Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,807 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

Why Doesn't Warm Water Quench Thirst? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Doesn't Warm Water Quench Thirst? (1909 Views)

6 Ways Drinking Warm Water Early In The Morning Can Heal Your Body / How Warm Water Can Help Your Weight Loss / Health Benefits Of Warm Water & Lemon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Doesn't Warm Water Quench Thirst? by Chukwutobi: 6:54pm On Mar 13, 2015
It was cold at work today, I was thirsty but I don't want to take cold water so I decided to have some warm water from the dispenser. Then I remembered that warm water has never quenched mine thirst. I became inquisitive then I went to google and found this answer:

No. Cold water actually slows gastric emptying, and because the water hangs around longer, it gives your stomach time to tell your brain that you're hydrated.

I'm not fully satisfied with the answer so I'm asking if anyone could shed more lights on it.

Or is there anyone that has a different story? has warm water ever quenched your thirst?

Share your answers.
Re: Why Doesn't Warm Water Quench Thirst? by dkronicle(m): 7:05pm On Mar 13, 2015
2 reasons.
1.because u a signed it already in ur body system dat only cold water should quench d thirst.
2.because ur choice of water is available, when u look for cold water for 2days den u will know that water is water.
Re: Why Doesn't Warm Water Quench Thirst? by steams: 7:06pm On Mar 13, 2015
Warm water dose'nt quench taste because your entire body is warm and when the warm water comes in contact with your troat in its passage way. It only passes thought without any significant heat loss by the channels it comes in contact with so you don't feel the change in temperature. In the case of the cold water however it absorbs your body heat as it passes into your body via your throat, so you get the sactisfaction of heat loss as the cold water passes through. If you are a science student you should know this, its simple conduction and heat transfer principle.

2 Likes

Re: Why Doesn't Warm Water Quench Thirst? by espn(m): 7:38pm On Mar 13, 2015
steams:
Warm water dose'nt quench taste because your entire body is warm and when the warm water comes in contact with your troat in its passage way. It only passes thought without any significant heat loss by the channels it comes in contact with so you don't feel the change in temperature. In the case of the cold water however it absorbs your body heat as it passes into your body via your throat, so you get the sactisfaction of heat loss as the cold water passes through. If you are a science student you should know this, its simple conduction and heat transfer principle.
in a case have just finished playing football and in a cold period or during harsh harmatan. Are you telling me ur theory still works with dis?
Re: Why Doesn't Warm Water Quench Thirst? by steams: 8:05pm On Mar 13, 2015
espn:
in a case have just finished playing football and in a cold period or during harsh harmatan. Are you telling me ur theory still works with dis?
its not my theory, its simple science facts. When you play ball or do vigorous exercise you usually sweat, dat means your body temperature is gunning higher than usual that's why you are sweating in the first place, the same principle applies, only this time the regular water you take is not warm as the cold of the surrounding environment must have been absorbed by the water, reducing its temperature and therefore acting as a cold water would, especially since the temperature of the water would be lower than that of your body during or just after the exercise

(1) (Reply)

10 Ways On How To Stop Snoring Nauturally. / 7 Things You Should Never Eat Or Drink After 9 PM To Keep Your Heart Healthy / 5 Animals You Are Advised Not To Touch [photos]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.