Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,099 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:50 AM

Does God Want Us To Be Rich? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does God Want Us To Be Rich? (1054 Views)

Does A Good God Want Me In A Bad Marriage? / Does God Scourge Us? 7 Reasons To Say No!! - Paul Ellis / Why Does God Sometimes Hardens People's Heart? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does God Want Us To Be Rich? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Mar 15, 2015
Scripture: “Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth.” 1 Timothy 6:6

Are some preachers right when they say God wants us to be rich? They tell us we can get anything just by praying for it. Their lavish lifestyles seem to be an example of how God wants to “bless” us. Paul wrote a letter to Timothy and gave a strong NO to this idea. Here are 4 biblical thoughts on riches:

1. Be Content With God

“Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth” (1 Timothy 6:6). This verse tells us that if we are believers in Christ and have a good relationship with God, we should be satisfied. We are already wealthy. On the other hand, when we place anything, including material things, above God, we make idols out of them. How terrible it would be if following Jesus helped us only in this life! (1 Corinthians 15:19) God may use the resources of wealthy people. But James 1:9-11 reminds us that material wealth adds nothing to our value. (Luke 12:15)

2. Eternity is What Matters

Whether we are rich or poor, none of our earthly goods will go with us to Heaven. “After all, we brought nothing with us when we came into the world, and we can’t take anything with us when we leave it” (1 Timothy 6:7). The more we understand that Heaven is our true home, the less we will care about getting more stuff, and the more we will use our possessions for God’s glory. Then, we can be like the widow in Luke 21:1-4 who gave all she had and did not worry about what she kept for herself.

3. The Basics are Enough

The Bible talks about those whose ...thinking has been confused. They have lost their understanding of the truth. They think that devotion to God is a way to get rich.” (1 Timothy 6:5) However, Jesus warns how hard it is for rich people to follow Him (Matthew 19:16-26). But poverty does not measure godliness either. A great biblical model is the Apostle Paul, who said “So if we have enough food and clothing, let us be content” (1 Timothy 6:cool. We don’t need a lot of nice clothes, or to eat at fancy restaurants every day. We just need to work hard to provide for our families, and trust the Lord to meet our needs.

4. Riches Can Ruin Us

The Apostle Paul tells us the 10th Commandment, (“you shall not covet”), was the way God showed him the sin in his heart. (Romans 7:7) When we desire riches, it may lead us to lie, cheat or, in extreme cases, steal and murder! “People who long to be rich fall into temptation and are trapped by many foolish and harmful desires that plunge them into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil . . .” (1 Timothy 6:9-10). But if we submit our lives to God and His Holy Spirit, He leads us to live in a way that helps and blesses others, and brings glory to Him.

Will you pray this week:

that God will help you use money and wealth to please Him

1 Like

Re: Does God Want Us To Be Rich? by 42n8dzydoo(m): 12:43pm On Mar 15, 2015
I smell jehova withnesses
Re: Does God Want Us To Be Rich? by 42n8dzydoo(m): 12:43pm On Mar 15, 2015
Even God is rich.

1 Like

Re: Does God Want Us To Be Rich? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Mar 15, 2015
Nah.....I'm not.!

42n8dzydoo:
I smell jehova withnesses
Re: Does God Want Us To Be Rich? by 42n8dzydoo(m): 12:58pm On Mar 15, 2015
Lizabeth25:
Nah.....I'm not.!

Okay ma'am. The write-up is good and true, but riches can't ruin everyone.

1 Like

Re: Does God Want Us To Be Rich? by Jeromejnr(m): 1:01pm On Mar 15, 2015
Yes God wants us to be rich that was why He made Abraham, Isaac and Jacob rich. An he told us in Gal 3:13 that He wants us blessed with the blessings of Abraham. And He says He wants to establish His covenant on the earth.

That was also why the scripture says Jesus was made poor so that through His poverty we would become rich.

And so that we can support His kingdom and not go on the streets and begin to beg the unbelievers. And because Jesus said He came to give us life and have it much more abundantly.

And because the writer of Psalm said "a good man leaveth an inheritance for his children's children."

God wants us wealthy but He doesn't want it to have us. He wants our hearts right. That was why scripture says "beloved I wish above all things that you prosper and be in health even as your soul prospers."

1 Like

Re: Does God Want Us To Be Rich? by An2elect2(f): 2:26pm On Mar 15, 2015
God is more concerned about what we need, not what we want.

2 Likes

Re: Does God Want Us To Be Rich? by Nobody: 4:00pm On Mar 15, 2015
Have u ever seen real wealth? Like handle it yourself n supervise. The spending? If yes, compare your attitude then to when you were still battling to meet ends meet! Or compare a relative attitude to when he had nothing!

If u say so.....buh I don't believe you.!

EOD!

42n8dzydoo:

Okay ma'am. The write-up is good and true, but riches can't ruin everyone.
Re: Does God Want Us To Be Rich? by sholay2011(m): 4:34pm On Mar 15, 2015
An2elect2:
God is more concerned about what we need, not what we want.
I love this answer.

1 Like

Re: Does God Want Us To Be Rich? by 42n8dzydoo(m): 8:36pm On Mar 15, 2015
Lizabeth25:
If u say so.....buh I don't believe you.!

EOD!

Hmmmmm
What part of the statement don't you believe? I'm an advocate of godly living but I just don't see anything bad in being rich if it's God-given. But I detest excess love of money or wealth.
Re: Does God Want Us To Be Rich? by gatiano(m): 8:57pm On Mar 15, 2015
No! GOD wants us to be wealthy and free. not free to do non-sense, that eventually destroys.

Lizabeth25:
Scripture: “Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth.” 1 Timothy 6:6

Are some preachers right when they say God wants us to be rich? They tell us we can get anything just by praying for it. Their lavish lifestyles seem to be an example of how God wants to “bless” us. Paul wrote a letter to Timothy and gave a strong NO to this idea. Here are 4 biblical thoughts on riches:

1. Be Content With God

“Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth” (1 Timothy 6:6). This verse tells us that if we are believers in Christ and have a good relationship with God, we should be satisfied. We are already wealthy. On the other hand, when we place anything, including material things, above God, we make idols out of them. How terrible it would be if following Jesus helped us only in this life! (1 Corinthians 15:19) God may use the resources of wealthy people. But James 1:9-11 reminds us that material wealth adds nothing to our value. (Luke 12:15)

2. Eternity is What Matters

Whether we are rich or poor, none of our earthly goods will go with us to Heaven. “After all, we brought nothing with us when we came into the world, and we can’t take anything with us when we leave it” (1 Timothy 6:7). The more we understand that Heaven is our true home, the less we will care about getting more stuff, and the more we will use our possessions for God’s glory. Then, we can be like the widow in Luke 21:1-4 who gave all she had and did not worry about what she kept for herself.

3. The Basics are Enough

The Bible talks about those whose ...thinking has been confused. They have lost their understanding of the truth. They think that devotion to God is a way to get rich.” (1 Timothy 6:5) However, Jesus warns how hard it is for rich people to follow Him (Matthew 19:16-26). But poverty does not measure godliness either. A great biblical model is the Apostle Paul, who said “So if we have enough food and clothing, let us be content” (1 Timothy 6:cool. We don’t need a lot of nice clothes, or to eat at fancy restaurants every day. We just need to work hard to provide for our families, and trust the Lord to meet our needs.

4. Riches Can Ruin Us

The Apostle Paul tells us the 10th Commandment, (“you shall not covet”), was the way God showed him the sin in his heart. (Romans 7:7) When we desire riches, it may lead us to lie, cheat or, in extreme cases, steal and murder! “People who long to be rich fall into temptation and are trapped by many foolish and harmful desires that plunge them into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil . . .” (1 Timothy 6:9-10). But if we submit our lives to God and His Holy Spirit, He leads us to live in a way that helps and blesses others, and brings glory to Him.

Will you pray this week:

that God will help you use money and wealth to please Him
Re: Does God Want Us To Be Rich? by Nobody: 10:33pm On Mar 15, 2015
You detest excess love for money because u don't have excess of it! But that is not the bone of contention. What d bible says is that, we should be contented of what we have!

42n8dzydoo:

Hmmmmm
What part of the statement don't you believe? I'm an advocate of godly living but I just don't see anything bad in being rich if it's God-given. But I detest excess love of money or wealth.
Re: Does God Want Us To Be Rich? by Nobody: 10:37pm On Mar 15, 2015
True godliness with contentment should be our aim in life! We shouldn't be lovers of earthly things that becomes vanity!
Re: Does God Want Us To Be Rich? by 42n8dzydoo(m): 10:43pm On Mar 15, 2015
Lizabeth25:
You detest excess love for money because u don't have excess of it! But that is not the bone of contention. What d bible says is that, we should be contented of what we have!

Hmmmmmm
I'm contented with your explanation now!

Re: Does God Want Us To Be Rich? by 42n8dzydoo(m): 10:50pm On Mar 15, 2015
Lizabeth25:
True godliness with contentment should be our aim in life! We shouldn't be lovers of earthly things that becomes vanity!
If you don't mind, I'll like to know you better.
Re: Does God Want Us To Be Rich? by hungryboy(m): 11:16pm On Mar 15, 2015
Truth is, not all of us on this earth will be rich, even if we all worship the same god or we are atheists,
we will still have the poor among us
Re: Does God Want Us To Be Rich? by gatiano(m): 11:19pm On Mar 15, 2015
We can all be wealthy. A wealthy person can never be poor, I just saw billionaire go to naught. The brazilian billionaire, most of the billionaires that were from eastern europe etc.
hungryboy:
Truth is, not all of us on this earth will be rich, even if we all worship the same god or we are atheists,
Re: Does God Want Us To Be Rich? by Nobody: 5:41am On Mar 16, 2015
No problem, whenever u are ready, we will meet up!

42n8dzydoo:

If you don't mind, I'll like to know you better.
Re: Does God Want Us To Be Rich? by Nobody: 5:45am On Mar 16, 2015
We can not all be wealthy under wise, we will have a crazy world! People shouldn't be lovers of money and forget about GOD! I don't know of your own GOD buh mine is a jealous GOD. Be contented of what you have!

EOD!

gatiano:
We can all be wealthy. A wealthy person can never be poor, I just saw billionaire go to naught. The brazilian billionaire, most of the billionaires that were from eastern europe etc.
Re: Does God Want Us To Be Rich? by Nobody: 5:46am On Mar 16, 2015
God bless you.
hungryboy:
Re: Does God Want Us To Be Rich? by emmyskies(m): 3:29pm On Mar 16, 2015
Wow!! What a post. I was expecting one of those prosperity preaching only to behold this beautiful write-up. GOD bless you Op, eternity is all that matters. Our richies are in heaven, eternal where robbers can never break in. We should strive be there, setting our eyes on eternal richies that will last forever than on earthly's that is only yet for a while -vanity upon vanity

Anyone GOD bless with wealth should be thankful and watchful and labour for Christ, taking heed to the wisdom of 'selling all we have to give to the poor'.

If only in this world we have hope, we are of all men most misreable.GOD bless you Op
Re: Does God Want Us To Be Rich? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Aug 26, 2015
Thank you.

emmyskies:
Wow!! What a post. I was expecting one of those prosperity preaching only to behold this beautiful write-up. GOD bless you Op, eternity is all that matters. Our richies are in heaven, eternal where robbers can never break in. We should strive be there, setting our eyes on eternal richies that will last forever than on earthly's that is only yet for a while -vanity upon vanity

Anyone GOD bless with wealth should be thankful and watchful and labour for Christ, taking heed to the wisdom of 'selling all we have to give to the poor'.

If only in this world we have hope, we are of all men most misreable.GOD bless you Op

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Man Of God Commands Spirit Of Snakes To Enter Congregation [shocking Photo] / Root Cause Of Islamic Terrorism. / Advice Have Been Promoted More Than My Father In Rof

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.