Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,992 members, 7,810,767 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:59 PM

Doctors Announce World's First Successful Penis Transplant - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Doctors Announce World's First Successful Penis Transplant (812 Views)

»hiv/aids Cure Released: No More Condoms! – Doctors Announce Hiv / Aids Cure / World’s First Successful Head Transplant Operation: Man’s Head Cut Off / World's First Successful PENIS Transplant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doctors Announce World's First Successful Penis Transplant by nnamdibig(m): 4:25pm On Mar 15, 2015
A South African surgical team has just announced the world’s first successful penile transplant. On December 11, 2014, a young man received a donor’s penis during a nine-hour procedure performed at Tygerberg Hospital in Cape Town. Now, three months after, the transplanted organ is fully functioning -- for sex and for urination -- though full sensation may take a bit longer. "Our goal was that he would be fully functional at two years and we are very surprised by his rapid recovery," team leader Andre van der Merwe of Stellenbosch University says in a statement.
The sexually active 21-year-old recipient will now be able to have children if he chooses to. Three years ago, he lost all but one centimeter of his penis when complications arose during a ritual circumcision -- which members of the Xhosa group often undergo. "There is a greater need in South Africa for this type of procedure than elsewhere in the world," Van der Merwe adds, "as many young men lose their joysticks every year due to complications from traditional circumcision." According to previous estimates, as many as 250 penile amputations occur across the country every year.
Researchers initially struggled to obtain a donated penis, but they finally received one after fashioning a replacement out of skin to be buried with the donor. "The family is much happier to send the body to the grave with something resembling a penis,"
Van der Merwe tells Bloomberg.
This operation was part of a pilot study to develop a penile transplant procedure that could feasibly be performed in typical South African hospital theater settings. The team used techniques developed for the first facial transplant, including microscopic surgery to connect small blood vessels and nerves. While blood vessels in the kidney can be a centimeter wide, for example, the ones they’re working with here are about 1.5 millimeters wide,
BBC reports.
"It’s a massive breakthrough," Frank Graewe of Stellenbosch University says. "We’ve proved that it can be done -- we can give someone an organ that is just as good as the one that he had." Nine more patients will be receiving penile transplants as part of this study.
This is at least the second time a surgery like this was attempted, and the first time it was successful. In 2006, a patient in China asked doctors to remove his new organ just 10 days after surgery. While the transplant was physically successful, Washington Post explains, the psychological trauma may have been too much.

www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/doctors-announce-worlds-first-successful-penis-transplant
Re: Doctors Announce World's First Successful Penis Transplant by experimentist: 4:27pm On Mar 15, 2015
Picture of the joystick or go to HELL
Re: Doctors Announce World's First Successful Penis Transplant by Tallesty1(m): 4:27pm On Mar 15, 2015
shocked
Re: Doctors Announce World's First Successful Penis Transplant by Nobody: 4:32pm On Mar 15, 2015
experimentist:
Picture of the joystick or go to HELL

Its true. I even heard of head transplant.
It worked on a rat and they say it can work on a human
Re: Doctors Announce World's First Successful Penis Transplant by experimentist: 4:34pm On Mar 15, 2015
mozzart:

grin Ok I need an extra joystick on my hip so I can be straffing 2 chicks at a time cry
Re: Doctors Announce World's First Successful Penis Transplant by Dyt(f): 4:35pm On Mar 15, 2015
mozzart:

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Doctors Announce World's First Successful Penis Transplant by Nobody: 4:37pm On Mar 15, 2015
Dyt:

cheesy cheesy cheesy

Are you amazedcheesy
Its true. These Caucasians are crazy
Re: Doctors Announce World's First Successful Penis Transplant by Nobody: 4:37pm On Mar 15, 2015
experimentist:
grin Ok I need an extra joystick on my hip so I can be straffing 2 chicks at a time cry

You no well cheesy

It doesn't work that way undecided
Re: Doctors Announce World's First Successful Penis Transplant by Dyt(f): 4:47pm On Mar 15, 2015
mozzart:

Are you amazedcheesy
Its true. These Caucasians are crazy

I need to see how a rats peeepee looks
Re: Doctors Announce World's First Successful Penis Transplant by Nobody: 4:55pm On Mar 15, 2015
Dyt:

I need to see how a rats peeepee looks
Catch one and check gringrin
Re: Doctors Announce World's First Successful Penis Transplant by experimentist: 5:06pm On Mar 15, 2015
mozzart:

You no well cheesy

It doesn't work that way undecided
E for make sense o..
Re: Doctors Announce World's First Successful Penis Transplant by Dyt(f): 5:08pm On Mar 15, 2015
mozzart:

Catch one and check gringrin

grin grin cheesy

(1) (Reply)

4 Blood Types, 4 Diets. Eat Right For Ur Type / Toilet Roll Or Water Which Is Better For Cleaning After Defeacation / Crisis Looms Over Plans To Sell LUTH, UCH, ABUTH, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.