Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,136 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

Help! Family Members Say Do Not Ever Call Me Again - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Help! Family Members Say Do Not Ever Call Me Again (720 Views)

Weird! Family Members Take Pictures Of Their Son Having Sex For The First Time / Shocking! Community Exhumes Corpses Of Family Members To Pay Respect (photos) / Strange! Festival Celebrated By Digging Up Dead Family Members (graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! Family Members Say Do Not Ever Call Me Again by AnEvangelist: 6:50pm On Mar 14, 2015
A friend of mine is a student abroad. He's been sending his students allowance out of pressure to his family members and Just because they asked him again to send them money from abroad and he could not they told him never to call them again. What can he do?
Re: Help! Family Members Say Do Not Ever Call Me Again by goodmorning40: 6:57pm On Mar 14, 2015
Burn the damm phone

1 Like

Re: Help! Family Members Say Do Not Ever Call Me Again by isan(m): 7:04pm On Mar 14, 2015
If ask me...nah who I go ask
Re: Help! Family Members Say Do Not Ever Call Me Again by AnEvangelist: 7:06pm On Mar 14, 2015
he does not want to live or be without a familly. It is a lonely life, especially as a single guy
Re: Help! Family Members Say Do Not Ever Call Me Again by adanduka: 7:25pm On Mar 14, 2015
He shouldn't call them. Doesn't he understand English?
He should face his life, they'll come calling later.
Re: Help! Family Members Say Do Not Ever Call Me Again by martyns303(m): 7:32pm On Mar 14, 2015
Most NLs would probably not understand the pressure on the guy.

I presume the guy is on scholarship, and he gets allowance from his sponsors. Now the money he may be getting from his sponsors will look like a lot when converted to Naira and that's where his family is getting it wrong.

For example if he his getting $500 per month that's around N100,000 with current exchange rate. And his family will be like, what is he spending N100,000 on and may require him to send a bit home to sustain a few things back home.

But what they have failed to understand is that, that $500 may not even be enough for the guy in his host country (assuming he's in the US). Buying food, and if he's like me who can't do without naija food, it's even more expensive. buying toiletries, clothes, transport, hair cut (hair cut can be very expensive).

My advice is he should explain to his family how the exchange rate works, that his allowance is not even enough to sustain him and how he has been sacrificing to send the few he has been sending.

Furthermore, he has tried at least. He shouldn't beat himself up, if he keeps sending everything, he will come back to Nigeria empty handed at the end of his studies. Then this same family will be like, he has been abroad for so so so period and he doesn't have a kobo. Job won't come in immediately, he won't be begging family for transport and little stuffs. The earlier he realizes himself, the better.

Wishing him the best in his studies.
Re: Help! Family Members Say Do Not Ever Call Me Again by Emmyk(m): 8:15pm On Mar 14, 2015
The person above me has said it all.
Re: Help! Family Members Say Do Not Ever Call Me Again by ifyalways(f): 8:39pm On Mar 14, 2015
Ignore them and face his or her studies.

Good riddance, I daresay.
Re: Help! Family Members Say Do Not Ever Call Me Again by bigtt76(f): 8:53pm On Mar 14, 2015
I assume he's sending them money from his scholarship allowance right? So he should get a job and work his ass out to send money back home! grin

AnEvangelist:
he does not want to live or be without a familly. It is a lonely life, especially as a single guy
Re: Help! Family Members Say Do Not Ever Call Me Again by ireneidiva(f): 2:54am On Mar 16, 2015
bigtt76:
I assume he's sending them money from his scholarship allowance right? So he should get a job and work his ass out to send money back home! grin

And the family in Nigeria can't work their as.s out?

(1) (Reply)

.. / #madeinnigeria @UN #motherlanguageday #yoruba #edeyoruba - Yoruba / Beautiful Photos Of Emir Of Kano's Daughter And Her Family Hits Social Media

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.