Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,086 members, 7,814,772 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:28 PM

Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage (1783 Views)

Queen Elizabeth Rules Out Gay Marriage In UK: “marriage Is For Man And Woman” / Gay Marriage Coming To Africa? / Lesbians And Gay Marriage Right In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by fantacie(f): 12:31pm On Jan 16, 2009
House of Representatives yesterday unanimously voted for outright ban of same sex marriage anywhere in the country, as the Bill “for an Act to prohibit marriage between persons of same gender, solemnisation of same and other matters related therewith” scaled through without any opposition.Sponsored by Hon. Mayor Eze, deputy chairman, House Committee on Steel, all the lawmakers who spoke in favour of the Bill demanded for an outright ban on such acts.Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, chairman, House Committee on Diaspora, Hon. Igo Aguma, chairman, House Committee on Gas Resources, Hon. Aminu Shehu Shagari, chairman, House Committee on Steel, Hon, Chinyere Igwe, deputy chairman, House Committee on Human Rights and Tahir Monguno, all condemned such marriage, saying that it was immoral, against African tradition and God designs for human being.Hon. Tahir, for instance, noted that the act depicts moral decadence in any given society and a digress from God’s purpose of creating marriage institution, stressing that such act as stated in both Islam and Christian religions remain ungodly act.For Hon. Igo Aguma, he argued that “it is against my faith to have same sex marriage. It is against our penal code to even engage in activities that are as quarrelsome as this between man and man, as well as women and women.“It is time for us at this point in time to think back and look at the scourge of HIV/AIDS. The greatest means of transmitting this disease is through the act of ‘sodomy’. Young children are already victims of been lured into this cruel and unimaginable act. It is an act of perversion.”Also speaking in favour of the Bill, Hon. Dabiri-Erewa noted that the Bill was extensively considered at public hearing before the expiration of the last administration.She added that a public hearing had been organized to collate peoples’ views and opinion, adding that it was a general view that “the act should not be encouraged in Nigeria,” while calling for the reports of the public hearing to be a guide in the final decision of the House.Speaker Oladimeji Bankole put the Bill to vote to be read for the second reading, it was carried and the Bill was referred to the Joint Committee on Human Rights, Justice and Women Affairs.

The early the better
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by Sapphic: 12:31am On Jan 17, 2009
It was inevitable that the Bill would go through. In a backward hypocritical country like Nigeria, what else was to be expected? I am sure there were a few people who practice same sex in the House of Rep there too (deep, deep in the closet).
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by C2H5OH(f): 12:38am On Jan 17, 2009
Those two mutually exclusive words do not belong in the same sentence.

Glad that these people have finally done something laudable by taking action against this irregularity before it becomes a pandemic like the one we see here in the states.
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by arramyjay: 1:33am On Jan 17, 2009
Gosh,how does this affect their economy,there are better things to do.
And i think it is a horrible thing to do,if two men or two woman want to be bond 2gether,i think they shud be allowed.

1 Like

Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by C2H5OH(f): 1:55am On Jan 17, 2009
Please don't start forcing that your extremely liberal propaganda our way. You are barking down the wrong tree. Even Sapphic agrees wink
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by Sapphic: 1:57am On Jan 17, 2009
arramyjay:

Gosh,how does this affect their economy,there are better things to do.
And i think it is a horrible thing to do,if two men or two woman want to be bond 2gether,i think they shud be allowed.

Not only are there better things to do, there are more pressing things that require attention. Paedophilia, incest, corruption, education, mortality rates, health care, welfare, social security, housing, security, inequality, modern day slavery, oppression, violence, religious and tribal intolerance, poverty, prostitution, child labour and rights, filth, breakdown of law and order. . . the list is almost endless, yet it is the one that people conduct in the privacy of their homes that seems to be a hot potato with them.

C2H5OH:

Glad that these people have finally done something laudable by taking action against this irregularity before it becomes a pandemic like the one we see here in the states.

You do know that it is not by force to stay in America. If the situation bothers you so bad, you can always make it back to your perfect country where the situation and conditions of living is perfect.
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by Nobody: 1:57am On Jan 17, 2009
As much as I love this, I think it's not fair. It's infringing gay people's right. Do they also not have a right?
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by Sapphic: 1:59am On Jan 17, 2009
C2H5OH:

Please don't start forcing that your extremely liberal propaganda our way. You are barking down the wrong tree. Even Sapphic agrees wink

Agrees ko, agrees ni. Look if they had said no public display of affection by gay folk, I would even understand. This one is using sledgehammer to kill mosquito.
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by C2H5OH(f): 2:06am On Jan 17, 2009
What the hell is this one talking about? What special rights do homos have in that country
Sapphic:

You do know that it is not by force to stay in America. If the situation bothers you so bad, you can always make it back to your perfect country where the situation and conditions of living is perfect.

Why would I do that? Gay marriage is illegal where I'm from and where I am at.

Sapphic:

Agrees ko, agrees ni. Look if they had said no public display of affection by gay folk, I would even understand. This one is using sledgehammer to kill mosquito.
Look, you don know that it is not by force to stay in Nigeria.  If the situation bothers you so bad, you can always sit back in your perfect abode overseas where the situation is perfect.

tongue cheeky
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by Nobody: 2:17am On Jan 17, 2009
C2H5OH:

What the hell is this one talking about? What special rights do homos have in that country
Hell, what right does anyone have in that country sef?
Homos are also people, do they also not have a right to be happy? undecided
If marrying same sex as themselves will make them happy, why shouldn't they?

If religion is the cause of the vote, then that country is really hypocritical.
A country where it's leaders go to church/ mosque to pray, yet steal from it's citizen's purse.
A country where the pastors steals and lie.

If they indeed want to be religious, then I think they should start burning down every babalawo shrine from every village.

My point is, as a citizen of Nigeria, every person is entitled to certain rights, so why can't gay people marry each other and be happy?
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by Sapphic: 2:18am On Jan 17, 2009
I was not referring to marriages perse, you talked about homosexuality becoming "pandemic" like it is in the US. And I meant if you did not like that, you could pack your bags back home.

What do u mean it is not by force to stay in Nigeria? How are you sure I am a citizen of any other country? Many people would LOVE to leave that bleeped up, God forsaken country (The last time I checked, visa applications to the UK and US had not diminished o).
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by C2H5OH(f): 2:27am On Jan 17, 2009
Oh I didn't think you were making reference to the "pandemic", but why go back? so you can call "us" bigots?

Don't be so disrespectful to the motherland. America did not go "green" overnight. The people leaving are not basing their decisions solely on the idea that they will attain "freedom to be gay".
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by C2H5OH(f): 2:29am On Jan 17, 2009
HeatFusion:

Hell, what right does anyone have in that country sef?
Homos are also people, do they also not have a right to be happy? undecided
If marrying same sex as themselves will make them happy, why shouldn't they?

If religion is the cause of the vote, then that country is really hypocritical.
A country where it's leaders go to church/ mosque to pray, yet steal from it's citizen's purse.
A country where the pastors steals and lie.

If they indeed want to be religious, then I think they should start burning down every babalawo shrine from every village.

My point is, as a citizen of Nigeria, every person is entitled to certain rights, so why can't gay people marry each other and be happy?

What the cockfuck? I see you have been brainwashed by white media.
They can't do it because it is unlawful. Simple as that, okay?

i guess common sense is not so common anymore.
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by Nobody: 2:32am On Jan 17, 2009
C2H5OH:

What the cockfuck? I see you have been brainwashed by white media.
They can't do it because it is unlawful. Simple as that, okay?

i guess common sense is not so common anymore.
Stop bleeping cursing.

I'm against gayism, you should know that.
But each person has an unwritten right, and I believe thaty should be allowed to take advantage of that right.

You're right, it's not so common, no trace of it from you.
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by C2H5OH(f): 2:37am On Jan 17, 2009
HeatFusion:

Stop bleeping cursing.

I'm against gayism, you should know that.
But each person has an unwritten right, and I believe thaty should be allowed to take advantage of that right.

You're right, it's not so common, no trace of it from you.
Like i give a shit.
Continue your poppycock. I wasn't expecting anything less from you.
The white man's way is the right way.
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by Nobody: 2:40am On Jan 17, 2009
C2H5OH:

Like i give a shit.
~roll eyes~

calm down
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by Sapphic: 2:41am On Jan 17, 2009
C2H5OH:

Oh I didn't think you were making reference to the "pandemic", but why go back? so you can call "us" bigots?

Don't be so disrespectful to the motherland. America did not go "green" overnight. The people leaving are not basing their decisions solely on the idea that they will attain "freedom to be gay".

I am not being in the least disrespectful. I am just saying it as it is. Don't be ridiculous by saying people are not leaving just to attain gay freedom. Of course not. They are leaving because Nigeria is generally bleeped UP. You don't see mass exodus from Saudi Arabia like you see in Nigeria (it is illegal to be gay there too). There are so few things that Nigeria has going for it (what ever these things are could be written on the back of a postage stamp, and there would dtill be enough space for a nursery rhyme).
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by Sapphic: 2:44am On Jan 17, 2009
C2H5OH:

Like i give a shit.

Ol' boy, coolu, coolu, coolu temper. Coolu temper. . . LOL tongue
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by C2H5OH(f): 2:46am On Jan 17, 2009
I don't think I can agree with you that Nigeria is bleeped up okay, maybe it is.  I just think we have criminals posing as leaders, mismanaging the country's resources causing the economy to cave.  We can continue pointing fingers and spewing vitriol about the current conditions of living, but until "you people" learn to "man up" it will not change.
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by C2H5OH(f): 2:49am On Jan 17, 2009
Sapphic:

Don't mind her. She keeps complaining that it's freezing, knowing fully well that she is residing in an historically cold region.
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by Sapphic: 2:54am On Jan 17, 2009
C2H5OH:

I don't think I can agree with you that Nigeria is bleeped up okay, maybe it is. I just think we have criminals posing as leaders, mismanaging the country's resources causing the economy to cave. We can continue pointing fingers and spewing vitriol about the current conditions of living, but until "you people" learn to "man up" it will not change.

What do u mean "you people"? Abi you no be one of us again? shocked
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by DaPhoenix(f): 2:59am On Jan 17, 2009
Hurray. . . I guess. Would they now work on more important things like electricity, water, jobs and roads?
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by Nobody: 2:59am On Jan 17, 2009
C2H5OH:

Don't mind her. She keeps complaining that it's freezing, knowing fully well that she is residing in an historically cold region.
rolling my eyez angry angry

Sapphic:

As you've heard from him, he's historically rude.
abeg, tell him to cool down
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by Sapphic: 3:00am On Jan 17, 2009
DaPhoenix:

Hurray. . . I guess. Would they now work on more important things like electricity, water, jobs and roads?

Maybe in your children's generation (and that is if you are lucky).
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by C2H5OH(f): 3:02am On Jan 17, 2009
We don't undermine the importance of marriage to our societal stability.  Rather not have a situation where we turn into a nation of Baby Mamas/Daddys.
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by Sapphic: 3:07am On Jan 17, 2009
C2H5OH:

We don't undermine the importance of marriage to our societal stability. Rather not have a situation where we turn into a nation of Baby Mamas/Daddys.

It is already turing to that. And that has nothing to do with homosexuality.
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by DaPhoenix(f): 3:10am On Jan 17, 2009
Sapphic:

Maybe in your children's generation (and that is if you are lucky).

Sis, it's stupid. I'm pretty sure all the gay people in Nigeria are closeted and they have no intention of marrying because of their family, religion and blah blah blah. So why bother with that which is so unimportant? I swear sometimes I think our leaders need to publicly horse whipped for their stupidity. Watch out, as soon as the US and Europe legalize gay marriages, they, like people without brains (wait they are) will follow suit.
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by C2H5OH(f): 3:12am On Jan 17, 2009
Sapphic:

It is already turing to that. And that has nothing to do with homosexuality.
If you feel that way.  Although, addressing another serious issue that might make it falter even more shouldn't be considered "less important"
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by C2H5OH(f): 3:13am On Jan 17, 2009
Pretty sure doesn't quite cut it grin
That's what we all thought about the gays here too. All they wanted was their gayness, now they want marriage.
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by Sapphic: 3:14am On Jan 17, 2009
It is legal in the Uk and I believe some other European countries. The thing that PAINS me is that PAEDOPHILIA is so friggin rampant. A situation that that NEEDS URGENT legislation. grown men up to 50 or 60 raping children and even babies with often no consequence whatsover.
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by Treetop20(m): 3:15am On Jan 17, 2009
legalizing gay marriage in Nigeria?
that will be the day
Re: Reps Vote Against Gay Marriage by DaPhoenix(f): 3:18am On Jan 17, 2009
C2H5OH:

Pretty sure doesn't quite cut it  grin
That's what we all thought about the gays here too.  All they wanted was their gayness, now they want marriage.

How you been successfully point out a Nigerian as gay?

Sapphic:

It is legal in the Uk and I believe some other European countries. The thing that PAINS me is that PAEDOPHILIA is so friggin rampant. A situation that that NEEDS URGENT legislation. grown men up to 50 or 60 raping children and even babies with often no consequence whatsover.

Sis those men cannot be blamed. They are only curing themselves from HIV and AIDS. Gosh, how retarded!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Edo Belongs To Ijaws, Binis Are Strangers From Egypt And Yorubaland– IPDI / Gender Fluidity, Queerness, And Homosexuality In The Precolonial African Context / I ThinK His Mum Is A Witch!!! If Not, Then Why Is She Doing These...........

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.