Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,858 members, 7,817,541 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:00 PM

Little Known Car Fuel Wasters And Fuel Saving Tips - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Little Known Car Fuel Wasters And Fuel Saving Tips (23578 Views)

Changing Oil Filter And Fuel Filter At Same Time / Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car / 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Little Known Car Fuel Wasters And Fuel Saving Tips by sevo(m): 5:05pm On Mar 17, 2015
Beta post.nice write up bro.it came in timely because am abt to travel and I was worried that my v6 406 go finish me b4 I reach.
Re: Little Known Car Fuel Wasters And Fuel Saving Tips by Bants(m): 5:14pm On Mar 17, 2015
sevo:
Beta post.nice write up bro.it came in timely because am abt to travel and I was worried that my v6 406 go finish me b4 I reach.

Mad 406 na V6 i think say na V2 or Vboot
Re: Little Known Car Fuel Wasters And Fuel Saving Tips by tomzman: 5:17pm On Mar 17, 2015
Nice tips
Re: Little Known Car Fuel Wasters And Fuel Saving Tips by sevo(m): 5:41pm On Mar 17, 2015
I no get ur jerk but yes na v6 I get and d tin dey drink ma fuel like madt

Mad 406 na V6 i think say na V2 or Vboot [/quote]
Re: Little Known Car Fuel Wasters And Fuel Saving Tips by eluquenson(m): 6:24pm On Mar 17, 2015
Unusual sound underneath your vehicle (silencer leakage) also add to the wastage of fuel.

2 Likes

Re: Little Known Car Fuel Wasters And Fuel Saving Tips by femi4: 6:29pm On Mar 17, 2015
pekeyim:
Nice one OP.

Especially when drivers are doing 120 km/h on Benin Ore road but they'll leave their windows down/ open to save fuel even when they have AC in their vehicle.

@OP I disagree with number 4. For an automatic car you can just switch to Neutral while in traffic, Because starting and stopping your car continuously take a considerable amount of fuel.

Like you trying to move smth that's @ rest, you'll need considerable amount of power.

But Of course if you are stuck in that type of traffic that doesn't move for 5 minutes, then number 4 is valid.

Thank me later.

The drag force is negligible when compare to extra load on the engine by putting on the AC

1 Like

Re: Little Known Car Fuel Wasters And Fuel Saving Tips by Novaworld(m): 6:40pm On Mar 17, 2015
No fuel saving idea is complete without the truth abt the use of Xtreme Fuel Treatment. It also improves the Engine performance.
Re: Little Known Car Fuel Wasters And Fuel Saving Tips by pekeyim: 6:46pm On Mar 17, 2015
femi4:
The drag force is negligible when compare to extra load on the engine by putting on the AC
When driving @ 120km/h? Really?

imagine what happens to your earlobe @ that speed or if you stick your hand out.

Please do some more research, there is little or no extra load @ that speed on the engine to drive the compressor but @ about 60km/h or below

1 Like

Re: Little Known Car Fuel Wasters And Fuel Saving Tips by Nobody: 7:06pm On Mar 17, 2015
Nice one @OP

Type of car also matters.

When making a choice on what type of Car to buy, one has to consider the use to which the car will be put, and the state of Nigerian roads.

Personally, I don't see any reason why I should go for a V-6 engine vehicle, when a V-4 is cheaper and more fuel efficient.
Nigerian roads wouldn't allow you utilise the additional power and speed provided by the V6 car anyway.
Re: Little Known Car Fuel Wasters And Fuel Saving Tips by Terenceike(m): 7:14pm On Mar 17, 2015
pekeyim:
Nice one OP.

Especially when drivers are doing 120 km/h on Benin Ore road but they'll leave their windows down/ open to save fuel even when they have AC in their vehicle.

@OP I disagree with number 4. For an automatic car you can just switch to Neutral while in traffic, Because starting and stopping your car continuously take a considerable amount of fuel.

Like you trying to move smth that's @ rest, you'll need considerable amount of power.

But Of course if you are stuck in that type of traffic that doesn't move for 5 minutes, then number 4 is valid.

Thank me later.

Putting it on neutral isn't really advisable when you're in traffic. Might roll and hit another vehicle if you're on a sloppy spot
Re: Little Known Car Fuel Wasters And Fuel Saving Tips by komek(m): 7:17pm On Mar 17, 2015
shegsrules:
Fuel economy is something people look out for when they want to buy cars because it is such a very important factor.

This might be difficult when buying used card because, even the even the most fuel efficient car may have has several faults and gone through a lot that it starts to consume fuel excessively. In this post, we will share with you those factors that contribute to fuel wastage in cars and tips that you use to save fuel.

Common Ways to Waste Fuel In Cars (With Saving Tips)

The following are the common ways fuel is been wasted in vehicles that many people don’t even know about. They can easily be solved with the usual car maintenance. Unfortunately, many of us don’t take our cars for checks and regular maintenance (except the usual engine servicing).

Let me start first of all by telling you to be watchful of the filling station where you buy fuel. I don’t want to start mentioning names now but fuel quantity and quality of some filling stations are very poor in this country. Fuel of N6,000 will fill my tank at some stations but will be far from the full tank mark when I buy in other filling stations.

Also, fuel from different sources tend to burn out at considerably different rates. I have noticed it when I my route was just the same over a period of one year.

1. Low or Under-inflated tyres & Bad Wheel Alignment:

This may appear unlikely to many but the truth of the matter is that under-inflate tyres and incorrect wheel alignment can increase rolling resistance of tyres. This condition can cost you a mile or two per gallon on a car that normally delivers 20 miles per gallon of fuel.

Gauge your tyres often and inflate them if need be. Bad wheel alignment should be fixed as soon as possible. These factors not only affect fuel consumption but also safety and tyre life. In countries like Nigeria where people buy used tyres, it is good to check factors such as the tyre ratings and year of manufacture. You can check the meaning of all the numbers on car tyres here.

2. Keeping Your Air Filter Clean

When air filter is full of dirt and dusts, it gets clogged. This chokes off air and creates a condition that is called a  “rich” mixture – too much gas being burned for the amount of air, which both wastes gas and causes the engine to lose power.

Experts have shown that replacing a clogged air filter can improve gas mileage by as much as 10 percent. This is not small at all.

3. Check And Replace Spark Plugs

You need to check your spark plugs regularly and replace them if they are dirty. Depending on your type of car, you can have spark plugs ranging from four to eight. Sparking of plugs result in a lot of heat, electrical and chemical erosion. A dirty spark plug causes misfiring and that wastes fuel.

4. Fix your own driving habits too

Yes, you too can contribute a lot to fuel wastage. Idling gives you 0 miles per gallon, please avoid it. Turn your engine off if you are going to be stopped in traffic for 15 seconds or longer. If you park your car waiting for someone, turn off the engine. I have seen people leave the engine on while waiting for people, you can save fuel by turning it off.

5. Don’t carry Stuffs About

You should avoid carrying unnecessary items in the booth of your car, especially if they are heavy. If you are not a delivery guy, why waste fuel carrying loads. I have a friend that is  guilty of this. He’d get 25 to life if this was a crime. Do you know that an extra 45kg in the trunk reduces a typical car’s fuel economy by 1-2 percent.

6. Car Maintenance As It Affects Fuel Economy

Regularly changing your motor oil can also help save your fuel. Dirty oil can reduce fuel economy up to 1.6km per 3.79Liters!

Take your vehicle for regular schedules brake inspections and maintenance as dragging brakes can waste car fuel.

These tips will help you save considerable fuel if you follow them and adjust your driving habits too.

Cited from: http://www.infogoons.com/2015/01/little-known-car-fuel-wasters-and-fuel-saving-tips/

I guess u can use this same principle for generators too? Cos my gen dey consume fuel these days.

No mind me, this article is helpful.

1 Like

Re: Little Known Car Fuel Wasters And Fuel Saving Tips by nkemdi89(f): 7:19pm On Mar 17, 2015
Thanks, wasted 3hrs in traffic along orlu road last two weeks, my engine and ac was on through out probably next time I will off my engine .
Re: Little Known Car Fuel Wasters And Fuel Saving Tips by pekeyim: 7:45pm On Mar 17, 2015
Terenceike:

Putting it on neutral isn't really advisable when you're in traffic. Might roll and hit another vehicle if you're on a sloppy spot

Well sorry I'll need to edit that.

*warning! Don't try it when the road is sloppy or when immediately you take your foot off the brake, the car starts rolling thanks.
Re: Little Known Car Fuel Wasters And Fuel Saving Tips by Vince77(m): 8:48pm On Mar 17, 2015
Lasveg:
warming of cars wastes fuel too, nd its unnecessary...
it is necessary
Re: Little Known Car Fuel Wasters And Fuel Saving Tips by Nobody: 11:14pm On Mar 17, 2015
winding the Windows down while on speed burns fuel faster due to 'drag -force '

leaving your gear on a drive mode instead of neutral while in a traffic burns fuel faster too. the car tries to accelerate, but your feet on the brake halts it.
Re: Little Known Car Fuel Wasters And Fuel Saving Tips by Abelpeters: 7:48am On Mar 18, 2015
for me, maintenance and regular check up is very neccesary, and of course the product of car to aquired in the first place. But to switch off engine every 5secs while on traffic jam maybe is talaka level and is awkward.
Re: Little Known Car Fuel Wasters And Fuel Saving Tips by ireneony(f): 4:31pm On Mar 18, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
I love car talk. embarassed
If say we bin get money, I would have gone to Russia to study "Automobile Engineering" grin cry
why did you remove your bum short pix, to think you are married woman who parade her skin all over nairalandgrin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Uganda Manufactures First Solar-powered Bus In Africa / "Why Manual Cars Are Better Than Automatic Cars" / How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.