Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,063 members, 7,825,368 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 12:39 PM

Why Is A Burial Ground Always Six Feet? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Is A Burial Ground Always Six Feet? (1181 Views)

Burial Photos Of 6 ERCC Mothers Who Died In Accident On Kajuru Junction In Kebbi / Man Spotted Lying On The Ground In Victoria-Island Lagos (Photos) / Strange Objects Found In Goat Slaughtered For Burial In Ekiti (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is A Burial Ground Always Six Feet? by Mykel4God(m): 5:34pm On Mar 18, 2015
I always wonder why a burial ground is always six feet,what if the tallest man on earth died,will he also be buried using six feet?
Re: Why Is A Burial Ground Always Six Feet? by kestolove95(m): 5:37pm On Mar 18, 2015
Gbosa!!! 6ix feet down aree gone.
Re: Why Is A Burial Ground Always Six Feet? by kestolove95(m): 5:37pm On Mar 18, 2015
Gbosa!!! 6ix feet down are gone.
Re: Why Is A Burial Ground Always Six Feet? by Nostradamus: 5:41pm On Mar 18, 2015
(singing d'banj's 'Bleep you up' )me i no know.
Re: Why Is A Burial Ground Always Six Feet? by morethanadoll(f): 5:52pm On Mar 18, 2015
It all begin as a tradition during the Black Plague in England. The bodies of the deceased were buried six feet under so that there would be no way possible of the disease spreading. Also, it was an ideal depth, since soil erosion occurs and people were only buried in wooden boxes. When the soil erodes, the wooden boxes that the dead was placed in would have rotten and having the bodies that far under would decrease the chance of the bones later rising back up to top and exposing healthy people to toxins from the decomposition.

You're welcome. wink
Re: Why Is A Burial Ground Always Six Feet? by phlio(m): 6:01pm On Mar 18, 2015
morethanadoll:
It all begin as a tradition during the Black Plague in England. The bodies of the deceased were buried six feet under so that there would be no way possible of the disease spreading. Also, it was an ideal depth, since soil erosion occurs and people were only buried in wooden boxes. When the soil erodes, the wooden boxes that the dead was placed in would have rotten and having the bodies that far under would decrease the chance of the bones later rising back up to top and exposing healthy people to toxins from the decomposition.

You're welcome. wink
you are brilliant..... I like you
Re: Why Is A Burial Ground Always Six Feet? by morethanadoll(f): 6:05pm On Mar 18, 2015
phlio:
you are brilliant..... I like you

Thanks, but brilliant? Nah. It is only some middle school history knowledge and my love for history in general. #geek
Re: Why Is A Burial Ground Always Six Feet? by phlio(m): 6:08pm On Mar 18, 2015
morethanadoll:

Thanks, but brilliant? Nah. It is only some middle school history knowledge and my love for history in general. #geek
you are brilliant.. well I love history epe the medieval period stone age and history of west Africa .....I don't mind the history of Uganda.... tell me ur speciality
Re: Why Is A Burial Ground Always Six Feet? by morethanadoll(f): 6:13pm On Mar 18, 2015
phlio:
you are brilliant.. well I love history epe the medieval period stone age and history of west Africa .....I don't mind the history of Uganda.... tell me ur speciality

To be specific, Tudor dynasty, Queen Elizabeth's and Queen Mary's reign, Victorian era
Re: Why Is A Burial Ground Always Six Feet? by phlio(m): 6:17pm On Mar 18, 2015
morethanadoll:

To be specific, Tudor dynasty, Queen Elizabeth's and Queen Mary's reign, Victorian era
hmmmm I see so? what abt d aspect of literature.... are u into literature
Re: Why Is A Burial Ground Always Six Feet? by morethanadoll(f): 6:19pm On Mar 18, 2015
phlio:
hmmmm I see so? what abt d aspect of literature.... are u into literature

Yes. Shakespeare.
Re: Why Is A Burial Ground Always Six Feet? by phlio(m): 6:22pm On Mar 18, 2015
morethanadoll:

Yes. Shakespeare.
copy cat....I love Shakespeare ESP measure for measure and Hamlet,
A Midsummer Night's Dream,
Macbeth,
in Africa setting I love wole soyinka and jp Clark
Re: Why Is A Burial Ground Always Six Feet? by morethanadoll(f): 6:25pm On Mar 18, 2015
phlio:
copy cat....I love Shakespeare ESP measure for measure and Hamlet,
A Midsummer Night's Dream,
Macbeth,
in Africa setting I love wole soyinka and jp Clark

I will copy all day in the name of good literature! lol Romeo and Juliet, of course, The Tempest, and King Lear, and The Sonnets are my other favorites.
Re: Why Is A Burial Ground Always Six Feet? by phlio(m): 6:28pm On Mar 18, 2015
morethanadoll:

I will copy all day in the name of good literature! lol Romeo and Juliet, of course, The Tempest, and King Lear, and The Sonnets are my other favorites.
king Lear....I love Cordelia and glochester in that play...then u must also be involved in stage plays ..
Re: Why Is A Burial Ground Always Six Feet? by morethanadoll(f): 6:30pm On Mar 18, 2015
phlio:
king Lear....I love Cordelia and glochester in that play...then u must also be involved in stage plays ..
I'm too shy for the stage. I took a literature class in college that was all about Shakespeare and his literature.
Re: Why Is A Burial Ground Always Six Feet? by phlio(m): 6:32pm On Mar 18, 2015
morethanadoll:

I'm too shy for the stage. I took a literature class in college that was all about Shakespeare and his literature.
I have this feeling u will be good for stage plays epe with a good director and script..... just that u r yet to discover that aspect
Re: Why Is A Burial Ground Always Six Feet? by morethanadoll(f): 6:35pm On Mar 18, 2015
phlio:
I have this feeling u will be good for stage plays epe with a good director and script..... just that u r yet to discover that aspect
I'll stick to reading it. haha
Re: Why Is A Burial Ground Always Six Feet? by phlio(m): 6:38pm On Mar 18, 2015
morethanadoll:

I'll stick to reading it. haha
funny tho ....I understand.... nice knowing u abit
Re: Why Is A Burial Ground Always Six Feet? by morethanadoll(f): 6:48pm On Mar 18, 2015
phlio:
funny tho ....I understand.... nice knowing u abit
same here
Re: Why Is A Burial Ground Always Six Feet? by 19naia(m): 4:25am On Mar 19, 2015
The digger of the hole decides the depth. The ideal depth for a grave digger in the olden days is as deep as he can go before not being able to pull himself out... 6 feet is as deep as the average person can handle to reach to pull themseves out of a hole... The Grave diggers of old were simple peasants that could not afford ladders and advanced digging equipment.. They dug with a simple hand digger and that was it...

(1) (Reply)

When A Beggar Finally Has A Choice(photo of the day) / Mikeomotoshointernationalscholarship.com / Photo: Abomination! See What They Did To This Little Girl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.