Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,273 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:14 AM

Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. - Phones (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. (48434 Views)

Tecno Y6 Gets Marshmallow 6.0.1 Update / Airtel New Android Plans / Infinix Zero 2 Lolipop 5.1 Update Is Now Available 4 Download (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by Akinlawson: 8:09pm On Mar 15, 2015
What if the genuine owner forgot his Gmail password? Gbege!!!
Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 8:22pm On Mar 15, 2015
dazekid:
Finally an android lock feature similar to the icloud lock on iPhones. Thank God Google finally woke up.
Like iCloud but can never be like iCloud.... Format an iPhone with iCloud? I dont think you wanna do that but this OS upgrade can be outsmarted...
Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by Nobody: 8:28pm On Mar 15, 2015
INDUSTRIALFAN:
Like iCloud but can never be like iCloud.... Format an iPhone with iCloud? I dont think you wanna do that but this OS upgrade can be outsmarted...

Pls expantiate why it can't be like iCloud?
Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by Nobody: 8:32pm On Mar 15, 2015
oyb:

what is rolling out right now is lollipop 5.01. it will be months before a 5.1 update rolls out. right now, world wide lollipop is less than 5%. will lenovo, xiaomi, and co roll out 5.0?

even the likes of samsung can only be counted to release updates for flagship phones. mid range and below, oyo

as for tecno, gionee and infinix . . .

It wld take months but it wld eventually be rolled out. If you follow these top oems you wld know that Sony z series would always taste next android iteration same goes with HTC ones and sammys s and note series. Secondly, the new midrange phones will be preloaded with 5.1 out of the box or will easily receive the update.

We are talking about oems u are mentioning tecno and the likes
Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by Nobody: 9:15pm On Mar 15, 2015
kestolove95:
e pain am...d truth is bitter grin
E dey pain you too truth is bitter.
Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by Emeka71(m): 9:18pm On Mar 15, 2015
ExInferis:

No they cant. Its going to work similar to the icloud activation feature on iphone.

When you buy a new phone its not activated. To activate it you need to link your google account with the device. This uses the google ID and IMEI or UDID to calculate unique token for your device only and kept securely in google servers.

Anytime the phone is wiped or you declare it stolen to google, the phone defaults to the inactivated state and requests your ID to activate. Since the secure hash or token is saved in the cloud and not ROM and is unique to every phone no amount of flashing can activate the phone.

I see.
Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by Nobody: 9:25pm On Mar 15, 2015
Maybe there would be a new invention for people to back up the contacts on their network providers servers or the cloud. So when you lose your phone and sim, all you need to do is to get a replacement sim and download your contact back from your network provider or the cloud.

Hopefully, this would paralyze phone thieves.

henribj:

beautiful
i have been looking for phone manufacturers to include this protection update on their devices for so long
this is good news
but wait o... thieves will instead of selling the phone, ask you to pay a ransom for it
aby who wan lose im contacts?
Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by kolawole6: 9:28pm On Mar 15, 2015
Igbo boys will cry oooo

1 Like

Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by henribj(m): 9:30pm On Mar 15, 2015
teeowl:
Maybe there would be a new invention for people to back up the contacts on their network providers servers or the cloud. So when you lose your phone and sim, all you need to do is to get a replacement sim and download your contact back from your network provider or the cloud.

Hopefully, this would paralyze phone thieves.

yeah that would be a good invention if network providers can come up with something like that
thieves go still dey sell market tho cos it won't affect them
it would also be best if smartphone users can purchase their smartphone from their network providers, branded phones
but it won't really be good in 9ja cos of all these networks wey dey f.up many times and it won't allow one to switch network providers if them dey f.up
Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by FOREXMARTS: 9:44pm On Mar 15, 2015
blackmiamy:
A new anti-theft feature will make stolen phones less valuable

Google’s latest update to its Android operating system makes your smartphone less desirable—to thieves, that is.

Android 5.1 was rolled out on Monday with a new anti-theft technology called Device Protection, according to Google’s Official Android Blog. The system will keep your stolen or lost phone locked until you sign in with your Google account, even if someone restores your phone to factory settings.

Device Protection will be available on smartphones shipped with Android 5.1, and also the Nexus 6 and Nexus 9.

Other features on Android 5.1 include support for multiple SIM cards and HD voice calling between compatible devices.

That's weird, this thing has been in existence since, i bought my Samsung galaxy pocket in march 2012 and it had this feature which i used immediately i bought it, I lost my phone at agip, eagle island, port Harcourt and a week later someone who tried reaching me saw me in church and said the person who picked my phone told him to tell me to come get my phone. Summary is that i got home and my phone was asking me to log in to my email then i realised the dude surrendered the phone out of frustration, when i logged in and unlocked my phone i noticed the nucca had done a factory reset, everything in my phone lost, na only the gmail part remain to unlock which proved to me that it was never his intention to return the phone.

So which one goggle dey talk now? This feature has been in existence and that has protected my Android phones all this while since i lost me phone in a cab and got it back lol.

1 Like

Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by Bawss1(m): 10:01pm On Mar 15, 2015
ollah1:

It wld take months but it wld eventually be rolled out. If you follow these top oems you wld know that Sony z series would always taste next android iteration same goes with HTC ones and sammys s and note series. Secondly, the new midrange phones will be preloaded with 5.1 out of the box or will easily receive the update.

Lol! I think he is referring to the obvious fact that a large percentage of android users in this country are from the Tecno and Infinix crowd. It's almost safe to say that those phones will get the 5.1 update after Prince William's second child is weaned off breàst milk.

2 Likes

Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by Bawss1(m): 10:13pm On Mar 15, 2015
Akinlawson:
What if the genuine owner forgot his Gmail password? Gbege!!!

There is always the Forgot Password option on Gmail. It's a standard feature everywhere.
Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by guente02(m): 11:54pm On Mar 15, 2015
maddman:

That's still futile because I'll flash another recovery from pc and viola it overwrites the old(passworded) one grin
What i mean is "passwording" the fast boot or recovery so that before you access (read or overwrite) it, you'll have to enter a password. That kain thing
Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by Nobody: 11:59pm On Mar 15, 2015
wait till it gets to Lagos, home of thieves...
Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by lovely17(m): 12:06am On Mar 16, 2015
no problem we won't steal android 5.1 noni
Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by henribj(m): 12:09am On Mar 16, 2015
there was a time someone mistakenly entered the password for my android phone multiple times and the phone locked, and asked me to input the password for the email account i registered the phone with
when i input the password of the email account on the phone it still did not accept it cos the phone data was not on and no way for it to connect to the internet to verify/accept the password
i had to contact the phone manufacturer after which they told me how to flash the phone without logging into the phone
it would be nice if this new security feature on 5.1 makes it impossible to even flash the phone via computer or any form of hardware reset unless the password associated with the phone is entered; and this option/feature should not be based on the email password because 90% of android users in 9ja data plan is most times switched off so as to conserve megabyte. cos if the 5.1 security feature is based on email password, then does whose data plans are usually switched off will encounter serious problems, if them steal ya phone na to just go buy new one, or if person mistakenly enter your phone lock password for couple of times and the phone lock, na im be say the person wey enter the phone lock pwod go gats go buy new phone for you be that o

1 Like

Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by henribj(m): 12:10am On Mar 16, 2015
lovely17:
no problem we won't steal android 5.1 noni

aby o
na im be say bois go just go back to stealing blackberry phones
Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by Nobody: 12:25am On Mar 16, 2015
henribj:
there was a time someone mistakenly entered the password for my android phone multiple times and the phone locked, and asked me to input the password for the email account i registered the phone with
when i input the password of the email account on the phone it still did not accept it cos the phone data was not on and no way for it to connect to the internet to verify/accept the password
i had to contact the phone manufacturer after which they told me how to flash the phone without logging into the phone
it would be nice if this new security feature on 5.1 makes it impossible to even flash the phone via computer or any form of hardware reset unless the password associated with the phone is entered; and this option/feature should not be based on the email password because 90% of android users in 9ja data plan is most times switched off so as to conserve megabyte. cos if the 5.1 security feature is based on email password, then does whose data plans are usually switched off will encounter serious problems, if them steal ya phone na to just go buy new one, or if person mistakenly enter your phone lock password for couple of times and the phone lock, na im be say the person wey enter the phone lock pwod go gats go buy new phone for you be that o

I think there wld be a way it wld be connected to pc. I mean the option wld be available on pc if you dont have data turned on, that approach wld make u unlock it thru that means. IMO
Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by henribj(m): 12:26am On Mar 16, 2015
ollah1:

I think there wld be a way it wld be connected to pc. I mean the option wld be available on pc if you dont have data turned on, that approach wld make u unlock it thru that means. IMO

i think so too
but really don't know for sure
Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by Nobody: 12:26am On Mar 16, 2015
Bawss1:

Lol! I think he is referring to the obvious fact that a large percentage of android users in this country are from the Tecno and Infinix crowd. It's almost safe to say that those phones will get the 5.1 update after Prince William's second child is weaned off breàst milk.

Hehe. They don't even care about Nigerians and these oems aren't among top listed android oems. Hehehe. You nailed it in your last statement
Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by BoldLeonidas: 1:10am On Mar 16, 2015
henribj:

hahahaha

A teh yu. Naija I hail o
Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by ibiso1986: 2:49am On Mar 16, 2015
shammah1:
Unfortunately, I was robbed last month. They stole my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and BlackBerry Q10. It's such a shame the rate of robbery in Lagos. The one that hurt me more was the Samsung phone. It costed me 125k to buy. I wish android can be able to track it phones whether it's been reset to factory settings (flashed) or not. cry
why didn't u download avast anti theft for android
Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by Nobody: 6:39am On Mar 16, 2015
ollah1:

i am pointing out to you that right now, only nexus android phones have 5.1, that it will take another five or six months for it to roll out to flagship phones, that it will not roll out to a significant number of phones.

simply put, i am stating that it will be at least two years before 5.1 has significant spread, so the benefits will simply not be available to a large nimber of android users.

1 Like

Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by Nobody: 7:26am On Mar 16, 2015
oyb:

i am pointing out to you that right now, only nexus android phones have 5.1, that it will take another five or six months for it to roll out to flagship phones, that it will not roll out to a significant number of phones.

simply put, i am stating that it will be at least two years before 5.1 has significant spread, so the benefits will simply not be available to a large nimber of android users.

Nope it won't. Most people are due for upgrade. Samsung produced an amazing phone which wld sell and of course the first batch wld Come with 5.01 out-of the box while subsequent batches with come with 5.1 or a latter version same goes to HTC one m9. I presume z4 and g4 would come with 5.1 out of the box.

If you are conjuring it will take two years before 5.1 sees a significant number, would Google unleash the next android version say Mango? Your analysis is flawed
Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by dazekid(m): 7:31am On Mar 16, 2015
INDUSTRIALFAN:

But that is the thing, the feature has not yet been conventionally deployed so we don't know all its ins and outs. The iCloud lock came on ios 7 and once you updated, you could not downgrade anymore, this might work the same way. I'd also like to think that the same results you get when you wipe a phone with icloud enabled is what you'd get with this.
Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by opemio247: 7:54am On Mar 16, 2015
it would surely take time before it can be available to all android users but a good upgrade
Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by Nobody: 7:57am On Mar 16, 2015
ollah1:

Nope it won't. Most people are due for upgrade. Samsung produced an amazing phone which wld sell and of course the first batch wld Come with 5.01 out-of the box while subsequent batches with come with 5.1 or a latter version same goes to HTC one m9. I presume z4 and g4 would come with 5.1 out of the box.

If you are conjuring it will take two years before 5.1 sees a significant number, would Google unleash the next android version say Mango? Your analysis is flawed

right now kitkat is less than 30% over a year later.
end of

plus, any android enthusiast knows the versions are named after sweets, not fruit

1 Like

Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by Nobody: 8:18am On Mar 16, 2015
oyb:

right now kitkat is less than 30% over a year later.
end of

plus, any android enthusiast knows the versions are named after sweets, not fruit

Do you understand what i have been typing at al? So many users are stuck with s3 and g2 and these devices never saw Kk. They are still on JB. Most of them would upgrade this year, sammy launched a very brilliant phone which is enough reason for them to upgrade and I believe LG would do the same thing. Same goes to Sony and HTC.

Am I page or brin to know the exact name of the next android version?
Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by JSmart4u(m): 8:21am On Mar 16, 2015
It couldve been better if android 5.1 added a feature which requires a password before authorizing a system reset or a custom Rom flashing at most.
Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by Bawss1(m): 9:59am On Mar 16, 2015
@ Ollah1. What makes you certain that people (in this country) who are still using the S3 and G2 will upgrade to newer models? I think that if anything we will continue to see the proliferation of brands like Infinix and Tecno and these OEMS have shown that they are not keen on rolling out the latest ROMS on their products.

Even the top android OEMS roll out updates in selected batches, there has never been a uniform adoption of the latest update across a particular brand. That there is the android fragmentation that many have complained about and its not going away soon.
Re: Smartphone Thieves Will Hate This New Android 5.1 Update. by Nobody: 10:16am On Mar 16, 2015
Bawss1:
@ Ollah1. What makes you certain that people (in this country) who are still using the S3 and G2 will upgrade to newer models? I think that if anything we will continue to see the proliferation of brands like Infinix and Tecno and these OEMS have shown that they are not keen on rolling out the latest ROMS on their products.

Even the top android OEMS roll out updates in selected batches, there has never been a uniform adoption of the latest update across a particular brand. That there is the android fragmentation that many have complained about and its not going away soon.

S3 and G2 users didn't upgrade cos they weren't freaked about the successors. S6 and S6 edge are great phones and people expect G4 to be wonderful. If they upgrade they would be on LP and last year flagships would surely taste LP hence increasing the numbers of LP phones been used.

Who cares about Infinix and Tecno? They aren't even among top Chinese brands.

Modified

How many s3 and g2 users are in Nigeria? We aren't on contract terms, some people already switched.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Airtel Unlimited Night Plan. / How To Use Whatsapp On Your X2-02 And Others / Which Mobile Network Provider Currently Offers More Data Vol At A Cheaper Price?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.