it happens, every quality movie or TV production requires writers. Even (US) reality TV shows employ writers. So screenwriting is potentially a good job. I don't know the situation in Nigeria, though. I'd like to urge anyone who knows the status of writers in Nollywood to tell us more about it.
Update: I just found this: http://thenationonlineng.net/new/i-dont-like-being-in-the-limelight-nollywood-screenwriter-peace-oni/

4 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Teespice(f): 10:24pm On Mar 14, 2015
cc cocolav.

Maybe you can chip in a word or two.

@safarigirl,

I clearly understand how you feel, but as time goes by you will get to appreciate law as a course. it is never easy considering the volume of work one has to read but trust me it will be well worth it in the end.

hope this helps.
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by CoCoLav(f): 10:48pm On Mar 14, 2015
Teespice:
cc cocolav.

Maybe you can chip in a word or two.

@safarigirl,

I clearly understand how you feel, but as time goes by you will get to appreciate law as a course. it is never easy considering the volume of work one has to read but trust me it will be well worth it in the end.

hope this helps.

Ermm...I saw this thread and I was about to advice her until I saw she was in 200L. I thought she was in 300/400L and I know that's when you suddenly get overwhelmed and fed up but 200L means she hasn't seen half of it, there's more coming.

Safarigirl I think you can transfer depending on your school. I had coursemates who transferred to other departments and its kind of easier for law students to transfer. This advice should only be taken when you are really sure you can't deal anymore otherwise continue and have law as a plan b.

I am an introvert too but I never ever thought of changing courses even though I only took law to run away from maths. Its quite interesting to me and I find it challenging. Even though I am not really outspoken and can't address crowds, once I am in the courtroom I feel at home and i feel like I was born to do this. I maintain eye contact with the judge and this is me that can't maintain eye contact with a guy outside the courtroom.

So what am I saying... evaluate your reasons, this is Nigeria...you will need to survive and be independent. Can this passion of yours sustain you in the next few years? Can you support your husband and build a young family as a rapper?(Not many men like their women going from one gig to the other, sometimes you will be out of town...who will take care of your kids?) I always believe that every woman needs a career.

Unfortunately, I am quite old school and I don't believe in advising my child to pursue a career in his hobbies (like drawing, dancing....rapping). You can draw as an aside but you must have a career to fall back on. I used to dance but then I got serious and faced the Nigerian reality. The society doesn't really support that. It can't pay my bills...maybe in more developed countries but not Nigeria.

I think you should try to finish but have law as a Plan B.

Cc Anaskie

3 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by swhiss: 12:53am On Mar 15, 2015
Wow!...thought I'm the only one in this Kind of situation.
Though mine is in a different field, I'm a 100L civil Engineering student and at the moment I've completely lost interest in the course which I initially choosed not because of passion but of me "question marking" everything and being inquisitive in a bid to quench my thirst for knowledge so I thought engineering would be great.

but as soon as I started it I feel that Civil is not really the course for me. Dunno if i shld continue with it or switch to probably another eng'g department (preferably Electrical). and I'm leaning more towards the option of changing which I don't know will be a wise choice or not. so Right now I'm cought up in a web of confusion and I also need advice...

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Jaypea98: 1:59am On Mar 15, 2015
safarigirl:
I was going to use an alternate moniker for this, but what the hell?

I'm just not happy here.

I almost feel like I'm wasting my time reading it. When I sit and listen to others talk about going to law school and practicing, I take on a 'whatever' stance. It's not my passion....funny enough I don't think my passion(s) can take me anywhere- at least not in Nigeria

I'm not passionate about law. I don't see myself in a wig and gown or a law court. Everytime I write an exam, I don't feel like I wrote enough to pass. And all I think of is serial F's or just useless grades....what's the point?

Is there really any point in studying a course you have no passion for? I know many people do it mostly because all they see is the profit in the long term, but I'm not programmed like that.

I need advice, because I'm really unhappy and I might even say depressed anytime I think of this course

*singing Tomorrow from Annie*
You can always apply for jobs in the broadcasting sector.
Sound City's Moet Abebe studied law The TVC YOUR VIEW Co presenters and NIMA and JUMOKE also studied law

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Nobody: 4:01am On Mar 15, 2015
Pls Nlers am in the same dilemma with the op, pls i need ur advice.

This is my post below:
https://www.nairaland.com/2196625/dropping-out-school-should-go
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by safarigirl(f): 8:28am On Mar 15, 2015
Seun:

Making a living as a novelist, which is your strong preference, is hard. I think the only person who has achieved this in Africa is Adichie. I think it requires writing new hit novels which can be sold in Nigeria and internationally every year or so. Novels that everyone would want to read - including people who don't usually read novels. In short, it means being as good as Adichie. Can you be that good when you graduate?

Why don't you like screenwriting? In many ways it's just like writing fictional novels, except that you can't say what people are feeling or thinking, you have to show it in their actions, though funny enough novelists are encouraged to do this too. The average person spends far more time watching TV than reading novels, and buys many more DVDs, VCDs, and cinema tickets than books. As it happens, every quality movie or TV production requires writers. Even (US) reality TV shows employ writers. So screenwriting is potentially a good job. I don't know the situation in Nigeria, though. I'd like to urge anyone who knows the status of writers in Nollywood to tell us more about it.
Update: I just found this: http://thenationonlineng.net/new/i-dont-like-being-in-the-limelight-nollywood-screenwriter-peace-oni/
I tried out screen-writing while I was in junior class. Most of the stories were brief and I wasn't feeling them.

I do imagine scenes for various stories and I could turn a novel to a play in my head.....when I have the characters in my head and act out their lines it seems more interesting, but I find the writing angle boring and bland

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by GodMode: 4:23pm On Mar 15, 2015
safarigirl:
I tried out screen-writing while I was in junior class. Most of the stories were brief and I wasn't feeling them.

I do imagine scenes for various stories and I could turn a novel to a play in my head.....when I have the characters in my head and act out their lines it seems more interesting, but I find the writing angle boring and bland

Go to hubpages.com and write.. Make sure your stories are not copied works.
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by safarigirl(f): 5:30pm On Mar 15, 2015
GodMode:

Go to hubpages.com and write.. Make sure your stories are not copied works.
why would I use copied work? :-/ that's not how I roll

And what opportunities lie there? Can I get someone to help me publish? Cuz I've posted my works on other sites and too much of that can lead to plagiarism

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by GodMode: 5:55pm On Mar 15, 2015
safarigirl:
why would I use copied work? :-/ that's not how I roll

And what opportunities lie there? Can I get someone to help me publish? Cuz I've posted my works on other sites and too much of that can lead to plagiarism

You'll have write new things.. All the info is on the website...
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Anaskie(m): 10:45pm On Mar 15, 2015
CoCoLav:

Ermm...I saw this thread and I was about to advice her until I saw she was in 200L. I thought she was in 300/400L and I know that's when you suddenly get overwhelmed and fed up but 200L means she hasn't seen half of it, there's more coming.

Safarigirl I think you can transfer depending on your school. I had coursemates who transferred to other departments and its kind of easier for law students to transfer. This advice should only be taken when you are really sure you can't deal anymore otherwise continue and have law as a plan b.

I am an introvert too but I never ever thought of changing courses even though I only took law to run away from maths. Its quite interesting to me and I find it challenging. Even though I am not really outspoken and can't address crowds, once I am in the courtroom I feel at home and i feel like I was born to do this. I maintain eye contact with the judge and this is me that can't maintain eye contact with a guy outside the courtroom.

So what am I saying... evaluate your reasons, this is Nigeria...you will need to survive and be independent. Can this passion of yours sustain you in the next few years? Can you support your husband and build a young family as a rapper?(Not many men like their women going from one gig to the other, sometimes you will be out of town...who will take care of your kids?) I always believe that every woman needs a career.

Unfortunately, I am quite old school and I don't believe in advising my child to pursue a career in his hobbies (like drawing, dancing....rapping). You can draw as an aside but you must have a career to fall back on. I used to dance but then I got serious and faced the Nigerian reality. The society doesn't really support that. It can't pay my bills...maybe in more developed countries but not Nigeria.

I think you should try to finish but have law as a Plan B.

Cc Anaskie
I think you've said it all. Lemme still chip in some few points though.

Dear Safarigirl, the legal practice is now diversified. Gone are the days when you must wear a wig and gown and argue endlessly in stuffy court rooms.

Lawyers are now needed in almost all sectors, from oil and gas, big multinationals, government parastatals and even in the entertainment industry.

You can easily fit into any of these, if litigation doesn't suit you.

I'd advice you to complete your studies. I'm sure you won't regret it.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Ebullient07: 7:59am On Mar 16, 2015
Jst lyk pple av rytly pointed out, the legal profession goes way beyond litigation. It's rili funny dat wen u mentn bin a lawyer d pictur dat flips tru pple's mind is the image of a courtroom. @ OP, as much as u sed dat u've lost interest, do bear it in mind dat law is an interestin course/profession and I was made to ndastand dat practice is really interestin. D fact dat u're n introvert does not matter cos der are veryy cool lawyers who are good at wat dey do. If only u can rekindle/re-awaken ur interest. D trut is dere is hardly a sector of d economy wher law is not relevant and dere,are even many syds to law. I'm a part four law student and I must confess, it has not bin easy but gal, I know it'll b worth it at d end. U'll do well for ursef if only u can resolve to do ur best possible. Wish u d very best. SHALOM!

2 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by ihedinobi2: 11:41am On Mar 16, 2015
Hi safarigirl.

Here's my advice. You can never run far enough or fast enough from life. To get any good thing you desire out of life you will work for it. Work is good. And you will never get away from it. You will find it in everything including the things you call your passion or your dream.

Everyone has a specific place in life, a role to play, a niche to fill. There is something in which you find yourself at home. Perhaps it is the passion you speak of or it might actually be the law profession you're studying for. Whichever it is, you will have to be ready to dig in and work at it.

As for deciding which it is, let me put it this way. Money is only as good as what good use you can put it to. Those who make it the goal will find that you can never make enough of it. And the pursuit of it makes the pursuer steadily change into a predatory, fearful and suspicious kind of person. The pursuit of a reputation is meaningless unless you put in the work of building character first. You should choose a career based on what good value you know you have within you to offer the world. And get ready to work at delivering that value.

Now, if you decide to leave Law, you should understand that you should not do it chaotically. Follow a reasoned path of departure that puts you where you'd rather be. If you decide to stay, understand that when you open your heart to something and give it a chance to impress you, it almost certainly will.

I'll say this finally about the so-called Nigerian reality everyone makes so much of: human beings built this reality, it isn't angels or aliens that will change it. And reality responds powerfully to human imagination and determination.

2 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Nobody: 5:13pm On Mar 18, 2015
urchbarbie:
Wow. Dis a huge one. U cant address ppl but u want to be an oap. Its basically d same tin dear. Let me tell u sometin, i could av d world record for crowd phobia. I never joined any chamber stuff in school. Even church groups self. I was an o yes member. In lawskl i dodged presntation in class like it was sometin else. I did my powerpoint presentation @d end of attachment n found it fun. Am just 4mnths @d bar and av addressed d court over a dozen times. Esp d fedderal high court. My dear. Practise is not d same as skul. Skul has plenty rigid stuffs dat ddnt go dwn well with students. When u av a case in court its just to study d file, knw d principles. If u av gud lawyrs in court dat day, they wld put u thru. When i started addressing d court, my voice wld be vibrating, but my frnds (courts clerks wld be giving me thumbs up sign) just to encourage me. Now i stll av d fear, but d shaky voice is stilling. I knw with time it wld disappear. I dont want u to regret like i almst did. Enjoy ur course of study. When ure done, nofin stops u from doing sometn else, u culd get an added certification to work else whr. Just conclude dis phase n see if u wont love it @ d end. If u wont, u can get sometin else doing.
I love this
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Seun(m): 5:20pm On Mar 18, 2015
@safarigirl: Perhaps you can find another course that will not waste your time like rewriting JAMB to study Mass Comm in a different university. Which courses are the closest to Mass Communication / Writing in your current university? Which university is that, by the way? Cheers.
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by urchbarbie(f): 5:22pm On Mar 18, 2015
Tnx dear.
Taylor184:
I love this
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by safarigirl(f): 11:22pm On Mar 18, 2015
Seun:
@safarigirl: Perhaps you can find another course that will not waste your time like rewriting JAMB to study Mass Comm in a different university. Which courses are the closest to Mass Communication / Writing in your current university? Which university is that, by the way? Cheers.
it's uniabuja..the only course close to Mass Comm here is either Theatre Arts or English Literature none of which is particularly appealing in this school undecided. I'll just wait and see the outcome of this semester in Law

Thanks a lot for your help smiley I appreciate it
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Fourmatic: 1:36pm On Apr 06, 2015
safarigirl:
I feel like it's too earrly for the phase...200 level? I've barely started, yet I don't like it, it took you 3 years to reach this phase

With being an OAP, you deal with fewer people, not a crowd...but I originally want to be a writer, it's what I've wanted to be since I could write
I have a similar story, wouldn't say I was forced but was convinced to apply for law in UniAbuja, but I've been hearing this rumour that the course accreditation for law has expired and that has being an impediment to about-to-graduate or graduating students, hence, the school won't offer law to its aspiring students in this admission session to study.
Please what do you know about this?
Do you know if we (law aspirants) would be offered law?

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Lero15(m): 5:23pm On Apr 06, 2015
This is the way an average Nigerian student feels, safarigirl. I'll advise you to do well in school. With good grades after your degree, you can always switch.

In a typical Nigerian school, you read almost everything... relevant and annoyingly irrelevant courses too. At the end, when u eventually practice,you will not even do up to half of all the jargons you learnt in school.

I wish you well smiley
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by storitela: 1:46pm On May 20, 2015
Seeing this reminds me of my own depressed days years back. I graduated with a law degree in 2010 and got into the law school that same year... I hated law from the time I was in 300 level but pushed on till i was called to the bar.. i practiced for just two weeks before I ran away...

Im very emotional and love people dearly and so seeing a poor wretched woman in the witness box being tackled by the opposing counsel moved me... Everyone thinks I'm crazy because I love to teach...But i didnt care..Ive taught in 3 secondary schools and they were the best periods of my life.. Relating with my kids gives me joy. I love them deeply. Now Im in lagos and cant get a job because I dont have the required teaching qualification...Ive decided to do Post graduate diploma in Education and to take a masters course therein... Everyday i wished I had changed to education, maybe by now I would have completed my masters...

You still have the time to change...but first of all sit down and discover the areas where you have passion.. ask God to direct you on the real purpose for your existence.. and then follow it... You still have 4 more yrs(law sch inclusive) ahead in ur law pursuit.. The earlier you change, the better...unless if you want to bear the boredom just for the name... cos I tell you, for those who dont have the passion for it, it can be damn depressing.

2 Likes

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by enygmababe: 9:57am On Dec 01, 2015
Hello Safarigirl,

I just stumbled on this thread and am curious. I know the semester is over. In fact, am sure the session is over now. How did you fare? Did your interest increase or decrease. Please let me know. Am curious
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by safarigirl(f): 9:17am On Dec 02, 2015
enygmababe:
Hello Safarigirl,

I just stumbled on this thread and am curious. I know the semester is over. In fact, am sure the session is over now. How did you fare? Did your interest increase or decrease. Please let me know. Am curious

it remains stagnant, I'm not any more involved in activities as I was 2 years ago and I don't think I'm doing better

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by enygmababe: 2:53pm On Dec 03, 2015
Hmmm, sad. I mailed you. At the email you referred to as Real email on your profile.
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by enygmababe: 9:27pm On Dec 13, 2015
Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Natifa(f): 11:50pm On Jun 10, 2016
Okay, am late i know. But has it occurred to you that you don't even have to obtain a certificate in writing b4 you can be a writer? You can start writimg now, or after you start working, or even when you retire! You are a made writer, no one can take that away from. And if you think about it, an LLB will be an added advantage. It will give you the exposure and experience to be a better writer. So for the mean time, just see it as your training process, a necessary means to an expected end. Then you won't hate it that much.
#bestofluckgirl!

1 Like

Re: I'm Tired Of Law by Daminovic: 11:07pm On Aug 27, 2019
safarigirl:
I was going to use an alternate moniker for this, but what the hell?

I'm just not happy here.

I almost feel like I'm wasting my time reading it. When I sit and listen to others talk about going to law school and practicing, I take on a 'whatever' stance. It's not my passion....funny enough I don't think my passion(s) can take me anywhere- at least not in Nigeria

I'm not passionate about law. I don't see myself in a wig and gown or a law court. Everytime I write an exam, I don't feel like I wrote enough to pass. And all I think of is serial F's or just useless grades....what's the point?

Is there really any point in studying a course you have no passion for? I know many people do it mostly because all they see is the profit in the long term, but I'm not programmed like that.

I need advice, because I'm really unhappy and I might even say depressed anytime I think of this course

*singing Tomorrow from Annie*
I hope you are now happily practising law for top law firm presently.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Student Loan Applications Hit 6,000 In Seven Days’, Says NELFUND / Neco Agric Science Obj & Theory / The Tribe With The Best Professors In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.